/bgg/ Board Game General - amazing SJWs haven't attacked he Jaipur app for racism edition

Previous thread
Map
>zeemaps.com/map?group=2658308#
Pastebin
>pastebin.com/3ZbrVRMu

Last thread we had some anons posting inserts, what's your favorite /bgg/? Are you a fan of the valley/channel style prioritizing cost over aesthetics? Is vacuform king despite often not being future proof? Would you rather have foamcore or laser cut wood when using a custom insert? Let's see some more pictures of your favorite sexy boxes.

Other urls found in this thread:

boardgamegeek.com/thread/1404886/good-compartment-boxes-fs
youtube.com/watch?v=Z5oKcm6jMxg
miniaturemarket.com/reviewcorner/gmt-coin-series-buyers-guide/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Got superbored and printed myself Utopia Engine. I never played solitaire games before, but it was surprisingly fun. Any other great PnPs I'm missing, solo or not?

I like inserts where everything fits neatly without wasting space. Jaipur is a great one and I can't stand the channel inserts. My goal is to make a foamcore insert for all of my channel insert games. Pic related is one I made for Diplomacy a few months ago

For reference, here's the insert Diplomacy came with

>Utopia Engine

What is this?

Also I've sort of got a Boardgame Wishlist I'd love to try, I need some advice whether these are worth it:
Arkham Horror Cardgame
Abyss
Gloomhaven
Near and Far/7th continent
The Others

Also is there anything else comparable/as good as Terraforming Mars? I played it with my GF and she loved it and wants to buy it, any other games that are semi-competitive but not directly. or where you build something together?

>7th Continent
Its an overpriced choose-your-own-adventure book. Literally why would you even consider this shit?

>anything else comparable/as good as Terraforming Mars

Everything else, TM is "babbies first hype by normie tards" tier.

I've got Tiny Epic Quest coming in the mail that should arrive in a few days. I'm pretty excited about it!

Yeah, but my GF isn't very tactical or good at boardgames.
She liked this because it gets you to build stuff together and compete. It also has an OK theme. So the babbies first is actually a plus.

>7th continent
Because in my group 1001 Nights was a huge hit and they liked Above and Below. It's fun to see what happens to them.

I prefer playing chaos in the old world and other things, but story-games are fun to my colleagues.

>build stuff together and compete

Archipelago

Thanks I'll bring it up.

>chaos in the old world
FUCK OFF

It isn't that it's a simple game, it's that it's just a flat out bad game. Everything and I mean everything is left up to card draw. Every other mechanic is just fluff to pull wool over your eyes. Everyone gets a little hyped playing the game the first time but by the third game it should become blantantly obvious you're not actually doing anything.

Its a drafting game. If you haven't played with drafting your judging a game by its introductory game mode.

>Are you a fan of the valley/channel style prioritizing cost over aesthetics?
I dont even consider those to be inserts, they're more like packing material, ensuring the contents of the box dont rattle around
>Is vacuform king despite often not being future proof?
I end up getting rid of most vacuform trays because sleeving renders most of them useless. Expansions are another issue.
>Would you rather have foamcore or laser cut wood when using a custom insert? Let's see some more pictures of your favorite sexy boxes.
I use foamcore or 3D prints for cost reasons, but those laser cut inserts sure do look sexy as fuck. I'm sure I'll buy one eventually.

So many assholes shitting up these threads these days, wtf happened to /bgg/ ?

I build my own inserts and I vastly prefer the look of foamcore to the laser cut wood options. Foamcore inserts doesn't seem to take attention away from the game components where as the wood ones seems to want attention.

Drafting is such a slog in that game though. When you dream you increase it's already too long play time by another hour, but then you're only drafting a third of the time and it still doesn't make victory feel any less random.

>wtf happened to /bgg/
We stopped playing bad games? If you wanna discuss bad games, you can always go next door to reddit or boardgamegeek.

Give Utopia Engine: Beast Hunter a go. It's the same idea but feels more polished.

>Arkham Horror Cardgame
Only worth it if you're in for the whole ride, I think. Unless you're playing on Easy, you need a second core set. Still, you can buy one set to give yourself an idea of the mechanics and see if you want to commit.

>pick up kitchen rush
>excited to play, set it all out
>notice that some of the sand timers have more sand than the others
>take time
>fastest one is 22 seconds, slowest one is 33

3-4 seconds is acceptable. 11 seconds shouldn't be. How did the supplier screw the pooch so badly on this? It's not too much to ask that the sand timers are roughly equal in a game expressly about time management.

I guess I'll give it a shot by not picking the really fast ones, but I'm kinda torqued off. Doubt they'll replace them, either. Any idea where I can get cheap 30 sec timers (assuming that's what the're meant to be because the rulebook certainly won't tell me)?

