/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

>Xanathar's Guide Table of Contents
web.archive.org/web/20171016180500/https://www.dndbeyond.com/members/BadEye/articles

>Forge Cleric - Xanathar's Guide
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/DnDXL2017_Forge.pdf

>Unearthed Arcana: Fiendish Options
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA_FiendishOptions.pdf

>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/

What's your party like, /5eg/?

Other urls found in this thread:

sageadvice.eu/2015/02/25/dual-wielding-fighter-extra-attack/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Be careful when you copy/paste, kids. Real last thread was

What's the most durable character possible? I was thinking either EK or Ancients Paladin

Hexblade does make more sense, but being able to attach Cha to martial weapons means I'd be sacrificing half my potential damage die for flavor, using a club when I could be using a 1d8 martial weapon instead.

Also, how would Hexblade work thematically? He made a deal with a sentient baseball bat from the Shadowfell?

Decided to host my own game, only just realising how hard this is gonna be.

How much of a turnoff is an episodic kind of approach where the grand story doesn't really start to take place for a few sessions and the main drive is just adventuring and exploring the world?

I've only really got a loose idea of a grand story anyway but lots of 'episodes' and individual places I know I want the group to visit. Is this a bad mindset for hosting with?

Totem barbarian.

what are good combination to multiclass with warlock, I´m making a cowboy and I want the EB to be a pair of revolvers, any ideas?

>Tomorrow is the Shepard Druid for the last class video
Are we getting anything after that? Or are they just doing classes?

Text wall incoming:

One of the players in a group I'm part of is a dual wielding fighter. He has two weapon fighting, deals dex damage with his offhand weapon, is dual wielding two finesse weapons, the whole nine yards. How many attacks can he make?

At level one, he can make 2 attacks, correct? One with each weapon. Then with extra attack, he can repeat the process and attack twice with each weapon again, correct? 4 attacks then. Then 11th level he can attack 6 times, then at 20th level he can attack 8 times?

So this all occurs when he chooses to take the "Attack" action on his turn. In that one "Attack" action, extra attack activates and he then attacks once with each weapon a number of times his extra attack allows? If this all takes one action, the he asked our DM this:

If he uses Action surge, that gives him ANOTHER action. Action one, he chooses "Attack". He then attacks a number of times his extra attack allows, once with each weapon, to a total of 8 attacks at level 20. Then action surge allows him to use another action. He chooses "Attack" again, then he attacks a number of times his extra attack allows, once with each weapon, to a total of 8 attacks at level 20.

ALL IN ALL. He can attack 16 times in one turn at 20th level? What? this is an absurd nuke of damage he can drop. Not to mention at 17th level he can use action surge TWICE. So, to recap, if he wanted to:

"A red dragon appears. Everyone roll initiative."
The Fighter's turn comes up.
"I attack it."
He rolls his EIGHT attacks.
"I use Action Surge. Then I attack it."
He rolls EIGHT MORE attacks.
Next round comes up. His turn comes again.
"I attack it."
He rolls ANOTHER EIGHT attacks.
"I use Action Surge again. Then I attack it."
He rolls FUCKING EIGHT more attacks, totalling to 32 attacks in two rounds, each requiring their own d20 + proficiency + dexterity modifier? What the fuck? This could take a huge amount of time and would result in a fucking crazy amount of damage.

Our party is dead.

I have two character, entertainer ranger and bounty hunter warlock.

At that point in the game you can get some pretty nice excel functions to do them really quickly as long as your fighter doesn't mind not physically rolling the dice

is 2 katanas isn´t?

RAS your offhand attack takes your bonus action, and you only get one.

Are the weapons also light? Because otherwise you need a feat.
Having another weapon DOES NOT give extra attacks, just allows you to attack as a bonus action after you regular attack so at level 1 he could swing once and then a second time using his bonus action. Extra attack just gives one more to that combination.

Hill Dwarf bear barb with tough feat.

*RAW

>The creature is prone
He get adventage x2 more roll

Depends on the group, what do they want? What do they expect from an adventure? Do they just want to slay bad guys or care about your world building?

Just make sure you have a redline running through all your episodes and make sure they lead to something bigger. The moment the group finds a link between the episodes is when they will fall in love with the campaign.

Or you could make random episodes with no link, just make sure they finish the episodes with nothing left open ended

Homebrew is hard work but the reward is way bigger if handled succesfully

Rate my first sesh in a lighthearted game:

squad wakes up as prisoners in a "barbarian getaway" experience for wizards where weakling magicfuckers can pretend to be competant with weapons against weakened slaves. party's gotta get out with brains or brawn and get their starting equipment from the gift shop.

is this too stupid?

