So, if a person can't take the sword out of the stone...

So, if a person can't take the sword out of the stone, but is strong enough to pick the stone up using the sword as a handle and use it as a hammer, does he get to be king?

I'm pretty sure that then the sword snaps in half and now the kingdom's fucked.

No, but a strong wielder of technicality and loophole reasoning would be fit for a Presidency.

Magic swords don't break, stupid.

The test was not about strength, but worthiness of being king.

They do if the rock is also magic, stupider.

What kind of idiot would enchant a rock?

Depends on if he can secure a majority of the vote.

A wizard.
Obviously.

How does sword drawing VS rock wielding factor into your vote?
Given that nobody's drawn the sword, the rock wielder makes a STRONG argument.

Oh please, a wizard is much too busy doing important things to enchant a rock. Probably one of those druids. Never liked them.

GENTLEMEN...

BEHOLD!

I PUT AN ENCHANTED SWORD IN A ROCK!
AND THEN I ENCHANTED THE ROCK TOO!

Are peasants smart enough to know the difference or care?
Are peasants strong enough to fight the guy swinging a literal boulder around as a weapon?

But the rock WAS enchanted. Its why no one could pull out the sword.

The sword in the stone was not magic. It was not Excalibur. Excalibur came later, bestowed by the Lady of the Lake.

Pretty sure the rock is immovable by proxy of being the sheath of the sword and because if the rock was not, the sword would have moved from place to place to be try by stranger from afar.

Then that guy is REAL fucking strong, aint he?

>Pretty sure the rock is immovable by proxy of being the sheath of the sword
This is how I always took it to be

Nah, he just like sword's sloppy second.

No. But he does get to be regent until the king comes along to do that special sword trick he knows.

See, this is why you don't just put the fate of your kingdom in a regular old rock. Magical or enchanted rocks are obviously preferred, but not every kingdom has ready access to those.

If you don't, just put yon sword into a fuckhuge boulder that's 95% concealed underground. That way, when some ignorant chucklefuck tries to pick up the whole thing, his back gives out and/or his heart explodes.

What if someone with a crane comes along? Does the foreman get to be king? Or the operator? What about the rest of the crew? I think there's a flaw in lithic security systems, especially for swords.

Yes, but only the King of Rock,

Wouldn't the crane become king?

No more than the rock would for having the sword. Unless it's an intelligent crane. But how would it fly carrying the fuck-huge rock?

>Put a sword in a rock. It usually takes a crane to get it out.

With its deadly treads, duh.

The sword in the stone was magic too but not the kind that could help you in a fight. It was known as the sword of peace and was used for knightings. IIRC Mordred used it to kill Arthur?

lol'd

Could the Hulk pick up the enchanted sword / rock and swing it around?

This sounds to me like thors hammer. only a man worthy of being king of draw the sword.

But trying to pick it up and failing would make hulk even more mad.
What about Khorne?

>rock us concealed 95% underground
>sword is as long as the boulder
>they have to lift the sword out of 20ft of magical stone, only having the blade itself as grip for the majority of it

>knighting people across the room

Suppose you see a trolley approaching. It has two possible paths. The one it is currently on will cause it to collide with five people tied to the tracks. If you can pull the sword from the stone, it will switch tracks and hit no one. The question is, if you can't pull the sword from the stone, is Merlin a murderer?

I'm pretty sure Hulk held Mjolnir at least once.

If it's a large enough boulder, the individual concerned is trying to pull up what they're standing on...

Is it an east-bound trolley? How fast is it going and when did it leave Chicago?

I assure the people their attachment will remain firm even at a distance. Merlin knows the future like it was his past and that such strong bonds may cause stupidity but rarely mass suicide.

Then the Crane King will fly away. Trolley clutched in one claw Swordstone in the other.

Technically no, but who would tell him?

>true king tries to get sword from krog lord of the stone
>krog crushes him
>krog rules with a savage but fair iron fist for a plentiful 70 years

>IIRC Mordred used it to kill Arthur?
Depends on the version of the tale.

Calm down BELMONT.

>sticking sword through the window and stealthily knighting sleeping people

The Sword in the Stone literally breaks. That's why Arthur is given Excalibur by the lady in the lake.

Didn't Mordred use Clarent, a sword enchanted by Morgan to kill Arthur which struck the final blow after Mordreds death?

