Why does Veeky Forums love having adventurer's guilds in campaigns so much?

Why does Veeky Forums love having adventurer's guilds in campaigns so much?

Other urls found in this thread:

kissmanga.com/Manga/Tondemo-Skill-de-Isekai-Hourou-Meshi
youtube.com/watch?v=QNhTJs6fzC8
udan-adan.blogspot.com/2017/09/whats-happening-at-wizards-conference.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Because they're a quick and easy shorthand for getting quests, gathering information et cetera. It's a very convenient storytelling crutch for adventure/roleplaying games if you don't want to spend too much time on worldbuilding and get straight into the action.

1. Most fantasy adventures take place in a setting that resembles Europe during the High Middle Ages, the Renaissance and/or anything in between. At best 30% of the population could read at the time, and those who could read generally wouldn't be spending their time being murderhobos.
2. A bulletin board in an inn? As if non-adventurers don't go to inns? As if inns aren't full of merchants and other travelers who probably don't enjoy being harrassed by murderhobos who are armed to the teeth? Wouldn't it benefit everyone to just have these murderhobos in their own place where they don't bother people who could be intimidated by them?
3. Do you seriously think an Adventurer's Guild (key word: Guild) is just a glorified bulletin board? Even within the context of Goblin Slayer they do more than that. Even if we assume the intermediary function the guild fulfills is something that can be replaced by a bulletin board, their ranking system and disciplinary measures guarantee a sense of professionalism. In modern terms it's the difference between hiring a professional carpenter to fix your fence or getting some guy from Craigslist to do it.

I'm not saying you MUST have an Adventurer's Guild in your setting, I'm just explaining that their all-round usefulness (within the confines of the story, but more importantly to the DM and players) makes them a very popular and beloved trope.

Is this Goblin Slayer-fags trying to put all their shitposting potential here on Veeky Forums, like it would help their low-quality quasi-generals?

>resembles Europe during the High Middle Ages, the Renaissance and/or anything in between.
I can't think of a single system with this implied setting that doesn't also give widespread literacy.
>As if non-adventurers don't go to inns?
It's not 'adventure rumors', it's 'local rumors'; of which adventure rumors are a subset.
>Even within the context of Goblin Slayer they do more than that.
Bull. I honestly can't think of a single manga where it's more than that.

>I'm just explaining that their all-round usefulness [...]
Their all-around usefulness can be obtained through lazier channels with less damage to disbelief.

>I honestly can't think of a single manga where it's more than that.
What manga are you reading? In almost all manga where they're mentioned they act as some kind of overseeing authority, enforcing certain rules and grading adventurers based on their competence, ensuring both a steady supply of suitable work for adventurers and consistent quality befitting of the quest/fee for customers.

>Their all-around usefulness can be obtained through lazier channels with less damage to disbelief.
Name one
>Inb4 "you all meet in a tavern"
That establishes less by default, and is therefore not the 'lazier' option.

Quick, practical and believable

>In world X, adventuring / mercenary work is common
>But no one has ever thought of being the intermediary between the adventurers and the contractors and making profit out of it, that would be too mainstream.

>In almost all manga where they're mentioned they act as some kind of overseeing authority,
You're describing something between a temp agency and an accrediting agency, not a guild.
But I still can't think of any. If you know so many, provide examples.

>Name one
I already did .
>hey ref, what does my character know about [blah]?
>he knows [la], [de], and [da].

>That establishes less by default
It establishes far more, since it abstracts away all discussion and common knowledge not explicitly covered.

Because we enjoy conspiracies where the guild leaders have made an arrangement with all the enemies and are sending the neverending stream of adventures to be violently raped by walking carrots.

It’s wonderful when people are so desperate for a promotion that they start giving you sexual favors right there. All you have to do is assign them a meaningless “rank” and you get a fucktoy.

Why are you pushing those threads so hard?

The vast majority of shitposts go unpunished.

>the Japanese Veeky Forums virgins are so beta that they have to invent a bulletin-board specifically for taking quests with strict rules and ranking system
>as opposed to Western Veeky Forums Chads who take quests directly from quest-givers while they're on a drunken spree in some inn or another
YOU LITERALLY CAN'T MAKE THIS SHIT UP

This. I was gonna write that if you're going to have murderhoboing around, at least have it organized. I can't think of any competent authority allowing potentially dangerous people walking around like no big deal without even having them registered somewhere.

In my setting "adventurers guilds" are basically government sanctioned places () where adventurers can get missions assigned in exchange for rewards. Missions that the local army/heroes are too busy to fulfill or something in that line. The adventure hook for my current campaign is that all the party's characters gathered in the same town because they all were interested in a job description about cleaning a a ruined fortress before so it can be re-purposed into a watch tower for an expected orc invasion.

