/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

Rolled 7, 16, 13 = 36 (3d20)

>Xanathar's Guide Table of Contents
web.archive.org/web/20171016180500/https://www.dndbeyond.com/members/BadEye/articles
>Forge Cleric - Xanathar's Guide
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/DnDXL2017_Forge.pdf
>Unearthed Arcana: Fiendish Options
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA_FiendishOptions.pdf
>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/
>5etools
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html
>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck
Previously, on /5eg/...
How many skill check is too many for one thing? Rolling for perception, Insight, and persuasion.

Other urls found in this thread:

anydice.com/program/d70f
anydice.com/program/d713
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>dungeons and dragons thread
>posts a picture of a warcraft character

I was thinking with my dick. I try my best to roll to seduce.

You're in the tavern and this guy slaps your Warlock's ass. What do you do?

How many orc dicks did she take in Grim Batol? More or less than a million?

Rolled 3, 2, 4, 3, 6 = 18 (5d6)

Butt I am the warlock. I use dragon breath.
Non, they can't bred dragon mount with her.

>triggered cuck
Lol

>Counterspell
Two spell slots left at most. Now what?

Now THAT is a good question to start /5eg/ with.

You can't counter spell a dragonborn breath weapon. Checkmate.

My party is going to be having a couple years downtime before we resume a new adventure, I want to give/upgrade a magic item for each player.
One of them is a fame-obsessed duelist, swashbuckler8/Battle master 3, who doesn't yet have a magic weapon. I want to give some sort of magic rapier, though I'm not sure whats a good effect. He's very much built for 1v1, and thats what his character wants to do. I considered something like casting compelled duel on hit with charges, but that just stops them from moving 30 feet away. Whats a cool, useful magic effect?

How powerful are their existing magic items, if any, and how strong do you want this to be?

Five million, if mimic's art is to be believed.

They have a lot of magic items but theyre all pretty low power, but this is a level 11 character, being rewarded at the end of an arc, so i want to give pretty decently powered items

For example, my Triton paladin is getting an upgraded version of his trident of fish command, which isnt finalised but I think will be +2, can also spend its charges to cast conjure animals (aquatic creatures only), and once a day can be thrown to summon a spectral shark that goes with it dealing an extra 4d10 (unfinalised, but its about the damage of a giant shark)

>mimic's art
wut

So why aren't you playing a Land Druid instead of a Wizard?

>Superior atrribute dependency
>Shapeshifts adds superior mobility without spending spell slots
>No need to scavenge around for spell books, you just know then all by default.
>Amazing spell list to choose from as well
>Can heal properly and even revive.
>Your party will always prefer a druid over a Wizard, because wizards are shit at supporting compared to a Druid.

Do you even CoDzilla anymore?

>Superior atrribute dependency
But nobody has intellect in the party aside from the wizard, so you're fulfilling an important role. EKs and ATs don't need intellect. artificers and mystics are UA shit.
>Shapeshifts adds superior mobility without spending spell slots
Wizard can use a familiar for scouting. If you're not scouting, you're splitting from a party and therefore an idiot.
>No need to scavenge around for spell books, you just know then all by default.
But overall less spells you can know, whereas wizard is prized for having a lot of strong spells to choose from.
>Amazing spell list to choose from as well
It's underrated, yes, and it's good considering moon druid is powerful, but it's still not as good as wizard's, though it offers some unique utility.
>Your party will always prefer a druid over a Wizard, because wizards are shit at supporting compared to a Druid.
Yeah, no, wizards are plenty fine at supporting. Portent, all sorts of various utility spells such as knock or arcane lock or making fucking demiplanes or whatever the fuck or at high levels infinite clone armies.

I would say moon druid is on par with wizard. Land druid is maybe a bit weaker than wizard, but better flavour-wise than moon druid. Fuck moon druid.
You should have both a druid and a wizard.

