Charge counters edition!

>To make cards, download MSE for free from here:
magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/
>OR
>Mobile users might have an easier time signing up here:
mtg.design/

>Hi-Res MSE Templates
pastebin.com/Mph6u6WY

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Color Pie mechanics
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/mechanical-color-pie-2017-2017-06-05

>Read this before you post cards for the first time, or as a refresher for returning cardmakers
docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Design articles by Wizards
pastebin.com/Ly8pw7BR

>Primer: NWO and Redflagging
mtgsalvation.com/forums/community-forums/creativity/custom-card-creation/578926-primer-nwo-redflagging

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Q: What is precedence?
A: pastebin.com/pGxMLwc7

>Art sources
artstation.com/
drawcrowd.com/
fantasygallery.net/
grognard.booru.org/
fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
old.photojoiner.net/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

OT:

Yeah, it would improve the card a lot and justify the cost. I would limit it to one sac a turn though, in that case. Also potentially nontoken too since when do creature tokens have enough juice to fuel other magicians, right? Sorry, we were talking about Pirateanon and so I had pirates on the brain. Also Peej tits always welcome.

>I would limit it to one sac a turn though
Yeah, I'll keep the upkeep trigger.

>nontoken
Good idea.

>Peej
I really like that art, but unfortunately it isn't very good in the card frame, I feel. Which is the unfortunate truth for a lot of art.

Weird combination of abilities. But I'm not sure if the drawback really makes up for the upside, since even without her, you can manipulate it to open up opponents for other creatures to attack.

> Ton uses throwing knives, which is supposed to be where the ping comes from
For me at least, knives are better represented by 1 damage pings. So the effect could be something like "Ton deals 1 damage to up to X creatures or players, where X is the number of warriors you control.", or maybe even "For each Warrior you control, Ton deals 1 damage to target creature or player."

But splitting the damage helps the "knife throwing" flavor.

What do i do?

Use different art.

rekt

Good catch, heres a guy

Toughness: 5-6. Power: 2-4. Some sort of land interaction.

Obv. a creature. W and/or G.

Cost and effects?

> Creatures with Flying God can block creatures as though they had any keywords
> any keywords
> shadow

I like this. Still, you might make it 1U or find a way to limit that ability.

Land interaction. Jesus, do I have to hold your hand through this entire thing?

Is the price right?

How is this black? Why does it have first strike? I guess it caring about your opponent having an empty hand is sort of black, but on the whole putting +1/+1 counters on your stuff in this manner doesn't feel very black to me.

I'm with the other guy, 1U.

Seems like a good idea, but having this design for Ton and Dokuga's current design would feel odd. Looks like I'll have to change Dokuga a bit. Oh yeah, do you think this ability for Ton should be activated, or triggered?

At 1U it's just a worst Phantasmal image

I'm hoping to learn something by your answer to this question - but what makes this card black? Isn't it enough that the card cost black mana? I see First Strike there in the OP under Black tertiary abilities. Is something about adding counters explicitly anti-black? If that's so, maybe I can just edit that part to something else.

Card seems cool. Though it probably needs the clause that says the land is still, you know, a land. I'd make it
>When ~ enters the battlefield, untap target land you control. Until end of turn, that land becomes a 3/3 green Elemental creature with haste that's still a land.
Also, a small thing, but it's not standard to grant colors for lands either, but whether or not you want to cut it is up to you.

At 0/1, it's fragile, but it won't die immediately the second it becomes the target of a tap effect. And you can still enchant and equip it no problem.

Not him, but a creature that repeatably puts counters onto other creatures, without regards to creature type, is far more W or G than B. There's nothing inherently non-B about +1/+1 counters, it's just that using them like this is very out of character for B.

>Dross Crocodile
High power, low toughness has been a B thing for quite some time. Though I do recall Wizards stated back in RTR, IIRC, that they wanted to do it less in B, since R also does it.

More Mario stuff. God I really do need to make a set symbol.

Anyway, to the guy talking about how Bowser should get a Threaten effect: While I like the idea of using a mechanic to show Bowser taking people hostage, I just feel like there's a bit of a disconnect between capturing Princess Peach, and making her fight Mario. So instead, I decided to use the Banish ability, and on the Koopa Clown Car rather than on Bowser directly, since the Car was used to hold Peach during Super Mario World.

Just did a quick search for creature cards with power 4 or greater and toughness 2 or less. Mono-B comes in at 44, and mono-R comes in at 70. But even then, the numbers for recent sets are both rather low. You have to go all the way back to Fate Reforged to find R getting more than two of these cards in a single set.

