Why do you love big swords?

Why do you love big swords?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-FfN65U1OIM
youtube.com/watch?v=rbe3txocfyo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

When I can disregard physics and common sense enough to believe they could be swung around, the idea of one man tearing apart groups with a sharpened club of metal and might just sends my hype meter soaring

It makes 'em ekstra choppy.

Same reason I love big hammers. Swing thing hard and fast and whatever's at the other end turns into rubble/salsa.

There's just something romantic about facing an obstensibly insurmountable foe with only a tempered piece of earth powered entirely by your own manly grit and determination. It's downright infuriating that so many systems and vidya refuse to allow anything to even marginally impede their "GUNZ R BETTER IN DA /REAL WORLD/" boners.

I'm just over-compensating for my small dick, OP.

Because small character+huge weapon is the best

They add +6 to your cute score.

If the alternative is small or modest swords, I'd much rather slow hulking combat with good range, compared to a fast prancy dancy combat with a bunch of anime moves and pokes.

But,the sword needs to be a giant hulking slab of fuck, not some feather light final fantasy nonsense.

Anime-tier shit is cancer.

Cool stuff like falchions and flamberges are good to see though.

Compensation for the length of my organic sword

Fun™.

>not a maul

Because girls love men with big swords

>also Berserk

the same reason we've loved big swords since the literal first recorded story ever.
They're fucking dead choppy, and gilgamesh is strong enough to use one.

I concur. Blame beserk, blame gaming, blame autism but this user gets it. Huge two-hand flathead warhammer?
Y E S

>calling anime on the first story in history, invented millenia before anime or japan

to compensate for my teeny weeny peeny

>This is what FF-fags actually believe

They're just phallic symbols, because they're used like normal swords, while the real greatswords from the middle ages were used rarely and in certain conditions.

I prefer polearms myself.

But they don't. Swords get wanked to hell and back and a lot of systems and vidya treat guns as pea shooters.

But what does it do?

>It leaves room for doing other cool shit
>Make the sword bifurcated with a laser Cannon inside if you feel like it

When your armor is good enough, you don't need shields.

I'm pretty sure that's an axe user

well clearly I have a incredible small penis and therefore I need to have the biggest sword to trick people into thinking that my penis is CLEARLY bigger than theirs

>plebians don't know about gilgamesh
topkek

Because they remind me of big dicks, and I love those too.

I don't. The only time big swords are allowed is if the wielder is a huge monster that still has to two hand it.

There's just something visceral, and satisfying about it. Only if they've actually got weight to them though. Cloud swinging around the buster sword like it's a twig is no fun, but Guts putting his whole body into a swing(even if it's fast as hell) and sending two halves of a man flying, as dust is kicked up in every direction? Fucking satisfying as hell.

What if you're not a pedophile though

Then what the hell you're doing on Veeky Forums?

Fuck swords, big axes are the best.

Berserk. Probably some of the most satisfying fights in manga. Seeing Guts having to balance not just the weight of his sword but his whole body and swing the thing around like a pendulum to take advantage of the gigantic weight is so damn brutal.

I think in general it's the weight. Makes the thing a lot more satisfying than poking people with a light, agile rapier. At least for me.

Also compensation because I have a complex, even if I am really above average size in every damn sense I'll never be satisfied.

>Great hatchets they cast, and battle-axes weighting three talents apiece.
>Great blades they cast: two talents apiece were the blades, one half of a talent the crests of their handles, half a talent apiece the blades' gold mountings.
>Gilgamesh and Enkidu bore ten talents each.
(TN: a Babylonian Talent is 30.3 kg or 67 lbs, and each sword had two crests and mountings, so the swords were 268 lbs)

Maybe it's just the massive unibrow helm, but goddamn do traitor IF look weird.

>That spoiler

I feel this deeply, too big is not big enough.

Yeah, you know how it is.

We can go bigger

Because I decided to use it early in the game and loved it to much to get a new one.

The same reason Homer made Achilles' spear to be large and heavy: it's badass.

Also as I recall the Epic of Gilgamesh did the same thing, and Odysseus' bow in the Odyssey was apparently insanely difficult to string and draw due to its intense strength.

something something compensation mechanism

For real though, it's a very obvious and straightforward indicator of a character being very strong or otherwise superhuman, which appeals to me. It's just a very visceral weapon, you can really imagine somebody causing extreme amounts of damage by swinging it around.

I think a better point would be that oversized weapons in fantasy are not drawing from Sumerian epics. Though as I recall the blame rests with miniature manufacturers, who made weapo s large both to make the more visible and distinct as well as to compensate for the shortcomings of metal/plastic casting.

Because they just kick ass.

i did not love them but i learn to respect it, playing vermintide just watching a rat get cut in half by kruber, a strike bless by sigmar him self.

I'm a fan of playing characters that land on an extreme of something they do, even if it's something mundane. Preternaturally agile thieves, genius wizards, and strongman warriors that're powerful enough to qualify as an imitation of Berserker Hercules from the better FATE series.