>Gloryseeker
>This golden rapier is finely crafted and heavily enchanted, with a single large diamond for a pommel. A chain of alternating gold and silver rings connects its jewel encrusted sheathe to a miniature, but otherwise identical, blade which hangs from its end.
>+1 Rapier
>Once per turn, if no other creature is within 15 feet of the attacked creature, the attack deals an extra 2d8 piercing damage.
>When you roll a 20 on an attack roll against a creature, that creature is charmed by you until the end of your next turn.
>When you roll initiative, you may designate a creature you can see as your opponent. You have advantage on the first attack roll made against that creature each turn, and creatures other than you are treated as having half-cover when targeted by your opponent. This effect lasts until you or your opponent are reduced to 0 hit points, or if you move more than 200 feet away from each other.

>ATs don't need intellect
>The skill monkey who is strictly superior at skill checks compared to the wizard, does not need intelligence
A.. are you okay? Do you have a concussion?

>familiar
>Anything to do with mobility
D.. dude.

>moon druid
>Better than land druid
Dude get help, holy shit

>The skill monkey who is strictly superior at skill checks compared to the wizard, does not need intelligence
They do not NEED it.
They can prioritize expertise on athletics, stealth, perception and whatever they want to do with that last one. Perhaps investigation, but then if you have expertise in that you don't really need an intellect boost. It's easier to leave the int skill monkeying to a knowledge cleric or a wizard unless you have a load of spare points after point buy and you don't feel like getting godly grapple checks or some shit.

>Anything to do with mobility
It does have something to do with mobility - Why do you need mobility in the first place? Usually solo mobility isn't as useful as party mobility (Fly spell can make everyone else fly) so it's best used for shit like scouting. If you use it for escaping attacks, there's billions of other ways to do that, too.

>moon druid
>Better than land druid
>Dude get help, holy shit
Is this bait? 'Oh, At a high enough level you can cast polymorph an extra once a day as opposed to being able to self-polymorph yourself as a bonus action twice a short rest'

>But overall less spells you can know, whereas wizard is prized for having a lot of strong spells to choose from.
This is entirely GM dependant. Some might throw everything at you, others will really make you work hard for it. You also need time to copy the spells, and depending on the campaign, that may not be time you can afford to spend.

Wizards actually has a lot more assumptions tied to them than people realize. Their flexibility is all assuming they get a ton of spell books.

Personally i think it is a toss up. Druids feel better as a base class, and you really cannot underestimate he sheer power they are going to get at the higher levels. As someone mentioned in the last thread, you can cast spells while shapeshifted at 18, and flying around up high, or scurrying around as a mouse through holes in walls or the ground, while also flinging an 8th or 9th level spell at your enemies, can be incredibly difficult to deal with.

And personally, if we had no casters in the party, Druid>>>>>Wizard. We need someone with healing and resurrection spells, and I feel ljke you are underestimating the sheer battlefield control a druid has.

>unless you have a load of spare points
That additional ASI usually means an AT have little reason NOT to pump Int.

You should be grabbing feats and dex ups, meaning you'll only have room for getting more int by about level 12, and at that point you should just get even more feats because feats are way fucking better.

>Is this bait?
>'Oh, At a high enough level you can cast polymorph an extra once a day as opposed to being able to self-polymorph yourself as a bonus action twice a short rest'
Yes? I dont know, it sure sounds like it, but it seems odd to ask other people if your own post is bait.

That, or you have missed why a Land Druid is good, or overvalued why a moon druid is good.

Remember that a Land Druid still has shapeshifting.

That depends entirely on your build.

A VHuman is interested in CBE and not much else. Sharpshooter is not worth it for a Rogue with very limited attacks, where you NEED that sneak damage more than anything.

You should start at 16 Dex. Second ASI should land you at 20 Dex.

Now what? You still have 4 ASIs. What exactly do you want that is so much better than just pumping INT? Expertise feats for being even better at your INT checks, with at least 14 INT from chargen?

>getting to level 12

Slap his ass back. There's no way he can outdo me now!

Well, you'd better explain how any of the actually reachable land druid features are anywhere near as good as the shapeshifting upgrade. The arcane recovery copy is good, but again I can compare it to the shapeshift upgrade being a non-concentration bonus action usable up to maybe 6x as many times as the arcanerecovery-for-polymorphspell conversion.

