/STG/ - Star Trek General

For the Maquis Edition
Traitorous Bastard Sub-Edition

Previous Thread: >A thread for discussing the 'Star Trek' franchise and its various tabletop adaptations.

Possible topics include Modiphius' new rpg 'Star Trek Adventures', WizKids miniatures game 'Star Trek: Attack Wing', and Gale Force Nine's board game 'Star Trek: Ascendancy', as well as the previous rpgs produced by FASA, Last Unicorn Games and Decipher, the Starfleet Battles Universe, and the Star Trek universe in general.

Game Resources

Star Trek Adventures
-Official Modiphius Page (Rules, FAQ and Player Resources)
>modiphius.com/star-trek.html
-PDF Collection
>mediafire.com/folder/0w33ywljd1pdt/Star_Trek_Adventures

Older Licensed RPGs (FASA, Last Unicorn Games and Decipher)
>pastebin.com/ndCz650p

Other (Unlicensed) RPGS (Far Trek + Lasers and Feelings)
>pastebin.com/uzW5tPwS

Star Trek: Attack Wing
-Official WizKids Page (Rules, FAQ and Player Resources)
>wizkids.com/attackwing/star-trek-attack-wing/

Star Trek: Ascendancy (Rules and Player Resources)
-Official Gale Force Nine Page
>startrek.gf9games.com/

Lore Resources

Memory Alpha - Canon wiki
>en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Portal:Main

Memory Beta - Noncanon wiki for licensed Star Trek works
>memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Fan Sites - Analysis of episodes, information on ships, technobabble and more
>pastebin.com/mxLWAPXF

Star Trek Maps - Based on the Star Trek Star Charts, updated and corrected
>startrekmap.com/index.html

/stg/ Homebrew Content
>pastebin.com/H1FL1UyP

Other urls found in this thread:

starfleet-museum.org/
starfleet-museum.org
shipschematics.net/startrek/federation.php
shipschematics.net/startrek/related_ships.php?search_source=Internet - Nathan Kaiser
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Man, Eddington was just the worst. He was a brown nosing asshole when he was in Starfleet and then he was an insufferable self-styled hero for the Maquis. If i'd been Sisko I'd have probably started poisoning planets too. Also, sort of weird that the Cardassians didn't just poison all those worlds, first as last, seeing as the toxins don't affect them.

The Cardassians probably just never thought of it like that. I bet that once Sisko showed it was possible, someone on Cardassia was like "man, that's a hella good idea, why don't we do that?"

A fucking leaf.

>Eddington
>Loyal
Wut?

Loyal to the Maquis

By that stage they had bigger issues with the Klingons anyway, so it's not like they could spare the ships.

No he wasn't. He made more trouble for the Maquis with his stupid hero posturing. He only ever cared about his stupid real life adventure than serving anyone or anything.

Before Eddington, the Federation regarded the Maquis as misguided and a threat to peace with the Cardassians, but not a threat to the Federation directly. The Maquis were limiting themselves to raids on Cardassian targets in the DMZ, and Starfleet was content with "investigating" without committing any serious resources to the problem because after all the Cardassians were targeting the Federation colonists themselves.

After Eddington joined, the Maquis began attacking Federation targets, resulting in Starfleet having an actual reason to get involved directly. Additionally, Eddington took every opportunity to taunt the commander of Starfleet's presence in the sector (Sisko), causing it to become personal and encouraging Sisko and Starfleet to commit to actually tracking down and dealing with the Maquis, resulting in the capture of Eddington, a considerable loss in manpower, and the poisoning of a Maquis colony.

tl;dr Eddington did nothing right

*assimilates your heart*

I feel like a lot things relating to the Maquis fall apart under scrutiny. We’re clearly supposed to sympathize with them but instead to come as entitled assholes doing their best to start another war over some shitty, eminently replaceable colonies.

They truly were the United States

>We’re clearly supposed to sympathize with them
Their first appearance has them murder innocent people just for shits and giggles.

lolno

I -think- the Maquis were supposed to be Bajorans 2.0, where the production crew were already aware early in the show that fans weren't digging Bajorans, and loved the Cardassians, so they thought "what if we had the Cardassians opress human colonists instead? That ought to make people hate them like we intended!"

We're not supposed to sympathise, but at least comprehend. The reasons are quite petty given the world they live in, but it's perhaps understandably petty. They're still assholes though.

I will always have a special place in my heart for the dildo ships. They make me think about how much lower tech Enterprise could have been.

What are they even from. I see them in threads all the time.

We're supposed to sympathize in the same way we sympathize with all the other human antagonists in the franchise, where it's understandable where they're coming from when you look at things from their perspective, but they're still wrong when you look at the big picture and can end up fucking things over for other people.

Starfleet Museum

starfleet-museum.org/

Siegfried best girl

starfleet-museum.org

It's a long time project that was to give a plausible development chart of ships from the Phoenix to Daedalus to Constitution.

It's pretty in-depth, and has a rather good take on the Romulan war.

