You ever get that feel that your writing is pointless?

You ever get that feel that your writing is pointless?

That you will never live up to the epics of tolken, GOT, or dragonlance.

That no one out side your small game group cares about all the work you do writing?

Maybe you spend to much time on a childish hobby?

You ever just want to give up?

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/u/Curupira
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Nobody writes the stories I want to write, so fuck you. Stop self-loathing, if the stories are worth it you have to bring them to life.

I am aware of that but I don't care. Games have somw strong advantages over novels - interactivity, the level of identification with the characters, and collective effort (especially if you play with people you like, and not randos) that make up for lesser plot quality, together with the fact that things made by yourself generally taste better than just recieved.

Also
>putting dragonlance next to tolkien, or even gurm
Kek'd. Didn't you forget to add twilight and eragon as well?

No reason to feel bad, because someone with your mentality would never become a competent writer anyway. You need to believe in yourself enough to bleed for your work for years on end, writing, burning and writing again, doing research to broaden your insights, and constantly reading so you can learn from your betters. And then when the editor tells you it's shit, you take it on the chin and go home to keep improving yourself, because that's the only way you'll ever create something you can be proud of.

And by reading your betters, I mean serious literature written by people who had something to say about life.

I posted a greentext that one time, and a lot of people on Veeky Forums liked it. It's still reposted. Makes me feel big.

But nobody else is writing stories about loli-harems and elf concentration camps.

>Made a homebrew setting that only had humans
>Players insist on playing elves and dwarves and halflings
>Accomodate them
>They don't even pay attention to the lore I wrote specifically for them

Write for yourself, and no one else desu. Just try to perfect what you think is good.

It's reached the point where I don't even think my writing would be appreciated by the few people willing to say that they read it. I've stopped bothering with it, to the point where I don't even write basic RPG settings for the people I once played with.

I have given up and I can't bring myself to write any longer. Not because I am unable to reach greatness but because I can no longer believe that anyone actually appreciates my writing on any level.

Write it down for posterity.
Cases of writers being fuckall nobody, but in the future being reveered aren't unique.
tfw this happens for every great writer of your country

>You ever get that feel that your writing is pointless?
It's not pointless if I enjoy doing it.
>That no one out side your small game group cares about all the work you do writing?
If I write something specifically for a game, I'm well aware that it won't ever be read by the general public.
>Maybe you spend to much time on a childish hobby?
It's a hobby. It doesn't have to be mature. It doesn't have to impress anyone. It has to entertain me while I unwind in my downtime.

Yes.

If I needed other people to enjoy my stories to justify them then they wouldn't be worth writing.

They're meaningful to me and my friends. As long as they achieve that, I don't really care about anything else.

ikr?

I hate players sometimes. Fucking pricks.

But I mean, that sentiment is, like three quarters of Veeky Forums

What country?

No one inside your game group cares about the work you do while writing. They're there to show off their character sheet.

Actually I don't care about it. My GMing was apparently good enough that when I transferred to a new university I immediately got a group to GM, even though I use a homebrewed version of a not so popular system.

I've been acknowledged multiple times for the work I put into my setting, art, and games, and my family has been interested in it even though I only do it as a hobby.

The only reward I want is to live in one of my settings after I die, and for me and my players to continue having fun.

That's why you just write stories for you. Do you think Tolkien gave a shit about what others thought? He wrote a badass fantasy novel using inspiration from his own life, truly the chad of literature.

Also
>Dragonlance
Literally what

I liked Dragonlance, tho.

I mean, I liked it better than Forgotten Realms.

Except Kender. Fucking Kender.

Portugal

>That you will never live up to the epics of tolken, GOT, or dragonlance.

What a fag. None of those people wrote "to live up to the epics." They wanted to tell a story and told it, so stop being a bitch.

You write only to compare yourself to others? No wonder you are such a downer.

Get that sometimes. Still posting the damn setting in the blog and getting some fans outside the group.

Unique things about it:

>Sacrophysics justifies:
>Underdark-sized cave networks
>leyships.
>Anything with a single name can acquire a soul, from people to cities.