Doing a belated halloween session with a powerful witch coming to fuck shit up for the party. Do you guys have any ideas for cool halloween-themed mechanics?

So far other than retheming the area's looks and having the witch change looks of enemies, I've got cursed candy that monsters can chow on to heal & buff.

Never talk about 17+ levels when talking about wizards, or 18+ if I remember right levels when talking about bard.
Those are the levels they obtain wish, at which point they become so horrendously broken that it doesn't matter if you can shapeshift at-will or whatever the shit, the wizard wins.

Wish is good, but not particularly more broken than anything else that happens at those levels. The available effects are nice, using "beyond the scope" is stupid. Also lol counterspells.

I am sorry to hear that your presence destroys your groups/campaigns before they get that far. The rest of us enjoys getting to 18 minimum.

Shapeshifting is completely broken (by martial standards) at certain levels, but the oddity of druids is that you cannot cast spells while shapeshifting.

The issue is that you are a fullcaster who loses your fullcaster status. Sure you can shift out, but then you lose a charge of wildshape, which is still very limited.

Basically moon druids become this odd hybrid of being either a great martial and a fullcaster, but never both. A real martial class is better than a shapeshift druid (courtesy of GWM) and a Land Druid druid has better options for casting spells due to circle spells and arcane recovery.
>Muh polymorph
Why the fuck so you keep bringing up polymorph? What sort of retard wastes all of his slots exclusively on polymorph?

Wish is heavily overrated. It got neutered too hard.

The main draw is the "cast whatever the fuck you want" feature. Having a chance to burn it and never regain it, is retarded.

Go to rule34 site. You want tags "Alexstrasza" and "mimic".
Lo and behold.

Wait, make that mimic_(artist)

>Cast level 8- spells for free
That's the key broken part of wish.

Hmm...
That's... Oh my. Damn, that's a lot of dicks.

Speaking of druids

I am 2000 exp from my 9th level spell slot. I am looking at true resurrection, and
>died for any reason other than old age

Call me autistic, but I have a medical degree, and hace worked at a hospital, and this wording is retarded.

Nobody dies of old age. If that was true, everybody would die more or less at the same time. They dont. The current average disparity is almost 30 years apart.

People die of organs failing due to the food and drink we ingest, or external injuries caused by a deteriorating motor control system, as well as a poor general fitness level (no training, sitting still all day, clogging your blood veins). And of course, confusion as your general awareness abilities diminish into nothing, are you spent 3 months staring at a TV and having people bring you food all the time.

No one dies of old age. That is not a thing. You will never find a respectable doctor who, in his autopsy, calls cause of death "natural" or "of old age". It is the equivalent of drawinf a circle around "x" in the "find x" math questions. It is retarded, and paints you as an absolutely moron, or best case, as a joker, which is not a good thing when it is on a fucking autopsy.

I am probably never going to try using it on anyone other than a recently killed person, because I just know I will get into a long discussion with the GM about this. Fuck you, WotC. This would have taken you 2 minutes of asking literally any doctor to clarify.

>Cast level 8- spells for free
>Costs a level 9 slot
>Free
>Inigomontoya.jpg

>Call me autistic
You are autistic.

I know. But I have studied this fucking topic for 16 years, so it is justified autism.

Level 11 druid here. Did you ever have to deal with underdark memes? DM is really fucking me with plantgrowth not working.

>Nobody dies of old age.
False. In D&D when you reach a certain maximum age defined at birth, range of which is determined by race, you pass away. No amount of regeneration, healing or anything else helps it, the planes just call for your soul and it leaves your body.

>Can't cast spells while shapeshifted
You would rather make shapeshifted attacks while shapeshifted than cantrips. As for non-cantrip spells, you only have so many a day to cast anyway so you can shapeshift when you're preserving slots, and you can cast a spell or even a concentration spell before shapeshifting.
>being either a great martial and a fullcaster, but never both
But it is both. It's a fullcaster when it's convenient to be a fullcaster, and a martial when it's convenient to be a martial. Fullcasters are better out of combat and have burstey control and power, martials can go the long run, take hits and do combat in general. You don't need to be both at the same time, you just need to be whichever is more important right now, and twice a short rest is more than enough to cover that. Of course, their damage output won't match a proper martial's, but their damage-taking capability outmatches even a barbarian at most if not all levels over a long day if they can attract attention.

