I've got a recurring person in my group. I can't get rid of her because the GM and her are best friends...

I've got a recurring person in my group. I can't get rid of her because the GM and her are best friends, and I don't really want to, but my RP instincts are telling me this is wrong.

We'll call her A. A only ever wants to play self-inserts, or if it's not a modern-times game, that isekai thing like in all those terrible light novels. This is less of a problem than it sounds, because she doesn't hog the spotlight, works with the group to come up with interesting ways for our characters to interact, and generally does it as well as you can do this.

But it's all she wants to do. She finally agreed to play a new character in the GM's new game, and now she's having a nervous breakdown because it feels too strange and different for her. The game hasn't started and she hasn't done this in public, I only know because the GM was venting about it to me.

I don't know what to do. She's not a bad player but I feel like she can't keep playing selfinsert and isekai the rest of her life, but then this goes and happens? The rest of the group is cool and the GM is the best I've ever had so I don't just want to leave.

What can I do?

Rape her, lad. Its the only way

Dunno, maybe talk to her?

It sounds like she is genuinely trying to amend her behaviour but having issues doing so. Nervous breakdown seems like kind of an extreme reaction, but whatever. Be supportive.

Drown her in non-isekai works until she gets a good baseline, you dummy.
Or just live with it.

have her play a copy character from one of her shit shows instead, this will give her some kind of framework to follow while having the character be divergant from her actions, so she can slowly get used to seperating who she is and what she wants, and what X would want.

Sounds like fear of the dentist drama. It'll probably be alright on the night.

Never really understood people who can't play anything other than 100% themselves. It seems like a kind of autism almost.

Oh she is definitely autistic, but she also cares about not ruining anyone else's fun. She's only doing this because I talked to her about it near the end of the last game.

That doesn't sound like a bad idea.

I had a player like this in my group awhile back. The way we broke him out of it was tormenting/bullying/torturing his character to the point that the character was no longer him. Basically break the character without breaking the player. The character will no longer be himself and they'll come to terms with it.

What's wrong with playing a self-insert?
I mean, yeah, if it's a complete self-insert - like, down to the name and the backstory and shit - then, yeah, it's kinda shitty.
But if you are merely roleplaying yourself as if you were a character that is succesfully integrated in the setting you're playing in, then I fail to see the problem.

Think about the losers and faggots you game with.

Would YOU really want to spend time with them outside of the game?

If you wouldn't, why would someone so much cooler than you, like your character, want to?

Honestly this.

Have her read some fantasy works. The next step in the evolution of a horrible roleplayer from self insert, is copying another character and roleplaying them.

>Think about the losers and faggots you game with.
I feel sorry for you if your friends are that way. That said, you are projecting so hard that Batman is gonna appear any minute now.

>I've got a recurring person in my group.
Isn't that the point of a group? That they all show up every week?

actually I play with incorporeal beings from another plane who can project their minds into our universe but take different shapes everytime so I'm never sure If I'm playing with the same beings since they always look different.

>extreme reaction, but whatever.
I have seen players have breakdowns or panic attacks at the table that were severe enough to cause crying and/or total game stoppage. Once when a melee based punch fighter failed an untrained check to try to tame a hostile, non tenable creature. Once when I asked a face character to speak. Once, or actually twice, when an animal companion took damage
Not died, just took a lot of damage.

Come to think of it, those were all the same player.

All of my characters would be my best friends lmao

This doesn't really seem like an issue. The issue here seems to not be that the player has a problem, but that you have a problem. It's not that the other player is causing any problems, it's that it just 'feels wrong' to you.

Get over it.

It's not really up to your discretion if you're not the GM. If he's cool with her silly self inserts, then you might as well just roll with it. As long as she isn't reinventing dynamite and firearms every time she plays her self insert, you might as well leave her to her own devices.

>What can I do?
What are you actually trying to accomplish?

>hey guys, I've got a great group, I like everything on it
>there's this player who plays something that's not bad but I just don't personally like, so I made it my mission to force her out of it, even though I've no actual reason to do so
>wat do?

Maybe you should mind your own bussiness and stop caring what others play as long as you're having fun.

Let her play what she wants to, user. If you were playing a character out of peer pressure, you wouldn't be having fun and maybe you'd have a nervous breakdown too. Just stop worrying and love the bomb, man.

This.