>but what makes this card black?
Zombie typing. I realize in recent sets creature type is less tied to color (and I agree) but Zombies are one of the trademark creatures in black. It has no mechanics so it can't be tied to any one color that way. High power low toughness, as the other user points out, are R and B territory respectively.
>Isn't it enough that the card cost black mana?
No.
>I see First Strike there in the OP under Black tertiary abilities.
Tertiary things are supposed to show up sparingly, and only to make cards work. Flash, for example, is tertiary outside Green and Blue. In order for it to show up on a white card, for example, it needs to be integral to the card's function. So for white, a creature that does a combat trick having flash would be fine. Yours just has first strike for value. It doesn't need it for another reason. And first strike 'just existing' makes it red or white, because primary and secondary colors are the ones that get to do that.
>Is something about adding counters explicitly anti-black? If that's so, maybe I can just edit that part to something else.
This is the least black part, yes. The caring about empty hands things is black, but adding counters on combat damage is green and white. All colors get +1/+1 counters, but how they accrue them, and how they are meant to be played with, varies from color to color. Black can have them if it sacrifices something. Usually life or creatures. Or if it kills something. It can also get rid of them off other cards, and possibly steal them, though how you do that would have to be very very specific.

so did you learn what you hoped to learn from my answer?

Is the exile meant to be princess-napping?

>Is the exile meant to be princess-napping?
Yes.

To go into detail, I posted a version of Bowser, an user suggested he have a Treason ability to represent princess-napping. I think it's a good suggestion, but not one I want on Bowser, and, as I stated in the post you linked, I feel like there's a big disconnect between the flavor of kidnapping someone, and the mechanics of taking control of that person. So I decided to use the Banish ability instead.

Yes you and the other posters who replied did help improve my game knowledge and I am grateful for it. I still wonder if things aren't a little too stringent as far as custom card creation around here when exceptions to the color wheel can be found to exist even in modern.

hates when the wording is too big =/

This is black, see Soulflayer.

> This is black, see Soulflayer.
The fact it appeared once in black doesn't make it strictly black.

White has featured a similar ability on cards such as Concerted Effort and Odric, Lunarch Marshal. Death-Mask Duplicant is a colorless artifact creature that features an ability similar to Soulflayer (exiling cards from a graveyard and stealing abilities from them).

Maybe on a creature, it does looks more black, but on an aura like this one, it feels right on white.

Those cards look at other creatures you control. That's white.
Soulflayer looks at cards in the graveyard. That's black.

I feel so sorry for that guy and all the other people trying to help you, because you are beyond retarded. Color pie, look into it.

>Zombie typing.
I don't agree with this. His card was a rat which are black. Does that make his card feel more like a black card? The only distinction I can think of here is there's less mechanically on the card so the creature type matters more but that seems like a really thin line.

I also disagree that the part of the card that makes it less black is that the counters involve combat. Black is quite often a combat oriented color, and all colors can get combat buffs in the form of counters. The biggest issue is probably that it can buff other things-- black most often only gives counters to itself. But even that is something black also gets sometimes. The card doesn't feel super exclusively black beyodn its creature types, but it is a rare and obviously intended to be a unique and splashy card. I honestly see no problem with it, other than the first strike being not only tertiary but unnecessary on it so far as I can see. It would kind of make sense if it only had the combat trigger, as it'd be a roundabout way of helping it get through unblocked, but it has ninjutsu already to do that.

I mostly just think the design is a little convoluted more than anything. First strike as well as ninjutsu, plus the changing counters thing, and the flavor doesn't really make the parts feel cohesive. It's a spry ninja, okay, why does it give counters and why does it care about your cards in hand?

If that ability is strictly black, how come Death-Mask Duplicant does it? If a colorless card does it, sort of means that its not strictly attached to a single color.

No, because colorless can do anything only it pays way more mana to do so.

One of artifacts/colorless cards in general's biggest identifying factors is the fact that it can do anything for a high enough cmc

>DUR, WHAT AM ARTY-FACTS???
Like I said, beyond retarded. What, you think every artifact creature with flying needs to be white or blue? Equipment that give deathtouch need to be black or green? Take your head out of your ass.

I think I'd either make it just counter the spell with CMC X, or change it to be
>[...] any amount of E. Counter that spell unless its controller pays 1 for each E paid this way.

I wonder why this has trample. I guess they flavorfully wanted to represent a bunch of dudes being hard to block, so they used trample to feel like even if you block it, a few guys still get through and punch you? I actually kind of like that flavor interpretation.

This is great, since it's your graveyard. Only question is why the art isn't a Stand.

Yeah, it's to represent how you're attacking with a crowd of people, not just one guy. Though Wizards will sometimes just use it to represent something so enormous, it takes more than just one creature to block all of it (Inkwell Leviathan). On an interesting note, an older card, Angry Mob, is also mW and has Trample. But anyway, the original Innistrad set is famous for being very top-down, where Wizards designed the flavor for cards first, then designed the mechanics. It gets a bit color pie-warpy at places, but most people give it enough leeway.