Circle spells are nice, but I wouldn't say they tend to open up any incredibly strong opportunities since druid still has their own fairly unique great spells to use

Polymorph is arguably the strongest spell that you can get before level 10. It's versatile, can turn a useless party member into a strong one, give extra HP for a fight to someone or shut down an enemy. There are other uses, but it's the easiest thing to compare to.

You're missing the fucking point.
Simulacrum. For free.
Clone. For free.

All these spells that aren't broken because they're limited by your money access are now broken.

That does not sound right.

Unless you fuck with it with shit like cloning, reincarnation and so forth.

No, never.

Might be due to my GMs hatred of Dark Elves, and his refusal to acknowledge anything related to them, underdark included.

>[Citation needed]

What level 17 Wizard has money problems

This is Marut, an inevitable (law-aligned extraplanar entity) responsible for those who use unnatural means to extend their life span. He will bash your skull in until it sounds right for you.

Paladin died thinking of making a kensei or hexblade next. Help sway me.

>limited by your money
Okay then, if you say so.

Simulacrums cost a lot and then cost a lot to upkeep if you want multiple of them.
Wish allows you to have as many simulacrums as you have long rests.

Not at level 17 it doesn't.

See This is the difference between 'I have, what, 5 clones?' and 'I have infinite, endless armies of clones that you can never, ever hope to get rid of'

Marut is a joke. Anyone who he should be ACTUALLY going against is perfectly capable of defeating him before breakfast.

Lucky you. To answer your question as True resurrection brings them back as they were I would imagine that if someone died via a heart attack it would kill them as soon as they are brought back.

The key factor I think you're missing here is that a level 17 Wizard (especially one with an army of fucking duplicates) can make money by rolling out of bed. Anywhere he goes, there are people who'll pay big bucks for the wonders he can work.

>I have infinite, endless armies of clones
>1 per day
>Infinite
Sure, in your little theoretical bubble where you aren't playing a campaign, but are merely jerking off by yourself.

>underdark included
That's retarded.

Obviously, otherwise you would have to end every quest introduction for the party with "but actually the extraplanar forces of nature have dealt with it, so you can stay at the tavern".

And in 3.5 if you wanted to Marut-up some rowdy players, you could always teleport in a few of them, advanced to 40 HD, and appearing while the party is asleep.

By that logic, they would also instantly die from anything else that had killed them, rendering the spell pointless.

"BUT TIME" you say. Yeah, what about it? Would a slow acting poison, administered over 5 years, also be unable to be fixed? Would that also be old age, or would that arbitrarily not be old age?

And before anyone else does it for me;
I AM MAD AS FUCK REEEEEEEEEEE

Get your simulacrums to also cast it. I can't remember if there's anything stopping them.
When you have enough simulacrums with portent you can basically determine every roll that ever happens as you want it.

You say that, but there's a limit to how much money you can pilfer from the world, how much people are willing to trust giving an immensely powerful wizard more power, so on so forth. The DM will probably also not want to give you tonnes of money knowing you're going to make yourself unkillable.
I'll have to double check expected late level money values and spell costs later, but I imagine you'd still rather have all that shit for free, especially since you can then spend the money on ridiculous shit.

*Shrug* I dont really care honestly. It is a super autistic reaction to it, but I was part of the group whem we had Drow snowflakes, and I can see what led him to this decision.

I wouldn't have gone this far, but it literally doesn't affect me, so I dont give a fuck.

This is a spell for Sorcerers Warlocks and Wizards

Isn't this basically flame blade, a druid spell? But better?

