/CofD/ & /wodg/ Chronicles of Darkness and World of Darkness General

Previous thread: >Pastebin:
pastebin.com/7HiVphFm
>News
kickstarter.com/projects/200664283/chronicles-of-darkness-dark-eras-2/posts/2018962
>This week's Monday Meeting Notes:
theonyxpath.com/whatever-happened-to-my-transylvania-twist-monday-meeting-notes/
>Question:
Which of the splats, for you, is the least thematically appropriate for WoD?
>5th edition cliffnotes
pastebin.com/cp0r59da
>New Deviant preview
theonyxpath.com/one-of-a-kind-deviant-the-renegades/

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/7HiVphFm
theonyxpath.com/whatever-happened-to-my-transylvania-twist-monday-meeting-notes/
pastebin.com/cp0r59da
theonyxpath.com/all-souls-day-preview-geist-the-sin-eaters/
forums.sufficientvelocity.com/threads/of-family-friends-and-hunting-original-story-set-in-the-new-world-of-darkness.42867/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Which of the splats, for you, is the least thematically appropriate for WoD?
Dreaming focuses way too much on pretty much playing children.

no magik

Would Hunter the Reckoning work for a Secret World style game? I want the players to have imbuings and stand a peg higher than normal humans but have to deal with overwhelming supernatural bullshit. Vigil from the sounds of it is a bit too low power for what I had in mind.

>Which of the splats, for you, is the least thematically appropriate for WoD?

I'd like to say Beast, but it's probably Dreaming.

I wish all of the Mage 2e art was as good as the picture in the OP.

While the art is exponentially better than 1e (and the colors and layout cannot even be compared), we're still stuck with ridiculous pieces like Swole Jawa Must Kill Batman and S&M Gay Pride Parade Free Council.

But we do love this!

before someone asks again for Beckett's Jyhad Diary

Indeed. Eyes Wide Shut Wizards could have been better if the mages were snorting magic coke off the ass of a stripper vampire. But given Dave's avoidance of crossover, all is forgiven.

Yes, Beckett's has been released into the wild, although there is a less cryptic link in the last thread.

Has the Changeling 2e Fiction Anthology been shared?

which one of the nwod megadrive links is better?

I really, really want to play a Cherion Corp game that starts my players off as an acquisition team, then reveals Cherion is a front for the SCP Foundation.

They're both good. You need to check both if you want everything.

>In light of some recent concerns about certain members of the community, I'd like to introduce our new sexual assault themed splatbook

>take scp-682
>dump in black spiral den
>laugh as it becomes someone elses problem.

>While the art is exceptionally better

Sometimes. The art for 1e was carefully themed and in theory it was great, though put gold to paper, it was hard on the eyes. The idea was sound and I loved it, and if it was executed better everyone would've. It was a lot more creative and evocative than the safer art in later books and the later edition. I understand in advance this is an unpopular opinion but no one has adequately convinced me otherwise. Hard to do when the art speaks for itself anyway.

thought that'd be the case

>682 is a maddened Father Wolf
>Can't kill him because he regenerates from everything
>Scared as shit he's going to break free one day and tear the world to shreds

>the art of Mage 1e speaks for itself

Sadly, this is true...

You guys always ignore the mirrored images, logos, and everything else. Just this bitch, Juan the furrlip and the thearch creepshow, as if on macro.

hot

Hey, ancillas and elders.

First time VtM DM here, I've a couple of questions about character creation, splitting dice pools and keeping the party together.

Firstly, is there a limit on how high you can have your attributes at chargen, sort of like you can't get above 3 points in talents/skills/knowledge without freebies?

Secondly, is attempting to take more than one action in a turn just suicide unless you have celerity?

Thirdly. How do you guys keep your party of selfish solitary predators together and working together without tearing each others' heads off? Is there like a generic formula for this?

Thanks in advance who can bother answering these!

>Firstly, is there a limit on how high you can have your attributes at chargen, sort of like you can't get above 3 points in talents/skills/knowledge without freebies?
Just the 5 that your attributes are capped at with their Generation background. I'm pretty sure you need to diablerize to get above that.

No limit beyond 5. You cannot take more than one action in a turn, celerity governs initiative: you get instant action, reflexive actions and movement action, though taking one can prevent taking another as stated in rules. Make your issue or conflict affect each of them personally in a way they can't immediately fix on their own and force them to acknowledge that they need each other to resolve it.

You're talking about Vampire the Masquerade, right? Not Vampire the Requirem?

