2000AD - Leviathan

>A fiend walks amongst us! We have to act!

In 1928, the largest ocean liner in the world, The Leviathan, set sail on its maiden voyage from England to America. It never arrived.

Lost at sea for more than twenty years along with the other passengers, Detective Sergeant Lament is called upon to investigate gruesome murder in First Class. What he discovers will change his world forever—but perhaps could bring the Leviathan home…

Leviathan is an excellent story first published in the British comic 2000AD, perfect for this season of spookiness. The story is ideal as basis for investigative and horror games, with the period style lending itself well to Call of Cthulhu and the mighty enclosed hulk of the ship Dark Heresy. The ocean liner itself (as illustrated by the crisp and detailed art of Matt ‘D'Israeli’ Brooker) would also be an excellent environment to explore.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MlU3oUh0qSw
youtube.com/watch?v=FC9e5LTaKbI
youtube.com/watch?v=p6Ye3-hTYao
youtube.com/watch?v=9PsqUc7F3Kg
youtube.com/watch?v=aObZJN9zDtA
youtube.com/watch?v=G11prumD2pY
markpenmanfutureworks.tumblr.com/post/122157768080/how-disraeli-drew-leviathan-or-drawing-comics
mediafire.com/file/8rn0ro8hbvdxdmi/2000AD_#1351-1360_Leviathan.cbr
youtube.com/watch?v=XQPeTpof1Y0
youtube.com/watch?v=y6Xt5SjHbBA
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/in_the_land_of_the_blind,_the_one-eyed_man_is_king
youtube.com/watch?v=041nXAAn714
youtu.be/Y2iLA3h_u60?t=20s
mediafire.com/file/44j1yiwiakamcc6/2000AD_#1419b_(#2005)_Leviathon_-_Chosen_Son.cbr
mediafire.com/file/44dc4rg4nbs57wa/2000AD_#1465_Leviathan_-_McLean's_Last_Case.cbr
mediafire.com/file/bcwokcq4lzpw57v/2000AD_#1466_Leviathan_-_Beyond_the_Blue_Horizon.cbr
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

youtube.com/watch?v=MlU3oUh0qSw
youtube.com/watch?v=FC9e5LTaKbI

youtube.com/watch?v=p6Ye3-hTYao

Lament was based on the British actor David Jason

Suicide season is upon us once more.

youtube.com/watch?v=9PsqUc7F3Kg

If anyone is reading along would you mind bumping from time to time?

I'm sorry its taking a while to do each post as well, while I did have a pass it turns out its expired.

I find that one of the weaknesses of this story is that this investigative phase could have been drawn out a bit more. The Leviathan is a great setting, and it would have been interesting to see more of it. Still, its a good opportunity to expand on if you were to run it as a game.

Welcome to Steerage.

youtube.com/watch?v=aObZJN9zDtA
King Theoden was once an unemployed scouser.

Well this is all suitably creepy.

Especially the damn eyes

bumping for storytime !

youtube.com/watch?v=G11prumD2pY

This is such a good story

I read it every time it gets posted

Bumping for Shaky

Much obliged to you and the other bumpers.

>"You were drunk and incompetent."

Propa stiff upper lip, m80.

Indeed.

I particularly like how his expression changes ever so slightly between each panel.

Hell was, of course, partly based on the Garden of Earthly Delights by Hieronymus Bosch.

Bump

This prog was brought to you by the letter EYE and the number 666!

~The End~

Almost, anyway. Although Leviathan itself ended here, a further three very short stories "Tales of the Leviathan" were published some time afterwards (I'll do them in a bit when I'm not sick to the back teeth of captcha and post cooldown). While there have been no direct sequels since 2006ish, various elements of Leviathan have appeared in Ian Edginton's other 2000AD works, such as Ampney Crucis Investigates, The Red Seas and Stickleback.