Wizards are objectively more powerful with a single level dip of cleric
Yes or no
They have the same spell slots, half a spell slot less in arcane recovery, require another wizard level to prepare the next highest level of spells but they get various useful low level cleric spells such as bless, healing word and more importantly they can shoot their AC up to 21 without spells with forge cleric with no real downsides other than stealth disadvantage and wanting higher strength. 19 AC if getting a medium armour cleric domain. Also +2 HP over pure wizard.
But there's some nice shit like knowledge domain to be king of int-based skills.

Concentration kills it, although gishfags should be happy. If you could stack it with Tenser's that would be fun.

A level 5 wizard is objectively better than a 4 wizard 1 cleric. Milestone levels make a big difference, and delaying them is extremely noticeable in actual play.

But a wizard5/cleric1 is better than a wizard6.
And not every max spell level increase has 'must have' spells.

Gishfags will NEVER be happy.

Seems cool, but a but weak, dont you think?

>Gishfags
>Happy
WotC feeds off the rivers of tears shed by salty Gishfags, and will forever BTFO them to keep the stream running.

>twin with sorcerer
>dual wield 2d8 weapons

Honestly, it makes a pretty good off-hand weapon, too bad it eats your first bonus.

Remind your DM that fungus and mushrooms grow in the underdark

Just watch out for when the DM pulling myconids and mind controlling spores

Solidified GLOOM

>twin
Read the book black man

Here are some numbers

anydice.com/program/d70f

As you can see a Wizard can now do melee damage on par with a Martial.

It's a second level spell that you can use with extra attack for 4d8+ability mod damage per round that scales and grants advantage to itself. This thing seems awesome, not weak.

>Incompatible with bladesingers in AL

Holy shit, I didn't even think about the fact that booming blade can be used with it. Arcane trickster is officially the most busted thief subclass since it also has finesse and is a wizard illusion spell

*most busted rogue subclass

>could be fun as a hexblade spell

My Warladin boner just fucking exploded

Are there some genres of fantasy that are more suited for a "West Marches" campaign? (Rotating cast, one session = one wilderness excursion, hexcrawl, no "level scaling")

Steve from Rollplay uses gothic fantasy and weird fantasy styles on the West Marches stream. But is that the only way?

>rolling to seduce
Bard please go

Shouldnt lore bards be stronger since they havr access to all spell lists and is a full castrr?

>thanks t. arcane trickster

anydice.com/program/d713

Added a couple more numbers

Actually the Warlock's melee invocations key off of the pact weapon, which Shadow Blade is not. You're best bet is to hope your DM will let you use Shadow Blade with Booming Blade.

It counts as a melee weapon, raw you can use booming blade

post more

There's nothing (other than your DM) stopping simulacrums from casting Simulacrum or Clone. Furthermore, there's nothing stopping them from using Wish to cast Simulacrum or Clone for zeo gp cost. Since you can only create 1 simulacrum at a time per caster, using them to self-replicate and make clones is the ideal scenario. Simulacrums can't regain spell slots, though, so you have to do some micro-management of them in order to keep your infinite Simulacrum/Clone farm running without spending dosh.

I like how this 2nd level spell is better than Mordenkainen's Sword. Oh, wait, no, fuck that.

>TFW Arcane Trickster
Oooh boy dis gun be gud

I'm really interested in trying out an Immortal Mystic, but it seems a tad OP on paper. Anyone play one and have any opinions and experiences?

This seems like it was made specifically for Rogues.
>2nd level Illusion
Okay, it was DEFINITELY made specifically for Rogues.

Jesus Christ man, Arcane Trickster was already a strong contender for strongest subclass. Now they completely broke it.

Welcome to WotC, the only company worse than Paizo.

Don't. Wait until it gets a proper release. It has far too many problems currently.

>Hurr durr anti-psifag, list them faggit
I am not going to write a 4 page essay on the problems. It could be an entire thread for itself.

CBE is practically a must, or mobile/magic initiate depending on swashbuckler or arcane trickster as an alternative.
Once you use your first three ASIs, there are tonnes of far better feats than getting +int.
Resilient (con), tough, alert, maybe even some odd ones like dungeon delver to really be the trap man. Or you could up con higher. Int really doesn't give you a whole lot unless you really do throw out a lot of save spells, when really you should be using utility spells.