/STG/ - Star Trek General

Spatial Anomaly Edition

Previous Thread: >A thread for discussing the 'Star Trek' franchise and its various tabletop adaptations.

Possible topics include Modiphius' new rpg 'Star Trek Adventures', WizKids miniatures game 'Star Trek: Attack Wing', and Gale Force Nine's board game 'Star Trek: Ascendancy', as well as the previous rpgs produced by FASA, Last Unicorn Games and Decipher, the Starfleet Battles Universe, and the Star Trek universe in general.

Game Resources

Star Trek Adventures
-Official Modiphius Page (Rules, FAQ and Player Resources)
>modiphius.com/star-trek.html
-PDF Collection
>mediafire.com/folder/0w33ywljd1pdt/Star_Trek_Adventures

Older Licensed RPGs (FASA, Last Unicorn Games and Decipher)
>pastebin.com/ndCz650p

Other (Unlicensed) RPGS (Far Trek + Lasers and Feelings)
>pastebin.com/uzW5tPwS

Star Trek: Attack Wing
-Official WizKids Page (Rules, FAQ and Player Resources)
>wizkids.com/attackwing/star-trek-attack-wing/

Star Trek: Ascendancy (Rules and Player Resources)
-Official Gale Force Nine Page
>startrek.gf9games.com/

Lore Resources

Memory Alpha - Canon wiki
>en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Portal:Main

Memory Beta - Noncanon wiki for licensed Star Trek works
>memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Fan Sites - Analysis of episodes, information on ships, technobabble and more
>pastebin.com/mxLWAPXF

Star Trek Maps - Based on the Star Trek Star Charts, updated and corrected
>startrekmap.com/index.html

/stg/ Homebrew Content
>pastebin.com/H1FL1UyP

Other urls found in this thread:

memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Side_Effects
memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/The_Neutral_Zone_(episode)
sto.gamepedia.com/Mission:_The_Vault
youtube.com/watch?v=RnRwgzjFLpE
youtu.be/jmPdt4IK9Yo
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Still can't believe he thought this was a good idea.

>I only have a beef with people that don't like DIS because it's dark - already pretty explored territory for Trek
It's not dark, it's edgy. edgy in that tired-out THERE ARE NO HEROES WAAH way every single literature student thinks is innovative.
>- or because it has a darkie as the main character- also pretty damn well explored.
>main character
She's not. She's a plot device everyone on the show (IC and OOC) thinks is the most charismatic, brilliant, insightful person ever.

Hrm. That's really not a lot for what I'd expect to be a fairly interesting stellar phenomena. My initial thought was maybe to rip off of that one Doctor Who episode and have a station or planet in locked position outside the black hole that's putting off a lot of power. Though the problem with stealing any ideas from other media is my players might pick up on it immediately. The ENT episode listed on MA already did "special radiation," so I can't do that either.

I suppose what I could do is make the black hole a secret Romulan project of sorts. But what could they be using a full singularity for?

>But what could they be using a full singularity for?
Powering something really serious, a mobile starbase or something of that nature.

That's not a half bad idea actually. The players can get readings that there should be a black hole in the same system as them, but visual contact can't be established. Or some other technobabble justification for why the players basically detect a cloaked, mobile starbase. Though wouldn't the Romulans just shoot their ship first and ask later rather than reveal their project?

>but what could they be using a full singularity for?
As a replacement for matter assemblers.

Maye it's a shipyard? A big cloaked shipyard outside of Romulan space. Building Tal Shiar ships or something.

The Romulans were experimenting with multi vector assault mode and accidentally wiped out three inhabited systems.

memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Side_Effects

I could roll with that, but again there's the problem of how the Romulans would react to a Federation starship pulling up to their secret base. Unless there was some sort of crisis? Maybe not bad, but something like if they don't contain the singularity powering everything then this sector might get wiped out.

Science! run amok, Borg tech experiment gets loose (if you're a fan of the direction STO took the Tal Shiar), set up another villain for later and the station was already hit by them and the PCs are rescuing the survivors, time fuckery (many years have passed inside the station while very little has passed outside of it due to shoddy chroniton shielding and the way misaligned subspace fields interact with black holes; now the PCs are dealing with a Romulan population gone feral and must find some way to contact the ship who must in turn find someway to beam them out of there).

That last may be too silly for you, but it's not like Trek respects how stellar phenomena actually work anyway.

I haven't played STO, so I can't really say anything about that. The time fuckery I'd like to stay away from if possible. That's a sort of "mid-season" type adventure in my book.

Basically, it's implied in TNG that the Romulans were dealing with Borg attacks, and the Tal Shiar begins studying their tech and incorporating it into their ships. It's also from the explanation from a prequel comic to Star Trek 2009 about why the Narada looks the way it does.