What I'm saying is that this effect is so scarce that you can't really pin it down into black using 1 or 2 cards as example. Some effects are not really strict to one or two colors, and have more freedom to be bent among other colors. I believe this is the case for this particular ability.

White has used effects like this to give abilities to other cards, and that is what the aura does, it takes the ability from dead creatures and give to another creature alive (notice, its not a creature stealing the soul of other creatures in a selfish way)

Notice that all colors already featured cards that transfer keywords from the graveyard (pic related). How come Valor is white and gives first strike while being in the graveyard, if only black can give keywords from the graveyard?

>Only question is why the art isn't a Stand.
Sorry, but I didn't understand what you mean

Do your arms ever get tired of digging yourself deeper?

I did go on to say that typing wasn't that big a deal; we got white Vamps in Ixilan, for instance (and that I agreed with it). The only reason I brought it up was Zombies are a black iconic/staple type, and I was doing a complete card breakdown in response to all his questions.
>counters involve combat
But the TYPE of combat and what is being done matter, I think. Black gets to Sengir counters onto itself; I said that (I realize that maybe saying counters on straight combat damage was a bit confusing; the creature has to die as far as black is concerned. My fault there). When red Vamps got it, they had to hit the player, which is what red likes. Havengul Vampire being an exception, along with one or two others. So the actual way the counters are acquired seems to matter, which is also what I said. We agree about first strike, so that's cool.

We also seem to agree on the last part.

I can agree with that.
>POW Block
I guess this makes sense since it makes the MOST sense to use it when you're being attacked. Though, Mario doesn't hurt himself when he uses it, so maybe it should be one-sided?

WotC gets a bit more wiggle room than we do when designing cards because it's their game. And sometimes they bend the pie to make flavorful cards. Your card was a stand-alone that has no set backing it up in terms of flavor or reasoning behind it; it has to stand on its own in terms of mechanics.
>I still wonder if things aren't a little too stringent as far as custom card creation around here when exceptions to the color wheel can be found to exist even in modern.
It's swingy; It's all subjective. Honestly when you put a card out into the wild you should just be ready for it to get torn apart, even if you're confident in it. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose.

But seriously, you're comparing apples to oranges here. A card that grants abilities while it's in the graveyard is entirely different from a card that gains abilities from cards in graveyards. It's like comparing Dearly Departed with Lhurgoyf.

>Stand
Why is it a random ghost elk instead of a dude with a ghost (or several ghosts) looking over his shoulder/swirling around him/etc.?
You do you, but I think you could find more fitting art and make a crazy ghost deer other thing.

Yeah I'll go ahead and change the wording, thanks. It doesn't NEED to be green, so I'll change that too. I dunno why I forgot to keep it as being a land.

This has got to be the slowest I've ever worked on a set. One or two cards a night, if that.. but at least I'm not worried about getting burned out.

Forgot my damn card.

This is pretty cool user. I like it.

>I can agree with that.
Glad I'm not the only one. Any opinion on Koopa Clown Car?

>Though, Mario doesn't hurt himself when he uses it, so maybe it should be one-sided?
Makes sense. But in that case, I'll probably drop the remove from combat bit, since that was added purely to prevent abuse, like attacking, then casting POW Block to tap creatures so they can't block.

Oh, sorry. It's kinda bomby. I considered suggesting that it be cheaper then have an expensive Equip that adds the banish effect but that might be too crazy unless it 'banish cycles' and only ever kidnaps one creature at a time. Wordy though.

Seems pretty cool.

Seems cool, but definitely feels like it should be uncommon or 1B. Or maybe even both.

I did consider having it trigger a Banish whenever the equipped creature attacks, but I doubt I'll implement that for the reason you stated.

I think the last ability should be
>Each other creature you control that's a Knight or a Warrior gets +2/+2 and has haste.

> Lhurgoyf
Isn't Lhurgoyf that green creature with that ability that gets buffed by creature cards on graveyard? Though that sort of thing was strict to black

Oh, I get it. Yeah, sadly I couldn't find any better picture for it, and I did looked for quite a while. If you or anyone else have a more suiting picture for this card, please share!

>Bonecaller
I was looking at the potential to 'split up' a Vile Rebirth; you get the 1/1 for sure but the additional 1/1 is iffy. It gains some utility in that you can cast it if there aren't any creatures in the yard, but it also can't tap your opponents' graveyards either, so it can't be hate. I dunno. I'll collect some more feedback on it and keep this in mind. I can always change it.

>Specter
>nothing to do with discard
Dread Specter best precedence guise. I feel like I've come to expect this.

Sure, I'll play your game.

