The EVIL empire!

The EVIL empire!
>has never been shown to do anything remotely malicious, always care about their citizens and are expert administrators that provide even for the people living in a shack in the middle of a swamp
>none of their territories are a result of conquest, but the joining of many lesser kingdoms under a single banner to combat a now-defunct bigger enemy
>every official from the clerks all the way up to the generals are shown to be incorruptible and dedicated to their jobs until the bitter end
>first introduction is them chasing down a thief that stole a cart's worth of produce from the local market

The GOOD rebellion!
>routinely stage attacks in populated areas, always make sure to arrest everyone sympathetic to the empire and organize lavish feast despite there being regular food shortages
>every single plot of land they conquer shows extreme opposition until the important people were booted or put in a cage
>there are so many empire double agents in the ranks that the 5th column might as well be the 3rd-to-5th column, all changing allegiance because of bribes
>their first introduction is killing the guards chasing the thief and recruiting him because stealing from anyone supporting the empire is helping the cause

>The GOOD party is expected to help the rebellion bring down the empire

Have you ever played a game where the good and bad guys should have switched places?
alt. post poorly thought worldbuilding

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anabaptism#Persecutions_and_migrations
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>The bad guys want to bring back the old gods to dethrone the new one
>The new god is a infinitely more boring version of YHWH with zero interesting fluff. No crusades either.
>Old gods are all unique and interesting, each with his own personality and history
DM still doesn't understand why we had zero enthusiams about that plot.

That sounds like an exact copy of Skyrim my dude

I'm really sick of these thinly veiled "Hitler did nothing wrong" threads. Drumpf is on his way out, and /pol/ needs to leave with him.

>Thread has nothing to do with /pol/
>False flagging /pol/shit comes and tries to shit it up
Every time.

>Have you ever played a game where the good and bad guys should have switched places?
The "bad guys" were an order that was "unfairly" oppressing and exterminating a race of demi-vampire spawn who needed to suck out a child's soul before they themselves hit puberty or else they would rapidly age until they died

At every turn my character kept going "you know it sucks that these kids are doomed to die but unless we find a solution that allows these children to survive past thirteen without literally, personally murdering another child, maybe its best we let this race die off." Every time I brought up the notion that letting the race whose every child needs to sustain its life through murdering another preadolescence child continue existing was maybe a bad thing I got treated like a monster who just hated children.

That campaign ended with us murdering the leader of the inquisition, feeding his nephew's soul to our "adorable" sociopath little girl mascot character on the eve of her twelfth birthday, and then heroically instituting a eugenics program where the descendants of the inquisitors were all locked up in a big tower and bred like cattle to sustain the descendants of the generation of murder-children we had saved, who would all grow up to produce children who would also require a preadolescent soul to sustain their life.

I still feel dirty about that game, sometimes. Nobody else in that group understands why.

Don't give him any (you)s, user.

If thats the case then the evil wouldnt be called evil and vice versa.

Now,I havent done that for reasons above but I have had my good actions empire make no delusions about their hard choices and have admitted to being wrong.

The evil and neutral empires both screech about how theirs are the ways of the greater good.

The only thing wrong with this is that the players are expected to choose a specific side.

Jesus fucking Christ

For some reason I doubt it happened, but if it did, I'm sorry for you, user.

>feeding his nephew's soul to our "adorable" sociopath little girl mascot character on the eve of her twelfth birthday

This is not okay. What alignment was your party supposed to be?

For what it's worth, the "hook" of the campaign had been that we were all parents or relatives of the first generation of these murder children who had to find a way to save them. As much as I understand the bonds of family and understood the desire to save our kids, I feel like the steps taken went a touch too far to say the least.

It was a FATE game, so ostensibly unaligned.

>ostensibly unaligned

Still, did no one in the party see the issue with letting a race of soul vampires gradually build up their numbers, have more children and then needing more souls to continue the cycle?

How rapid was the aging? Because honestly if they suddenly start aging 10 years for every 1 once they hit 13, that's still probably gonna let them hit 20.

For a fantasy race, that's not really that bad. You get to live a pretty normal childhood, then your only goal is to have sex a lot to ensure another generation before you die off. If you have any cool vampire powers, you could probably even squeeze in a couple years of adventuring.

Unless your group was also going to devote themselves to giving every goblin a chance at becoming a lich because they also only live like 30 years, it feels like killing people to artificially expand the lifespan of these vampires is very wrong. Some people die before they even get to 13. At least these kids know about it and can make the most of it.