I have an idea for you.
Basically the Romulans are hiding an entire starbase using their cloaking technology (usually this is extremely difficult, as the power requirements for cloaking are supposed to be pretty high), perhaps inside the Neutral Zone where they are definitely not supposed to be or in a frontier section they don’t want anyone to know they’ve expanded to.
The Federation picks up a weird distress signal that is suffering from extreme lag issues, but is nonspecific as to the problem.
The Federation ship arrives to the location only to find themselves trapped in a gravitational pull that they can’t just power out of (perhaps a scene where you nearly overload the warp coils as the ship burns all engines trying to escape to drive the point home) except they can’t see what it is that’s causing it at all, until suddenly they detect fluctuations in space. Investigating via shuttle (or Runabout if they have them) they discover that the fluctuations are a massive starbase that has been completely cloaked by the Romulans, an unprecedented feat of engineering for the Empire.
The real issue is that to power this huge cloaking device the Romulans needed to use an experimental singularity engine with a much larger microsingularity then normal, which they subsequently lost control of and is now growing into a full-size black hole...which the Federation ship is caught in.

The Away Team needs to figure out exactly what is happening on this starbase, figure out how to collapse the microsingularity harmlessly (or at least contain it long enough to escape), and finally figure out what the hell the Romulans needed to hide an entire starbase for all before the singularity expands and obliterates the starbase and Federation ship and everything for lightyears around it.

>, it's implied in TNG that the Romulans were dealing with Borg attacks, and the Tal Shiar begins studying their tech and incorporating it into their ships
???

You're a pretty cool guy user. I think I can definitely run with this. I hope the payment of one cutie in a Starfleet uniform will be to your liking.

>memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/The_Neutral_Zone_(episode)

They never went anywhere with the plot thread. STO decided to run with it.

They mention in Q-Who that the damage to the local planet is identical to what happened along the neutral zone.

Thanks, I’m pretty good at Trek plots as I’ve recently discovered from GMing STA when I’m not playing it.
The idea is that there’s a triple-pronged threat; the Romulans (who are going to be pissed at some Federation officers showing up and will likely dramatically overreact), technical problems aboard both the Federation ship and the Romulan starbase, and finally the expanding singularity being the primary problem that you need to fix one or both of the other existing problems to remove.

Oh, and make the issue with leaving before the job is done that beaming anyone or anything onto the starbase impossible with the graviton fluctuations happening due to the singularity.

I swear, it is so ridiculously easy to come up with ways around transporter stuff.

That too.

I'm usually pretty good about coming up with the general idea for my STA sessions, but I'm a little behind this week. I really appreciate the help. And you're not wrong about transporters. My favorite tool is ion storms, but literally any kind of interference and they go tits up.

Course, now I have to find art to go with everything. Are there any really impressive-looking Romulan starbases either in STO or the Sins mod?

No problem user.
This is honestly the best Romulan Starbase I could find art wise, but it doesn’t give a good sense of scale.

Maybe contrast with this picture to to show how fuckhug the base is and say it’s of similar size, big enough to envelop more then one D’Deridex-class warbird.

I found pic-related while going through old Armada 2 mods. The mod community produced a lot of good models, especially for its time.

Yeah, I saw it while looking.

what 4d races exist in trek?

All of them ya putz.

Sisko should be put on trial.

He's one of the upcoming contestants on Chopped: Alpha Quadrant Edition. Hope he makes Papa Sisko proud.

His senator escapade was approved by SF command and his Maquis thing is probably the most defanged and justifiable instance of such ever committed. He literally just forced the Maquis and the Cardies that the Maquis displaced to trade planets.

Yes, Violating the treaty of Algeron and using the Defiant's cloak to hunt smugglers in the Badlands was unacceptable.

To be fair, the Romulans can go choke on a dick.

Well when you figure out how to build a courtroom for timeless, non-corporeal aliens, then go right ahead.

Reminder.

>what 4d races are even in trek?
They're probably going OC.

I hope so, lest the prophets be dragged into this mess.

Do the Alien Nazis and Sphere Builders from ENT count as 4d Aliens?

Happy Mushroom Man.

Alien Nazis were just time travelers, so no. The Sphere builders would probably count though, seeing as they perceive all possible timelines.

PROMENADE

None of that now, /tv/

Ok sorry.

Bonnie-kin

There's the Romulan Presidium from Legacy and STA:III. Pain in the ass to find pictures of, though.

Here are two pictures of "the vault".
A Romulan starbase solarge you could fit entire cities inside it.
Apparently, this is the place where Nero's mining ship got borgified and where Romulans in general were researching Borg tech in secrecy.
Nowadays it is manned by few Romulan refugees as well as Reman separatists, nobodybothered to remove the borg stuff though and so you can still find a borg sphere inside.

