/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

>Xanathar's Guide Table of Contents
web.archive.org/web/20171016180500/https://www.dndbeyond.com/members/BadEye/articles

>Forge Cleric - Xanathar's Guide
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/DnDXL2017_Forge.pdf

>Unearthed Arcana: Fiendish Options
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA_FiendishOptions.pdf

>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/...
Where is /5eg/ headed?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/uYZJqSDZWxU
youtu.be/fU5V4RX82Ao
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

To Hell, I hope.

Which one?

all of them

Is the lady in OP someone particular, or just random larper/cosplayer?

Google tells me it's a character from TV series called "Ren".

Keeping up the discussion for the scrolls a lich should have.
A hundred scrolls for under level 3, all in several bags of holding, fifty of each level under six, and 30, 20 and 10 for levels 7-8-9 ?
Give or take 10 of each for every century the lich has lived under 300.

That really does sound like a lot doesn't it ?

I think a Lich wouldn't bother with low-level scrolls, he'd just make wands.

Any one have Scarred Lands Player's Guide (OGL 5e)?

If I'm on a Phantom Steed (as in the spell) in combat, do I use it's speed as my own? Or is it an independent creature and therefore able to take it's own Dash action?

>pitting 3 level 4 PCs against 5 shadows
>its a medium encounter
>mfw

Best monster confirmed

It's a creature, see Mounted Combat rules.

Good point.
It's just that I suddenly pictured why a lich would have entire libraries inside it's dungeon. It's not just old romance novels and how to magic tome 4. It's an arsenal

But what if it's entirely romance novels?

>pitting 5 level 7 PCs against 2 Umberhulks
>It's a medium encounter
>all dumped Cha, constantly confused, slowly killed

Best monster.

What else would it have in the realm of weaponry/usefulness ? I think that would make the enemy way more interesting and challenging (one of my PC is really good at thinking tactically)

That's what I would do if I was a lich.
Maximum comfiness, days spent just reading in your old castle underground by the (useless) fire.
Damn I want to be a lich now

No john... you are the trip lich

>Where is /5eg/ headed?
To sleep, personally.

So when does XGtE come out anyway?

How do I make a good one-shot? How do I gauge its duration?

I have about five loosely defined "spaces". There's really only 2-3 little things that are most likely a combat encounter. In addition there's like five roleplaying moments, all but one of which they might totally pass by, and some of which they may or may not turn into combats.

9 out of 10 completed Trojan Horse Doomsday Devices to conquer the world.
Several super obvious cursed weapons that have yet to be covered in illusions.
Blackmail material of nobles.
The actual king of the kingdom, imprisoned in magic. (But I heard the king's fine?)
Prototype scrolls to hold 10th level magic.
Interplanar tuning forks.
Dummy phylacteries.
Phylacteries to servant liches.

Thank you kind user, I have read the book

are you retarded

good night!

Entrance/Guardian
Puzzle or social challenge
A red herring
The Climax
The Twist.

You don't really need to use all of them, use four. But always put the red herring in, it's the best one.

Do we have any leaks on what the divine soul looks like?

Your current character has just become the next BBEG. What music plays when they're around? What music plays when they fight?

>There is no such thing as the perfect post
user marry me

>Sorcerer
It looks brown and runny

The Execution of Stephan Razin.
In both cases

>DM introduces beholder as enemy
>Have dream in my spellbook
With what it says about beholder dreams in volo's, how best to I tempt fate?

Ambient music; Nerevar Rising
Battle music; le Skyrim theme

Make it dream of a beholder eater.

Sleep tight user!

Inb4 new hexblade is still retarded and just Eldritch blasts over attacking

Well, fuck, at this point you're asking what kind of a beholder you want.
A beholder eating monster beholder that only wants to eat beholders, but also starves quick?

The mayor of the town we're in has never, never been beaten in an election because his running mates go missing. Also he's very seldom seen. Also his name is Benjamin Holder. Should I be worried?

>What music plays when they're around?
youtu.be/uYZJqSDZWxU
>What music plays when they fight?
youtu.be/fU5V4RX82Ao

If you're asking for advice, the only natural thing to do is run for election yourself.

Against B. Holder? Are you insane?

user(banshee) singing because he is a death knight.

Why would you be worried ?
He's probably seldom seen because he secretly helps young starving children and fights off undead invasions without the citizen knowing what dangerous monsters threaten them !

Sounds like the perfect way to get to the bottom of this mystery.

Sounds like a solid plan to me.

Always possible user, clearly all is well!