Not as bad as some of the others in this thread, but I will never, ever stop being a little upset at our group's consistent refusal to excise a pretty much openly evil wizard from our rebellion before it bit us in the ass.

Every time we would turn to this guy for help in overthrowing the baroness who had sold her city state out to become a vassal of the drow, this guy would start going on about how once the city was liberated he would personally exterminate every member of the noble families to the last man, woman, and child and use their parts to make flesh golems. That's almost all he ever talked about.

I kept going hey, maybe we should stop giving this guy influence and connections; and everyone else was like nah, he's useful, we just need to keep him on a short leash is all!

Fast forward, six months later: OH NO, THE WIZARD IS USING HIS ARMY OF FLESH GOLEMS TO DO BAD THINGS, HOW COULD HAVE WE PREDICTED THIS? WHAT COULD WE HAVE DONE TO STOP THIS?

I dunno guys, maybe letting the guy who wears a necklace of human fingers take all the corpses from our rebellion into his workshop to create an automated police force he had exclusive control over really WAS a bad idea, after all.

Wat?

My party is being forced to choose between the LE Theocratic Government, the CE Monarchist Rebellion, and the NE Military Conspiracy

Basically they realized all sides of this conflict are evil.

that actually sounds like what I had planned for my game, if I ever got a group together.

Here's a tip:
The Bad Guys aren't bad if they aren't doing bad things and the Good Guys aren't good if they are not doing good things. I can retell you the intro above to make everyone look better

>impoverished child who stole a single head of lettuce gets chased by guards who want to cut its hands off for thieving
>rebels attack to save the child and get the hell out of dodge with him before reinforcements arrive

You should apply that to your worldbuilding too.

The only empire in my setting is one that is ruled by a CN bastard who murdered his way to the top. Everyone knows this, everyone accepts it because he is the least assholish of his now-dead brothers, and his idea of guaranteed employment (mostly mine work) means everyone can put food on the table.

Meanwhile my players just head "empire" and tried to overthrow him, ending in them getting chased out of town and having wanted posters put up all over the region.

Well, I guess its time to talk to a yes man

OPs point was that it was bad world building. You're basically just agreeing with him.

You told your GM to fuck off right, and joined the empire... Right?

The military conspiracy would probably be the most stable at least.

I would try to takeover the robot while I work as agent for all of them.

>playing borderline freeform homebrewed superhero game with my closest friends in highschool
>dude we never let gm begs us to let him run it
>we give in and decide it would be cool to run a team of heroes with powers that scale based on some arbitrary condition (bigger eye lasers in the sun, weaker in the shade, etc)
>make a definitely not Gamera super stronk gentle giant who gets stronker the more kids root for him
>gm decides this is a great team to put in an edgy not-gotham setting
>first adventure sees us following a crooked cop down the rabbit hole into an underground sex trafficking ring
>find out they've been kidnapping children
>police chief is in on it, but the gm is doing everything in his power to make the chief come off like a nice guy, to get us to just accept the child prostitution as "the reality of the city"
>gm gets super bitchy when we say no and beat the shit out of everyone we can find there, save the kids, and do our best to weed out the corruption in the police force

>The "good" empire
>Makes a desert and calls it peace

>put down a rebellion, killing vast numbers of rebels
>help the rebel ringleader break out of prison to continue the struggle
What's my players alignment?

>Thread has nothing to do with /pol/
>False flagging /pol/shit comes and tries to shit it up
>Every time.

The funniest part of this is that the /pol/tards who do this are so deep in their redpill that they never seem to understand why we can all tell they're falseflagging /pol/tards.

It's like virtualautism and his elf corpse wat do threads.

Chaotic Stupid

That is not okay in any form. I don't know how someone would be able to justify doing that and sleeping at night. It sounds like you were in an evil campaign or some shit.

Good on the Empire. I can understand, and even believe, in anti-establishment-ness to an extent, but it sounds like the people are getting a good deal in a relatively shitty world.

>Child Prostitution is just "the way of the city."

Honestly the only evil part is the whole inquisitor-breeding-programme. The rest is life-for-life, which is dumb as shit to perpetuate but isn't actually evil.

Trash-tier GM, user.

Yes, that will happen in any empire, whether evil or not.

Nothing wrong with having players/PCs who are anti-empire. You should encourage it, given it's a hook the players decided to follow all of their own accord. Clearly they're invested in it.

Eternal Murderhobo

In a way, yes.