Located in the Haakona system, it is officially abandoned, aside from the aforementioned rebels and random riff raff.

sto.gamepedia.com/Mission:_The_Vault

“That dawg o’ mine” must have already been taken.

"Make ship go now."

>"Make ship go now."
Somehow not as terrible as "git'r done". I might have gone with something a little simpler, like "do it" or "begin", but that's just me.

Literally all he needed to do was use Jellico's "Get it done"

Fuck Nechayev makes my dick hard I want marry her so bad and be the only man whom she trusts to show her soft side after having angry sex because she's so mad and stressed out from dealing with incompetent officers all day.

Alynna Nechayev is absolutely fantastic and is one of only two Starfleet Admirals we see who isn't completely incompetent (the other being Admiral William Ross). What about the admiral's collar makes people turn retarded? Do we know what that's about?

Rule of Drama. Most Admirals are completely reasonable, we only see the retards because they provide dramatic conflict. Same reason why Keiko is the Japanese hate ghost, because an episode of her and Miles being a completely reasonable and loving couple is boring.

Neural dampers in neck pin

I know this is the real reason, but is it bad that I really prefer 's reason?

Yes.

"Make us go"

They promote the crazy people to Admiral to get them out of the captains chair and behind a desk where they can't really hurt anyone. The few times they do come out to cause trouble, they're always stopped by a proper Captain.

...So the Pakleds? You really want to use a phrase from them?

"Full fast ahead."

At this point i am certain Pakleds would make a better crew than whatever is currently manning Discovery.

“Mega dick faggotor ninja activate”

I was making an obscure Futurama joke, but you're just being a faggot. Whelp, I guess that's Veeky Forums for ya.

"Gotta go fast!"

Mostly I was fucking around.
So is the entire show. Meaningless fucking around by people who don’t know what the fuck they were doing.
So why not give the captain an equally stupid and meaningless catch phrase? I’m going to stick around until the second seasons but as it is I’m actually fast-forwarding 15 to 20 seconds repeatedly through every episode to get past all the shit they have failed to make me care remotely about and the characters I don’t even like listening to talk to each other.

Even TNG’s first season didn’t make me do that and holy god are some of the S1 episodes bad.

Get ready for some spooky space music.

youtube.com/watch?v=RnRwgzjFLpE

>Even TNG’s first season didn’t make me do that and holy god are some of the S1 episodes bad.
unrelated, but this is my main problem with Discovery. With TNG’s awful first season I was rolling my eyes every other episode (though there were a few good ones), but the actual characters were interesting. Not sure if it was better dialogue or writing or just the actors being able to deliver the lines or what. I basically could see that the characters were held back by lousy plots.
With Discovery it’s not even that I don’t like the crew. Rather, I don’t care about them at all. Burnham is the Main Character, and I don’t give a shit. I can’t tell if it’s the dialogue (they all act a lot like early 20-something’s in every TV show ever, so basically their personalities are interchangeable with the personalities of every single character on every single CW show) and the focus on Burnham (easily the dullest person in the show) takes away from any character development they might get so basically I’m looking at a bunch of literally-whos and who gives a fucks.
I think maybe if they hired some writers who are better at characterization (without falling back too much on boring CW character archetypes) the show could be salvageable, but even that might not be possible with the format the show is in.

Lorca's phrase should have been "Let 'er rip"

Why not "Rip and tear"?

>Lorca gets a Berserk Power-up and rip and tears a bunch of Klingons

Fuck that might redeem this series.

The federation is like any communist government. The only way to rise is not competent but through pull.

>look ma I posted it again are you proud of me yet?

It certainly would make it more hilarious.

HURR AM STARFLEET

>When the whale probe and an excelssior class mate

?

Did someone else criticize the federation in your safe space? I figured you were all cultists. Glad there is some dissent.

Sorry, you meant to post here.
No worries bro, I got your back.

If it wasn't for that weird neck, if the engineering hull was flush with the saucer, it'd not look like shit.

How do they keep designing shit like that? It's not that hard to make passable star trek ships...

If they moved the bottom of the neck further forward so that the area under the saucer was more vertical and moved the deflector up so that it was a little more central and prominent it would look better.

Not great but better. Like Star Fleet decided to make something as brutal and unforgiving looking as possible.

>Mister Saru, charge BRAAAAAAP cannons

>horn sounds

youtu.be/jmPdt4IK9Yo

What the fuck is going on with that distorted saucer section. It's like somebody sat on the prototype model and nobody noticed.

It looks so happy

I am content. Don't like the sound effects of the Isolytic weapons though.

Niiiice. How's she play?

Not as happy as the aeroshuttle though.

dukat did nothing wrong

Fun. My build is shit, but it could be worse.

If Dukat did nothing wrong why did he repeatedly lose everything he cared about and ended up dead?

Because that's a fucking ton of mistakes for someone who made no errors.

Sometimes bad things happen to good people.