4e class suggestions

So I've been looking into D&D4E and was making a character and decided on a Half-Elf Warlock. When I looked online for a general consensus on the Star Pact Warlock and found out that the warlock is considered very bad and was wondering what makes it bad and what are other good options for being a magic blaster.

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/file/38pt0j437xwz8gl/4e LCB Complete Setup.zip
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

From what I remember they are mix of damage and control. This means they don't do as much damage as damage classes and don't do as much control as control classes. Therefore min-maxers hate them.

This is based on memory. My group played several 4e warlocks and had no problems

Nah, warlock is amazing. Minmaxers like warlock too. It got a ton of support.
The trick is that going CON/CHA is terrible. You need to pick one and have INT as your second highest stat.

>play 5e instead

This. Warlocks are fine but barring cheese builds (Evermeet anyone?) they aren't really high up the optimization chain. If someone told you warlocks were bad in 4e they either meant from a high-powered standpoint or they were referring to the warlock (binder) subclass, which gives up damage for more control, but still isn't very good at control.

Pretty much play whatever class you think is cool in 4e and you'll be fine. Only ones If recommend not touching as a new player are the non-essentials assassin and a single-classed vampire.

Not this. I've got nothing against 5e but the games are so radically different you can't really compare them.

Star Pact warlock is pretty powerful

Not in core, in core it's horribly MAD, but when you include splatbooks you can dedicate yourself entirely to either charisma or constitution with intelligence as your secondary, and you have some awesome feats and PPs available.

The thing about 4e is that there's no bad archetypes, the strength of your character is far more dependant on the powers you take

This

>warlock is considered very bad
Someone lied to you it's one of the best classes in the game. And half-elf is one of the best races so just max your primary stat, probably charisma, and you should be fine.

Warlocks are really good, not sure why anyone would tell you they are bad.

The only problem with star pact is that you can't get Mindbite Scorn until a lot later.

The only problem with the warlock is that the hybrids are more fun.

Almost everything in 4e is viable. The guides are written from a high optimisation standpoint, but as long as your group isn't going hard ton meta builds you can basically go whatever and be just fine.

The class guides are useful as a reference, if only to avoid the relatively few actually garbage tier options, but even the lower rated powers can still be perfectly fine to take and fun in play.

I dunno, entrancing mystic control lock is super fun without hybriding

This. It is really hard to be useless in 4e combat. Pick whatever is cool. I still rememorar Ikram, the fiend warlock warforged based on Tony Stark

Nice name

I fondly remember a Fey Pact Warlock I played in a game that sadly died. They were super fun though, teleporting all over the fucking place, laying down AoE's and debuffs and zones of difficult terrain. I really felt like this infuriating fey trickster, never in the same place one moment to the next, always just out of reach and punishing those who thought they could actually catch up with me.

Ideas for white well pact?

long night scion teleport-spammer

Also, take a multiclass to use a dagger as an implement and use a frost dagger to really embrace the winter court

I just really like hybriding with a defender. Eldritch Strike is just such a great punish, and you have great PPs to get into (not to mention things like crimson legion feats).

>Always loved playing 4th edition
>Favorite D&D system
>Everyone here plays 5e or Pathfinder
>If I wanted to play 4th edition, would have to DM myself

I just want to make cool hybrid builds and choose powers again.

There's still some groups floating around online, I'm in a few 4e games right now and I'm very thankful for it.

I'm also one of the idiots working on an attempt at a successor to the system, so we'll see how that goes.

Warlock|Paladin is just the best shit.

Hey Veeky Forums I'm running a 4e Eberron campaign right now. I want to introduce splatbooks for my players (currently we're just playing with PH, PH2, and EPG), but one of my players is playing an artificer, and I don't want him to be left out. Any suggestions?

Some classes have less support than others. It sucks, but it's the nature of the product. Maybe just be willing to homebrew extra stuff? A friend of mine made some extra Artificer powers for a game we were in.

Also, do you have CBLoader?

I do not have CBLoader, what is it?

The legacy character builder. An offline version of the original WotC 4e character builder app, fanpatched to have all the content available. It makes character creation and management really easy.

mediafire.com/file/38pt0j437xwz8gl/4e LCB Complete Setup.zip

If you have issues installing it let me know, it can be a bit finnicky.

Sadly, most artificer content post-EPG was only present in the various issues of Dragon, and even then, I don't think there were many. Artificer failed to make it into Arcane Power (I think it came out before Eberron) and there never was an Arcane Power 2, alas.

Damn, thanks for the help though.
Thanks for the link, I'll try getting it to work.

For online resources, funin.space is also great. It's a searchable online compendium of all 4e content.

This is actually super helpful. Thanks!