Japanese Veeky Forums virgin
>needs an Adventurer Guild/Union to depersonalize the experience of taking quests and ensure their own safety
>cares immensely about rankings and levels, tries to measure everything in numbers
>the most common kind of hero he plays is a Chosen One who has deeply personal motives for fighting BBEG
>goes into absurdly long autistic tracts that describe worldbuilding details, and yet somehow manages to deliver very little information in the giant word salad that is his exposition
>writes novel-length backstories for his characters, still somehow manages to make them completely two-dimensional and uninteresting

Western Veeky Forums Chad
>takes quests from suspicious merchants in between fucking whores and blowing all his money on booze
>the only number he cares about is the number of barmaids he seduced, roleplays so well that his GM is basically bullied into allowing him to auto-succeed
>the most common kind of hero he plays is a literal murderhobo who only wants to defeat BBEG because he's run out of money to spend on booze and whores
>extremely concise worldbuilding that somehow manages to be very interesting
>his characters' backstories are never longer than 20 words, still manages to make a convincing and interesting character

I can't grok why you've linked me mid-sentence like that.
Would you please clarify what you were trying to convey by that?

Nobody here seems to know what's guild is even.

That's because most people don't want to be told that they belong to a monopolistic govt. subsidized corporation, so people say "guild" to make it sound less soul crushing

Guilds were something between workers unions and oligarchies from a time when 'politics' meant showing up to the town hall on the right day and talking people down from stabbing you.

I wonder if enough people look at this thread still that asking a question in it is worth it.

You anons ever consider having adventurer guilds work more like in an MMO? Groups of adventurers working together under an inner circle of founders, rather than an institution? I think I see the potential in playing a character that wants to start a guild and recruits the rest of the PCs from both adventuring and non-adventuring backgrounds.

Because Hunter X Hunter is a good comic that I steal liberally from.

Sauce?

That is a super hero registry though, hunters are given complete autonomy with their time - adventurer’s guild require some sort of quest repository. The adventures in Hunter x Hunter are almost exclusively through hearsay.

>google, yandex, saucenao, iqdb, tineye, image raider, bing
Search the image, not the thumbnail.

>The virgin is something that makes sense and is relatable yet still somewhat awkward
>The chad is the exact opposite of the virgin, to the point of being overblown and ridiculous
Finally someone who gets the meme right.

kissmanga.com/Manga/Tondemo-Skill-de-Isekai-Hourou-Meshi
Chapter 05 specifically. It hasn't updated since August, though that might not mean it's dead and burried. After all, "I want to annoy the Pretty Boss" recently updated after six months of no translations.

from a player stand point: because it means I and my teammates will actually get paid when the seven out of ten situation comes up involving client betrayal or just "I won't pay you shit, lol!"

or even more troubling: when the client decides we did not complete the job in a "satisfactorially enough manner" for some minor damage that they had earlier claimed to not care about and now want us imprisoned.

Pretty sure this question can be answered quite well by asking its opposite. Why wouldn't Veeky Forums like adventurer's guilds in its campaigns? Adventurer's guilds are RPG bread and butter and they're almost classic at this point. Maybe you want to avoid incorporating an adventurer's guild because it's cliche and you don't like cliches, or maybe you want a setting that's really similar to reality, but adventurer's guilds fit many settings.

Just a mistake. In the text box it look ok, but turns out it was broken. It wasn't intended.

>RPG bread and butter and they're almost classic at this point

Source.

Not this again, but right clicked the pic for waifus.

Yeah, its shit posting but at least its new shitposting. I also use it to find a few non-harem isekai manga that aren't 100% awful.

>the chad is effectively Conan
Checks out t b h

> Adventurer's guilds are RPG bread and butter
Give me literally two mentions of "an Adventurer Guild as described in japanese media" in DnD adventure books, any edition.
You can't, because the "classic" Adventurer Guilds, as you call them, are purely Japan-exclusive, due to the fact that their usage originated from shit like Dragon Quest and Monster Hunter.

>Western Veeky Forums Chad
>tfw you realize how accurately that describes Robert E. Howard's Conan stories

Why the fuck has there been an adventure guild thread every day for the last week?

Fags of a specific manga on /a/ got mad at Veeky Forums for no good reason and decided to spam their shit here.

Because you keep giving yourself surprise buttsex.

This.

If I was a merchant and there wasn't one, I would certainly make one.

