1920s Space Race

>"Could man have gone to the moon in 1920?"
or at least can you guys help me figure out if this was possible with actual technology of around that time period?
For ease of argument assume just post WWI technology and for some insane reason, resources aren't an issue.
My players have had an "idea" and I need to brainstorm if you guys can help.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/P6MOnehCOUw
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

At the time, nobody had the will for it.

Ever see the film "A Trip to the Moon"?

You mean, 'could people fly to the moon but a decade after we figured out flying was a thing we could even do?'

Unlikely if not impossible. Wartime advances made spaceflight possible, especially Nazi tech.

No, rocketry advanced immensely in the next forty years.

Could probably get material into space, but a person wouldn't survive the same trip.

This, probably. Something like getting all the stages to fire in sequence reliably would be an almost impossible undertaking for 1920 technology. The Soviets weren't even able to get a satellite into orbit until the 1950s.

Probably not.

You might have been able to get man on the moon by the late 1940s if people really had a reason to go there, but the underlying rocketry technology to do it just wasn't there pre-WWII.

Considering that for the longest time anyone's best idea for how to get to the moon was to basically shoot yourself out of a giant cannon, it probably wouldn't happen

user, getting to the moon when we did was already ridiculously ahead of the curve. Chopping decades off that is straight up ludicrous.

What about non rocket spacelaunch? Mass drivers are basically big magnetic trains right? Like, they had magnets and they had trains.

They didn't really have power generation, transmission, and electromagnetic infrastructure that could do the job without being scaled up so far it would collapse under its own weight (Since metallurgy and engineering also advanced since WWI).

Overall, I would go with: Getting *stuff* into space would most certainly be possible, by firing it out of a huge fucking cannon if nothing else. But you need either rocketry, or really good electromagnets, or nukes to get stuff to space intact, and they didn't have those.

The rocket technology needed for escape velocity wasnt invented until the 1940's

I wold think the earliest man could have gone to the moon was maybe 1945 as some part of the war effort or something

> the earliest man could have gone to the moon was maybe 1945
So, when man actually got to the moon?

Rockets don't need to hit escape velocity, they just need to keep pushing until they achieve an adequate orbit.

That's what escape velocity is.

Well they really didnt have rockets until the 40's at all, not with the lift to carry a man sized payload

I unironically wish the moon had an empire of space nazi ubermench.

Then they could come back to earth and fix this farce of a society.

It's the velocity needed for an unpowered projectile (such as a bullet) to escape gravity. Something with its own thrust can go as slow as it pleases.

almost true, it needs to go fast enough to overcome gravitational acceleration. Also, you then must account for the time it takes.

I'd park my rocket in that ass-teroid

>overcome gravitational acceleration
That affects the force required, not the speed.
Agree on the time.

The only method conceivable would have been Verne's "spacegun" method, which continued to resonate into the 60s.

This reduces the possible payload to something quite small, however, and without control.

I'm curious what plan your players need to get to the moon for. A portal to Azathoth they need to get rid of?

lucky you

>I unironically wish the moon had an empire of space nazi ubermench.
>Then they could come back to earth and fix this farce of a society.
Real men take the initiative and work to fix the things they don't like.

Weak effeminate faggots complain that things aren't as nice as they want them to be and bemoan that nobody else fixes the problems.

I got a better question.
>moon landing happens on course in 1969
>What is the soonest realistic point that a moon base could be constructed after this point?
>We could probably do it today but the motivation just isn't their.
>So lets imagine that the desire to build a moon base is on par with the desire to have made it to the moon in the first place.
>To better define moon base lets say it's a large complex, or collection of complexes with a semi-permanent population of around 100.

Humans can't live in low gravity for more than a few months without having irreparable health problems. Microgravity will start to fuck up your circulatory system inside of a week, but I don't think long-term habitation is viable in one-sixth Earth standard.

Carol has a great ass.

This. Space pretty much just wants to kill us.

