If my setting has an evil god, can he have evil paladins?

If my setting has an evil god, can he have evil paladins?

Other urls found in this thread:

dandwiki.com/wiki/Blackguard_(5e_Class)
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

it's your setting so he can have whatever he wants

No, because Paladins are a force of Lawful Good. (or Law if you use the older alignment system)
Chaotic and Evil gods get to have Anti-Clerics though.

Yeah, why not?
If you don't like the term for an evil paladin, call them hellknights

This was mainly what I was uncertain about.

Hellknight is kinda cool, thanks.

Being a god, he kind that doesn't define what "evil" and "good" are, this should function like that at least for his followers

Depends on the setting.

Hell yes.
Dark paladins that act just like normal paladins, heavy armour, big maces, the righteous attitude, the only difference being they're on the other side is the coolest shit and its not done nearly enough

Do you think it would be a good idea if I made them all undead? Or would it be better to not?

Is this answer good for anything but memes?

Probably.
I'd use a term other than 'Paladin' though.
It has too many connotations attached.

4-Corners paladins are a think in unearthed arcana.

eh, make them a mix of undead/not undead/, unless "being undead" is central to the villian(s) of the setting. Otherwise it makes no sense since plenty of living things are completely evil.

What are Blackguards?

It is honestly correct a shit load of the time.

I don’t actually know what that is, please elaborate.

>inb4 urgh, D&D...
dandwiki.com/wiki/Blackguard_(5e_Class)

I just realized that this was not a good example because I didn't realize this specific one is a homebrew class, but it should be enough to give you the gist of what it is supposed to be.

An evil paladin equivalent.

Yeah, those are called Antipaladins, or Paladins of Tyranny, or Paladins of Slaughter in D&D.

Why is there a homebrew 5e Blackguard Class? 5e lets you be an evil paladin and even has the Blackguard as an actual archetype for them in the DMG

Sauce on that miniature? Reverse image search is failing me.

What is an antipaladin.

Oathbreakers specifically need to be a different kind of paladin first, then break their oaths. It's not Blackguard.

A terrible name

Antipaladins, you inbred cur.

Oh, less stupid than I thought then.
Still though, seems unnecessary when you can just be an evil vengeance paladin.

No alignment restrictions in 5e so go for it.

>not collecting an entire army of evil-aligned paladins in 40k

They're chaotic though

We're talking about OPs setting. OPs setting can have LE paladins if OP wants. It's his setting. That's how this works.

yeah but focus on the paladin part more than the evil, they should be doing stuff because god want's it not because they are crazy evil edgelords.

Yes
A lawful Paladin will follow the tenants of his god, because his gods understanding of the world is beyond that of man.
A good Paladin will follow the tenants because he believes his god has the best plan for everyone.

So unless you say only LG Gods can have Paladins any Alignment God could have them.

No one?

False. Talking in 3.5e terms there are in fact Black Guard, Paladin of Tyranny, Paladins of Slaughter, and Paladins of Freedom, of which only the Paladin of Freedom is Good and Chaos aligned. In 5e, Paladins can be of any alignment.

If a Cleric and an Anti Cleric touch, do they annihilate? how much energy do they release when this happens?

I like this. Paladin serves god of death and the underworld.
Follows him because “we all come into his cold embrace eventually”

In my game I've said yes.

I'm running curse of strahd for my brother and a couple friends... he's playing an oath of vengeance paladin of asmodeus.

The backstory is that he is being sent to barovia by his god to defeat strahd and take control of it for asmodeus. The other players don't know that and I'm looking forward to them defeating strahd and turning on eachother when they realize who the paladin really is.