>Doubt they'll replace them, either.
You sure about that? I've had a number of publishers in the past get back to me pretty quickly about replacement parts. A friend of mine even did it for a sand timer once that was pretty far off so that's not really unheard of.

classic
looks exactly like acquire

>Micropul
>Chunky Fighters (muh aesthetics)
>Zombie Plague (bretty good burgerspiel)
>Delve the Dice Game
>Onitama
>Battle for Arnhem (simple chit based wargame)

t. poorfag who PnP'ed the games above, Hive, Vast, Stockpile, Santorini, Raptor, Resistance: Avalon, Secret Hitler, ONUW, the Duke, Summoner Wars, Mascarade

>So many assholes shitting up these threads these days, wtf happened to /bgg/ ?

Apparently anyone who couldn't make the grade on /b/ or /pol/ thought that /bgg/ would be their "safe space". When someone's entire argument can be summed up as "Waaaah! Stop liking what I don't like!" you know you're dealing with a moron or a failed troll. Just ignore them. They're to stupid to feed themselves and will starve soon enough.

0/10

Wow! Why did they even bother? That's zero help. I can see why you'd want something (anything) better than that.

I cheated - I used a Plano tray for my Eclipse counters.

Just pop this out of the box, and place it on the tech sheet and gaming is a go!

>Hive
Had a friend cut me a set from plexiglas. Transparent pieces look even comfier than commercial ones.

Did you have someone etch / laser etch the images on? I can see that looking really cool.

Nah, the bugs are just stickers, I'm not that advanced

>Last thread we had some anons posting inserts, what's your favorite /bgg/?

Normally I'm not a fan of the plastic inserts, particularly in card based games / deck builders because they rarely make them big enough to hold the cards after they've been sleeved. That said, the plastic insert for Carcassonne Big Box 5 was very well done, and the insert for the Designer edition of OGRE is just plain amazing.

Otherwise I general use foam-core or plano boxes. I do like the laser-cut stuff from Broken Token, but I don't own any of their designs.

I got some Plano boxes for my copy of Forbidden Stars

Pics?

Hmmm, I do have Forbidden Stars and some extra boxes. Might have to do that for mine too. :)

Ignore anyone who tries to denigrate Terraforming Mars as being for babbies.It's a good game one of the top 5 games on the geek so you're gonna find it hard to compare DESU.

I was gonna rec Archipelago on the semi co-op front but someone else got there first. Bear in mind there's a few different perceptions about what is semi co-op. If you can play more than 2 (at least 3) I'd highly recommend Dead of Winter Long Night, it can be bought via online retailers in the UK for circa £25

I would recommend you check out "Rhado runs through" reviews as he specifically focuses on games for himself and his wife.

>one of the top 5 games on the geek so you're gonna find it hard to compare DESU.
>unironically reccing DoW
>unironically reccing Rhado Whines Through(tm)
>plebbit spacing
This whole post was saddening.

Here's the thread that gave me the idea, hope it helps :)

boardgamegeek.com/thread/1404886/good-compartment-boxes-fs

I'm upset that you're sad.

Any heavier game recs for a board gaming pleb like me? Been leaning towards Power Grid and Twilight Struggle because I like the idea of games with different phases as the game progresses

>I like the idea of games with different phases as the game progresses

Brass?

>to build stuff together and compete
roll for the galaxy might work
7 wonders you buy resources from neighbors, and otherwise don't really directly compete
Village you get to travel and have babies, direct competition is in resource/turn gathering
Clank! you're both going into the same dungeon to see who steals more, the dragon is the dangerous one
Then there are like forbidden island, forbidden desert and forbidden stars which are full coop games
One Deck Dungeon has a two player mode I haven't tried, full coop but really hard if you're playing right

>Onitama
save yourself some paper and play on andriod
or save yourself some time and don't play

that's awesome that size and shape and count are consistent, or close enough. you think the designer did that on porpoise?

>and his wife
pretty sure Rhado is a drag queen and Jen is his alter

>non-existent spacing issues

It's like English has grammar rules!

>not being upset about the misspelling of Rahdo
I mean sure the rest is bad too, but if user is going to recommend a channel to watch you'd expect him to spell it properly

Thank you user, that's appreciated.

>and his wife
pretty sure *ahem* Rahdo is a drag queen and Jen is his alter

Oh poor user, I can see where those pesky nits would inflame your ass-burgers. Pic related just for you.

I actually modified the Plano tray. So no - I doubt the game designer really considered that as a factor when creating the game. The one for OGRE Designer edition on the other hand was definitely well thought out.