All mages are assholes, right?

I already realized where I fucked up. Disregard everything but the last bit.

>Creepy, inscrutable Board becomes O5.
>Goal of capturing supernatural creatures and artifacts rather than killing them stays the same.
>Stakes for doing so go way, way higher. Unethical as shit and probably some Genius or Mastermind Slashers working on containment design, but unusually logical reasons for locking certain ones up.
>Becomes one of the lighter grey Conspiracies, like VASCU.
>Focused on Werewolves because they have the best ratio of high potential for rage and slaughter/ease of capture.

To varying degrees. At best they're smug know-it-alls whose interests happen to align with yours. At worst they'll ruin your life just to test a hypothesis.

Right!
How to buff Proximi? Without free primary spell factors they suck and nothing more.

Exactly. Perhaps let them access a single Yantra for their blessing, and get primarily factors equal to the blessing's dot rating.

They're not intended to compete with true mages, but they could easily be the center of a mortal chronicle.
>a mysterious cabal of flesh-eating witches living in the woods
>a noble lord of the castle who wants to lift the family curse
>a man in black who visits orphanages and retirement homes and eats people's souls
Then all those 1 dot spells will probably terrify people if played right. I'd use a proximus as a recurring bad guy in a mortal/hunter games, and that's basically it.

How do you make a leader who is also a member of the Adamantine Arrow? Isn't their whole thing not leading?

I thought their whole thing was about being Warrior Scholars and Generals. Just because you aren't 'in charge' doesn't mean you aren't leading.

Yeah I guess but they've got this whole "Service is Mastery" thing going on.

>and get primarily factors equal to the blessing's dot rating
Well, but then blessing costs less than 3 will become even more useless.

>>a mysterious cabal of flesh-eating witches living in the woods
>>a noble lord of the castle who wants to lift the family curse
>>a man in black who visits orphanages and retirement homes and eats people's souls
What the Dnd'ish shit?

what are the Proximi again?

You have 5 seconds to give 5 better ideas.

TIME'S UP.

They're like sorcerers of oMage. They have "blessings" (basically spells for merit dots, as far as I remember), 5 maximum mana, and a "curse" of some sort that makes their life difficult.

Which book should I read to get some info about oracles in Awakening?

Thought so.

I'm not trying to compare them with atlantic mages.

What are you comparing them with then? How can they suck if they're obviously above simple mortal characters.

And willpower rating instead of spellcasting dicepool.

>What are you comparing them with then?
Hunters (2&3 tiers), mortals with supernatural merits (Second Sight, Witchfinders, 2e variants), lesser templates (ghouls, alchemists), low lvl horrors&ephemera etc etc.

I was looking it up in case I got something wrong, and it's easier to just copy and paste it here.

Still don't get why you think they're shit. They should basically gain most of their dice pool from ritual/communal casting (as weak-ass sorcerers should), and can risk paradox to get instant spells.

>I'm not trying to compare them with atlantic mages.

>TFW Pacific mages get no love,,,

Nothing says they can't get supernatural merits while still having their blessings. I would argue they'd have a higher chance of getting telepathy and shit than simple mortals. They have magic in their blood after all, even if it's weak.

Remember to always meme or else your general is shit

>Secondly, is attempting to take more than one action in a turn just suicide unless you have celerity?
I'd recommend not using V20 rules for multiple actions. Celerity is OP as fuck if you use those rules.

Revised has a pretty good rule set and it affects nothing but nerfing Celerity and makes multiple actions less suicidal. You get a die penalty for the total actions you declare you wish to take, and a cumulative penalty for each action after the first.

>>TFW Pacific mages get no love,,,

>Flyover mage have it the worst.

>it's easier to just copy and paste it here
ERRATA ONE FREE REACH
>They should basically gain most of their dice pool from ritual/communal casting
But HOW? Remember, they don't have Yantras.

Does ritual casting count as yantra? I thought it's just +1 die per interval.

I just want to play a Geist that bros it out with a few mages as their Necromancer buddy.

Why is that so hard to do?

Nope as i know. I about communal (teamwork) part.

>Has the Changeling 2e Fiction Anthology been shared?

Not yet

Hey, is the House of Ariadne the only urban/city-based legacy?

Has anyone read the Changeling Fiction Anthology? Is it worth actually buying?

Is it hard? I find people are usually pretty receptive to having one odd-one-out party member from another splat.

Can't find anyone wanting to run a Mage game.

It's not surprising.

So I'm planning to run a game in 2003 New York.

