/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

>Xanathar's Guide Table of Contents
web.archive.org/web/20171016180500/https://www.dndbeyond.com/members/BadEye/articles

>Forge Cleric - Xanathar's Guide
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/DnDXL2017_Forge.pdf

>Unearthed Arcana: Fiendish Options
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA_FiendishOptions.pdf

>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/...
Creature that die too young. They were only 80 year old.

Other urls found in this thread:

astranauta.github.io/classes.html#fighter
youtube.com/watch?v=8oKQSAt4c4c
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

rangers r gay

So, a number of the Druid of the Land circle spells are at a higher level than they would be normally. For instance, Hold Person at 3rd for Arctic, or Call Lightning at 5th for Forest.

I assume that they always get the higher-spell-slot bonus in that case, yes, even if you're casting it at "your" lowest level?

warlocks r gay

fuk u warlocks are my fave

Nigga, you retarded. You know when you get Hold Person, at it's earliest? Level 3.

dragonborn are for lewd

Anyone have any advice for building/roleplaying as an Eldritch Knight?

Tell me about yours, maybe.

Is building characters with D&D beyond broken or something? My DM is requiring us to use it for character creation, but it's only letting me choose "Champion" for my fighters archetype when I want to select "Battle Master".

Tried illusion with EK. It was fun fighting enemy with many me.

Keeping you in check since 2017.

Unless you pay money (or the GM pays money and does its license sharing stuff, however that works) you are restricted to the SRD content.
That is to say:
Every race, but with only one subrace option; and Every class, but with only one subclass option. Champion is the Fighter archetype in the SRD.

What tends to be more useful for a cleric, Sanctuary or Shield of faith?

When you learn the spell you learn that spell, regardless of class level. This isn’t Pathfinder special spell list shit.

I'm sorry that you're incapable of not being a dick-ass, but there are like 15 dicks in your ass, so I suppose it makes sense.

Those are *your* level when you learn the spell, not the *spell* level

Well that's some fucking bullshit. Guess I'm making this character the old fashioned way and he can fucking deal with it.

Shield of faith is good for putting on frontline characters who need the AC boost.
Sanctuary is good for backline characters who only buff or heal allies, rather than attacking enemies.
So in short, it depends heavily on your party composition If in doubt, prepare both.

if u like warlocks, ur a fag

I made an intelligence focused tank-y EK that was a lot of fun trapping enemies near me with spells and sentinel and buffing my AC as needed. Played him as a moon elf that traveled to be main continent to avoid some embarrassing faux pas and stuck around for adventure and the exotic locations away from his island home. He had no respect for money whatsoever.

How much spell does Sorcerer and Warlock share?

Anybody got a pdf of Gem Dragons of Faerûn they can share?

NO U

Between the Hexblade video and the invocation video, I'm so fucking stoked to roll up a warlock with XGtE

>By night, vampire with ghoul minions terrorizes the countryside including the character group’s homestead. The group returns from their latest adventure with news of the undead and to where they flee come the sunrise.

My group is 4-6 players strong (depending on who bitches out) at level 6. Would you throw a dozen ghouls and a vampire at a suboptimized group of 4-6 well armed and intelligent adventurers?

>durr why am thing not make sense
>reading? that am hard!

A vampire is a pretty big threat for a lvl 6 party. As long as he doesn't go full ham with a murderboner for blood and enjoys watching the heroes struggle against his ghouls instead they should be fine.

Except unlike the other anons that responded to the question, you don't have any reading comprehension either. Additionally, with all 15 of those dicks in your ass, I'm pretty sure balls are touching.

So I'm putting together a vampire haunted region and I'm trying to think about how the region functions. I figure that Vampires abduct the human peasants and drain their blood, the ghouls devour the flesh, and then the skeletons are animated as servants and guards. What are some other monsters and undead that I can plug into the equation. Where would Vampiric Mists and Blights fit into the system?

I did plan on having maybe 2 ghouls with him in his “throne room” for action economy purposes but otherwise they’d encounter the ghouls in small groups.

Any advice on lair actions and environment effects? As in, use them or no?

Is it possible to get a breath weapon as a human? Or any other race for that matter?

Is it possible to make breath weapons actually worth having?

I need a list of monsters that feel like they belong in a former enchanted forest area ripped apart for resources and full of pollution. A massive mechanical city like a hive city of 19th century London sits in the middle of the region and is the source of the desolation. I want to populate a d100 encounter table that can be used both encounters in the city and outside the city.