>dwarven geomancy allows for the cultivation of geodes into city-sized chambers
>international corpse smuggling fuels the war machine of the first lich and his crawling undersea necropolis, partially made of rotten flesh. Besides other things, it uses necromancy to create explosive undead, including whales.
>imperial bureaucracy uses around 30.000 seers to find out the worth of your taxes a month from now
>a nation of megatherium herders based on gaucho romanticism
>universal Soldier-esque frankstein-like steampunk cyborgs opress the populace serving a titanic analogic computer
>sea and moon goddess is a giant mermaid whose fins generate the sea currents. She spawns spell pearls and her bellybutton is a maelstrom leading to inseide the moon. It is hollow.
>orcs are unplayable bone-scarred necrogenic apes
>the war god's avatar is made of 300 soldiers acting in perfect unity
>Slavery is legal
>spontaneous combustion is diagnosed as a disease
>two gods don't exist 364 days of the year
>Repetition muskets
>a prison made from chained ship hulks in the midst of a lake
>therapeutic curses
>giant snakes made of corindon
>sea centipedes with fins instead of legs
>sultans are djinns and the superior caste of their land
>mountain dwarfs build citadels of pykrete
>two unique races
>dwarven war shovels and steel bows
>samurai use firearms

Set your sights higher. Realize that you're never going to live up to Homer (at least in sheer influence), and that none of the writers did or ever will; in this regard, you're on the same footing as them.

bump

I don't feel my writing is pointless, in two year's time, I'll publish, and my if my writings make someone's day, than that's worth it.

Keep on coming on user, keep in on coming on.

All human achievements will be forgotten on a long enough timescale. In 100,000 years, your story will enjoy the same infamy as Shakespeare.

Thank you for your words.

Maybe one of these things may repay them:
pastebin.com/u/Curupira

>GOT
>dragonlance
I don't think it would be hard to live up to those lol

Many thanks, enjoy your weekend.

When you're young, everything is novel and enjoyable. We greybeards remember those fondly, but it doesn't feel the same. It never could. It doesn't daunt us anymore.

Focus on concentrating your communication into the fewest words possible, then concatenate 50 interesting happenings together. You'll get there.

Honestly, all I want to do is write campaigns that my friends enjoy playing in, and will talk about, even after the campaign is over.

I don't care if it's not as grandiose as other fantasy epics. I just want to make something fun for my friends that leaves a good impression on them. If I know they enjoy it, that just makes me happy.

Yeah. Because it is.

>or dragonlance.

Seriously though, rereading Legends and I can't put it down. Dragonlance will always be the "official" setting of TSR in my memory.

>accommodating the players

why would you ever be so foolish

>Dragonlance
Boy, I've seen better writing than Dragonlance on the business side of my toilet paper.

Post some of your writing then, show us what you've got.

Trying to live up to Tolkien is just going to frustrate you, the man was good at describing everything in detail. I'll reserve my opinion on Martin and GoT, as I'm not interested in starting a war. Dragonlance is Dragonlance, and the setting is more interesting then the novels.

I write what interests me, and don't concern myself with whether or not people will read it or even be interested in it. As long as my gaming group has fun that's all that really matters.

That... doesn't help.

I'd never finish anything if I expected people to read it very critically.

The idea my writing might be successful held me back from writing at all in my teens.

WHY THE FUCK ARE THERE 10 /R9K/ THREADS ON Veeky Forums???????

Kafka was fucking crazy anyway. Not much from him is going to help anyone.

>That you will never live up to the epics of tolken, GOT, or dragonlance.
In the grand scheme of things everything's going to be dust and echos, so do something that you enjoy and other people will remember as enjoyable, even if it's just a handful of people. Game of thrones hasn't been around for more than 50 years, Tolkein hasn't been around for 200 years, and no-one at all remembers the howls of the first humans millenia ago.

If you want to strive for greateness, sure, but Ozymandis and his empire should be a cautionary tale, not something to aspire to.

Does it matter if no-one outside your small game group cares? If you touch just one person with your stories, that's one more life you've touched than if you never touched anyone at all.

Choose quality, this may give you quantity.

I can't believe no-one has fpbp yet

You are pathetic, writing to please your own ego. No wonder you failed.

>I want to give up because I am not as good at something as the best and most defining people in it.

What in the world will you ever do at all, then, user?

>You are pathetic, writing to please your own ego.
not him but
>tfw you realize you've been doing that all along.

Why does that Templar have Anduril/Narsil?

Your writing is pointless, so why care about posterity if you enjoy it?

>le chad = ubermench
I wish normalfags would leave things they don't understand alone