>Several super obvious cursed weapons that have yet to be covered in illusions.
This is gold

>Level 5
Maybe I'll just leave town, my charisma score's not high enough to compete with Eye Rays

What these guys said. You know he's coming for your candidate, so you can lay a trap for whoever comes to get them. If it's Benji himself, even better, because you can both get the drop on him AND you get the bonus of running unopposed.

>Benjamin Holder has several assistants, all brothers and sisters
>Ignace Ray, Igor Ray, Ivan Ray, Ingmar Ray, Irma Ray

So you're a tad inexperienced, that's not a deal breaker. How big is your campaign staff? Do you have a resources? Can you get some of the town to your side? So many thing things matter more then just Charisma.

>Trap a floating eye
How, user? Pressure plates are a writeoff for starters. Plus I mean unemployment's at an all time low, maybe he's not the worst mayor in the world?

>Cantrip: Raze Dead
>Breaks down an adjacent medium sized corpse to nothing in one minute, time needed doubles per higher size category.

>Can be cast on an undead creature as an action dealing 1d12 damage.

Has anyone played any video games with something like Castlevania's jewel sword? I wanted to adapt something along those lines, but wanted help in making it not completely game breaking.

You're not designing this for a trickery cleric, right?

>door is mimic, with lock mimic attached
>four wall monsters
>floor mimic, ceiling mimic
>the room itself is actually a giant mimic
>the entire building is also a giant mimic
>Treasure chest is totally normal though, but it's empty.

>le sorcerer is bad may-may

Good luck, I'm behind my Radiant-Fire slinging Aasimar, shooting forth quickened 2d10+Cha(5)+lvl(9) for 10 rounds, dealing an average 50 damage per round at 120 ft range. Wait what's that? I just twinned an arcane buff for the martials.

A floating eye ?
But the mayor is human, what are you talking about ?
I know some think he is of elven ancestry but that's a bit far-fetched

Kek'd
There's three of us - an unrevised Ranger (not beastmaster thankfully), a Dragonborn Rogue, and my menebuild divination Wizard. We just rescued a large amount of emaciated slaves from a drweurgar (?) mine so the town should be fairly well disposed to us? Aside from that nothing useful I can think of, we just got here after all. Maybewe should wait a few more levels?

>the town should be fairly well disposed to us
You should get those guys to vote for you.

Figure it'd be a druid/cleric/wizard spell. Should probably leave behind soil or something if a druid casts it. In any case, zero evidence of murder can be handy.

So the intention is not to fuck someone over who asks you
>Hey can you cast Raise Dead?

Now I just need to aquire enough mimics to bring him down and bribe them with... corpses? Or something?

To be fair that would be the ultimate twist
>B. Holder finally reveals himself in a cloud of smoke, fire streaming from the open doorway
>He's a Tortle

>You are a mimic

Ok /5eg/, I really need some help here. Abby, if you're here, do not read this.

Imagine you're a powerful adult black dragon sorcerer with a twin brother. The two of you pretend to be a single dragon. Several months ago, an adventuring party came along and you let them go with the condition they had to bring back a magic item for you Recently you learned that they already have the item and that one of your lizardfolk subjects has one of a pair of sending stones, and the party has the other. So you contacted them and demanded for the item within a month. The three times you used the sending stone, the responses were always pretty much "Fuck off, you're not having it"

So you began to prepare an ambush. You already have your forces, you only needed a location. Then all of a sudden, 3 days before the deadline you gave them, the party contacts you. The same lowly human who answered you before now says he has no choice and will surrender the item 4 days from now in a location far away from your lair and your swamp. Also he doesn't seem entirely honest.

What would you do?

How fucked is my party of newbies?

Orc Barbarian, probably going to take berzerker
Rogue
Monk
Sorc
Wiz (going down evocation route)

The spell list and ability list should have its very own book. Hell, Wizards should have their own book of spells. A real fucking book or something. There should be more spells and stuff.

The main problem isn't necessarily the democratic system in place, it's more the mysteriously predictable disappearance of any running mates. That said this would never happen in a good old-ashioned Communist society, right?

It is meant to cause moments of confusion and panic, not full on miscasting.

>bragging about damage when you are using your abilities wrong
A M A Z I N G

Perfect you have an install base. Now this isn't an election that can be won overnight, hell maybe even wait until the next vote and run a slow burn campaign against him. Work with aiding the local law enforcement, what can you do to secure them. How about the business men in your area they may have troubles that you can resolve and then you have the local Chamber of Commerce in your pocket. Your competition never shows, use that to your advantage and pull of a Grass Roots campaign to become mayor.

Your best defense against 'disappearing' is to never be outside of the spot light.

