I really want to be supportive about peoples creativity when it comes to modelling ,but for fucks sake

I really want to be supportive about peoples creativity when it comes to modelling ,but for fucks sake.

Rick and Morty in 40k would be funny for an episode

Reminder that if 40k were written today, it’d have R&M references.

Original 40k was peppered with references when not openly ripping off other work.

wouldn't rick die? like some assassin or inquisitor would just fuck him up

goddamn that rick roleplaying stuttering shit is fucking horrible, and the lucius is fucked up beyond saving

from this angle the sluice pipe looks ok but given how low effort the "conversion" is (he just glued plastic together) I'm willing to bet it looks like shit and will get a similarly horrible paint job

inquisitor rick xD

Theres a difference between a clever reference and just sticking lines from a show into things so people can go "I KNOW WHAT THAT IS'

the things 40k referenced still exist, And it was generally done as a pastiche of hard sci fi or a love letter to british sci fi/pop culture.
40k is a very british time capsule, if it was made today it'd be the big bang theory of tabletop games and it'd be terrible.

eh, that's a wide brush you're painting with there.

I'd rephrase it to say:

>if 40k was made today by hasbro it would be the big bang theory

like british people aren't churning out vomit inducing pop trash, that's america's claim-to-fame

Britain has alot of shit culture, but 40k was always a mix of british comics and sci fi, politics, architecture and classic american sci fi.
It was an amalgamation of things before it was popular to have references in things , back when doing that meant more than just "OH MY GOD I KNOW WHAT THAT IS HAHAHAHA""

40k today wouldn't be made by punk art students in a pub reading 2000AD, It wouldn't be rough around the edges, It'd be a generic sci fi universe where someone goes "Hey, look, here's rick and morty! look at this! you like rick and morty?! WE GOT EM! in our game! hahaha isn't that subversive! "

40k was the young ones of tabletop games, now it would be the big bang theory because that's the cultural standard for entertainment that references pop culture.

I hate that you're right about this. That's why most new things are awful.

Most new things are made by fans of old things.
Alot of good stuff like 40k comes from the underground, it's born out of subculture and acts as a watered down version of that that gains mainstream appeal whilst maintaining difference to the norm.

A few years down the line you have fans who never knew about the original stuff that inspired the thing, so they write for the thing, or make their own stuff, and the exposure to that subculture/pastiche is watered down. they know that 40k was full of references but that haven't read Micheal moorcock or aren't as confident messing around with genre, so they make sci fi WITH GANDALF IN IT?!
Repeat ad infinitum and you get diluted lazy reference humour like the big bang theory.

It happened to star wars, dune, the Simpsons, tolkienesque fantasy, sci fi ....

The good new stuff out there is probably in a game club written in biro on a notepad, or it's at the bottom of kickstarter because it doesn't have the cash to make a slick campaign.
it'll rise to the top in time.

>clever reference

Too bad nobody told this to 40k writers.

>Rick would die
No, user. That's stupid. His entire character is built on hypercompetency. There's literally nothing that could stand up to him in 40k that he wouldn't immediately drunkscience to his advantage.

Eh, This is SO blatant that it goes overboard into obvious silliness. this isn't them putting in a character called Oobi Wen Kanubee who uses a life sabre, This is them just balls to the wall having a giggle at the things they love.
There's a willingness to mock the things you love in the early 40k primordial soup that doesn't seem to exist in contemporary pop culture reference because everything is held up as sacred.

To reuse my example of the young ones, It's the same as the episode where they mention the good life and then take the reference to surreal levels by having Vivian destroy the opening credits to the good life.It's an interaction with other culture that extends beyond merely acknowledging it's existence for the sake of audience recognition and cheap titillation.

Explain this one then.

what?
if you mean that last (oddly new) looking bit about them being nihilistic,smart and darkly humours then that's true, chaos has always been like that. there's nothing inherently wrong with that character template.

>wouldn't rick die? like some assassin or inquisitor would just fuck him up

>40k was the young ones of tabletop games, now it would be the big bang theory because that's the cultural standard for entertainment that references pop culture.

I feel like corporations are slowly getting the message though. How long can they ignore the decreases in movie attendance, television viewership, and general dislike for obvious, hollow products? BBT being big on television is like your newspaper being the top seller in the country. It just means you're the fattest rat on a sinking ship.

>it'll rise to the top in time
That's the important thing to remember. All the clever, funny and interesting stuff from the past we remember wasn't always well known in it's day, and things of the same quality are being made still.
Not by the same sorts of people and in different places with different inspirations but the underground creatives are still out there.
A lot of people get really salty saying no one's making anything good, and that's because the people who are making good shit are too busy enjoying themselves to publicise to the ignorant.

It's shopped.

>Explain this one then.
You mean how the text at the end with the meme obviously is a different typeface than the rest of the text?

That's called a "shop".

To be fair, you have to have a very high Iq ect ect ect....

Indeed. I was working in the store where the guys behind gaslands were playtesting and they were having a blast.
My gaming group have been having loads of fun lately making up homebrews using the old pirates pocket model game, and I'm in the middle os using those rules to make a simple fantasy game and an airship combat game.

The good stuff, the fun stuff born out of passion, takes quite a long time and normally brews over a few years, during which time it develops a nice patina of other influences that adds some depth and flavour too it.
Look at Lazerburn and look at rogue trader. The predecessor is a fine game, But the reason rogue trader caught the eye was because it added a whole heap of extra gubbins to throw yourself into.

>wouldn't rick die? like some assassin or inquisitor would just fuck him up

His entire character is built around somehow casually avoiding death while constructing a scientific way to win the fight WHILE the battle is going on.

He beat a Catachan Eversor Rambo Machete guy...as a fucking pickle.

Well fuck me, I wanna re-watch the Young Ones now.

It's always a good time to watch the young ones.

This is a shop. I can tell from some of the pixels and having seen quite a few shops in my time.

>Original 40k references the works of Homer, John Milton, George Orwell, Robert A. Heinlein & Tolkein.

>Nu 40k references children's cartoons shilling for McDonald's and other assorted internet memes.

Our culture's fucked.

Rick and morty I'm really getting that whole hipster feeling about. It used to be nice when it was relatively niche and anything like this was original and cute, but now it's fucking everywhere, neckbeards are screaming WUBBA LUBBA DUB DUB from the rooftops and things like OP pic are fucking everywhere and everyone wants you to know just how cool and original they are.
Fuck. At least BoJack I can still enjoy in peace.

People have been saying modern culture is fucked since Plato, probably earlier

culture kinda got downhill after athens decided to chimp out after the second persian war, and got even wars with those spartan fucks doing the same in the peloponnesiac war.

And they've all been right as culture gets progressively worse every generation

They were right

It's the most Reddit TV show in the world. Fuck that show-like all the Reddit shit that gets mocked on here? It's the literal embodiment of it. I'm surprised Rick hasn't got a fedora

Wow! What a hilarious joke! And at the same time a sly post modern satire of Thatcherite England. This show certainly was years ahead of its time, and not some overhyped piece of shit that 40 something Brits wank off to.

I think the major change in recent years is the difference in magnitude between hyper-popular and niche media. Social media makes the most popular things way more popular than ever before, while the second-most popular just disappears. What's the second-biggest adult fantasy novel series? It's not ASoIaF, so fuck it.

That makes it feel like, even though there's more -- and more diverse -- good stuff being made than ever, everything increasingly revolves around a few overexposed Hot Brands. And in terms of the market, that's true! It's a great time to speak to the last common denominator. It requires actual commitment to find new and interesting media that hasn't been pre-approved by Big Content.