Renaissance fantasy > medieval fantasy

renaissance fantasy > medieval fantasy

Only in terms of specific visuals.

The Renaissance isn't fantasy--there's too much science (or "natural philosophy") in the air already.

In GURPS terms (pic related), clockpunk (TL4+1) is the midpoint between fantasy (TL3+1) and steampunk (TL5+1).

>The Renaissance isn't fantasy--there's too much science (or "natural philosophy") in the air already.

Fantasy can take place in literally any time period. There is Modern Fantasy and Science Fantasy after all.

>clockpunk

What the fuck even?

What the fuck are you on about
For one you push an made up conception that science was just THAT far behind the Renaissance in medieval times, and you also say that fantasy has to be what you think?
There's all kinds of fantasy settings, that's madness

>Default Fantasy (Fantasy Fantasy?): TL4+1 and lower
>Clockpunk: TL5+1
>Steampunk: TL6+1
>Dieselpunk: TL7+1
>Modern Fantasy: TL8+1
>Science Fantasy: TL9+1 and higher

I don't see the problem with this categorization.

Whoops, messed up the numbering.
>Default Fantasy (Fantasy Fantasy?): TL3+1 and lower
>Clockpunk: TL4+1
>Steampunk: TL5+1
>Dieselpunk: TL6+1
>(Punchcardpunk? Vacuumtubepunk? Ataripunk?): TL7+1
>Modern Fantasy: TL8+1
>Science Fantasy: TL9+1 and higher

*Fallout-esque

Because not all fantasy is punk? I mean, the Narnia books are set in WWII and just after it but are very much NOT punk.

some people call it atompunk, or retro-futurism if they're not retards who stick -punk on the end of everything

>the Narnia books are set in WWII and just after it
No, they're set in TL3+1 (The Middle Ages plus magic), with occasional excursions to TL7 (The Nuclear Age)--plus maybe a toe in TL6+1 or TL7+1, if I'm remembering The Magician's Nephew correctly, but that really isn't how you measure TLs, I think.

Low-Fantasy 12th Century Renaissance > everything else

STEEL is a shit REMOVE STEEL

IRON AGE or BRONZE AGE fantasy BEST fantasy

that painting looks like shit

How are any of those "punk"?

dark age fantasy>high/late medieval/renaissance fantasy
that is partly true, but that depends of your vision and expectations of the genre. For many people fantasy is defined by mythic/legendary feel and largely unexplored, mysterious world. It's hard to pull off even with full medieval, even less with early modern period. The world by then is much smaller place than vasts dark forests of the old Germania, at example.

Too developed world ruins the feel of fantasy for me. Though admittedly, it's more about social/civilizational advancement than material technology.

Okay, fine, I was just trying to find easy names for TL(N)+1.

>TL0+1: Caveman fantasy (not!Polynesia)
>TL1+1: Late caveman fantasy (not!Egypt, not!Sumer, not!Aztecs, not!Mycenae)
>TL2+1: Early default fantasy (not!Rome)
>TL3+1: Late default fantasy (not!HRE, not!Byzantines, not!Caliphate, not!Mongols)
>TL4+1: Renaissance fantasy (not!>H>R>E, not!Protestantism, not!Florence/Venice/Pisa/Milan/etc., not!musketeers; includes clockworkpunk as a subgenre)
>TL5+1: Industrial fantasy (includes steampunk as a subgenre)
>TL6+1: Mechanized fantasy (includes dieselpunk and Lovecraft as subgenres)
>TL7+1: Nuclear fantasy (includes atompunk as a subgenre)
>TL8+1: Modern fantasy
>TL9+1: Future fantasy

I name you Faggot. Now BEGONE!

Thank you.

#GivePunkMeaning

why is it TL(n)+1 and not just TL(n)

That's how GURPS represents alternate technology progression.
TL4 = the Renaissance
TL5 = the Renaissance + steam power, nitroglycerine, machine guns, etc. (historical)
TL4+1 = the Renaissance + magic (not historical)

Damn that's a nice jacket

i see, thank you for answering

>that is partly true, but that depends of your vision and expectations of the genre. For many people fantasy is defined by mythic/legendary feel and largely unexplored, mysterious world. It's hard to pull off even with full medieval, even less with early modern period. The world by then is much smaller place than vasts dark forests of the old Germania, at example.

I understand what you mean but it's an odd thing to say about the Age of Exploration. Maybe it would be better to say that early modern *Europe* is not a natural fit for fantasy. The dark jungles of South America, overflowing with untold riches and savage tribes, dark gods and blood-soaked temples, jungles and beasts never before seen by civilized men, is a perfect fit for the traditional fantasy campaign.