So how fun are Warlocks really?
Are the oodles of mid-level spell slots worth being mostly capped at 5th level? Is there a way to actually be survivable in melee or do you just have to EB spam nonstop? What specifically do you like about them that the other classes don't have?

What is your favorite variety of dragon/5eg/? Mine of course is big mommy Red.

go human fighter (battlemaster)
grab the magic initiate feat to be able to use shillelagh for that sweet d8 club
go dual wielder with 2 clubs
(2 attacks @ 2d8+str)

It is really fun if you know your DM is an Undead Buttrusher....

astranauta.github.io/classes.html#fighter
use it, don't have to buy nothing for 5e

The invocations keep powering you up after level 10. They're pretty off the wall in the higher levels.

malnourished/rabid versions of animals that would normally be there. Hungry and sick animals can be quite vicious (bears, wolves, unicorns, badgers, deer, etc all turn into territorial and salivating beasts) and drive home the fact that the area is not functioning the way it was use to before the city popped up.

Eh, I'm going net and rapier with a trident back up as a dex fighter. I've always wanted to run the net/poking weapon but never really had a chance to (that and I actively try not to powergame unless that's the style of game we're running).

Thanks, I'll give it a look.

Not a classic, but how can you hate something that nests in ancient ruins, loves history, and breathes acid snakes?

Change race from human to dragonborn. Or wish for it. It a racial thing just like the tiefling magic.
A legendary vampire? No. Do the player character know of vampire weakness?
White dragon make the best player predator in the snowy area.

Oozes for sure, undead potentially. Any number of plants, fey, elementals, and beasts, but fluffed to be corrupted or deformed somehow. Make their abilities do acid damage or something instead of normal but otherwise use the MM. It'll reduce the strain of homebrewing but still let you describe your toxic monstrosities in detail.

That is not an official 5e approved dragon variety user. You must choose again.

>racial thing
Bummer. I remember some 3.5 and Pathfinder classes having it as an ability.

I have a hard fucking time imagining that those retarded looking Gold dragons are bigger and more powerful than a Red.

Dragon breath is the name of a spell that will be in XGE.

youtube.com/watch?v=8oKQSAt4c4c

Do you happen to know what classes can take it and what level it is?

It's 2nd level. Confirmed to be available to Wizards. Almost certainly will be available to Sorcerers.

Not the easiest thing to pick up, but it exists.

They really like to strip dragonborn of their unique fluff.

Good.

use 5e Tools to find better archetypes.

dragonborn shouldn't be a race option. Goddam scaly snowflakes.

At least my dragonborn will finally be able to breathe fire.

Kind, merciful paladins are the cutest

Will it be any good? I might pick it up as a Lore Bard instead of Fireball

What does Artificer need to be good?

Is it getting anything new when Xanathar's comes out?

What is the most useful role I can take as the sole caster in a martial-heavy party?

Make alchemist an actual alchemist instead of a weird mech-builder with shitty cantrips.

>A legendary vampire? No. Do the player character know of vampire weakness?

Nope. Alright then, sounds like it can be pretty cut and dry; might find a way to tie it into the plot, maybe not. Thanks.

Wizard as always, you'll have a spell for every situation.
You could also go bard but wizard is the "optimal" pick.

Buffer/Debilitator. Green Mage muthafucka!

>find game on roll20 and apply because I know no one else but two people who play D&D and I'm already DMing for them
>The DM has put 0 info about the game on the roll20 screen and just accepts the first person to join every time
>I'm like the 4th person to join, and get in the discord
>It's completely bare without any resources or anything posted
>I try to ask him questions about the campaign or what we'll be doing
>"I want to tell great stories about tremendous people" is all I get
>Fuck it, I'll try out a statesman Bard character I had in my head
>The DM has no idea how anything works
>Every other player but one is either a munchkin, dead silent, or is completely new (and this is their first time playing D&D!)
>This one other player who isn't shit is knowledgeable about a good amount of systems and has years of experience
>He helps everyone out, like the DM on how roll20 works, or what 5E even is to him and its optional rules
>After about a hour he drops us off in front of a tavern together
>YOU DID THE TAVERN OPENING AND YOU DIDN'T EVEN DO IT RIGHT
>A few NPCs laugh at one of the characters, and we approach the tavern
>Which he changes to an Inn because "Oh wait, this is a family friendly game" even though one of the players made a loli rape joke to the good player
>One of the rangers guarding the door asks for 20gp for entry
>Before any of us can speak and try to solve the situation, the other ranger solves it by saying it's a joke
>The DM then proceeds to namedrop 20 things in about 3 minutes, all the while stumbling over himself, mumbling, and either taking long pauses to pretend to check his non-existant notes, stuff his face with cheetos, or breath through his mouth

