Armor

What is the best low/medium crunch system for armor Veeky Forums ?

Leather usually has minimal crunch when struck due to it being soft.

GURPS: After The End.
And I'm serious here. It's a synthesis of 3/4 of GURPS rules spread over dozens of books to make it simple and useful for a post-apo game and in the process creating a ruleset covering shitload of things, while staying simple and transparent.

Personally, I prefer Damage Reduction as armour. Makes the most sense to me.

This

Armor reduces damage, depending on the level of crunch you want, you may give it different levels of reduction vs different types of damage (piercing, bashing and cutting damage is usually a good division) and/or factor in what parts of the body the armour actually covers instead of it just being a straight reduction.
Then if you want to get into more detail, you can factor in weight, movement restrictions, perception restriction for helmets, etc.

Will check that out

Impossible to answer in a vacuum. 'Best' depends on context, on what the system is trying to achieve, as well as being highly dependent on how the damage system works.

I like the multiple values system and damage types, but the body part I don't see how to do that without added bookeeping.

Plain bonus to total defence or even total combat capability. Anything above that can't really be considered "rules light"

I believe the 40k rpgs do it by simply reusing the percentile dice. The dice roll they use to hit is the same dice roll they use to randomize hit locations.

System is aiming to find stay as close as possible to [Characteristic+Skill+D10 vs same/difficulty] for as many things as possible.
So for combat that's [(Char.+Weapon skill + D10) vs same] If attacker is higher damage is the difference + weapon damage.

How would you handle weapons meant to defeat armor like maces and whatnot?

Lower DR

Dodgy lightweight armour is the other way.

I'd think those weapons would just overcome more Damage Reduction somehow. Either by doing more damage or by piercing through an amount of DR. But honestly a mace probably hurts a lot less when you've got armour on.

And how the FUCK you would use armour otherwise than damage reductor?

Technically not getting hit is a damage reductor

Also a D&D like AC system just assumes that missing in full plate is not hitting in a spot that matters, e.g. you're not going to hurt someone in full plate with a dagger (or even an arrow) unless you hit a less protected spot

using it as part of DR reduces the amount of steps needed.

AC*

Dodge bonus, chance negated, aesthetic only.

I dunno, read a book.

>2017
>Even considering this pile of shit as a point of reference
One of the things I love about being poor-ass Pollacks is how we avoided D&D entirely. The hobby went pretty well, shitload of books got published, but D&D never became a thing outside jokes about its shitty mechanics.

Except the idea was based around naval miniatures games. It won't matter how often you hit if you can't dent the armor belt, so it's like not hitting.

>And how the FUCK you would use armour otherwise than damage reductor?

Each body part (that is able to be rolled at the hit table) of each race has:
Penetration Damage multiplier = PDM
Penetration Multiplier =PM
Blunt Damage Multiplier =BDM
All those must be higher than 0 unless, a soft scifi or fantasy race.

Each Armor has:
Penetration Reduction =PR
Blunt Reduction = BR

Each weapon has
Penetration Damage = PD
Blunt Damage = BD
Weapon Penetration = WP
All those must be higher than 0 unless, a soft scifi or fantasy weapon.

If WP - PR =< 0:
Damage = (BD - BR) * BDM

IF WP - PR >0:
Damage = (WP - PR) * PD * PDM * PM

If you want to make even more complex, each body pat would have max penetration.

max penetration = MP

If WP - PR =< 0:
Damage = (BD - BR) * BDM

IF WP - PR >0 and < MP:
Damage = (WP - PR) * PD * PDM * PM

IF WP - PR >0 and >= MP:
Damage = MP * PD * PDM

In GURPS armor grants Damage Resistance, which subtracts from damage taken.

When choosing the armor your character will be wearing, you need to consider how much it'll cost you and how much it will weigh versus the DR is gives you. Weight will determine your exumberance level, which in turn affects your movement speed and dodge scores. GURPS uses active defense rolls to avoid hits, so someone without armor will have a better chance of dodging than someone weighed down by heavy armor, but the person in armor can shrug off more blows thanks to his DR. GURPS has a lot of tech levels but for this example we'll assume we're operating at Dark Ages level of tech.

For example, plate armor provides an excellent weight to DR ratio, but is very expensive during this time period. It provides the best DR per pound, providing both protection and relatively low ecumberance, but only the wealthiest can afford it.

Mail armor provides excellent DR for a good price, but is very heavy, so a character in mail will likely have a pretty poor dodge score.

Leather, cloth, and other light armors provide pretty low DR but they are very light weight and cheap in comparison to the other types.

This creates a nice system of differentiating armor without explicit dividing lines between light, medium, and heavy. Lightly armored characters and heavy armored characters are both viable in different ways, and the styles feel mechanically different, which is always nice.

>t. has never played D&D
shamefur dispray, senpai.

>Technically not getting hit is a damage reductor
Damage in the context of system design is a very specific construct. 'Armor as damage reductor' is a very clear descriptor of a specific way of handling armor in RPGs.

Dungeon World. Has best armor and damage mechanics of any RPG I've ever seen. Also, fast and flexible core mechanic that is way better than d&d or really any RPG out there. Certainly better than babby 3.5 shit where you are literally not allowed to grapple without having 7 feats.
>imb4 butthurt Pathfuckers

>Parroting memes about something he's never even looked at
I can see why Polish jokes largely revolve around stupidity.

/Thread

Like sheer volume of armors? or like best armor rules?

If the former than Palladium, between fantasy, historical and sci-fi it probably has 500+ armors in it.

Only if your armor making ability is shit is leather soft.

You either make a heavy one where the more of your load is weapon/armor the more effective you are at combat (but the less other stuff you can carry and it slows you down, expensive to maintain, etc.) making it mechanically a resource management/optimization puzzle, and/or something to work towards.

OR

You make a weakness matrix like pic related between weapon and armor types (please don't hurt me).

>a heavy one

I'm not sure what "a heavy" is doing there

Thinking about it, you could combine the two. Your weapon/armor has type and weight. weight determines how good it is at protecting/killing, type gives you a bonus or a penalty against some armor/weapon. If you want to go a step further, you could make combined weapons/armor, with 1 selection for each weight category. So you could have superheavy (x3) plate that's super good against piercing weapons but gives little protection against bludgeoning, or you could have a combine plate/maille/cloth armor (also x3) that's equally good against all form of weapons.

That should about cover every possible armor configuration.

Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 2e

Bunch of great ideas in there, keep them coming

Interested, any chance you have a download somewhere?