>Siegfried best girl

Genuinely cannot decide between Avenger, Paris or Kestrel myself.

Are those KDF marks to represent enemy ships destroyed? Because if so that's pretty hardcore.

Well, she is a Dreadnought.

NO ONE CAN DEFEAT THE QUAD-LASER

Imagine being the guy that has to go outside and paint that shit.

Beats scrubbing manifolds.

shipschematics.net/startrek/federation.php
Challenge: find the worst abomination.

Don't have to look, you know the right answer.
Hint: best captain served on it.

I dunno, pic related is particularly tacky...

It's just a Jewish Sovereign-class duder.

Nigger, compare the scale of the defiant bits to the rest.
You want worse? Here's worse!

The creators have said that the Maquis were made for Voyager. They were introduced in TNG and DS9 as set up for Voyager's premise.

I don't even

ahahaha

Step aside Romulan scum

That would actually make for a pretty bitchin' TOS-era Romulan battlecruiser.

>hello fellow federation humans i am here to science and do explore

I don't even know where to begin with this one.

What the polka dotted fuck was wrong with those designers?

The fuck? Does the Picatinny Rail let you mount modules or some shit?

That's not too far off from a FASA Benton or Chandley-class. Although the blatantly 22-23c Klingon engines mated to a Cheyenne saucer are a little much.

MOAR

That would probably be a violation of the treaty. Which the Cardassians wouldn't want, because the treaty was good for them and they couldn't win a real war with the Federation.

>space sea flap flap
Captain Irwin reporting!

I.... Actually kinda like this one....

The ship wil always have a place in her captain's heart.

I feel slightly dirty for that

This thread is more dead than the O'Brien's bedroom.

Given that it's called the USS Overkill, it's hard to hate on it. It's clearly designed to be ridiculous. If you modded KSP for Star Trek, you'd get something like that.

I dunno, I feel like they have a lot of angry sex. They’re 2 kids in, after all.

The writer's spent a lot of time trying to reform them into a relateable antagonist. I think that's why Eddington, career Starfleet officer suddenly turn terrorist. His whole speech he gives at the end of that episode is bout how Strfleet have unfairly persecuted the Maquis and if they could just leave one another alone that would be just peachy by them.
He is, of course, saying this after hijacking a large shipment of industrial replicators from Starfleet intended for humanitarian aid. So you know, pinch of salt.
To my mind the best representation of the Maquis as a sympathetic force came with the 2nd last episode of TNG, "Preemptive Strike" where an attempt is made to personify them. Though a lot of that comes down to Ro Laren naturally siding with them because she has a hate-boner for Cardassia.

>Yes, I too enjoy such Earth delicacies as root beer and baseball

Alright, so far in Armada 3 I've come across the following as random events:
Whale Probe
Planet Killer
Rogue Borg Cube
Tal Shiar Raid
Dishonoured Klingon House Raid
Ferengi/Talarian/Orion/Kessok Pirates
Species 8472 Incursion
Mirror Negh'var
Mirror Sovereign seriously fuck this one so much. It has an aoe that can wipe out most of your fleet in an instant
Malon Waste Freighter
Am I missing any?

I think i remember seeing the crystalline entity in the past as well as a Pakled raider.

>Implying.
You know Keiko's a cuckquean, she's bringing in entire parades of other women for O'Brian to fuck.

Every single one of these looks like they were made as a piss take
And ever single one of them bar these
Actually manage to look better than the STD ship.

>crystalline entity
That annoys the shit out of me.

>Oh look, here's some space vampires that eat a few people every now and then
>Anti-matter warhead from orbit

>Crystalline entity that strips whole worlds of life down to a depth of several miles and has killed at least billions.
>Try to make peaceful contact and crucify the scientist that killed it.

In STO you and a bunch of other players get to blow that fucker up in space.

Some are definitely jokes, anything by Nathan Kaiser for instance...
shipschematics.net/startrek/related_ships.php?search_source=Internet - Nathan Kaiser

Fuck knows about the rest though.

Especially FASA designs.

Including his XO.

The situation with the Maquis is a mess.
That's one of the big points, as Sisko himself flat-out states.
It's easy to be able to say things are simple and sum them up in a sentence or two when you're passing judgment from Starfleet HQ in San Francisco (or a Mongolian Fishmongering Board).

...Orville?

Nope.

Discovery.

There's a #NotTheOrville hashtag, right?
If not, between stuff like this, and the beer pong, and the Vulcan Suicide Bomber, and the captain fucking the admiral, and all the stuff I've forgotten, there needs to be.

Are we in the Mirror Universe? The Seth MacFarlane show has genuine hope in humanity, relatable characters, and self contained plots, while the Star Trek show has gratuitous swearing and sex, millions of dollars wasted on VFX for a fidget spinner ship, and unlikeable characters who try to out-edge each other at every opportunity.

>Mirror universe episode is going to be a cross over episode with Orville
>It is revealed that Discovery was the mirror universe all along

It hurts because it's true

This one feels like they were almost on to a good idea but couldn't quite make it work beyond a clunky kitbash look.