I like that one revised version someone did that re-does it all with its bits keyed to Warlock stuff. Like, the wand focused one scales a bit like an EB-focused Warlock, it has a really interesting martial subclass, *and* it doesn't have any weird golem stuff as a core feature (though there is a subclass all about constructs).

>We get infodumped that the reason we're here is because the bartender is sending out letters to literally everyone outside the city to come help, and we're the first people to actually come, and he found us because he has friends who are powerful scryers and can see anything
>The Lord of this city apparently pays no one and everyone is scared of him. No one has any money, but the bartender can pay 500gp (I upped it to 650 gp because Bard) to each of us for sorting out the issue
>Why does the bartender care? Where does he get the money?
>Apparently this city is a center of trade
>A center of trade for what you might ask?
>Fixing your tools
>The Lord has stopped all payments. There is no Treasury Council, nor any other councils, nor has he left the throne room in five months.
>Yet this tavern is lavish
>The townspeople won't stop staring at us apparently
>These townspeople are apparently too scared to do anything, even though they have to be starving if there is no money coming in or out and one man is paying out everyone's salaries (WHICH DID NOT EXIST)
>The Good player asks the DM kindly and tries to get him to explain, but the only real explanation is all of the above and people are too scared because his eyes "glow"
>He rolls two 10s, an average speech, but instead he gets laughed at by the entire tavern and literally 0 peoples care
>The plot hook comes in dresses as a mercenary with a katana or a claymore or whatever the fuck and a damaged right leg and sits down at the only other table near ours
>One of the munchkins goes to speak to him and he explains the Lord used to be kind before five months ago, and the real problem is that there are 4 bandits
>Where you might ask?
>At a gate.
>Which gate?
>No one knows.

cleric is good, you can be up in the action with them and every cleric gets access to some nutty spells like contagion. see if you can get your DM to let you forge cleric so you can martial better than the martials while having spells.

>I stand up on the table and start reciting the lyrics to "Light up the Night" by the Protomen, and I get a 19 after the DM lets me reroll because he doesn't know that checks just have different modifiers (My persuasion and performance modifiers were both 5), but the townspeople ignore me except for one person who asks me to speak on
>I let the floor goes to the townspeople, and instantly I get boo'd at and the one guy tells me that because I did not keep speaking, I have angered them and they don't care
>The mercenary mocks me along with the party and just keeps trying to convince us the ONE singular problem in this entire CITY is the one lord
>WHEN THIS IS A DELUXE TAVERN, AND THE INNKEEPER KNOWS EVERYTHING THERE IS TO KNOW TO SOLVE THE ISSUE, BUT HE SAYS WE MUST DO IT
>A BUNCH OF LEVEL 1 RATCATCHERS
>Oh, and why is everyone so scared?
>One guard dropped his weapon when he was supposed to be at attention and the Lord killed him, and then he killed a little girl
>I walk out of the tavern after he tells us this problem and tell the party to follow and we'll go kill some goblins or something
>The silent player leaves, the good player leaves, and then I leave after telling the DM he's horrible and he's ruined two people's first experience at D&D

Trent, if you're reading this, kill yourself.

Seriously. Restricting setting changing equipment to a class without justifying why it's restricted to them properly is just tacky

Nothing wrong with being a creature bred for war and leadership.
That because you did not choose red or gold.

Dragonborn just need one extra feature with their draconic ancestry like water breath or ice walk.

>Forge cleric no longer gets Shield
Well, so much for a fun domain.

>5etools
>Use Roll20?Get Greasemonkey (Firefox) or Tampermonkey (Chrome). Install the script using this link! This userscript allows you to import much of 5etools' data without paying a dime.
What does this actually change on roll 20? cant find any notes about it.

I doubt it'd be that hard to convince your DM to let you have shield instead of identify or searing smite

Just take a level of wizard. You already get game breaking AC levels just by existing it'd be dumb to give them shield as that would actually make them practically invincible to attacks.

>protomen
Nice taste.