Then they are clearly a Wizard who are on a mission thanks to a not!vampire

Gods above, this took a long time to be posted. What the hell is wrong with Veeky Forums?

No, but if he's that strong whats stopping him from breaking the stone and retrieve the sword?

if hes that strong prophecy be damned he's going to take that kingdom by force.

Are you going to try and stop him?

No, Soma, you don't get to be both Dracula, Lord of Darkness, AND King of England.

Nope. The list is as follows;

>Thor
>Enrakt
>Cap
>Thunderstrike
>Deadpool (Kinda)
>Beta Ray Bill
>Red Hulk
>Roger Norville
>Awesome Android

So as far as anyone -really- cares; Thor, Cap, and Beta Ray Bill have weilded Mjolnir.

True King is a massive nerdlinger.
>ecksually

>(Kinda)
What?

You forgot Vision and Hela in the MCU.

>Implying a wizard bored out of their skull won't do that just to fuck with the future king and the peasants.

It's about the divine right to rule, not about literal meaning of the word.

SOMA WASN'T A BELMONT REEEEEEEEE

Superman too in a crossover.

And Wonder Woman in another crossover.

>Red Hulk
The fuck?

He made a gamma-powered copy called Red-Mjolnir.

>He made a gamma-powered copy called Red-Mjolnir.
THE FUCK

I lied, I'm sorry

No asshole that's not how it works, you gotta actually take the sword out of the stone. Now put the rock back so we can await our god blessed king.

THE FUCK

Why not reduce the stone to rubble?

Actually the comic used some relativity bullshit.
He basically grabbed mjolnir while thor was holding it and jumped into the stratosphere. There the absence of gravity allowed him to hold mjolnir and use it to hit Thor in the face

But Marvel Thor is a joke anyway so it doesn't count

Why does Thor always job to everyone? Isn't Thor a woman now or some shit?

Because if its one thing the magical creatures of fea and gods hate is a wiseass.

You'll end up fucked five ways to last sunday and not in a fun and pleasing way.

This guy gets it. You either play by the rules of the Fea or the leprechaun rams your ass.

No, he gets to be Kirk.

Keep the rubble

Throw it at lepres

Nigga, you aint making it out of the forest if Will-o-the-Murderwisp finds out you tried to cheat the game and you think you'll be able to get the stones with you too?

Who cares about a bloke what can pull a sword out of a stone. Anyone can do that. Now, the man that can put the sword in the stone, he deserves to be king

Yeah but you're literally gonna get mind controlled to think the guy who pulled out the sword is your rightful king.

>gravity
Oh good, fundamental misunderstandings of how molj works. This is why Thor sucks now

>he reads comics
>>>/leave/

user, it's pretty clear that at no point did Red Hulk actually gain the power of Thor, and just used Mjolnir as a convenient club to beat Thor with.
You are looking for a reason to shit on comics, but just made yourself look stupid.
Deadpool is the one that SHOULD piss you off, but since he is still memer's best friend, no one really bats an eye.

Wasn't the Deadpool one actually just Loki fucking around?

Or was that the one with Herc?

pool comics aren't something anyone should take seriously, is the thing

The Sword in the Stone isn't magic. It's just a sword. It's the stone that has the magic.

My God someone actually knows their Arthurian legend. That's rare on Veeky Forums. Good show, sir.

The guy who's been Thor is still around, he's just ruling Asgard right now as simply Odinson, as Odin himself is dead/MIA/I honestly forget.

Jane Foster (aka Natalie Portman in the movies) is currently wielding the power of Thor and calling herself Thor. But she is a different person from the big guy.

Meaning that the image I'm posting now is inaccurate, but still funny.

It's sorta surprising how butthurt people got about this when other people have had the Thor title besides Thor himself over the years.

If you're referring to the old guy with the stick from the early Thor comics, that was later revealed to have actually been Thor the entire time.

Otherwise, the change was usually for just a few issues. Marvel has, however, stated that Jane Foster is 100% the new Thor going forward, and so far as I know they still haven't gone back on that.

Worse it was an out-of-left-field thing. People liked Mike Morales becoming Spider-Man in the Ultimate universe because a) it was in an alternate universe, so they can feel free to play around; and b) they'd put a fair bit of effort into closing off Ultimate Peter's storyline well. There was a sense of closure for Ultimate Peter, and a new guy taking up the mantle as Spider-Man was the natural next step.