You just don't add modifer.

And you only get the one per turn.

They're quite into story, but the fact that none of us are really into the pre-existing lore is kind of a double edged sword in that I've got a lot of freedom to establish the world how I want to, but there's also a lot to establish.

I think you're right about that link making people fall in love, I'm just not sure I can think of any overarching storylines that aren't mcguffin chases or cliche as fuck.

And remember to eat your greens.

Does anyone have some resources for a murder mystery module?
I want to run a sherlock holmes like campaign but I have no idea how to work it out.
Simple murder in a small town

What are some interesting locals and Dark Lords inside the Demiplanes of Dread besides Barovia and Strahd?

Why do people who don't know the rules even bother to DM, much less try to DM high level games?

>At level one, he can make 2 attacks, correct? One with each weapon.
Correct
>Then with extra attack, he can repeat the process and attack twice with each weapon again, correct?
Incorrect, you only get extra attack on the first weapon.
> In that one "Attack" action, extra attack activates and he then attacks once with each weapon a number of times his extra attack allows?
No he needs to use a bonus action to use the offhand attack.
>Then action surge allows him to use another action. He chooses "Attack" again, then he attacks a number of times his extra attack allows, once with each weapon, to a total of 8 attacks at level 20
Action surge just gives another action, not another bonus action.
> He can attack 16 times in one turn at 20th level?
9 times.
>this is an absurd nuke of damage he can drop
Even compared to what other classes can do at 20th level?

So medieval fantasy Westworld for wizards?

This is exactly wrong. Extra Attack and dual-wielding don't interact. Extra Attack lets you make more than one attack when taking the "Attack" action. Dual-wielding doesn't give an extra "Attack" action, it just lets you attack one more time using your bonus action.
A level 20 fighter still only gets 5 attacks when dual-wielding. This is a large reason dual-wielding is seen as weak at higher levels.

It just say you can use a bonus action to attack with a different light melee weapon. Never state the amount.

I like that you can't speak English well and yet you clearly know exactly what you should say.

Use the default planes, default gods, default races (maybe even remove some of them to get the flavor you want). Don't start everything from scratch. Making your own world is enough work without making your own multiverse, trust me. And if you fuck with the planes, you lose a lot of the Monster Manual (no hells? No devils.)

PHB 189
"You can take only one bonus action on your turn, so you must choose which bonus action to use when you have more than one available."

I'm not the DM. And the DM is quite new but has a good grip on the rules. We're all level 2 right now, but the topic of progression came up. The player started explaining that he can make 16 attacks in one turn and the DM was taken aback. Then everyone in the group started discussing it. We're all new to 5e so we couldn't come to a conclusive answer. I just figured I'd ask /5eg/.

"to attack" doesn't mean "to take an Attack action." The "Extra Attack" feature specifically refers to using the "Attack" action.

First for evil characters who nonetheless strive to follow the law, and use it to their advantage.

never thought of it like that but you're spot on

I'll say that they'll have drank anti-magic potions for the sake of them not cantripping my boys to death as they take their "I HAVE PAID TO BE HERE DO NOT SHOOT ME" hat/sash and try to stroll out of there (hopefully)

Totem Barbarians (biggest HP pool, resistances, saves, etc.), dedicated tank Moon Druids(big HP buffers and spells to support damage resistances and self-healing), Ancients Paladins (defensive fighting styles, fantastic saves, resistance to spell damage, lay-on-hands).

5e makes everybody feel about as durable as everybody else. ie. Fighters will take maybe half a round more damage than a well-played Wizard (mage armor + shield spell vs. plate and higher hit die). Most survival comes through killing quickly, support casting (ie. HP buffer spells like Polymorph, Cleric heal bombs, etc.), or through control that eats up enemy action economy (stuns from monks, grappling and dragging dangerous creatures away, entangle, etc.).

The "durable" characters of 5e are the very notable exceptions to the rule- nobody else absorbs damage as impressively as the three that I listed, a Totem Barbarian really does take significantly more punishment than anyone else.

Oh so you're retarded, I'm sorry.

It sounds like either the DM does not "[have] a good grip on the rules" or just isn't confident enough to correct a player who's speaking authoritatively. The DM needs to either read up or have the confidence to say "no, that's wrong." (Because it's extremely wrong)

Something easy could be someones rise to power that needs to be stopped. No pre existing lore just a new group/country comming up.
Avoiding cliches will be hard to do, goodluck with that

>I just figured I'd ask /5eg/.
you should have figured reading the fucking rulebook

You're right there's no limit. Let your player attack an infinite number of times like that cool Drizzt guy. You wouldn't want to ruin the fighter's fun right?

user quoted the rulebook, and the phrasing of "Extra Attack" confused them. There's nothing wrong with that.
What's wrong is having /5eg/ answer with a unified voice and then arguing with them.