My brain is fried and I need some unconventional character ideas, specifically for a good-aligned character, preferably a martial. Maybe even a superhero type.

Any ideas?

All we can do is wait for the dragonfire adept remake for 5e

Thanks fren. Still doesn't help that I just played the actually worse game of my life. I honestly feel numb after that game.

PLEASE

Wouldn't that just be a warlock with a dragon pact? Seems like a pretty simple concept to do

It used to let you import monsters and spells from 5etools into Roll20. I doubt it's being actively developed anymore.

>I get that hounds reference
Well if that was the worst game it can only go up from here right?

You should have taken those new players under your wing and dmed for them with the other good player.

I'm not a good enough DM to feel like I could do the genre justice for strangers. I'm better than this DM, but I have a huge problem with descriptions (but my shit actually makes fucking sense). My friends don't mind too much and we have a good time. I delete the discord and left the roll20 game and I can't remember their names.
If I was a good enough DM, I would've done it user.
Or this is just the brink of the Great Depression that is the game quality I find from now on.

would you say a +2 weapon is roughly as valuable as 3 pieces of reusable ammo that do +3 piercing damage, and 2d6 poison damage

Did you at least stay in touch with the other good player? For all you know he was actually a DM slumming it up

Bumping for help

>value question
Think of it this way: which would be more valuable to the merchant you're selling it to? If it helps with a regional issue he might not even put it on the market, and hand it straight to the local authorities and get reimbursed instead. Or if the +2 sword has no significance, he'll have to send it to be identified and researched by a mage or a historian, then assess it's value. He might not even by it on the spot if that's the case.

>3 pieces of reusable ammo that do +3 piercing damage, and 2d6 poison damage
Do you mean like a javelin or an arrow?

The region functions by way of whoever has authority over the peasants who are being abducted. That's what you should be focusing on first. The players won't care as much about the monster's pecking order until they actually encounter them, which will give you time to figure that out. Have the monsters infiltrated the authorities? Have they infiltrated the peasant society? Do the authorities care about the problem? What are they doing it about it?

What would you guys think about Psionic becoming a core class?

Psionics are for people who want to play edge wizards. They're pure shit, and add absolutely nothing to the game. If you want to play a magic user in a scifi setting, just reflavor the wizard (or sorc, or warlock, or cleric, or...). Its a bloated fucking mess and disgusting power creep.

>Do you mean like a javelin or an arrow?
either

How good is a 3 level Swashbuckler dip for Warlock or Sorceror?

I think its nice to have magical versatility, but not in the way that wizards do it. Instead, its having access to a wide berth of spells, but only being able to cast lvl5 and lower spells. Its also good for having d8 hit die, light armor and simple weapons because it allows them to stay mildly survivable when out of spell points.

I personally have introduced mandatory nerfs to psionics until WotC comes out with a better version.
>Disipline leveling occurs like this:
1/1/2/2/3/3/3/4/4/4/5/5/5/6/6/6/7/7/7/8 instead of
1/1/2/2/3/3/4/4/5/5/5/6/6/6/7/7/7/8/8/8
>Removed Nomad archetype & Nomadic Mind discipline
>Delayed the 2nd Archetype discipline to lvl6.
>Removed Crown of Disgust (its irrelevant)
I'm making changes as I go but this is what the party has agreed upon for now.

The class as it is now is kind of a fucking dumpster fire, but there's SOME pretty cool stuff in there somewhere

What spells should I pick as a wild magic sorcerer beside the obligatory Mage Armor? And what metamagics? Starting at level three.

Shield, Mirror Image, Blur, Find Familiar, Absorb Elements, Haste.

Warcaster so you can Booming Blade fleeing enemies.

I find it more fun to go EK 7/Abjuration Wizard X, so you can still cantrip+attack every turn, cast fun utility spells and compensate the lack of HP with Whatsisname Ward.

I'd say stick with the theme. Random roll that shit.

Why don't Sorcerer's learn Absorb Elements? It seems like an oversight.

I fucked up last session and accidentally added an extra 0 to one of their monetary rewards. I don't really wanna retcon it, how do I burn all their extra cash?

>no resources or explanations
>I WANNA TELL GREAT STORIES ABOUT TREMENDOUS PEOPLE
>no idea what the rules are
>stumbly, mumbly, rambling nonsense
I think your DM might have been our President, user.

Unconventional builds or unconventional backgrounds