Likewise, when Barry Allen sacrificed himself in Crisis on Infinite Earths, it was a powerful moment and a good culmination of his character, and when Wally West stepped in it felt natural since Wally West had been around as the Kid Flash for years beforehand.

Jane taking over as Thor, meanwhile, was a) blatantly a publicity move, and b) completely out of left field as I don't think Jane Foster has ever been noted as being a hero before this.

loki tricked him into thinking he was thors son and gave him a fake mjolnir with the powers of the real mjolnir

>(Kinda)
>What?
It's Deadpool. The list of things Deadpool has "kinda" done include killing wolverine, killing most of the presidents of the US (past and current) and sleeping with something north of 50% of marvel's superheroines. Kinda. Just guess. You're probably not far off.

>Otherwise, the change was usually for just a few issues.

There was Thunderstrike too.

You act like 90% of modern comics aren't trash.

Supreme executive power is derived from a mandate of the masses, not some farcial swordpulling ceremony!

90% of everything is trash; why should comics be any different?

This is implying older comics are better?
Do you remember the 90s?
Do you remember how bad DC got in the 80s?
The legacy comics from the Vietnam War?
Thor is one of the few comic lines where the focus is the power and responsibility of the hammer, not entirely the character holding it.
Even then, Thor's (male) retirement was writing on the wall at the end of Ragnarok, and with your examples, a character had changed, but not the base nature of the stories. People could still clutch to the security blanket of "This is familiar and safe!", and the story is basically the same as it ever was.
New Thor (female) at least has a story and a background that isn't trodden for at least a decade. You can learn about her as she is written, rather than using shit you already know as a springboard back to SS/DD, which, to me, is probably the biggest sin of comics right now.
Fucking Transformers has had more changes, variety and twists (outside a handful of iconic characters surviving against all odds or being brought back from death for even worse deaths) than all of fucking Marvel, with no "alternate universe" excuse to make people comfortable.

I don't care that it's a 9 hour old comment, I understood that reference

Shit like this is actually exactly what I love about comics.

Way back in the 80's when Frank Miller wrote a little story where he killed off Batman (and caused a bit of an uproar), he defended it by making the argument that comics are basically a modern take on mythic storytelling. I'm going to paraphrase because I can't find the quote at the moment (and it's been 30 years), but the basic thrust was that there being a story about Batman dying doesn't stop people from writing more stories about Batman.

Like Arthur or Hercules or Theseus, he's a mythic character whose stories can be retold over and over by a succession of authors, each adding or embellishing the story as necessary. The fact that there's no over-arching chronology or consistency, and the details are malleable, is not a weakness of medium but a strength. The fact that each generation reinvents the archetypal characters as being "of their time" is a strength. Batman using a cellphone is anachronistic, just like Arthur portrayed in Renaissance-era plate - but it doesn't diminish the myth. Because it's not really about the events portrayed, it's about the themes, the society that creates them, and the act of retelling stories and hearing stories told.

>Roger Norville
Wait as in Shaggy

I don't mind the idea of someone else getting Mjolnir, nor the power of Thor along with it. I just mind the idea of that person going around and calling themselves Thor when they know they're not and they're not trying to pull a scam.

I know that some names become titles over time - Caesar, natch - but it still rubs me the wrong way.

My total exposure to Jane as Thor comes from Gwenpool, however, so I don't make any judgments about Jane or the comics themselves; I just quibble with the decision to have Jane be called Thor. But to be frank I didn't read Thor comics when Thor was Thor, so it's not like Jane being Thor has changed that.

In Indestructible Hulk he wielded Mjolnir, but that was when he time traveled to the past to before the worthiness enchantment was put on it.

The prophesy required you to remove it.

Isn't that just a jailbroken real Mjollnir, then?

That's strong evidence that they should NOT be king

>Fucking Transformers has had more changes
>thismegatronshell.jpeg

IS THE ROCK MAGIC?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!

>strong enough to pick the stone up using the sword as a handle and use it as a hammer, does he get to be king?

This is the way Excalibur is presented in Castlevania aria of sorrow. Since soma isn't the true king, he wields the sword and rock like a hammer.

MORDRED NO