What would be some motivations to get to a Wish spell in a D&D-esque environment? If resurrection exists...

What would be some motivations to get to a Wish spell in a D&D-esque environment? If resurrection exists, and you can't alter things on a wide spread level without any implied consequences, how strong would the desire have to be for an adventurer subjugate themself to life threatening challenges in order to obtain it?

Nerf magic in general. Make magic and Resurrection less common if even possible. Make your dragon balls be the only source of magic.

Try not using a DnD system. Or make sure your practice using your DM powers.

Also reduce the cost of obtaining the balls until they have made it a commitment. Then you throw in the challenges that they have to over come to mitigate the loses they have already invested.

>immortality
>power
>the elf's panties
Did you even try OP?

...wanting something otherwise difficult to obtain?

To become of noble blood so you can marry the princess.

To remember the way back to your noble savage tribe lands.

To learn the ocean path to the new world.

To learn the secret name of the fairy king.

something to eat

How many people do you think "can" cast wish or resurrection in a D&D-esque setting.

Because your more or less asking the pope for resurrection.

That's the thing, I don't want it to be so that a known wordly entity can cast Wish, it's something you have to earn.

>To become noble blood in order to marry the Princess
Wouldn't that be unallowed considering the fact it would retroactively change the mindset of a nation at the very least?

hindsight is not a game mechanic.
wishing for a king-slaying sword doesn't equal wishing for a dead king.

There are some curses that can only be lifted with wish/miracle and beings that can folks folk up bad enough that resurrection won't work.

>Make your dragon balls be the only source of magic.
Fucking why, when the setting they come from is magical as fuck.

Bragging rights.
>I summoned the eternal dragon and all I wished for was this stupid t-shirt

Being able to duplicate other spells makes it worth it, anything else you can get away with is icing on the cake.

That seems pretty lackluster to me.

>can't wish for immortality
>can, at most, get 50k gold
As written, wish is such a goddamn letdown

What do you think should be the limits of Wish then? How powerful do you think it should be?

NO LIMITS

But seriously, when I GM I basically let my characters be gods with infinite power (except outside their own realm). It's always awesome

If a Wish spell like the Dragonballs truly gave someone access to untold power, don't you think governments and military powers worldwide would be constantly seeking to find it?

>red ribbon army

To become, not have always been

>cross class spells like Regeneration and Resurrection
>spells you only use once or twice and don't want to waste a "spell known" slot on like Clone or Guards and Wards
>situational spells that solve problems completely but you likely wouldn't prepare like Mirage Arcane or Legend Lore
>you don't have to provide costly components or set aside casting time for ANY OF THIS
Having a card to play that says "fuck you I have exactly the spell I need right now" is extraordinarily useful, even if it's only once per day. Don't think of it as a combat spell, it's the God Emperor of utility spells.

I always thought they missed an opportunity by not having Goku fight Agent Orange.

Thank you Plague.

>assuming the setting.
if i can cast wish without the balls then why the fuck would i even think once about getting the balls? a setting with standard magic will make the dragon balls almost useless. You have to give them a reason to need to go for the balls. otherwise they wouldn't bother.

>Wish for vampire powers without weaknesses or stupid paladins hounding you
>Wish for immortality without having to become a lich
>Wish for the gods to stop being retarded and start acting in a way that benefits the most people in the long run
>Wish to be the little girl

Plague has made many great works.

Have the whole campaign revolve around getting the dragon balls but then it turns out that it doesn't make a bit of difference, guys. The balls are inert. You have to power them up, and that's where the next part of the campaign picks up.

>You get the ability to turn into a bat as well as having blood feed you, and nothing else. Only smart paladins come after you.
>You're a biologically immortal jellyfish.
>All the gods go full zerg guild so that they benefit the most people by having everyone be on their side.
>You're a newborn baby midget with no memories. You die of SIDS because you're too little.
Never ask for anything big, it's not at all interesting unless it's fucked with.

>The balls are inert.
It's been a while.

But it's still there!