EDH/Commander General

Boogeyman edition

Previously: >Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their decks strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commanders color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

>Thread question
Do you have any decks in your group that are "THAT" deck?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/aint-no-party-like-a-xenagod-party/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/atraxa-stax-2/
magic.wizards.com/en/products/commander-anthology
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Fuck Magic.

>Do you have any decks in your group that are "THAT" deck?
Kruphix. My usual playgroup is sort of in that middle ground were nobody is playing anything super casual, but no one is running anything super grossly tuned for turn 4 kills either. My Kruphix deck is really just ramp, all the fun fatties I don't get to play in other formats (like the Praetors, Stormtide, Archetype of Endurance, etc) backed up with lots of counter magic. It usually gets to a point were if I wasn't dealt with in the first 7 or so turns of the game I just snowball into overwhelming fatties and stop my opponents from playing relevant spells.

What a shame that card never got a foil.

Oh damn, that would have been gorgeous. That is a shame.

>>Thread question
Alesha. Between shredding everyone's hands and boardstates and one-shotting them with Master of Cruelties or the Anafenza//Redcap combo, it draws some ire

My friend's Zurgo deck is pretty bonkers

> Do you have any decks in your group that are "THAT" deck?
if anybody plays krenko or daretti they get targeted down

and then they complain about being targeted down

On my way home today I stopped in my store and on a whim I went through the $5 and under binder at my LGS and threw this pile together for Xenagos with some things I already had lying around. tappedout.net/mtg-decks/aint-no-party-like-a-xenagod-party/
Now I'm looking for what other things I need to include. Any must-have fatties I'm missing? Is my ramp sufficient for what I'm trying to do?

Kessig Wolf Run is a Source of Trample in Land-form. So I would highly reccomend that.
Temur Battle Rage, Fatal Frenzy,Beserk, Rush of Blood are all finishers to consider. Note: Beserk can be used as targeted creature removal as well.

Who is this guy?

>Kessig Wolf Run is a Source of Trample in Land-form

By the same token, redundancy won't hurt too much.

Seems good, thanks for the suggestions!

Who's the baddest to the bone undead creature in all of Magic? My bet is on Mikaeus. Come on guys, let's make this place look spooky!

god damn why is damnation so expensive? I don't have any interest in putting 1/5 of my decks value into a single card. Any alternatives for U/R/B besides cyclonic rift?

Dude, they're $20 now, with further reprints finally an actual possibility. Be happy we're at where we are right now. Is Mutilate really not good enough for you?

not when I'm playing a 3 color deck. How good is fade away in practice?

Not very

Urborg too good for you?

Never had the displeasure of playing against a Narset, and I'm thankful for it.

Anyone have any luck with a jhoira deck? Seems like fun but I'm trying to figure out what the best way to play it is to avoid all of the table aggro or at least be able to defend myself

If you play with randoms, that's inevitable no matter how much you explain yourself before the game. If you have a dedicated playgroup, then it's possible if you don't build her as full on combo.

I have a fun Jhoira deck without MLD and without any eldrazi that have annihilator, instead focusing on value beaters and a lot of card draw and board wipes. Instead of "user is gonna win in 4 turns, we all have to kill him" it's instead "user's getting value over there, he's probably gonna win in the long run if we leave him alone but there are bigger threats on the table at the moment".

I run a Jhoira chaos deck. Most people see jhoira and expect hasted eldrazi out the ass, but when its just lolrandumb board flips, shuffles etc. they ignore it.
By the time Eye of the Storm hits the table...

He's such a poorfag that he's complaining about not being able to afford Damnation, I doubt he'd spring for an Urborg.

Is carnage tyrant likely to keep dropping or stop at 20 fuggin dollars?

Any chance you've got a link for that?
I'd be down for some shenanigans

>look at various "stax" or "prison" decks
>they all play under 35 lands
so it seems nobody knows how to play correctly?

I feel you. I have a daxos prison deck and I tried running

Norin the Wary. Stay with me here. Someone at my old playgroup ran the most cancerous version of the deck I've ever seen. This vile mono-R artifact control deck that would shit out Purphoros as fast as possible and set up an ensnaring Bridge, Winter Orb, and any other degenerate artifacts he could pack in to keep people from playing the game and keeping him from checking his phone for 12 turns while Norin would bounce up and down, pinging us all to death.

It'll drop when people realize it's shit.