Yeah, it's not like Howard ever wrote a three dozen page long essay on the history of the Hyborian age or anything.

I have literally never played a game where this is a thing. Why do you love making the same thread over and over and over and over and over again?

>If I was a merchant and there wasn't one, I would certainly make one.
That's just called being a Mr. Johnson, that doesn't actually constitute an actual guild.
You don't need a neat building with a shiny plaque that says "Adventurer Guild" in order to mediate the relationships between quest-givers and quest-takers.

It also describes half the OSRfags, what with them emulating Conan and all.
All 17 Conan stories in Weird Tales predate that essay.

We went there and wasted the entire thread on barely-on-topic discussion, which taught them that it makes us salty.

You're in the Adventurer's Guild with your party members, just havin' a good time, when suddenly an elf rogue smacks your ass. Wat do?

There are times when it's okay to be /a/ on the Veeky Forums, but it's getting obnoxious.

(Satan)
Call her an imbecile and punch her out of the door into the road.

If you were a merchant you'd be a fatass in a merchant guild and you wouldn't be allowed to set up a fucking guild charter for a profession completely unrelated to yours

c

>All 17 Conan stories in Weird Tales predate that essay.
Touché.

>adventurer's guilds
>fighters guild
>mages guild
>thefts guild
>Any guild that is not related to a trade
Stop doing this shit

youtube.com/watch?v=QNhTJs6fzC8
>promoting lindybeige
Stop doing this shit

>complaining that someone is promoting him
>link his video
ebin :DDDD

Guild~ or how to jew people out of their sheckles for doing their own job.

Jokes I like thieves/mages guilds. One is the mafia the other is how to manage the overabundance of mages that fall out of fantasy settings.

Mage guilds make some sense because D&D mages dominate some trades and smaller cities tended to have guilds that grouped a bunch of stuff at once.

Mage guild also sound better than "Guild of Bookbinders, Alchemists, Scriveners, Herbalists and Crotchety Librarians"

>or how to jew people out of their sheckles for doing their own job.
Historically guilds acted vaguely like pre-modern unions though. You cooperated and I think that if you were somehow no longer able to work the guild covered your basic living expenses and they'd take care of your family if you died. In an age before unions, before welfare and before insurances that sounds like a pretty good deal.

You sure are dumb, huh.
D&D in particular has entire books dedicated to organizations, how to join and how to incur their favors. Some of them are quite literally adventuring guilds, with monthly fees, quests handed out by community managers and guidelines on how a guild member must act in society. The fact you don't even know about them makes it clear that you either never actually played D&D or you're one of those players that always skips to the Feats and PrC sections without any regard for the rest of the system.

They also provided job training, squeezed out competition, and didn't have non-worker union positions.
Conservative leanings though, which isn't in line with modern perception of unions.

Ask her to do it again.

Runescape has adventure guilds.

Not that user but that’s not mentioning which book and evidence this book exists. Even a link to a wikia would be better.

Firstly, you provided no actual examples.
Secondly,
> D&D in particular has entire books dedicated to organizations, how to join and how to incur their favors.
Organization != Adventuring Guilds. Organizations don't invite literally everyone, and they aren't generalist job-offer bulletin boards. They have actual flavor, and goals beyond mediating quests.
Or are you gonna say that just because the hypothetical Brotherhood of Assassins mediates the assassination jobs, it is somehow equivalent to an Adventuring Guild?
If so, then fuck right off.

Ask her if she wants to take it upstairs at the inn.

Ultima Online has bulletin boards.

>Guild of Bookbinders, Alchemists, Scriveners, Herbalists and Crotchety Librarians
That sounds much better in my opinion

Also I do like the idea of Wizards being organised into Universities and Colleges, with Wizard undergrads being a common urban menace, Wizard academics being basically IRL bitchy academics but with fireballs, and Wizard Student Loans being a common reason for adventuring

>entire books
Good thing you told us which ones.

can we have a comic about japanese Veeky Forums virgin and western Veeky Forums chad going on epic adventures as brothers/comrades?

Only if the chad dies twice and carbon copies walk about behind the next corner each time.

>Veeky Forums chad helps Veeky Forums virgin overcome his insecurities and gain self-confidence
>Veeky Forums virgin helps Veeky Forums chad gain a sense of introspection and purpose beyond the immediate now
>it's an odd-couple buddy cop film

I'd watch it

Observe her ass-smacking technique so that I may utilize it for future pickpocket attempts.

“You see, this kind of rape you’re inviting right now is how half elves happen.”

Fucking fund it now.

The chad better get an overlong death scene with new chad getting upset if beta doesn’t mourn for long enough.