For those stats, CMC of 4 seems appropriate. Make it cost 2GW, for now.

Land interaction was requested... Well, this flavor brings to mind some kind of a guardian spirit, a protector of lands. Pick one:

>When ~ is dealt damage, untap target land. (Untapping lands is Primary Green)
>Lands that you control get +1/+1 as long as they are also creatures. (board wide effect is white, land creatures are green)

Add a keyword ability and increase CMC by 1. Done.

Mario again. Rabbit thief. Not much else to say.

Its an interesting design, really liked this card. Though I agree that its weird to make a Specter that is not about discarding.

Can we all just pretend Ki counters don't exist

Not even that guy, but why?

This is cute and clever. You should make it trigger on any damage like Jitte, though - it wouldn't be broken on a creature that dies to removal.

An idea I've seen many times before, but your execution is good.

I like that second ability, but isn't Aurelia an angel?

Good fit for the thread theme, and cool design.

Is the wording for the second ability correct? I want to place the counters BEFORE the fighting, so the p/t boost helps in the fight as well.

I'm fairly certain that it works as intended, yes. If it were me, I'd switch the printed order of the two abilities so the card is easier to grok.

>[...] target creature an opponent cntrols explores.

That's not how explore works. Permanents explore, not players.

Besides, if my understanding of your intent is correct (the opponent puts a +1/+1 counter on Goblin Guides whenever they reveal a nonland card) then this card is disgustingly broken.

Mario. They can phase through objects (can't be blocked), but when they're looked at (opponent's turn), they don't move and become completely intangible (can't block, Hexproof).

Should either have
>Enchant creature you control
or
>Enchanted creature has "Creatures you control get +1/+1."
To account for when the controller of the Aura and the creature aren't the same. But going further, Wizards already did something like this with Emblem of the Warmind. Note how that's 1R and uncommon, and a regular enchantment that does the same thing, Fervor, is 2R and rare. Since Glorious Anthem is 1WW and rare, I think it would be fair to cost this at WW and uncommon.

I preferred this when it was UB.

Mario. FStrike too much? Supposed to represent how these things can surprise you by coming out of pipes when you don't expect it.

Really? I honestly felt like the B was just tacked-on, but OK, I can change it back.

Black is the 'can't block' color in terms of drawbacks on your own stuff, along with red. So it made more sense I feel.
>plant
I like the flavor of the first strike. I dunno if it's too much; defender is a big drawback.

This is kinda neat but I feel like the body is too chumpable to be really worth the drawback. I'd give it menace maybe?

Good reanimate target
Aren't spells caster after defenders are already declared?

No you can flash blockers in.

Actually you're right; just looked it up. Have to flash it in after declare attackers step. So needs a minor wording update.

Ah, the things I don't know.

> This is kinda neat but I feel like the body is too chumpable to be really worth the drawback. I'd give it menace maybe?
Menace is indeed a good choice if I would put any keywords on him, but I feel like a 4-mana 6/6 is already big enough. Specially considering that if you don't have any other creature, his drawback doesn't work.

Anyone else has an opinion about this guy ()?

>Black is the 'can't block' color in terms of drawbacks on your own stuff, along with red. So it made more sense I feel.
I looked up cards that had a mutual disadvantage of being unblockable but also not being able to block, and most of them are U. Not that there are many of them, two mU, one hybrid U/B, one B, and technically a conditional one in mU, for power 2 or greater.

>I like the flavor of the first strike. I dunno if it's too much; defender is a big drawback.
Cool, thanks!

Thanks for you guys pointing that out. Well, when exactly it gets FStrike isn't too important. I guess I could make it
>When ~ enters the battlefield during an opponent's turn, [...]

Not him, but Jitte also triggers off any combat damage.

>card
I see what you're going for, but I'm really unsure about this. Wish I could be of more help.

Still trying to get more feedback for this. A Time Spiral-esque card for Hans, from the Lhurgoyf flavortext.

>I looked up cards that had a mutual disadvantage of being unblockable but also not being able to block, and most of them are U. Not that there are many of them, two mU, one hybrid U/B, one B, and technically a conditional one in mU, for power 2 or greater.
What cards did you find? All I know about is Tormented Soul and the fact that B and R have a bunch of 'can't block' restrictions.

Could also do "When ~ enters the battlefield, if it's not your turn" I think.

In order, Marang River Prowler, Insidious Mist (it's the backside of a B card, but that side itself is mU), Inkfathom Infiltrator, Tormented Soul, and Sneaky Homunculus.

Name/creature type/rarity?

Next one too, Type/color?

...Are you a computer? No, seriously. The way you act, I feel like I'm talking to RoboRosewater. Why do you do this thing where you ask people to make cards for you instead of making them yourself? Might as well just post art and see what cards people make out of it.