Finally get to play rather than GM

>Finally get to play rather than GM
>Only have to worry about being one character
>No pressure for the most part
>Only responsible for following the GM's lead, being mindful of the other players, playing an interesting character, and thinking of in character ways to solve problems
>Once the games over I don't have to plan anything I just have to show up for the next game and have fun
Holy shit being a player is so much better. I never want to GM again.

Just wait till the withdrawal starts. You'll start wuestioning the GM's calls in your head, then you'll start thinking you coukd do it better, then the campaign seeds won't leave you alone and you'll start to see yourself become the worst kind of player.

That's good advice. I should be mindful that this is another person's game and that they excel at different areas than I do and think differently than me.

But I can't see myself becoming that disruptive. I just wanna kick back and enjoy the game.

some people really like worldbuilding and scenario-crafting. If you mostly just want to role-play a character then yeah, playing a character is kinda better.

>some people really like worldbuilding and scenario-crafting
I love doing that. There's just so much other un-fun stuff (trying to balance player schedules, having to babysit players and mediate for them, etc.) else that gets packaged with GMing that caused me to burn out.

Well, you can just create worlds and never actually run any games.
Like everyone else on Veeky Forums

No way. If I'm going to spend time making a setting I have to be damn sure that I'm going to be running it.

Or maybe he won't. I know a lot of players who have no interest in GMing. Thinking about style and on the fly calls would never even occur to them.

This shit eats at me it's always you weighing your experience and wisdom against theirs so either find a
>expert of a system you don't know as well
or
>basically accept co-GMing from behind the scenes with a humble/lazy enough GM
Doing the latter right now and it's a lot of fun, basically like GMing with prompts instead of trying to figure out what to do in a vacuum and a joy to see your plans executed and their own additions and permutations

I love worldbuilding
I hate GMing

I want to build the whole world and then play in it and have someone else GM it using the detailed lore that I crafted for the whole setting

unfortunately this never happens and I always have to play in some shitty setting that wasn't thought out or even worse have to play in a setting directly stolen from a video game/novel/movie...

yeah being a player is a lot easier than being a gm, until you start imagining yourself gming the scenarios you're playing in. then it becomes unbearable and you never want to play again.

That's just plain selfish. No one is going to care about your detailed lore as much as you do because they didn't spend time writing it. That's besides the fact that someone has to be really enamored with your writing in order to want to run your own personal setting.

And even if they did, you'd probably get upset that an NPC did something you didn't imagine they'd do. Maybe try making a video game? Even a text based game might serve you well.

Once I start imaging that I'd remind myself that I'm a shit GM and not get upset because things didn't play out according to my expectations.

>Thinking about style and on the fly calls would never even occur to them.

I think the point he was trying to make is that, once you do GM, those kinds of things start occurring to you.

It's true, too--at least for me it was.

Not that guy but I get what he means. I'd give so much to play a game in my setting, and it frustrates me to know that I never will.

Ask your GM if you can write something up for their setting. Collaborative world building is great.

I am the GM. That being said, the guy who occasionally co-DM's my game would probably run a game in my setting, he's just always busy nowadays, he hasn't even been at my game for a long time. That's what getting into a serious relationship and nabbing a job with awkward hours will do to a man.

Damn, that sucks. Not much you can do there except ask around online to see if there's someone willing to run your setting. It's extremely self-serving but you never know until you try. Or maybe try building a world with your players and then getting one of them to run it.

Also, I'd feel like it'd be really underwhelming to play in my own setting. Anyone else running it would ruin my headcannon and I'd know everything about it which would ruin my sense of wonderment. I'd honestly rather give a GM a pitch and have them run with it.

Yeah, i'm a pretty decent worldbuilder but I can't run a game well at all. Should I just publish a world guide or something?

>not discussing those things with the GM one-on-one after session
Not in terms of "you should have done it this way" or anything, but asking stuff like "why did you do it that way?" can lead to some pretty productive conversations.

>That's just plain selfish
There's nothing selfish about wanting a thing in the abstract. user doesn't appear to have ever tried to force someone to run one of his autismal worlds for him--he just wishes someone would.

OP, if your new GM bails, don't take over the campaign, especially not if the faggot stays in as a player. That shit is toxic.

>There's just so much other un-fun stuff (...) else that gets packaged with GMing that caused me to burn out.

Same. I can handle the actual running of games, and everyone says they've had a good time, but being the one that has to chase up players about turning up to a game, sort out schedules and generally act as Group Secretary erodes my enthusiasm more than any in-game behaviour.

If this is who I think it is I feel very sorry for you that you're still so asspained over something so petty.

Yeah, not like I wasted my time GMing for a bunch of ungrateful assholes or anything

Hmm, I don't think you're the person I was thinking of then. He wasn't the GM.

I'm just a stranger trying to shit stir, swing and a miss.

What's your world like? I'll probably buy it anyway