I ahve been thinking about: If Federation in universe created a show that's supposed to be like star trek (to showcase starfleet for further population or something), what would it be like ?

Obviously, the cast would be far more diverse (alienwise, as they would try to include as many species, despite how human-dominated starfleet seems to be). But what would characters be like ?

inb4 there's already episode like that

That reminds me of the Stargate SG1 episode when they make a fake version of the show in order to throw off people thinking that the Stargate was real. I think it was called Wormhole X or something like that.

The Orville

Wormhole X-Treme

>the children survived with the help of a more advanced, artificial lifeform. Their mother was missing or dead. The end.

I loved the one where they had to revisit it with other concepts because the original show was flagging in ratings.

Stargate might not be a bad idea, I think that it'd be neat in universe to watch a sci-fi show about a different method of exploring than what's already existing.

Otherwise might as well just make 'reality tv' type stuff or documentaries.

That would explain why literally no named character isn't sleeping with their boss.

That's basically one of the akira builds from starship creator, so the clunky kitbash look is pretty spot on.

Because it's just oversized Akira with Sovereigns saucer

This week on Orville:
Another example of why they have seatbelts.
But really who was surprised about that shuttle crash in a Branon Braga written episode?

I think that's every major character accounted for in getting an episode now. And I like all of them. Even Lamar. 8 episodes into any other star trek (other than TOS but then stuff worked different there and most of the cast was filler) there were major characters I did not like. Some of them I never liked (half the cast of Voyager), others grew on me like Bashir.

>He put that in a damage report?

There's some potential though for that kind of thing. Maybe if they'd used the Sovereign's nacelles and redesigned the booms to fit better, and made something more fitting of the weapons pod.

I like that all the main characters have been fleshed out with an episode each, but I'm more surprised that Orville has started and stayed relatively strong for a Trekish show. Just about every Trek show has had a garbage first season, especially TNG which this show emulates.

He had to start as strong as possible to get momentum behind the show. He's also clearly been planning this for a while, so he didn't need to use recycled scripts of dig in Rick Berman's bin of "Ideas no one will let me put in star trek" for the first season.

Which is why the quality on Discovery isn't bothering me, it's Trek tradition that it takes two seasons for the show to find its footing. I just hope that the Klingon war is just the plot for this season, and not the whole show, and that once its over and the characters aren't so on edge anymore, that the tone will be lighter.

*Or dig

Pretty sure that's what someone who expects the show to be canceled two seasons in would say so that afterwards they can complain it "never got a chance" and "It's old trek fans that are to blame".
But I'm a cynic.

The quality is fine, it's the tone that bothers me. All of the characters are irredeemable assholes and there's no thematic purpose behind it. As far as we know they'll just keep on fucking each other (figuratively and literally) until the Discovery implodes or some similar explanation of why we haven't heard about it since.

I actually feel like the show quality is extremely high. It has very high production quality and it shows. My issue is the tone and the writing, both of which are highly un-Trek-like and I can't enjoy either. When every character on your show is a 20-somethings asshole without a reason for it, it drives me a little batty since that's not what Trek is supposed to be about. If it added something to the universe, if it served a good purpose, I could overlook it, but it doesn't seem to do anything other than be smarmy for the sake of being smarmy.

The problem most people seem to have with STD is that alot of the crew of Discovery come off as really unlikeable people, while in most previous Star Trek shows the quality of writing might have not been that great, the characters where somewhat likeable that you bothered to watch even the shittiest episodes.

>Captain Larry
>"Git'r done!"
>smashes beer cans on his head after successful mission
>beleaguered Toby-from-Office-esqe HR officer constantly explaining Larry can't just order female ensigns to slob his knob
>constantly "fixes" things himself in engineering with duct tape and plumber crack that the chief engineer has to go behind him to actually fix
I'd probably watch this. Maybe he's the son of an admiral or has dirt so they have to let him command something.

Discovery has a big problem in that it misses of the things that is very core to 'trek:

In star trek typically the people are the kind of people you can respect and expect to be respected by. Maybe even want to hang out with, chat about shit. Even some of the assholes like Kirk or Worf, you can expect to do their job and do it professionally and not be so awful that you'd never want to interact with them.

Being star trek in name it carries with it the baggage of expectations, and a big one is that you're gonna enjoy seeing smart, and very importantly; decent people doing things and solving problems.

So considering they have left money behind in the era star trek takes place, what was that bank for ?

Dildos

The Bolians have a bank too, mentioned in DS9.

My headcannon is this: Earth no longer uses money, but that isn't the case for everyone in the Federation, despite all member worlds not really having a need for it within the Federation, they might keep their currency around for cultural reasons. Beyond planetary currency, there's also a Federation currency good in all member worlds, and also for trading with races outside the Federation, Federation credit would just presumably be handed out to whoever might need it at no cost. Which is how, say, Sisko's father, who makes no money off of his establishment, was able to import Ferengi food for Nog.