Valley Games reprint of Titan is one of the few inserts that I haven't thrown out and is one of my favourite inserts, though I do need to somehow baggie the wound and score counters, Survive: Escape from Atlantis and Archipelago are games that I've kept the insert for

this is nothing compared to the Santorini shitshow, stop being a manchild

speaking of, never participated in the Santorini shit but I do find it hilarious that it almost never gets brought up anymore

Imperial has implicitly defined phases in that there's a "phase" of a build-up of nations, a "phase" of determining which nations are likely to become the power nations, a "phase" of people trying to out-bid each other to take control of those nations and then finally a "phase" of trying to do taxation as often as possible to end the game. none of this is explicitly defined in the rules

>almost never gets brought up anymore
Likely because people realized it resulted in nothing but shitposts, Summoner Wars went the same way, people still enjoy it they just know better than to post it here

>almost never gets brought up anymore

Actually it's always put forward whenever anyone asks about low player count abstract games. You know, the category it's specifically tailored for.

Wooden inserts are great when done right. I made the mistake though of thinking they'd all be well designed after getting the really sexy Xia insert. Got one for 7 Wonders to condense it down to one box and man that one sucks. I get it, there's a lot of weird tokens when you get into the expansions, but they made like 6 containers for tokens and you just kinda have to pick and choose what goes in each, undoubtedly mixing shit that doesn't go together. Doesn't come with enough dividers by default to sell you more on their site, and they didn't build ANY place for the great project cards. You just have to throw them on top with the instructions and the lid doesn't sit quite nicely thanks to that.

Now for their cost I have to be way more careful thinking of getting inserts. I'll probably try the foam solutions next time I want a game to be condensed down better.

eh, what? Why would people have a problem with Summoner Wars?

It's Veeky Forums, everyone has a problem with everything.

Dice combat, mostly.

Both true, also it had a lot of hype behind it when it released, which turned a lot of people off. For a week or two shortly after it released if you asked for a rec on /bgg/ the only answer you could get was Summoner Wars because people were so salty over it

>pretty sure *ahem* Rahdo is a drag queen and Jen is his alter

He's a bloody good one then. DESU I don't watch his videos, he likes 2 player games, I'm more family oriented (so will watch the odd Tom Vasel if pushed) but prefer reading reviews.

youtube.com/watch?v=Z5oKcm6jMxg

I dunno, maybe I got my rose tinted glasses on today, but it seemed we got some actual interesting posts with a few shitposts sprinkled sporadically, back in my day.
I dunno, disregard that, I suck cocks.

That looks fucking hot.

what hype? what the fuck? Granted, I wasn't on the threads at the time, but if people expected more out of it that what it was, then that's their fucking fault. It's just a relatively simple card-based tactics game with dice. I don't recall the company advertising or marketing it as some kind of second coming.

Reviewers user, it was Plaid Hat's first game so they didn't have the budget to hype it, but reviewers went nuts over it for a while

So I've been interested in 3 games, are any of them good? They are:
Scythe
Axis and allies
Diplomacy

They're all good at one specific thing.
Scythe is good because it's a typical euro but has theme so it can attract people who would usually avoid that stuff.
A&A is cool if you want Risk+++
Diplomacy is great at creating fun situations to betray people, just don't play with people who get butthurt too easily.

I'd suggest just getting Kemet.

yeah, I've only been posting in here since a couple months before TI3 Chick had her meltdown and the Discord channel fell apart, so I never had the priviledge of seeing the height of Summoner Wars "discussion"

I'm still baffled and amused at how a simple subjective comment about how I don't feel that TtR is a train game had completely derailed one thread of any other discussion

true. that said, the last two threads have been fairly decent and higher standard than usual (with the usual dips you should expect) and this one seems to be going ok so far

I'm ambivalent towards Summoner Wars, I like it for being a quick light-weight dice-based combat game but most of the time I want to play Titan or Cave Evil: Warcults instead

>TI3 Chick had her meltdown
LMAO can you tell me what happened here?

Temper your expectations, gameplay and decision points are limited, the collective dice pool during the night phase is fun but I was generally underwhelmed with this game

It's such a cozy fit in the box, I love it. Plus having the store setup like that is a life saver. The biggest part of setup for this game is separating out all those upgrade pieces. Does not leave an inch of room for another expansion but given we got 1 major expansion 2 years later and now he's working on a big new project, I think this is all we need.

Other than that, I mentioned the Seasons insert last thread. I like games that future proof their inserts, which sadly I can never sleeve Seasons if I want it all in 1 box. Baseball Highlights 2045 came in a bigger box than you'd think you'd need but sleeved up with all the expansions and a couple extra starting teams I have it in a nice snug fit. Hopefully they don't make more, the store deck is already absurdly huge. Nice of them to make a sleeve friendly insert with way too many slots for cards. Mechs vs Minions is just some sleeve sized card spots away from perfection, which is a shame because that is definitely a game I WOULD sleeve with how much play it gets and the amount of shuffling.