What're some fun side-quests to do while you find yourself in a struggle between anarchs, cammies and the sabbat?

>Setting game in New York
>Not setting the start of the game in Late august / early September 2001
Why even set the game in new york?

yes

Because, uh.

Yeah I goofed there a little bit. Thanks for pointing it out, user.
Suddenly everything got a little better.

What game would you recommend to start with for someone who has never played anything in the franchise?
Is the newer editions worth anything or should i stick to the older stuff?

Vampire the Requiem.

That's fucking garbage, the whole game is full of cities. Why haven't the mages caught on?

>Is the newer editions worth anything or should i stick to the older stuff?
The new editions are more streamlined, but rely on a bit more system mastery for players than 1st edition NWoD did. (Outside of mage which pretty much requires system mastery)

Vampire or hunter are the easiest sell for new people. Everyone knows what a vampire is and hunters are just mortals who shoot monsters at the lower levels.

Ah. To be fair, I can't imagine that being anything other than a mage in a game of Mage would be that fun. Mismatched splat members are often interesting because they bring tools and perspectives that the main splat being run doesn't have access to. Like, prometheans aren't super powerful, but a straight up brick that can tank damage like a motherfucker and flip buses over isn't something a motley of changelings usually have access to.

Sin-Eaters bring pretty much nothing to that table that mages don't have already.

Fuck off fujoshi

use this for next thread

Previous thread: >>
>Pastebin:
pastebin.com/7HiVphFm
>News
>This week's Monday Meeting Notes:
>Question:

>5th edition cliffnotes
pastebin.com/cp0r59da
>New Geist preview
theonyxpath.com/all-souls-day-preview-geist-the-sin-eaters/

And that prevents them from hanging out with Mages?

Sure sounds like minmaxing talk, instead of "fun"

You do it

You're the thread bitch maker, are you not?

I don't think you know what minmaxing is.

I'm just saying their times to shine will likely be few and far between, unless the campaign is hyper-focused on the Underworld.

In the sense that even the most well-meaning ones will do morally reprehensible things for their goals every now and then and the not-well-meaning ones can be absolute monsters, yes.

I would say keep the Dark Eras table of contents in there.

Which version? I have always wanted to run an Ascension game - I dont think there's anothrr game like it out tbere.

He said he wanted to be a sin-eater so that's nWoD.

Man, I wish that were me.

I'll think I'll just leave this on each new general, if people don't mind.
forums.sufficientvelocity.com/threads/of-family-friends-and-hunting-original-story-set-in-the-new-world-of-darkness.42867/

Yeah, i don't see a reason why shouldn't work, but keep in mind, Hunter in OWOD is still the weakest splat, so the powers aren't very high tier.

They probably will mind. Go post it in the fan-content section of the Discord. Just google it. You're likely to get better reception there.

The vampire or the human?

>better reception
MAGEgaMagE

Geists are not push overs in terms of power mate.

They can easily keep up with mages, even with the 1e rules. They're pretty fucking good at their jobs.

Plus talking with the dead is useful.

would a game run with /CofD///wodg/ be fun? would any of you play? would any of you run? just curious who all of you play with and/or would play with.

Either, honestly.

>would a game run with /CofD///wodg/ be fun?

Nooooooooooooooooope

The Bound are tanky as fuck, literally immortal until they run out of Synergy, and better beat-sticks then 99% of non-Master Mages.

Really until you start getting until higher Gnosis and Arcana, a Sin-Eater could keep up with a party of Mages and not be completely overshadowed, as long as done of these Mages were specced in Death.

Seeing as the game I'm most interested in playing is Mage and 99% of magefags on here are insufferable tools who would make fun of me for not taking Gnosis 3 and not solving every single problem with magic, no.

none of these Mages*

>Also clarifying for autists, I am not saying a Sin-Eater is STRONGER then Mages, only that they wouldn't be overshadowed until the higher echelons of Mage power as long as no one steps on their expertise.

I can't wait for all the shitty arguments people are going to have once 2e geist is out because they'll be arguing about old rules that don't exist anymore and insisting things not in the book that were in 1e are still cannon for no reason. Like with vampire.

There is like at least 1 decent guy in here other than me, and even my decency is arguable.
Roleplaying, like relationship, takes trust and no offense fellas but mistrust is weaksauce for what I feel towards y'all.

>better beat-sticks then 99% of non-Adept Mages.

Fixed. Mastery is just icing.

Only true for Thyrsus. And even they don't have a convenient way of just noping back to life after being killed.