If a Lich's phylactery can be anything, can a Lich make his phylactery another lich...

If a Lich's phylactery can be anything, can a Lich make his phylactery another lich, whose phylactery is in turn another lich, whose phylactery is another lich, thereby creating a coven of immortal liches?

That sounds like a suicide pact for immortals.

If one dies they all die in a chain reaction.

Maybe

I would say so.

It wouldn't even make them invincible, just that you would have to kill all of them at the exact same time.

True, but the final lich could hide in a shed somewhere while all the other liches went out doing evil stuff.

>If a Lich's phylactery can be anything
It can't be anything.

So.... Lich A's soul is in Lich B's body... and Lich B's soul is in Lich A's body... are they soulmates? Is this a gay thing? Are you suggesting Gay Liches?

>At the exact same time

Untrue. You could work your way up the ladder. You kill Lich E, then before he reanimates kill Lich D; while D is dust E can't reanimate, so you have more time to kill C, etc.

But what if lich A is the phylactery for lich E?

>A SHED OF EVIL!

Where does Aumvor's Fragmented Phylactery come into this?

Because once you kill one of them, the phylactery is broken. Just because he'll revive at his own phylactery (lich B) doesn't make him a phylactery again.

Dat's cute as fuck tho

I'd be down for that.

>It can't be anything.
But then how is OP supposed to feel intelligent for thinking how dumb everyone else is because their liches don't make their phylacteries out of unremarkable grains of sand?

It cannot. The rituals and requirements for a phylactery greatly limit what are viable vessles for a phylactery.

Now we can stop having these stupid threads.

If Two Lich's are each others phylactery does that make them indestructible

They can't.

>OP suggests a scenario where X is true
>You dumbasses "But X *isn't* true"

Don't do that.

He should have said something to say he was not going by the 'normal' rules instead of either assuming that was the case or mistaken of what that was in the first place.

Sounds decent enough for a campaign. Party hunting down bosses in order and you have them having to research the proper order or they end up fighting immortal bosses. Could be really good.

Maybe OP's phylactery is a shitty thread about phylacteries. If he spends too much time without making a thread he dies

You are destroyed, and 1d10 days later reform helpless and spell-less at the lich that is your phylactery.

"Sorry bud, but they kinda killed me. I'm not a phylactery anymore. But you're not mad, right?"

Pretty much this. What makes a Lich a pain in the ass to deal with is that they keep coming back; their physical body itself isn't indestructible. So all it takes is one fuck up and everything could collapse.

A hilarious concept though. Would be interesting to fight against as an incompetent cabal of big bads in a campaign.

Nothing changes, you just kill them one by one before they can regenerate.

>tfw people stilll think liches respawn instantly

First comment had it right

The longest they have to wait is a couple weeks, to be fair.

>the big bad lich organization secretly has a few unlisted members for this reason

Nothing about the post said they had to be DnD liches. Your premise you assume, your defeat you groom.

One lich could just be a girl, user

It really, really can't. It has to be a valuable material vessel of a certain size class. Horcruxes from Harry Potter can be more flexible, and even living things and other humans, but Voldemort isn't an actual lich, he's a lich-inspired wizard. You'll note that he's not even undead. Koschei the Deathless isn't a lich, either, but an inspiration for the concept. You can make lax phylactery rules in our own setting if you want to, but it's stupid.

We have this thread every single day. I'm not necessarily suggesting this is a bad thing, because lich discussions are always fun, but at least stop pretending any of this is new.

If he's namedropping DnD mechanics it would be more dumb to assume he isn't operating on DnD's internal logic. In the general sense lich really only means a magical skeleton (there's plenty of things in fiction that operate similarly, but they aren't called liches), and phylacteries are small boxes with prayers or something similar in them

That comment. Hero's defeat big bad. Respawns on comet. Big bad makes new appearance and kills party. Queue sequel campaign.

To be fair, I didn't read that "If" as proposing a scenario when reading the OP, but rather as an assumption that was informing his next question.

The meaning of the "If" leading off the sentence is ambiguous in that case

It's pretty difficult to learn an epic spell created by an ancient evil lich specifically for his own usage. It's not like he's going to share.
I guess you can try and offer him tribute?

How does one create their own spell, anyway? Wizards in D&D can only decipher and copy pre-existing spells, as far as PCs go.

>be this monstrously obese
>become a lich
>somehow still be this monstrously obese
Whoever started drawing liches with flesh at all should have had those concept drawings rejected.

This wasn't the case in OD&D/AD&D. I don't know if there's a splat in 3.X that updates the spell creation rules because in the old editions you could just make up a spell if you were willing to pay out the nose in time and gold to create it. The rules amounted to telling the DM to allow it if the balance point was similiar to existing spells of the proposed level of the spell.

Also most player created spells had the player's name in them, giving them the fame of making it for all eternity. This is where things like Bigsy's Grasping Hand came from.

Shit taste dude unless this is some huge trend I don't know about. Flesh can be fashionable and scary as fuck when used correctly. A skeleton in hiding is spookier than a skeleton in sight

You get clearance from the DM. There are no rules for inventing a new spell, it is pure flavor. The caster must perform diligent magical research, and in their studies find a new way to manipulate the arcane energy into a new form.

However, that's normal spells. Making Epic spells has actual rules. You must collect the mighty Epic Spell Seeds (usually hidden on esoteric tablets in lost civilizations), usually 3 per spell, and unify them with a tremendous Spellcraft check. The resulting creation still has to be double-checked with your DM, but can achieve more than the Seeds can by themselves.

The original lich had flesh. It wasn't until Tomb of Horrors that we got a fleshless demilich canonizing the idea that they rot away over time.
In any case, liches can rot or not rot depending on circumstance.

The heroes have to go on a quest to legalise Gay Lich Marriage.

>Shit taste
The skeleton is the ultimate expression of the human form, you worm. Flesh has its merits, but it pales in comparison.