Have another Carol for your troubles lads.

Yes.

I'd say this seems to be a consensus.

We all would user.

Insane Britbong reasons user.

That is an issue which should form part of the plot actually.

Are you retarded enough to actually believe this? I knew flat earther was only a step away from nazi, but hollow-earther? Really? Next you're going to tell me pictures of mars are actually just red-toned antarctica.

>Thinking nazis could fix anything in a society

This comment can only end well.

You could probably shoot them there with a fuckhuge gun, engineers have thought of that for ages. You just have to handwave the fact that the acceleration would kill the players. Maybe some sort of inertial damper thingamajig?

So, uh, assuming you can slingshot/trebuchet yourself out of the atmosphere and on target... How are ya fixing to slow down before impact?

>tfw you try to find out a name and Google just gives you a fetish search tag. Thanks user!

Not really.
You need nazi tech to do it

>tfw your pic doesn't attach

It was impossible in 1969 man, go figures in 1920.

Give them the will for it and you'll see a space race between france, the uk, america and russia.

>Carol Vorderman
Literally oceans of neet spunk have been shot to this woman over the decades.

>inb4 some autist calculates an approximate volume.

>Russia
>In 1920

That one I don't quite see.

then how come antartica is on a map when it wasn't officially discovered?
mainstream media is lying about a lot of stuff and ridiculing someone isn't an argument

Wherever this came from post more.

How come Atlantis is on maps and it still hasn't been discovered?

Wernher von Braun is pmuch the reason rockets were even a thing. He was born in 1912, so no.

I cant remember, was Germany or Russia more fucked in 1920?

Germany was in a minor economic downturn, Russia was in an apocalyptic 4 way civil war

Both pretty fucked actually.
The 20s were not a good time to be a rooski.

That's bullshit, but the nazis did have expeditions to the antarctic (mostly concerning whaling), and there was enough fringe bullshit going around the Party that someone might have asked Hitler about a hollow earth expedition one time.

Also there's a bunch of ""suspicious"" stuff that's only suspicious until you look at it even remotely closely.
Though an insane US admiral doesn't help

>How come Atlantis is on maps and it still hasn't been discovered?
but antarctica was discovered

philippe buache (guy who made the map) was an actual geographer

and i don't think i have ever seen atlantis on a map that tried to be serious
do you think buache just scribbled something on the southpole because it would be "cool" for something to be there and by change he got the coastline right?
that seems highly unlikely

truth is stranger than fiction

*chance

>I unironically wish the moon had an empire of space nazi ubermench.

After decades of living at 1/6th Earth standard gravity, thy wouldn't be übermenschen anymore, except that they might be unusually tall.

Giv mommy gf

He knew there was ice at one end of the planet, he knew it got colder as you go south, and as you say he was an actual geographer - it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work it out.

Konstantin Tsiolkovsky and Robert Goddard set the foundations for von Braun's work. While Godard was looked at as an eccentric, rocketry was quite the field in Russia and then the Soviet Union, and despite Stalin's purges still produced the Katyusha series of rockets.

Why is why
the USA and Russia are included.

>Terra incognita
>postulated since 2nd Century AD
>Bauche a geographer is likely to be aware of this
I am not sure exactly what your point is (I should have checked this before starting the argument) but there's some issues.

Could you please define your position?

Have a carol.

Settle down, retardo.

nazis inside earth
note that on the map, places in antarctica are already named

on the south you see new zealand, which he thought was connected to antarctica
but the places on the north were not a mistake by him

>the actual map

Absolutley.
If they had access to technology three to four decades in the future.

Maybe just 2, if you don't care too much about a return trip.

how do you know that that is the actual map
a lot of the writing is missing and it doesn't have a high resolution

I imagine there's a lot of hand waving going on to have a Nazi Moon empire.

Maybe they use centrifugal habitats for artificial 1+G.