That's good advice, thanks. I was thinking of axeing the dragonborn and tieflings just because my group will be a lot more comfortable with the more tolkieny races.

How plausible is a general civilisation where dwarves, elves, humans and halfling all pretty much live together in cities? Is that standard DnD city fare?

Is Storm Herald a good subclass for a Barbarian if I am the only frontline character (besides the monk)? Or do I need Totem to survive?

It limited to the amount of extra attack.

To be fair he's just really new to 5e. He really does have a great grip on the rules but didn't really account for anyone to be dual wielding. This conversation happened last night and he said he'd figure out how it should work before our next session, and I'm confident he will. I just wanted to do my own research as someone who's also new to the game.

He wasn't confident because he didn't want to just jump to conclusions. The question came up at the end of the session when we were leveling up, not in the middle of a combat encounter. The player wasn't speaking authoritatively, he really just said "Woah, I get extra attacks... Does that allow an extra attack for each weapon?" The DM wasn't sure and a conversation sprung up, ending with the DM saying "I'll look into it before our next session."

Christ, is all of Veeky Forums this elitist and douchey? I know it's got a lot of rules but it's still a /game/ and should be fun. Everyone in the game is friends so it's not like were getting together to go as hard as possible.

Mystics are the future of DnD

My first time DMing 5e I missed the fact that you couldn't cast more than 2 spells on your turn even if one of the spells was an action and the other a bonus action, unless one of those spells was a cantrip. Thus I allowed a Sorcerer to fireball and quicken a fireball.

The relationship between heavily obscured, darkness, blindness, lightly obscured, dim light, disadvantage on perception checks, and hiding also took some time to get a proper understanding of.

I blame the PHB. 5e is simple, but the PHB's format is actually quite clumsy.

What would an arena pvp version of DnD look like

me and my friend tried something similar today and.. it was pretty terrible

>psionics
REEEEEEEEE

>Christ, is all of Veeky Forums this elitist and douchey?
no, we're just sick and tired of retards coming in and asking question that are easily found in the rulebook and/or googled.

Shit.
D&D is mechanically unsuited for PVP

You'll be fine. There is no real trap Barbarian option.

It not limited like the war magic part of EK where they just say one attack as a bonus action.

I am so glad DnD has a Psionic class since my parents won't let me play anything that is demonic.

>There is no real trap Barbarian option.
Did your brain purposely block out Berserker?

I'm about to hit lvl 3 as a barbarian, playing with a rogue, a monk, a wizard and a ranger.

I have to go totem, right? Nobody can heal, afaik

Berserker is fine

healers are absolutely NOT necessary for 5e.

I think my paladin is considering taking a dark gift from one of the vestiges in the Amber Temple (CoS) . He's an oath of the Ancients Paladin. Should i have him take the oathbreaker if he fails his save and turns evil?

Seems like you're the only one who is sick and tired of this. The guy who asked the question got a lot of responses and it seemed like he's not the only one who learned something.

>Berserker is fine
as long as you choose not to use their defining feature.

Standard D&D has mostly separate societies (with halflings integrating with other races), but large cities always have migrant populations.
But there's no problem having a more diverse society, either - you'll just have to explain the lack of half-breed races, which would probably be numerous in this sort of society.

Look, you asked, we answered. You're wrong. Dual-wielding is just one attack. Either accept it and stop arguing, or refuse to accept it and stop arguing anyway. You're not getting a different response and you're not going to convince anybody.

>is all of Veeky Forums this elitst and douchey?
Yes, but that's not the point.
>I know it's got a lot of rules but it's still a /game/ and should be fun.
That's completely irrelevant. You asked how the rules worked. We answered. If you want to change them, GO AHEAD. We won't stop you. But don't try to argue that your interpretation is correct because the devs clarified this almost three years ago.
sageadvice.eu/2015/02/25/dual-wielding-fighter-extra-attack/

what is their defining feature

You can use once a day just fine, and every other feature it get is good maybe better than the ones totem get

I'm not arguing that it was correct, I was just annoyed with him claiming my friend shouldn't be a DM because he didn't have every single rule memorized verbatim. Regardless, thank you for the clarification.

your DM SHOULD have every basic rule memorized.

No. Berserker is also fine. While you might take a bit more damage on a fireball here or there early on compared to Totem, so you can essentially once-per-day get 10 rounds of a third attack, as early as level 5. Three attacks from a raging maul-wielding barbarian is hard-hitting damage. The Barbarian making disadvantage on skill checks for the rest of the day doesn't cripple the party, and If you REALLY need to nova for the final fight, you could risk a second Frenzy at the end of the day. They also have a good level 14 bonus.

