ITT, we discuss why plebians can't accept the fact that Shadowrun is not only the best setting ever created...

ITT, we discuss why plebians can't accept the fact that Shadowrun is not only the best setting ever created, but also the best system.

Which edition?

To be fair, you need to have a very high intelligence to enjoy Shadowrun.

Look dude, I dont know why you're like this but not everyone likes the same things you do, and not everybody enjoys the same systems as you. I'm sure we'd have a much better discussion if you said something along the lines of "Shadowrun is in my opinion, the best setting and has the best system, prove me wrong". You can do better next time, I'm sure of it.

>setting
Yeah it's great, although later editions have kinda dumb lore to shoehorn their pet characters.

>system

Shadowrun is good in spite of the system, gtfo

While the skeleton of the system is pretty solid. 5th edition has been bogged down minor problem that accumulated until the whole roof fell apart.

Also its has a big identity problem. Not deciding on whether shadowrunners are scum with a gun and a promise of peanut-pay. Or guys who are beyond normal people as D&D adventurers.

This translate into the mechanics as well. With the game lying by saying it doesnt have classes but the snail-pace character progression, point spread and the need of role filling force overspecialization.

Yeah, but he has quads, and your shit's all gay and you talk like a fag.

I actually really like that "identity problem", as you put it. Though yeah, 5e is hot garbage.

Rude

dice pool is a shit way to handle tests

I only played one session of Shadowrun at a con and while the setting was very interesting, the system for stuff like Magic and especially the hacking/matrix thing seemed way too complicated and the GM just handwaved it most of the time.

By chance did you get angry when mc Donald's didn't have enough szechuan sauce?

>the system is bad because it's complicated
No it's bad because of a lot of reasons but it's not fucking complicated come on

gonna add some protesters in front of the Stuffer Shack next food fight

The lore is interesting, but the huge amount of crunch is kinda off-putting to me, even though I usually enjoy crunchy games. Still waiting for a friend of mine to educate himself well enough with the rules to run something for us.

Honestly I've never really been that big of a fan of Shadowrun's setting, especially later editions where they get into post-cyberpunk magitek utopias (magitek utopias are by default terrible settings). It seems like the years leading up to what would become Shadowrun have a much more interesting story to tell.

Honestly, I'd be much more interested in a setting that takes place before Shadowrun, during the period where the Corps are still evolving into Megacorps and slowly devouring most world goverments without anyone being able to do anything about it.

I want a game where Magic is still basically brand new and nobody really understands it, and the populace isn't sure what's causing metatypes yet.

I want a setting where Big Pharma sends contract kill teams to investigate pro-bono Lifemages curing AIDS in Uganda.

I want a setting where teams of scientists across the globe are trying to figure out the thermodynamics behind Power Bolts.

I want a setting where there are massive oversights because Metatypes technically aren't human and therefore can be construed to not have human rights.

I want heinous WW2 biological and psychological experiments performed on Metatypes to exploit this.

I want clunky augs that don't always meld cleanly with the human form and might have horrible long-term side effects from their use.

I want SJWs boycotting Tolkien and D&D because they're retroactive Blackface against people who didn't exist when they were written and making gigantic pyres of the best of the fantasy genre in the name of keeping everyone from being offended.

>I actually really like that "identity problem", as you put it

Why do you like its identity problem? I makes the game and DMing it an inconsistent affair.

If Shadowrunner are scum but then a pc fresh from chargen can crush a car with its bare-hands then either their opposition has a ridiculous power level or the Shadowrunner is so beyond the norm that the fact he is working for peanut pay is dumb as fuck. Specially considering the whole vibe from 3rd and onward of Shadowrunner as "just in for the money"

System wise if Shadowrunner have to sweat every encounter then the power level is too high for PCs but if they are suppose to kill 10 guys each, then why the system uses the same painstakingly detailed system for NPCs than for PC that make running big groups of them a chore for the DM.

Why not use a system like FFG star wars on NPC minions for expedience?

Setting-wise I don't care about the "muh pure cyberpunk vs muh can't give up on Tolkien-shit" camps but the Shadowrun system is one of the clunkiest piles of shit still around.
I genuinely want to hurt the person who decided that every single character archetype should have a subsystem of it's own, complete with it's own idiosyncratic rules and jargon. (not to mention it was written by the kind of people who think "treading water" and weapon spreads needs it's own resolution mechanics spelled out)

The reason you can't find anyone to run the game for more than a couple of sessions is because it's a horrible piece of shit of a system.
All Cyberpunk ones are for some reason (not counting narrativist non-games obviously) but Shadowrun takes the cake.

Because clunky chunky cyberpunk is infinitely superior to the smooth LED sparkly avant-garde aesthetic. Mechanics reflect this, even if in that regard it's to a deficit.

>the best system.
Wow dude. WOW DUDE

>hurr the setting is better clunky so it should be painful to play it as well
Neck yourself.

>especially later editions where they get into post-cyberpunk magitek utopias

Confirmed for never having actually played SR, or read a book about the editions you claim to hate because the internet told you to.

What an interesting and thought out perspective. Here, have a message from corporate while I think through the ramifications and benefits of such an idea.

>cyberpunk but with D&D shit shoehorned in for that guy who just has to play a dwarf in every game
>"best setting"

2nd edition obviously.

Sorry, but I just don't really like the way they handled AIs in 3+. Not to mention that the aesthetic shift to holograms and AR and smooth augs that blend seamlessly with the human form.

I want more feathered hair and protruding antennas and boomboxes in my Cyberpunk.

>Shadowrun isn't complicated
You ever run it, chummer? Running it RAW is a pain in the ass. Environmental modifiers alone are so fucking stupid they'd fit right in as a college class.

You've clearly never played as a matrix-user, either.

The later editions are still as shit as the past, it's just that the tech is slicker. You're still setting foot in slums the moment you leave the corporate enclaves.

Best logo too.

I dislike large portions of that setting.

I really never cared for the setting and the corps.
Pretty sure older (2e) SR is more about your follow man and I would like that more but I could be wrong.

>Best system
No
>Best setting
Hell No
>Best astetic and most fun to play
Now you're on to something

Dragonfall does Shadowrun a lot of justice, mostly because it distances itself from a lot of the sillier stuff that no one past 15 years of age living in the late 90's can take seriously. I'd like to see what a fantasy cyberpunk Rojava would look like, and the Redmond Barrens is a convenient slice in the default setting where you could make that happen.

I think the mechanics are kind of stupid as I'm more of a 'rulings not rules' kind of guy, but the fact that this game is just "fantasy shopping" on steroids necessitates a large degree of granularity in the rules set. Shopping in this game is what "building a character" is in 3.x.

It isn't for everyone, but for some reason, it's easier to get into my character despite how abstract everything is.