>Communist society
Is an adventurer not entitled to the loot of his dungeon?

On the other hand if they fuck that up entirely they probably deserved it.

Alright /5eg/, got any confessions
What bad 5e related stuff have you done
I'll start
I play adventurers league

Is the twin a relevant ally?

If the agreed upon date was within the deadline, it's your duty as a dragon to honor the mortals, you wouldn't want to be making bad example of your promises as a leader.
However, it's out of the deadline, so anything goes.
The mortals did go out of the way of picking the location though, so that's convenient.
Arrive at the location, and fuck them up, they missed the deadline, who cares if it's a trap. Bring some help, someone should see you fuck them up because they missed the deadline.

I worked with my DM to port a 3.5 race over just so I wasn't the fourth fucking elf in our party.

I played a character with GWM

Sounds pretty alright actually.

Hey anyone know if the DMsGuild Adept stuff is good? Encounters in the Jungle of Chult and Encounters at Port Nyanzaru

oh sick.

I thought we only really had one guy tanking hits, no healer, and lots of dps all looking to make use out of the same barbarian's meatshieldiness

>No says the man in Moscow, it belongs to the person who can spam Fireball the hardest
Solid advice actually, saved for future use. That said wouldn't being in the limelight be counterproductive? I don't want to get eye-rayed prematurely, the slow burn political subversion sounds more up my alley than setting up a flashing neon sign with RUNNING MATE on it above my head

Color me curious, what did you port over?

I played as a stone Sorcerer. After rolling for stats and applying racial bonuses I had 18/14/18/8/6/18. I also asked dm if I could use the spellpoints+sorcery points houserule, and with that I kept quickening booming blade so I had extra attack at level 1.
I still feel dirty about it to this day, luckily my dm let me change to paladin after I told him stone sorcery is confirmed to not be in XGE

I am porting over the SD&D Planescape setting but giving my party no magic items and extended rest rule (Short=8hours, Long=week) They are new-ish and are last DM was soft on everything and bent over backwards fudging dice, HP, and Save so one was ever at risk.

Healing doesn't matter too much, just means short rests will be good.

Besides Monks and Rogues are fragile, but between the two of them they can take a bit of melee damage. Especially if the Monk goes Open Hand (Basically gives +3HP per level) or Long Death (mega tank).

That's accurate. With good DPR and not being too careless you won't miss a healer too much. You may want to focus on getting potions and healing kits, though.

>level 1
I meant level 3

I'm not sure how many Hail Mary's that's good for but I'm guessing it's somewhere in the millions

Celadrin.
Always found it a bit odd that Aasimar got into 5e without any mention of the non-human versions.

I am posting on /5eg/ and posting helpful advice for all the (you)s and would love to take credit for some of them but we're anonymous.

I understand your reasoning but whybgo so extreme, thats how you make the entire group quit, not make the game more challenging

You're doing Pelor's work user, keep up that good shit

I am the guy from the last thread with the player who wants to be a half dragon. Told him it was to OP especially for someone new to ttrpgs. He says that he has been playing for years and knows to make it a last resort since he says that his character doesn't want to tell the party that he is half chromatic dragon out of a fear of retaliation. He promises that his role-playing skills is excellent and that he will help me out on account of me being new. What should I do since he seems dead set on this?

Naw, the attention is key. If you are subtle then people will look away. If people look away you can taken. Now if all eyes are on you at all times, then suddenly making you 'disappear' is much more difficult.

You could always try tripfagging :^)

How debilitating is it to play a drow in ToA?

An user from a bit ago brought up the idea of a half-dryad and got me thinking what's the best way to do that. He was working off of a half-elf which is probably a good baseline.

>Celadrin
Hah, literally another word for menthol.

Looking up the race it doesn't seem terribly interesting. Their unique feature is what, their voice?

Wont be a big deal at all. There isnt really tanking in 5e anyways, the enemies can and will just go around or not attack the tank. The only problem I can see is resources through the day. If they get into multiple hard fights before a long rest it might get a little shitty.

>Is the twin a relevant ally?
Yes. But preferably you would rather not be seen together at the same time unless your life is on the line. Also that's more or less what I was thinking, go through with the ambush anyway at the location they picked.

But there's a twist: the party actually convinced another party to show up in their place, while they teleport over to the dragon's lair and attempt to kill whichever twin stays.

I don't know why someone who's experienced in ttrpgs thinks it's okay to just have the ability to turn into a dragon for free. He's probably full of shit and if you aren't comfortable with him doing that, remember that this is him asking you for a free homebrew feature. You have every right to tell him no.