What's the proper use of Atlantis in a good Alt-History campaign?

What's the proper use of Atlantis in a good Alt-History campaign?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7tx783Z5gso
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Cute mermaids

It's the name of the American continents. North Atlantis and South Atlantis, home to various tribes of Native Atlanteans and several nations that sprung up as a result of colonization, such as the Federation of Atlantis.

Still existing, home of an advanced civilization that dominates the Atlantic, who everyone looks at with both envy and hatred.

Sunken Atlantis is boring af, still existing Atlantis is BEST Atlantis

>being this retarded

>Removes all the wonder of Atlantis
>Makes it MarySueland
>Good
You're joking right?

Fuck wonder, I want Atlantian magic-powered triremes patrolling the Atlantic, collecting the Posiden Tax from the ships of the "lesser races" as those in Atlantis call the rest of humanity.

>Fuck wonder
And this is how we got 3rd edition and "magic as a science"

Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water is pretty cool, watch that for inspiration.

The place the mecha came from.

having rewatched the animated film recently it got me thinking how a rejuvenated but extremely small magitech Atlantis would mesh with a inter-war and WW2 era diesel"punk"

it also got me thinking about who the fuck the atlanteans where fighting in the prologue

The atlanteans were fighting "everyone". It mentions in the movie that they went on a campaign of conquest which is why they angered the gods. They tried to conquer all the lesser civilizations.

the thing is their enemies ought to have weapons just as effective since they failed, if I'm not mistaken they try to weaponize their hueg crystal which backfires horribly, so either it was done as a way to turn the war or maybe just plain hubris.

Hubris. They tried to do shock and awe, but it backfired.

Well, in my LotFP game I am using Atlantis as the location of the Elves, Halflings and Dwarves (as well as the catalyst for the arrival of various monsters, magic and other changes).

Atlantis being a "Rome before Rome."

The most powerful and advanced nation-state in terms of military, culture, philosophy, and magic, but like Rome, it will fall due to its own decadence, permissiveness, and hubris. In Atlantis's case this will result in it falling into the sea after some catastrophic event that could have been avoided if they had been more careful.

Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? "No," says the man in Washington, "it belongs to the poor." "No," says the man in the Vatican, "it belongs to God." "No," says the man in Moscow, "it belongs to everyone." I rejected those answers; instead, I chose something different.

As a tool that Plato used to make an argument.

If you're going to have At-fucking-lantis in an Alt-History campaign, you might as well make it as retarded as possible.

When the Tuatha Dé Danann sailed off into the world some centuries after defeating the Firbolgs they came back god-like.

Nobody is sure where the ones that sailed west of Ireland went to.

>Alt-history
Nothing is Alt-History about Atlantis though, it was part of a story made up by Plato. What alternate historical even happened to suddenly make the fake real? At that point it's just fiction.

Is that built in minecraft? Fucking nice.

I think he means Atlantis existing and making an impact on history is alternate history

They tried to used the heart as a weapon, and it backfired. That's why they were keeping it hidden, to avoid repeating mistakes of the past.
The movie suffers from terrible pacing issues, but fuck were the designs and soundtrack god tier. One of my favourite childhood films.
youtube.com/watch?v=7tx783Z5gso

>Rome fell because decadense

Gibbon get out.

You want to know why Rome fell? Look up how Roman Emperors died. More than half of al Emperors died in the hands of Romans. The Empire fell because Romans coyldnt stop killing each other.

>implying Rome didn't fall because of latifundia owners and horrible state of lower classes.

People will always look for the singular reason for a thing due to the drive towards neatness.

It's easy to say "Rome fell due to decadence" rather than start listing off the many other contributing factors.

It's more than that though. Rome had a myriad of problems: debasement of it's currency; high lead content in the water; failure to maintain a strong and centralized government via divisions in the empire itself between east and west; piss poor management and loathing of the foreign mercenary armies; moving the focal point of the empire to Constantinople (though doing so allowed the East to survive for another 1000 years more or less); and more!

> Not using "Spirit Science" Atlantis

Some things are too dumb to be fun.

I didn't believe that once. Now I do. I am not happier for it.

A civilization that found an ancient Finno-Korean Hyperwar relic and abused the shit out of it

So, Alt-antis?

It's all mermaid conspiracy, reeeee

I remember that video

It's the most LSD tripped out ridiculous bullshit, but as far as a wacky sci-fi mythos goes I always thought it'd be fun to run a game in.

Source of magitech Nazis use to win WW2 and fuck the rest of the planet up enough to qualify as post-apocalyptic. Basically waterworld meets Wolfenstein, with Germany as one of the few unflooded regions.

So how do the Atlanteans look?

That it used to be this great ancient city, but after the great calamities that plagued this mythic citadel the inhabitants were forced to flee as the sea itself swallowed it. Now the survivors eke out a life in dour, grey hills in tribes.

Burly Mediterranean dudes with hairy chests.

>doesn't know fucking anything about Atlantis before it sunk
Fucking ignorant pleb.

Atlantis was technically real. Plato used cases of real life natural disasters that destroyed entire city states and basically combined them all into one single legendary city. There are places all over that region of the world where you see road and cart tracks just stop in a dead end at a cliff. Or sunken cities full of clay pottery and stuff on the sea floor. I mean shit, look what happened to Pompeii.

So yes, there were city states, and being Greek, Roman, Macedonian, etc. were warlike and relatively technologically advanced for the time, and some natural disaster wiped them all out one by one over time. So in that case Plato was just a lazy hack who took the only interesting tidbits of a bunch of meh tier real life stories and combined them all with a shit ton of embellishments into a super saga.

>"I'll meet you in atlantis, when it sinks again." - old pirate farewell

Captured during the great age of discovery off the coast of bermuda by Jennings, Bellamy, England and Vane, Atlantis is an ancient mobile island/fortress and safe haven for all pirates that places them not only on par with european nation's naval forces but in many ways above them - for when Atlantis arrives off the coast of a colonial island, most governors prefer to surrender themselves and their colony to the temporary rule of the pirate kings than dare defy them.

At the same time, all who fly the pirate flag are granted at least temporary respite and time to sell their booty upon the island for 5 nights, after which they exist (or don't) at the sufference of the whims of the pirate kings.

Some say the concentration of wealth due to their "port of last resort" for every pirate in the regions is so great that atlantis' true power lies in the strength of "atlantean gold", which has bought off and bought out many of the old european nations, and is why even the european colonies primarily trade for and in "atlantean dubloons" even when Atlantis is nowhere near.

But that's better, not knowing what happened before the flood. Besides Plato's thesis, everything is the interpretation of other authors, we can just wonder about atlantean culture, history and technology but never say for sure what it's all about, it's the concept of lost history we'll never grasp and that's what makes it interesting, not just having a still standing perfect civilization