D'Israeli also continues to be a frequent collaborator and Art Droid for Tharg, most recently in a sequel to War of the Worlds, Scarlet Traces: Cold War. If we have an drawfags or budding art-droids in the audience, you might find this particularly interesting as well - a step-by-step breakdown of how this page was drawn

markpenmanfutureworks.tumblr.com/post/122157768080/how-disraeli-drew-leviathan-or-drawing-comics

Leviathan is available in a very handsome collected edition with all four stories plus sketches, which you should totally get if you can
mediafire.com/file/8rn0ro8hbvdxdmi/2000AD_#1351-1360_Leviathan.cbr

Thank you based user.

Good read, I am interested in the short stories if you could post them

As always Shaka, you da fucking man!

And also as always with these 2000ad comics, I find myself imagining what an amazing film this could be

I can indeed. Part One: Chosen Son.

Me too. I sometimes try to score them as I read along, with mixed success. I thought the sequence from here to the end worked well with this because the choral part kicked in for me just as it came to the freed souls. YMMV
youtube.com/watch?v=XQPeTpof1Y0

>It is churlish to base your evidence on a single source.

youtube.com/watch?v=y6Xt5SjHbBA

"In the kingdom of the blind, the One Eyed Man is King" is an ancient proverb and very nearly the title of a story by H. G. Wells. It means that a man with only limited knowledge or ability will always be in a better position than those who have neither.

en.wiktionary.org/wiki/in_the_land_of_the_blind,_the_one-eyed_man_is_king

Part Two: McClean's Last Case.

>Unfortunately, the closest this whiskey's been to Scotland is the bathtub still of an Aberdeen bootlegger.

This is a classic plot hook for Rogue Trader.

The greatest British Hero.

youtube.com/watch?v=041nXAAn714

youtu.be/Y2iLA3h_u60?t=20s

Part Three: Beyond the Blue Horizon.

The End. Truly this time.

mediafire.com/file/44j1yiwiakamcc6/2000AD_#1419b_(#2005)_Leviathon_-_Chosen_Son.cbr
mediafire.com/file/44dc4rg4nbs57wa/2000AD_#1465_Leviathan_-_McLean's_Last_Case.cbr
mediafire.com/file/bcwokcq4lzpw57v/2000AD_#1466_Leviathan_-_Beyond_the_Blue_Horizon.cbr

This is dope, thanks.

So that's where that comes from

BOOMP

Thank you based Shakaranon, it was a nice ride while it lasted. See you next time

Glad you liked it. I promised an user I'd get around to doing it and some Strontium Dog in July, I think, but things went a bit wrong around then. Halloween seemed like the perfect time to drop this one at least - I hope they see it before the thread dies!

I may or may not have the time to storytime some more tomorrow morning, but I can try to find other appropriate stuff if people are interested.

Better in context!

Like I said, hopefully I'll have some time tomorrow morning. We'll see.

>be beaky demonic heirophant
>get human soul stuck in throat
>sitting on too high a chair for any of the beaky bishopry to give heimlich remover
>have to spend eternity pretending it's just "a look" you're going with now.

Being beaky heirophant is suffering.

Is that a reference to the one kinda cool moment in the terrible 90s US godzilla movie that got into all the trailers for it? Wait, this is B&W AD 2000, must have been pre-godzilla (or godzilla stole from this)

>"She'll want a John Thomas next!"

I say!

It's 4 color 2000AD; fake B&W. 2003, so it could be a Zilla reference (though I sincerely hope not).

It's a Sesame Street reference.

>that eye-shaped sigil, hung prominently on the wall
Nope, this is not at all foreshadowing anything whatsoever.

Does this have anything to do with that awful, awful movie?

No.

Hell yeah Shakaranon, another 2000ad storytime. Always love these, I remember reading this when it came out, it still holds up well. Doing gods work.

>literally Bert and Ernie
Fucking wew, laddies.

Stronty-Dog-requesting user here, I found them by myself eventually, but appreciate you posting this classic nevertheless. Keep up the good work Shakaranon, we all love you.

>Halo with blue hair

Is that canon? I hope not.