Question: Level 7 Eldritch Knight wielding a Halberd with the Green Flame Blade cantrip and the Polearm Master feat.

Can I attack with GFB, deal the 1d10 (Halberd) + 1d8 (GFB) + 1d4 (Polearm Master) to the target and 1d8 (GFB) to another target, and then trigger War Magic because I used a cantrip to do another 1d10 (Halberd) + 1d4 (Polearm Master)?

Go Totem, but don't go Bear. Go wolf. Your party will love you.

alternatively, be Totem Barbarian, take polearm master, and get a third attack all day every day.

And he did for the most part. A few mistakes on his first session are expected though, and this one only came up afterwards. Nobody really had a problem with it and he's likely figured it out by now.

Well, I'm thinking of setting it in a newly colonised, wild land, so I suppose I could make the youngsters mostly crossbreeds, or at least relitavely mixed.

Thanks, by the way, this is helping a lot

I get that - the spell thing is kind of hidden in a section that not everybody reads carefully, and lighting isn't complicated but is kind of spread out. I think the whole story depends on what answer the DM comes up with by their next session. Either way user is wrong for arguing as long as they did.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply your DM shouldn't DM. I was mostly suggesting how he could improve based on what little information you've shared. It's since become clear he handled it appropriately, by saying "I'll look into it."

You only have one bonus action so no.

No, you have to take the attack action to get the bonus attack

Maneuver per attack? Could I use a different maneuver on my extra attack and bonus attack?

costs a feat.
also, what a good case you make for every DM to not allow feats. Look at all the options the DM opens up!

>costs a feat.
and? Frenzy costs you a fucking level of exhaustion.

>also, what a good case you make for every DM to not allow feats. Look at all the options the DM opens up!
hurray, one option opens up! a dozen others close.

Ah, fuck. I didn't catch that the PM 1d4 was a bonus action.

So I can instead pick a Greataxe and do 1d12 + 1d8, then 1d8 to another target, then War Magic to do another 1d12. Gotcha.

This to be desu. The more ways you have to optimize, the more some players feel pressured to pick from the narrow set of optimal choices.

No reason different races couldn't start a colony together. If their homelands are relatively segregated, you'll need a reason as to why - maybe their governments are trying out a collaborative project, or they're members of a cross-race religion that ties them together.

>pick a Greataxe
No, pick a greatsword or a maul

it's per attack unless it uses a bonus action

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet but also you can't action surge twice in the same turn.

Nope, casting GFB is taking the cast a spell action, not the attack action. You could GFB with your action then make an attack with your halberd as a bonus action.

Fuck I misread, you were implying a second turn around.

Okay, I concede, you're not 100% fucked and you have at least read the rulebook once.

Here's my advice: Two Weapon Fighting isn't very strong at level 5+.

Good call, they benefit more from Great Weapon Fighting, right? So 4d6 + 1d8, and 1d8 to another enemy.

>>costs a feat.
>and? Frenzy costs you a fucking level of exhaustion.
The equivocation
It hurts

>a dozen others close.
All of them involving a narrow set of weapons.

>one option opens up

also opens up two-weapon-fighting Fighters and Barbarians even, keeps Monks competitive in DPR, generally nerfs Dex Fighters, and makes caster's much more likely to lose their concentration.

user was talking about using action surge to attack again and gain the benefits of extra attack again, then implied using action surge a second time to do the same thing on his next turn.

>All of them involving a narrow set of weapons.
mobile
elemental adept
healer
magic inititate
mage slayer
ritual caster
Sentinel
War caster

>Two Weapon Fighting isn't very strong at level 5+.
Not for a straight fighter. Could be boss for anyone with rogue or paladin levels, though.
Basically, dual-wielding isn't good for weapon damage but can support other damage-dealing features.

What about two-weapon-fighting MONKS?

I was thinking that it was an unofficial settlement of sorts- adventurers and explorers brought together by wanderlust, moneylust and lust.

and with action surge you can do 8d6 and 2d8 to 1 enemy and 2d8 to another

or 4d6 and 2d8 to both enemies if you wanna split it equally

without even burning a spell slot

>Want to take totem barbarian to protect my friends and tank damage/give them wolf bonuses

>selfish bastard that likes doing massive damage with my axe and outdamaging everyone else

Fuck

TWF might not be optimail, but is totally viable on fighters before level 11.

And by that level I would say it's viable to Paladins too, because of improved smite