Holy fuck, am I excited about this. Building Monogreen Ferocious for it right now, but I have a question. Can that cost reducer lower commander tax as well?

look at this motherfucker
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/atraxa-stax-2/
30 lands for a stax deck

I'm pretty sure it should, you are casting then afterall

First time building an EDH deck, and chose pic related because dinosaur.
Going with 38 lands, 32 creatures, 8 artifacts, then filling in with the instants/sorceries/enchantments.
My questions are just basic ones
How many mana dorks?
How many ramp spells? (And which are better then others?)
What are some naya staples I should include?
Also, just experiences and tips would be appreciated

Lord of Tresserhorn

>TQ
A regular at my LGS has an Omnath, Locus of Mana deck that must have cost him at least $4,000. I have never seen it lose.
Anecdote from a few days ago:
>Five player game
>He has infinite mana by turn four or so, all his creatures are arbitrarily large thanks to Kamahl
>Only my Constant Mists stops him from winning on the spot
>He coolly Genesis Waves his deck and finds a way to cast Scour from Existence on everything he doesn't control
I groan internally whenever he brings it out, but I can't deny the deck is a beautiful piece of machinery.

Play the three Signets available in your colors, at the very least. Since you're in green, consider Cultivate and Kodama's Reach. If you have nonbasics with basic land types (Amonkhet duals are quite affordable), Krosan Verge is a solid inclusion that still only takes up a land slot. Chromatic Lantern and Gilded Lotus are fabulous, if a little pricey; Darksteel Ingot is also perfectly acceptable. All in all aim for like 8-10 ramp sources, maybe even more since your commander is so expensive.

A mistake I see all the time is that people don't run enough answers in their EDH decks. Since you're in white, Path to Exile and Swords to Plowshares are no-brainers, but you should also think about noncreature removal in the form of e.g. Krosan Grip, Beast Within, Decimate, and Hull Breach.

>big fat commander and only 38 lands
come on

Play your signets plus Sol Ring in Rocks. You can cover the rest of your necessary land in ramp spells. (get about 6 to go with your 4 rocks). If you want, Mana Vault is great and not too hard on your budget

Green gives you Eternal Witness and Krosan Grip as staples. You can use a lot of wrath effects: Wrath of God itself is good while Austere Command would let you clear shit out while leaving big dinos untouched. Tempest of Light, Tranquility, Creeping Corrosion, and Shatterstorm (particularly the latter two) will utterly disrespect certain decks while leaving you untouched so maybe consider them? And if it's just one troublesome artifact/enchantment there's no shame in swatting a fly with a nuke.

Since you're doing dinos, you probably want to look into red wipes: Pyroclasm (nice because instant), Anger of the Gods, Chain Reaction, Blasphemous Act, and Star of Extinction. Some will kill your dinos but you'll still get Enrage triggers while messing up everyone else. Pyrohemia has a similar function but it's so much better at triggering enrage that while not an EDH staple, it should be a Gisharth staple.

Lastly, you will want some card draw. Collective Unconcious and Harmonize are good, but consider Mind's Eye?

I'm trying to make a jeleva thievery/clone deck and I'm looking for more proactive cards I can play without relying on my opponents having a graveyard or big cards on the board, similar to pic related. Any ideas?

forgot pic

>literally autistic
>enlightened

Chris-chan is enlightened too, I guess.

Decimate is a little risky.
Wear//Tear is good for anything with RW in it.

Death's Presence + Vizier of the Menagerie + Ashnod's Altar

I need a mana rock to replace fractured powerstone because xmage is a bitch

Ghalta needs to go to the graveyard for Death's Presence to trigger, if he goes to the command zone it doesn't.

Sol ring :^]
What colours

Mind stone, fellwar stone, thought vessel, prismatic lens, or any talisman in your colors.

Mind Stone
Prismatic Lens
Talisman of Dominance
Talisman of Impulse
Talisman of Indulgence
Talisman of Progress
Talisman of Unity
Thought Vessel
Guardian Idol, if none of the others are an option.

Do you not understand how those decks play? You run dorks and fast mana to break the parity of your effects, and frequently you abuse draw effects heavily to stock your hand, so you draw a land every 3-4 cards instead of 2-3. You never want an opener with more than 2 lands, and that lower amount is how you do it. Don't talk shit if you don't understand how the deck functions.

I play Damia hand control, Tomorrow spirits/U devotion, and Alesha value bullshit
I want to build Ghave for cheap and not get hated off the table while I do nothing but make saprolings and fungus
Besides the essential thallids and enchantments what do I do

Bribery
Telemin Performance
Talent of the Telepath
Thada Adel

Honestly, is there anything more obnoxious than a standard player that dislikes EDH players? Why are all Magic players so fucking butthurt and intrusive.

>Have a deck I made
>Flat-mate looks through every single card I have trying to make my deck better or take my cards and pretend to trade me for them
>Tell him he's an autistic retard and to stop rifling through my stuff
>Keeps doing it anyway
Literally know ten people like this. Is it just the area?

Perplexing Chimera comes to mind. Muse Vessel can be fun. And anything that steals directly from a library if you haven't already got those (Bribery, Acquire, Grinning Totem, Praetor's Grasp, etc.)