More info
>The Flintstones live in a TL0+7 world, with Stone Age technology (historical TL0) mimicking television sets and automobiles (historical TL7).
Likewise, a TL3+1 world has magic replace the inventions that would have happened in TL4. For example, wizards replace cannons, domesticated dragons replace warships, and golem labor replaces the printing press.

>the renaissance doesn't have magic
The witch hunts were during the period, bestiaries thought dragons and wyverns were still legit animals, the best known magical books like the Goetia are from that period, natural philosophy is centuries after the fucking renaissance.

Also reminder: Newton was an alchemist first.

>More info
Forgot pic

>renaissance
>before the quatrocento
>outside Italy, Greece and Turkey
shiggy

The "feel" of D&D is renaissance except people are too retarded to figure out gunpowder.

Which for the record was invented by alchemists trying to make the elixir of long life, not modern experimental chemistry

>natural philosophy is centuries after the fucking renaissance
GURPS's TL4 encompasses everything from (roughly) 1450 to 1730.

>GURPS
I really don't give a shit that SJ Games's arbitrary split lumps the end of the HYW with the beginning of the fucking enlightenment. These are wildly, extremely different times.

You can't even lump 2 of these centuries together for the most part.

Also the Comte de Saint Germain was a thing in the late 18th century anyway.

Almost everyone's idea of Medieval tends to infact be early Renaissance. Which is probably the point you're trying to make.

The more I learned about early guns the more i accepted them in my fantasy games. Guns were known well enough even by the early medieval period it's more than saltpeter/potassium nitrate was so hard to come by in Europe it was essentially reserved only for royalty and Artillery purposes.

I've never had a player want to use guns but i'd be cool with it as they could reasonably fire one once per encounter anyway and the odds of its accuracy is very debateable. Again I'm probably preaching to the converted.

This is one of my favourite pictures a true Rennaisance gun fight.

I know. But I don't play D&D nor care about its feel. This is actually one of the reasons why I don't.

Yeah, a pistol s range is something like 30-50 yards so your first shot is going to be your last unless you have more than one.

For what it's worth, I also kinda hate melee bowing and melee crossbows to some excent; bows require a ton of concentration, and crossbows take as much time to load as a muzzleloader pistol.

I try to keep that sort of realism far from my mind while the games actually on. The dice can decide if my player can pull off his Legolas bullshit. As long as they're doing an entertaining job of describing they're attacks I'll be having fun.

That said any DM who thinks an early renaissance gun is as useless in hand to hand as a Makarov is pretty ignorant is set for some exciting museum visits. Much better than a bow at close range I would say!

AGREED

Bronze Age better than Iron Age, which is better than Classical, which is tied with Dark Age.

But ALL of those are far beyond the vastly inferior Medieval or Renaissance, or god-forbid Modern fantasy.

Napoleonic Fantasy is still cool, tho.

Demand Bronze-Age supplements from all your favorite fantasy-game purveyors.

>what I find fun is better than what you find fun, here are my completely subjective reasons

>plate armour and guns aren't cool
Imagine being this much of a fag

TL 4 and 5 are a mess in GURPS.

TL 4 covers wildly different periods of development and technology, as you noted, but TL 5 is much worse, dropping the American Revolution, Napoleonic wars and US Civil War into a single TL in a way that makes no fucking sense.

An argument could be made that the Renaissance started with Cola de Rienzo inviting the pope from Avignon to return to Rome.

Fractional TLs when? (To be fair, they do sometimes differentiate between "late TL(N)" and "early TL(N)".)

i like WFRP but it's not that good, no.

heh, sometimes there's fun in doing legolas bullshit and sometimes there's fun in being more down to earth.

Also I prefer pic related. Swedish and german cavalry just wielded it by the barrel like a club after shooting during a charge.

my fucking niggers

dark age/iron age fantasy best fantasy

>tfw you actually like both
Less dark age and more pre-roman iron age/no romans iron age

Sell me on Dark age. It's so fucking boring to me.

>ywn see a tv show with dismounted knights trying to shoot each other with their maceguns but end up not inflicting enough damage so they get into a wrestling match and start beating each other with the macepart of the macegun

i think said it best, to me the appeal of fantasy is the mystery and almost mythical quality it can have and in a standard medieval based setting, oftentimes the world feels too defined to get that sense of mystery going

plus I just like paganism and primitive cultures in general so aesthetically I'm all bout it

I feel that's less dark ages and more iron age in general. But otoh full blown feudalism took a few centuries to settle and at least in border regions, by the time Rome was gone, all that was left was at best warlords playing pretend.