Too Many Bones has a nice insert. Comes with 2 extra dice trays and a deep enough hole to fit all the characters in 1 box if you get them, though I suspect Undertow might have to awkwardly be it's own box. At least the new kickstarter is expanding the poker chip holders to make the new expansion monsters all fit. Not pictured is the tray underneath that top layer, it's a deep box.

you forgot he used 'circa' for a price.
what a mess of a fucking post.

Anything for a fellow user

If you like to sit down at play for over 8 hours with enough dice chucking to make a binomial distribution with a ww2 theme, then A&A is the game for you. The game is really immersive as you feel like a field marshall managing theatres of war though there is a lot of downtime between turns.

The 1940 2nd edition is balanced enough unless you're looking up strategies and stuff ,which I seriously do not recommend since it railroads the game.
A&A was the first serious board game I got into which Ive played for 100+ hours, but at this point Im only playing it once or twice a year.

I'd like to buy Kemet, Fury of Dracula, Chaos in the old World and some other games that are out print.
Where would you get a hold of these games for a reasonable price in Europe, or specifically UK?

Kemet isn't OOP, it's just between runs.
As for Fury and Chaos, I'd suggest learning a foreign language and buying the Italian or Polish edition.

eh, what? Kemet is out of print? I didn't know that. I guess it's because there's still copies sitting around here.

Oh I just assumed Kemet was out of print, my mistake.Guess I can find the rules in an english PDF for those games. Still annoying though.

>Guess I can find the rules in an english PDF for those games
Fury and Chaos are heavily text-dependent, they both have quite a few cards.
Kemet is completely text-independent.

God damn it!

Chaos isn't that good without the expac anyway, and Wizkidz is reprinting Fury.

Any other 4 player game like CitOW you'd recommend?

Any COIN game.
miniaturemarket.com/reviewcorner/gmt-coin-series-buyers-guide/

Can I get a rec for a game with combat mini-game inside? I'm looking for something like arena duels in Spartacus or how combat works in v:tes.
Unrelated questions is Gloomhaven overhyped?

Cthulhu Wars is pretty alright, ironically as long as you don't go down the rabbit hole of xpacs. It's kind of expensive though.

We used to have a tripfag called TI3 chick in these threads. She went full autismo over every game she purchased and shared a lot of unnecessary and sometimes contradictory information about herself. She left because she couldn’t handle the bantz and back then we had barely any shitposting so I don’t imagine she’ll ever return.

I didn't realize there were people out there who still haven't realized that was just Steev larping...

>gameplay and decision points are limited
Was this the only issue you had with the game or were there others?

>Concordia
>Orleans
>Keyflower
If you have to choose 2, what'd they be?

now that essen and gen con are over, what were the worthwhile games?

seems like century spice road, photosynthesis, gloomhaven. anything else new and interesting? this year seemed a little lacking to me.

Civ New Dawn looks good.

samefag, meant to say: what were the worthwhile games of the year?

The iteMeeples are super meh and a pain to deal with, also due to the limited number of turns the potential to utilize their powers is minimized, map card layout is a little fiddly and you have to be gentle to avoid spinning things around, iconography for the spells is hard to find, there's plenty of room to make that symbol huge but they keep it tiny on the map card, half of the quests are just arrange your meeples in this pattern, there is no story present at all, I know it's a Timy epic and shouldn't expect much but there is nothing there

All that being said the game is okay, day phase is puzzley how to move all meeples to be set up correctly for the night phase, the custom dice for the night phase are fun and the push your luck element adds some tension but there really is no way to come back if you push too hard and fail, so just don't be hype for TEQ and you'll be fine

getting mixed signals here, but seems like I missed an entertaining time.
In any case, the less attention whores, the better.

this makes my brain feel good

God, I wish I had the spare time and energy she spent on game analysis.
The best I can muster this week is sleeving 2R1B cards in cheap faux leather ID card holders in a vain placebo attempt to keep the cards from suffering pocket damage / scratching.

>I didn't realize there were people out there who still haven't realized that was just Steev larping...
TI3 Chick was in the old /bgg/ discord. Definitely not a Steev, but you were being facetious and already knew that.

>the old /bgg/ discord
I'd almost forgotten about that abortion.
Even the general Veeky Forums one barely gets weekly activity on its boardgame channel.

>Century Spice Road
>Photosynthesis

Nope.avi. Just more overhyped fotm rubbish that wouldn't get a second look 3 months from now.

If you haven't already, go look at
Gaia project
Clans of Caledonia

Other ones that might be good but haven't seen enough information yet include;
Agra
John Company
Transatlantic
Noria
Pulsar 2849

>John Company
It's a Sierra Madre game, you know it's good.

>Gaia project
I can't understand how they can fucking nail the art direction on their first game and then fuck it up so badly on the second.

Never played any of these, but Concordia seems suspect to me. Seems like the game mechanics require 4 people, but anything more than 2 results in chaotic and random gameplay.