>order some gruul cards via tcgplayer
>10 days and nothing ever came
>contact seller and find out they never properly shipped off the package/lost in transit
>order is refunded
Guess I will never be able to play gruul

You're enabling tribalism just as much as they are by compartmentalizing them as "standard players" and yourself as an "EDH player", you faghole

>Do you have any decks in your group that are "THAT" deck?
yidris storm, group hates it

That's weird as fuck.

The most annoying people I've ever played with was a) a super autistic literal mouth breather girl who was well intentioned but fundamentally couldn't find an optimal play if it were beating her in the face and b) a whiny guy who complained so much while losing in draft that it wasn't fun to beat him. Annoyances, but I didn't actually hate either of them.

People trying to steal your stuff, criticize your deck building constantly, and shit talks your whole format as bad wrong fun...that's weird as fuck and I've never dealt with that. West coast colleges and FLGs as my basis of experience.

i used to have a jhoira deck that was the typical MLD eldrazi stuff and i ended up taking it apart because EDH night literally became arch enemy when i played it

Balefire Dragon
Deus of Calamity
Inferno Titan
Kalonian Hydra
Malignus
Mordant Dragon
Oran-Rief Hydra
Pathbreaker Ibex
Scourge of the Throne
Ulvenwald Hydra
Chaos Warp
Decimate
Wave of Vitriol
Defense of the Heart
Selvala's Stampede
Tooth and Nail
Aggravated Assault
Savage Beating
World at War
Blighted Woodland

I quitted EDH a while ago, what can I do with this?

Send them to my PO box

Build Rafiq Voltron

Thanks user. My biggest concern as far as ramp is knowing what dorks to run over others, and if the cost reducers are worth it. But I'll definitely run a good amount of interaction.
Is that too few? I didn't want to go to 40
Thanks for all the suggestions user. If I'm ramping hard enough minds eye seems pretty good

Give me all of that shit god damn

I meant what deck? Besides a puny Rafiq.
I already bought
Doubling Season, As Foretold, Mystic Confluence, and some other spells I missed

Glissa the Traitor can be fun

fucking frogs

I want to build a mono white stax deck that can still win

What do

Start here

Land tax
kismet
hatebears

Good luck. Ghave will always draw hate because he goes infinite with everything. You have two options. Intentionally try to build him so he never goes infinite or do what I did and embrace the combo god ghave

Do they reprint older EDH editions?

Simply, I just want to know if 2016's Breed Lethality will ever go down in price

No

WotC never reprinted Commanders decks

magic.wizards.com/en/products/commander-anthology

They might do something like commander anthology again, but it's not very likely

Need help building a budget Nath dek, don't know about cheap cards for him

>Have a few too many last night
>Wake up having pre-ordered a box of Iconic Masters and about $60 worth of other cards
>Stuff for Feldon, Gishath, and Wort the Raidmother

Damn it drunk me.

What do you want out of Iconic?

Slyvan Library isnt buget but it works really well with Words of Waste

got a decklist for it friendo

>order some cards friday morning
>some still haven't shipped

I got beat by the (unaltered) cat precon three times in a row yesterday, using my much stronger decks. Someone hold me.

Plenty of things. But I am going to do a Phantom Draft of it with friends anyways, so even if it's not an amazing box I should have a good time and get my money's worth anyways.

Use this...

...and this.

thanks, it's not cheap but i could afford it in the future

Is there a website I can import a .dck into a txt file?

That deck is pretty strong in 1v1

Are you the same guy that ended up with an Obliterator after getting hammered?

>Order some cards using shopping wizard for some wanted cards
>Accidentally order an iconic masters version of a card
FUCK

In 1v1 it's actually surprisingly aggressive due to the sheer volume of the 2-drops and the Eminence trigger.

Is there really anything worth getting in Iconic Masters? Seems like all these masters sets are is like 10 cards worth a damn and everything else is trash

Nah. If I was going to spend that much money on a single card I'd just go all out and finally get Doubling Season.

Jesus, when did Obliterator get up to 34 dollars?

Honestly unless you are planning on doing a Phantom Draft with friends or something else like that with it, it's not worth it to get a box. You will hardly ever get your value back, and you'll end up with a bunch of draft chart that you'll never even look at again. I was looking at the box for rafting while sober, drunk me just pulled the trigger I guess.

Right around when Theros came out. People were probably trying to force some devotion deck with Whip and recurring Obliterator, but I'm not sure.

Were Theros and Scars block ever in Standard together?

God no. Two entire blocks between them (original Innistrad and Return to Ravnica)

Didn't think so, but I don't play Standard so I don't know rotations. Maybe some weird Modern deck had a strong showing around then