How do you play a character that's edgy, but also fun?

How do you play a character that's edgy, but also fun?

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/926617266564743168
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Basically just don't annoy the other players, other than that do whatever you like.

I think reaper is a very successful fun edgy character. Goes overboard enough to be a parody but doesn't rub it in your face. Where the character design sometimes fails is when he's part of some story meant to be taken seriously, it just doesn't work.

Edgy in a story meant to be taken seriously is a just an Anti-Hero/Dark theme done poorly.

It's easy to make anything retarded and super silly.

Just don't mess with the other players at the table and it should be fine, I personally couldn't take an edgy character as as nothing but meta comic relief but it can still work

Why would you ever think Overwatch is meant to be taken seriously? It's G.I. Joe with robots.

Don't be the guy who sits in the dark corner of the tavern playing with knives. You want edgy? You gotta be a bit proactive with it. Ham it up a little. Have a catchphrase or a motive that never changes.
One of the big aspects of an edgy character is their worldview and expectations of other people. Akuma, edgelord supreme, bases his whole personality around his belief in self-worth and demonstration of strength. He doesn't like people who think they're hot shit or who avoid doing difficult things. Reaper pushes his nihilism onto everyone else around him and disdains those who don't agree.
Basically, make a viewpoint that the character holds everyone else to, that hardly anyone can live up to. Those that don't are weak, those that do are powerful and worthy of either alliance or destruction.

Deku is best boy

Friendly reminder that Hero Academia is a Naruto rip off

This guy.
Or falco.

hey, naruto would have been good if they didn't flub the fuck out of the execution.
But then, that can be said about almost all anime.
Shit starts great, then turns to a trashfire.

Remember how bleach was supposed to be japanese ghostbusters with swords?

This also applies to final fantasy 8.
How much better would that game have been if it stayed some kind of armored-core style mercenary game in a JRPG format?

You have to still have plenty of social interaction with player characters and NPCs, but flavor them as someone who doesn't speak much, or speaks their mind because they are too blunt to soften the truth.
There are a lot of edgy ways to behave without being ultraviolent, either.
Even if the character's backstory makes them a loner, they have to be invested in their group enough to come out of their shell when necessary.

I've wanted to play an edgy fedora-lord in Dungeons the Dragoning. A vampire drow that wears a trenchcoat and fedora for sun protection who hates women and thinks they're all whores but still calls them M'lady out of habit from living under them in the social hierarchy. Too bad I'm foreve DM Point is: edgy characters are fun if you make it a joke but still based in something.

realizing your character is edgy is a good start
then don't be a dick and don't take yourself too seriously

That's not edgy, that's mildly cringy parody.

I have a freind who likes to play those kinds of characters, his philosophy on them is basically "edgy in a way that becomes cute"

Think Reaper in Overwatch, or the entirety of Dark Messiah.

>How do you play a character that's edgy, but also fun?

Use the juxtaposition of his normal life with his edgy persona. The ultra cold assassin of X supernatural society? Yeah he has to call to his girlfriend to let her know he will be late for dinner tonight, and he cant keep his brooding 24/7.

Have characters react negatively (though not confrontative) to his Edgyness. Maybe once in a while a character make a wanking motion or roll his eyes when the edgy character get his edgyness on. Using anime as an example the problem of Sasuke as a character (or most edgy character in general) is that everyone takes him 100% seriously from being in love with him, to respect and/or fear him.

Have situations in which his personality is detriment to the situation. Have a scene that require social skill and have the PC watch him fail miserably in a comedic manner. Or have character socially outmaneuver him.

...No, that one’s 100% a matter of execution. You’re probably right, overall, but there’s potential there: a fedora drow is a surprisingly believable character because of the dysfunctional nature of the drow matriarchy.

“All women are whores” doesn’t work, though. “All women are conniving, backstabbing bitches incapable of real love or friendship” is much more plausible. The “vampire” bit isn’t doing that much work, either.

I do think BNHA is better but maybe it's just because I didn't like Naruto cast and setting

Pretty much this.

Edgy characters can be fun. Some of my favorite characters I've played were total edgelords, from a undead princess who murderously detested nobility, to a blackguard who decided his former goddess was an evil bitch. Just don't piss off the other players or disrupt the game.

And have a reason for your edge. Don't just do shit for the sake of edginess or shock value. Make it make sense. Undead princess hates nobility because her father was a tyrant and killed her former lover, who was a peasant. She's not going to murder some dude just because he looked at her funny, but she might murder a noble who's oppressing his people to make an example out of him.

Even if your character takes himself seriously, there's no one saying you have to take him seriously too. Make him a foil to the other characters. Ideally, when your worldviews clash, you should be the one exasperated at them, rather than them being horrified by you.

This. The contrast does wonders.

Take Reaper. You want to know something about Reaper? Reaper fucking loves The Last Starfighter enough to name his special move after it.

Go on. I want you to imagine Reaper sitting on a couch, watching The Last Starfighter. Does he just glower at the screen in mute enjoyment? Does he recite quotes in his gravelly voice? Does he make Widowmaker watch his cheesy scifi too, and does Sombra give him shit for it?

Its all great.

>Shadow the Hedge is more lovable in his edge now
twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/926617266564743168