>implying man ever was to the Moon
Space Race was "won" at Hollywood, not at NASA

Yeah, they hired Kubrick

Unfortunately the man was a perfectionist, and demanded to shoot on-site

Goddamn this bitch is so extremely milfuckable.

Did she do any nudes or are they all fakes?

youtu.be/P6MOnehCOUw

>once you've got a giant rocket the rest is basically catering

This reminds me of some business meetings I have been attending with higher management. Except in there the decision would probably be to fake it anyway...

The ones on the moon are real.

>the additional information drawn on isn't there!

The 'Sunless Skies' video game is about a British Empire expanding into space in 1910s. They don't go into much detail about how they got there, though, and it's not exactly hard sci fi.

Moving around in space once you're there isn't impossible with ww1 tech, but escaping Earth's gravity well is difficult to put it lightly.

I'd say a single mass exodus of brave fuckers went up to space all at once and landed on the moon or some shit, then it's been those same brave fuckers and their daughters that have been populating space ever since.

Come up with some sci fi technobabble that y-sperm can't survive in space so all born in space are women. The spacefaring people must occasionally raid earth and steal men to help populate the great space race.

There we go, there's that magical realm I've been missing.

>those same brave fuckers and their daughters that have been populating space ever since.
W-w-wincest?

>when user gets so horny that he can't even finish reading the post before replying

>They don't go into much detail about how they got there
At least until release. From what is known, they went beyond the High Gate into the Avid Horizon (space), constructed a giant station to act as their new capital, and (implied to have) dragged an artificial angel to provide light. Space has air and wind, while spaceships are basically rocket trains.

Unless user wants it to turn out that the cosmology of the solar system is vastly different from what everybody thought, there's no real way to get into space with realistic 1920s tech.

>it needs to go fast enough to overcome gravitational acceleration
Holy shit are you retarded? If you're going at all then by definition you're overcoming gravitational acceleration.

The earliest practical manned spacecraft I can come up with is the Sänger Silverbird. It was a late-war German project for a suborbital 'skip' bomber, ostensibly for dropping a nuke on New York. The design itself is theoretically possible but the materials technology just wasn't there. I'd say early 50s would be the absolute earliest for practical manned spaceflight.

But then they're Moon Nazis that have trouble walking in a straight line.

In the Masks of Nyarlathotep campaign for Call of Cthulhu the baddies famously use a rocket with some kind of explosive warhead during a solar eclipse to open a portal to another dimension.

It's bullshit from the first word. Yes they had steel but nothing light enough to take air. Whatever fuel they had wouldn't have been refined enough. Whatever explosives they had would not have had a blast radius wide enough to fit an Outer God through the portal left in it's wake. It's "possible" because Nyarny whispered the knowledge into their ears, but 1 year to get everything done? It's laughable

The obvious answer is essentially no as the space program of Russia and then the US grew out of the research and technology of artillery rocketry and ultimately Nuclear Warfare. All of this was the latest technology of the 1940s and barely a twinkle in anyones eye in the 1920s (although alot of rocket science was pretty advanced on paper by then).

The idea for going to the moon say and certainly going to space was out there. Theres a documentary on Netflix with an almost compelling narrative about an eccentric Russian guy who predicted the space race and even had fairly competent maths worked out for getting rockets into space in the very early 1900s but the technology certainly didn't exist. Remember that manned flight was only a little over a decade old by the 1920s let alone space flight and before the atomic bomb there was no real motivation for Intercontinental ballistic weapons.

WW1 Artillery pieces became pretty huge but could an artillery round ever exceed escape velocity?

>Then they could come back to earth and fix this farce of a society.
What's so wrong with today society? Shit was worse than in the past.
>giving enough of a shit about the probably actually 0,5% of faggots, 0,001% of trannies, to want a literal dictature
And even muh child molesters were probably far more common back then now that people can actually sue them.

*shit was worse in the past.

Don't feed trolls, retard.