What would a high WIS low INT character be like Veeky Forums?

what would a high WIS low INT character be like Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monty_Hall_problem
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Forrest Gump.

Book dumb, not very educated, but clever. Probably has difficulty with memory.

Knows how things work and how people interact but not very smart. Would know if something is a bad idea but couldn't properly explain why

Uneducated but has good instincts. Whenever they do something, it feels right but they have a hard time explaining why. Knowing HOW shit works but not WHY

A village shaman - doesn't know how to read, but is very good at everything a religious leader should be able to do - reading people, healing, solving domestic disputes through wisdom and so on.

And wizard is high int and low wis?

This.

Common sense you muppets

Define "common sense".

Realistically, it's impossible. Wisdom is the offspring of intelligence.

You can justify any behavior under any set of stats. They're vague by definition.

>t. nerd who demands Int be used as a Cha replacement

A combination of instincts and the ability to use information gained through life to make correct assumptions without necessarily having all the information

For example, you may have never been burned by touching an oven, but "common sense" would dictate that if the oven in being/about to be used to cook something, then it is probably hot, and hot things burn, so don't touch it

He knows that he doesn't know much

They are not mutually inclusive. Wisdom can be described as being intuitive and sensible, but there are things that intelligence can grasp that are both counter-intuitive and against surface-level logic. Just look at probabilities.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monty_Hall_problem

To put simply, intelligence tells you how to build a big fucking gun. Wisdom tells you not to get triggerhappy at the wrong place.
The other way around is wisdom tells you that science has been an overwhelming benefit to society. Intelligence allows one to understand it thoroughly.

Yeah, if they're an absentminded professor or mad scientist type, they're high int/low wis. Of course, a wizard could have medium or high wis just as easily.

A wizard that uses his vast intelligence to engage in experiments that might not necessarily have positive outcomes without any thought for the consequences counts as high-int-low-wis.

Like, a wizard trying to breed the perfect guard dog to protect his tower from pesky looters while he's away, who releases all of the 'failures' he creates into the wilderness.

Mommy characters.

They'd be hard to fool, and hard to rattle. They'd have either contentment, or an enduring inner drive toward some goal. When faced with a complex problem, they'd be likely to ignore extraneous details they can't understand and go for a simple but effective solution.

>"Where is the girl?"
>"What? Look, pal, you can't just bust in here, do you know who's place this is? I ain't afraid of you! I got the guards, the courts, the guilds, all on my side!"
>"They are far and I am close. I ask again. Where is the girl?"

Poorly educated and not knowledgeable about things that are beyond their own experience. However, they're very good at judging things based on what they do know; a dumb-but-wise fighter might not know much about history, but he can deduce the ancient tablet is a fighting manual by the sequence of poses the two swordsmen are depicted in and will likely be able to decipher the maneuvers they were trying to convey.

Take into account all the things even an uneducated peasant has some degree of experience with and you can see how a low INT high WIS character can easily be confused for a genius around common people, but become frustrated or confounded when a high INT person comes around talking about the specifics of some ancient tower and trying to decipher the language on some magical gizmo he gives naught a fuck about.

Isn't that the wrong way round?
Surely your wisdom is how learned you are, you INT is your natural intellect?

Did 5e actually do away with "Intelligence is for knowing X; Wisdom is for knowing that X is a [good/bad] idea?"
It really seems that way.
Investigation is the skill you use to piece together clues into useful and sensible information, and Investigation is based on Intelligence.
Illusions go up against Intelligence (Investigation), not Wisdom.
Even the Dungeon Master's Guide says:
>INTELLIGENCE CHECK VS. WISDOM CHECK
>If you have trouble deciding whether to call for an Intelligence or a Wisdom check to determine whether a character notices something, think of it in terms of what a very high or low score in those two abilities might mean.

>A character with a high Wisdom but low Intelli ge nce is aware of the surroundings but is bad at interpreting what things mean. The character might spot that one section of a wall is clean and dusty compared to the others, but he or she wouldn't necessarily make the deduction that a secret door is there.

>In contrast, a character with high Intelligence and low Wisdom is probably oblivious but clever. The character might not spot the clean section of wall but, if asked about it, could immediately deduce why it's clean.

>Wisdom checks allow characters to perceive what is around them (the wall is clean here), while Intelligence checks answer why things are that way (there's probably a secret door).

Is this 5e's way of trying to make Intelligence more useful, since Wisdom matters for more saving throws and includes Perception?

INT is your natural intellect. WIS is your natural sense (both "common" and, like, hearing stuff. Awareness, basically.)

How learned you are is your knowledge skills, which all add INT to the roll.

>Is this 5e's way of trying to make Intelligence more useful

Partially, but it does make sense. Anything that could be described as a "clever deduction" is probably intelligence.

>Did 5e actually do away with "Intelligence is for knowing X; Wisdom is for knowing that X is a [good/bad] idea?"

No.
Wisdom: Huh, this section of wall is less dusty.
Intelligence: It's a secret door! Based on goblin average height, the latch to open it should be... here! Come on, gang, let's go through!
Wisdom: Slow your roll, son. Let's not just bust right in there blind.

The same fucking thread. Every single day

welcome to Veeky Forums.

>Wisdom can be described as being intuitive and sensible
Like wild animals? Are dogs a wise species? They're better than humans in both

See INT being natural intellect and how learned you are makes no sense to me
You can be learned without being naturally intelligent, and vice versa

>56161376
>"Where is the girl?"
>"What? Look, pal, you can't just bust in here, do you know who's place this is? I ain't afraid of you! I got the guards, the courts, the guilds, all on my side!"
>"They are far and I am close. I ask again. Where is the girl?"
That's good shit, user.

The wisdom attribute was a mistake.

Confucius, or rather, the Sphinx from mystery men

Insight and Perception are still Wisdom

D&D attributes make no sense in general. I think it would be best for you to divorce your character's personality from his mechanical side.

change the word ‘wisdom’ to ‘perception’ and things make 200% more sense

>high int low wis
Intelligent wizard who is dull on the senses (near sighted, cant smell, etc) due to all these years in a dusty library

>low int high wis
illiterate retard druid with animal senses, he can’t debate logically but his ‘sixth sense’ gets him to levels beyond normal comprehension

Dumb but wise, probably a very intuitive person.

>implying Int is debating skill
If that was remotely true, atomism would have won out over the platonic elements about 23 centuries ago

Someone who has gathered a lot of experienced knowledge over their life time of making mistakes. Not booksmart, but not stupid.

Wisdom is a really fucking dumb thing to name a stat in a system that also has intelligence.

It's why when I consider homebrewing a system I call it awareness.

Not to mention if it was true we'd have to agree that internet nerds were intelligent.

Aint got no gas in it mhmm.

In 5e at least Wisdom is just perception and situational/social awareness.

If anything, that'd be the average Veeky Forumser's lowest stat.

fpbp