It was evident fairly early that I wasn't clicking with the group and decided that I need to at least make a memorable exit. I brought it up to the GM and next session, during one of those lavish feasts, imperial forces attacked the village and I saw the opportunity to run the hell away and then towards the enemy forces asking for parley. My character's last scene was taking an oath of service and joining the "bad guys" to help them bring the rebellion down. We even had talked about me returning for a one-time encounter later down the road, my new unit and I vs my old road buddies.

It never came to be due to a certain wizard casting fireball while they were (as I understand) in a cloud of swamp gas.

The Eternal Murderhobo has no alignment.

Ouch the edge!

>playing a risus Star Trek! game
>chief engineer
>captain welcomes a race of cat people in
>character is paranoid of all xenos
>stay locked up in engineering
>random stuff starts breaking across ship
>have to go fix it
>this stuff only happens with the cat people aboard
>paranoia rising
>scan each break for sabotage
>computer starts going rogue
>fixing everything
>set up cameras everywhere
>have files of sabotage evidence
>crew still doesn’t believe
>finally catch cat person plant bombs and viruses with cameras
>kick them off for trying to steal ship

Happy ending I guess, but the party treated me as a madman for 3 sessions.

So the rebellion collapsed due to its own stupidity?

They probably thought the answer wouldn't be that obvious.

This seem like a Worldbuilding thread.
Give tips how build a setting
>Medieval fantasy europe gone bad
I basically want to build a the night land but in medieval fantasy europe, there are a few cities where you can be safe, but outside of said cities the whole world is dangerous as fuck.
GAMBARO!

Just my former party from what I understand. I didn't get any context on why they were going through the swamp, but the thought of them preparing a surprise attack and then exploding themselves on accident sounds like something they would do. They were not exactly the brightest bulbs in the shelf.

I’m typically wrong, and they are sexy cat people.

The captain is a Kirk kinda dude so he is a bit trusting.

I’m from a station that was constantly raided, so I’m pretty paranoid.

Worldbuilding belongs in the trash. Shoo! Out of my That GM thread!

Seems like youre that gm

I bet this DMs dad was an anarchist, or the opposite, a very strong republican so his son rebels by being an anarchist.

My point is, some people think any sort of strong governament is bad without even looking objectively if they do more harm than good.

Well given this was a game they were probably the rebellion's best hope for whatever reason.
Where do you live by the by?

He could have been more creative. Maybe the guy running it also happens to be a kingpin who unified the underworld and is why there isn't any gang wars anymore... And that getting rid of him would cause a massive criminal civil war that would set the entire city on fire and kill hundreds if not thousands.

Simple. Monsters litterally randomly spawn, but the higher the concentration of human souls in the area, the harder it is for them to pop into existence. So cities are still around but small hamlets and such got over run.

Haha, yeah, people with political ideologies I disagree with are so silly. If only they just looked objectively, they'd see I'm right.

>to get us to just accept the child prostitution as "the reality of the city"

>the first encounter with the Empire is when they have you rounded up with a bunch of other schlubs and try to have you executed because it's too much effort to sort out whatever clerical cock-up got you and Lokir caught
>they suck the Thalmor cock because it's too much effort to keep fighting even though Hammerfell told them to fuck off and the last war broke them far more than they want to admit
>not evil or at the very least incompetent
kek

They get to claim to be good guys by sole dint of the Stormcloaks being the other option.

>empire or stromcloaks

>not dragons

Dragons are the true good guys.

He didn't even insult anarchism here.
Stop trying to stir shit in an empty pot.

>implying based Stormcloaks aren't the good guys
Do you even praise Talos?

I'm sad you couldn't side with the Thalmor.

>some people think any sort of strong governament is bad without even looking objectively if they do more harm than good
He's pretty clearly saying that people who think any sort of government is bad haven't taken the time to "look objectively" at if they do more harm than good. Which is absurd, because the reality is that they agree with an ideology which asserts, with many well-reasoned and legitimate arguments (like any ideology), that government is inherently bad. That's my point -- that nobody goes around disagreeing with you just because they're too silly to give things a proper thought.

>The military conspiracy would probably be the most stable at least.
Theocracies are insanely stable once they are up and running.

I don't praise a Thalmor proxy rebellion trying to destabilise the non-Thalmors.

If Stormcloaks really cared about Talos, why did they spend so much time in bed with the Thalmor, eh?

lel btfo

>single fist guy
>not sole blow bro

>sole blow bro
>not individual impact individual

Except they are religious, and that means prone to bouts of PURITY PURGES and other madness.

Not Solitary Slap Chap

>t. Xander Jonsson the Humble water purification colander salesman

>not solo bolo homo

Yes discreetly.

whilst murdering Thalmor at every possible occasion.

But the thalmor suck and have no power over skyrim.