There is a thread like this every day now all of a sudden. Do you think it's the same person who made all those GRRM shitposts?

>Rape
>Implying someone who just smacked your ass doesn't want the D
Explain

Going the academic way, reminder that there used to be regular riots against oxbridge students in the middle ages.

Cambridge, iirc, was founded by members of a college that was literally driven out of Oxford by a mob.

And there had to be bylaws making it forbidden to stab the person proctoring exams if a question they gave was too hard.

The thing that got me on to the idea of Wizard academics was Against the Wicked City's blogpost "What's happening at the wizard's conference?" (would link but for the spam filter)
Apparently the blogger guy is an academic and most of these things are stuff he's actually seen happen at conferences, filtered through a veneer of Wizards

And that about Oxbridge students really doesn't surprise me. Students being louts seems to be a truth as old as study itself.

udan-adan.blogspot.com/2017/09/whats-happening-at-wizards-conference.html

>We went there
People have complained in those threads since chapter 1. The only reason /a/ is this mad is because the people there started looking for reasons to justify all the circular conversations. The guild was just one of the more vocal complaints that kept cropping up since the first volume deals a lot with that aspect of the world.

This is true. Looking at the archives, complaints sprouted as soon as the threads the chapters were first dumped there.

>cant rape
>doesn’t know about weeklong fucking constituting rape in elvish society if it involves more than 4 people.

>memorial being held after several chapters of building up to a fight with the minotaur
>Veeky ForumsChad was gored saving virgins life
>entire party is present.
>closeup of virgin crying
>closeup of casked
>camera pans up
>Chad_2.0 is now standing with party like nothing has happened
>everyone just looks at him

>notice dark skin
>unlimbers holy sword

"Filthy dark elf knave-wench. Thou'st tarnished and besmirched mine purest chastity. I shall not rest till I have visited hatred and destroyed thine race so the dark mewlings of thine race shall never befoul the world once more. 100,000 deaths shall not be enough for thou evil miscreants. Preparest to have thy foulest heart ran through with justice. Have at thee!"

>"Filthy dark elf knave-wench......
More like "buying gf", amirite?

He doesn't loot the body mid-funeral?

Nah, he says "Wow, I'm so sad this incredibly similar person died tragically!" in a bored monotone voice.

>tfw no adventurers guild in my setting
>Characters get jobs from merchants and the guards at best
>highpoint was some wizard that kidnapped the party
>The Fighter is done with this half-baked shit
>Calls in favors from the merchants and guards they helped
>Makes his own guild
>Demands nothing but high tier quests since
>Gets known for Dragon killers / Cult destroyers

>Dick ass Thief embezzling guild funds
>Makes rogue guild within the guild
>information gathering, assassinations
>takes unwarranted actions
>Becoming a threat to nations
>Fighter and Rogue get into a fight and split the guild in 2/3 - 1/3
>Game turns into this weird Guards vs Spies PvP thing

I thought they were going the Overwatch route

>dark
Be honest, you burn to a crisp if you're exposed to the sun more than 15 minutes? Mayo is too spicy for you?

She probably tried to pickpocket me, and tried to disguise it as flirtation. Thankfully, she's not wearing nearly enough clothing to proerly hide anything she stole from me, so finding what she stole on her person and asking her to give it back should be a relatively simple matter.

Unless she starts to cry rape, and runs out of the inn, in which case you might actually get in trouble for being robbed and caring about it.

>Adventurer's guilds are RPG bread and butter and they're almost classic at this point.

I don't think I'd even heard of RPGs outside of video games including formal Adventuring Guilds before coming to Veeky Forums. I've never done 'em, no DM I've ever played with has done 'em. I'm not sure the idea to include them ever even occurred to me.

Dark skin is shorthand for evil in many fantasy settings.

Black dwarves = evil
Black elves = evil
Black gnomes = evil
Black halflings = evil
Black orcs = eviler

Black humans = usually not evil, but if they're copying Tolkien, they'll be aligned against the good guys

That's not my point. You're calling that dark, which is funny as fuck because she's barely got a tan.

Also svirfneblin aren't evil.

>Le white people can't handle spicy food meme
You darkies over-salt your fucking spicy food. It's not spicy at all. Literally everywhere I go, I get told it might be a little too much and it's fucking weak shit.

Blog over.

Actually, in humans, it's the PALE ones you watch out for,
>vampires
>dark folk (which have pale skin)
>slenderman
>dopplegangers
>etc.

>black humans
>usually not evil

in what universe

Most that aren't /pol/tarded.

So western media only then.