Because Gutsbuild is how you always should build.

I like them because they show a clear definition in terms of high to low level equipment and progression systems.

People who use the argument of "but that's anime" are gay. By the time a fighter is level 18-20 he SHOULD be waving around a gigantic fuckoff sword that deals like a million damage.

A giant weapon is always better than a small weapon, and if your answer is that you can dual-wield smaller weapons, then WHAT NOW MOTHERFUCKER

You can always go bigger
youtube.com/watch?v=-FfN65U1OIM

Always
youtube.com/watch?v=rbe3txocfyo

Source on that pic?

I know Turtle Fish Paint drew it at least, and the girl is from Dagashi

I favor oversized impractical, but one handed swords like the Fable 1 Cleaver which is like a mini buster sword.

And the Grummite cleavers.

>lvl 20
>using DMs homebrew legendary bigass sword for the first time
>ac check, roll a 20
>"you deal 24d4 damage"
>but i only have 1d4 on me today
>"better get rolling then haha"

It's too bad every Fable game after it was a significant step in the wrong direction

Especially in their cleaver designs!

But yeah most of their stuff was bad,

Lower Dev. "I understand that we can't give players control over the save system or they may for paths instead of starting the game over, but also if they have no save control they can get locked in a dungeon with not enough gear, how do we keep that from dead-ending the game?"

Peter Molyneux: "Remove death. Give em a scar or some shit and let them brute force it."

Grummite weapons aren't even oversized or anything. That cleaver is just a gladius-sized butterknife.

Fable 3 was kind of impressive in how poorly thought out it was. Replacing a menu with loading screens, unique weapons with shit that's supposed to evolve as you play but ultimately always gets the same useless qualities, forcing magic to be gloves you equip, to say nothing of the plot itself.
Still the first one is fun enough that I want to replay it every once in a while. It looks like they made some sort of cash grab remake version of it with DLC equipment, but whatever

It's kinda absurdly thick.

I've repeatedly broken my Fable 1, never finished it. My firend's physical copy got broken by my brother, the replacement my grandma bought was broken out of the box, and I abused herosave(I am not going through that shit for fucking silver keys, I'm just not.) and high barter back-and-forth infinite money to the point my save file got corrupted on the steam version.

Still a great game though. Not a huge fan of how the magic ages you but ah well.

Every skill in that game ages you like 1/3 a year when you gain it. It's kind of a neat idea in theory, but in practice it makes no real sense when you have things like meeting your mother and looking older than her

visceral. This user gets it.

>Top Tier
spears/polearms, fist weapon like katars and brass knuckles

>Still Cool Tier
quarterstaves, giant swords/axes/hammers

>Mid Tier
regular swords/axes/hammers, knives

>Edgelord Weeaboo Pleb Tier
scythes, katanas, anything dual-wielded that isn't a fist weapon

Power fantasy
I support this gentleman.

What is... whoa. And more handles... Oh my. I'm sitting here with dumbest smile.

Dis git getz it

More massive cleaver stuff.

This user understands.
I used to think I hated big swords, and then I played Monster Hunter. If they don't have the proper weight and impact that they should there's no point, it's just a normal sword that looks dumb. A proper big sword is its own kind of weapon entirely.

I also really like this guy's megacleaver and smaller messery cleavery thing.

Because there is nothing more satisfying than landing a full greatsword charge on a wyvern in Monster Hunter.

I like them because they're too thick, too heavy and far too rough

Is Cestree a big sword gal?

In a man's game of make pretend, why limit yourself and use weapons that bound you to the mortal realm. I will use a weapon of refined earth the size of a man. What can be more testosterone fueled than swinging at a man with a weapon bigger than the man himself.

Swinging at a man with muscles bigger than the man himself.

This.

The question now should be:
Why are big ass polearms so uncommon?

Why yes I do!

It's hard to make a regular-sized character wielding a big-ass polearm not look unwiedy as fuck due to excessive reach - make it too short and you're wielding a two-handed cleaver, make it too long and you're getting it stuck in buildings.

pretty much this. they're cool.

I like big swords and dual wielding and dual wielding big swords!
Practicality is for LOSERS!

Because nothing says weapon like swords, and big swords are essentially better swords.
That said, I don't actually like buster sword sized and shaped shit. I'm okay with ahistorical weapons, but Guts Golden Age's sword is about as big as I can stomach.

I mean, if you ever get to the point where you can swing both of those at once and do well, then yeah, everyone else is a fucking loser compared to you.

this

Myths from all over have given HUGE weapons to warriors as sign of how strong and badass they are

it's sad people thinks it's only a thing for anime

i prefer giant axes myself, swing left and right heads fly for yards around, and then pull off some spin overhead swing like what Anjin does in Nioh, i love power fantasies

If sword = good, then more sword = better. This is first grade shit.

I thought Hector was the one with a big spear

That's a log-splitting maul. It not for chopping like an axe is, and actually works well enough even when blunt.

I like mine with a more realistic aesthetic