I would have sided with the empire but screw the thalmor.

And Talos lets me speak more.

Like a fucking coward, you mean?

>actually believing the "Stormcloaks are Thalmor puppets" meme

>prone to bouts of PURITY PURGES and other madness.
Only in the minds of crazy people. There were several purely theocratic governments in Europe's history, including like five different ones in the Holy Roman Empire, who went along just fine without any sort of purges.

They also didn't expand very much, but honestly that just points out how stable they were. They didn't collapse until Christianity in general went batshit insane with the Protestant Reformations.

They didn't even do Inquisition bullshit, that was primarily in fucking Spain.

>tfw Stormcucks got repeatedly destroyed on /v/ so badly that they have to shit up other boards now

>Reminder that the Stormcloaks are Thalmor Puppets SO LONG AS THE WAR CONTINUES AND DOESN'T RESOLVE
The Thalmor want the war to go on as long as possible, either side actually winning is a negative result in their eyes.

>charge Thalmor patrol
>die gloriously next to five of their corpses

>ambush lone agents like a coward
>kill dozens of elves, survive to kill more elves

Look at the bigger picture, bro.

>Like a fucking coward, you mean?

Like a winner.

Negative compared to continuing conflict, sure, but a Stormcloak victory does nothing to harm them in itself. An independent Skyrim results in a distant, isolationist enemy to their regime which lacks the power projection capability necessary to make an impact on Thalmor activities outside their borders, while weakening the Empire due to reduced taxes, trade, and manpower available to them in addition to creating a belligerent state on the Empire's northern border, forcing them to split their resting forces between two potential fronts. The only outcome of concern to the Thalmor is an Imperial victory, because that would let the Empire send troops south.

In the end, the active warfare between the Empire and Stormcloaks is just icing on the destabilizing cake.

Why do people like the thalmor again?

Cool robes.

Because those that don't like them too loudly tend not to hold opinions much longer.

Yea, but if the Empire is broken up, and the Thalmor start taking bites out of it... Eventually the Thalmor will have such a huge material advantage that defeat will be inevitable for Skyrim.

Yeah, shit like that is why we didn't let the edgy faggot gm usually. We stopped hanging out with the guy altogether when he started being an art snob who couldn't draw for shit then got drunk one night and admitted that he "only hung out with us because we were willing to drive him where he wanted" because we were nice people.

Last I heard he was still in community college at 25 for "art" and found a way to get Disneyland to actually fire him.

>dying against elven faggots
No wonder you're an Imperialcuck

Again, the Thalmor were largely broken by the war. They're a paper tiger, more bark than bite. As I stated before, Hammerfell was strong enough to kick them out so there's no reason to assume Skyrim couldn't do the same.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anabaptism#Persecutions_and_migrations

people really fucking like elves.

>They didn't even do Inquisition bullshit, that was primarily in fucking Spain.
The Spanish Inquisition was, for its time and place, a very progressive institution. For instance, it gave the accused months to prepare a legal defense. It introduced standards of evidence in witch trials beyond "some villagers said that woman is a witch." Consequently, executions for witchcraft plummeted. Also, they only operated in Spain and never in the New World, so their popular portrayal of forcibly converting natives is bullshit. English bullshit, as it turns out - the modern concept of the Spanish Inquisition as a ruthless band of torturers was English propaganda.

Exactly my point. An independent Skyrim is living on borrowed time.

They're no more broken than the Empire was, and with a stronger ability to recover. All postwar conflicts the Thalmor are involved in are expansive; claiming and holding land in Valenwood and Elsweyr. The Empire, meanwhile, is mired in defensive conflicts and struggling to retain control of their own lands. The fact that Hammerfell is spoken of an an entity unto itself is proof that the Empire is declining. It's also foolish to compare Hammerfell's results in resisting the Thalmor with those of the Empire, since it's infinitely easier (in the short term) for a small region to focus on defending itself against attacks of opportunity than it is for an empire to do so.

Hammerfell is already a victory for the Thalmor: the races of man are further divided and mistrustful of their fellows.

He literally said in his post "until the protestant reformation. "

>so their popular portrayal of forcibly converting natives is bullshit

What? I've never heard of this before.

Oh don't get me wrong, Spanish missionaries did all sorts of crazy shit to convert natives. I'm talking, specifically, about the Spanish Inquisition.

No, I've literally never heard of this portrayal of the Inquisition.

Are you describing Eragon?

Oh. Well, I mean, I'm sorry??

I'm aware, I was just trying to make a point that "purity purges" weren't a thing in theocracies.