/btg/ BattleTech General

---------------------------------
These flaming tiger stripes completely help disguise us in the snow! Edition
The /btg/ is dead - long live the /btg/!

Old thread: ==================================

BattleTech video-game Beta gameplay
youtube.com/watch?v=rt6FatHHnzI

==================================

>BattleTech Introductory Info and PDFs
bg.battletech.com/?page_id=400

>Overview of the major factions?
bg.battletech.com/universe/great-houses/
bg.battletech.com/universe/the-clans/
bg.battletech.com/universe/other-powers/

>How do I find out which BattleMechs a faction has?
masterunitlist.info/

Unit Designing Softwares
>SSW Mech Designer
solarisskunkwerks.com/
>MegaMek Lab
megamek.info/
github.com/MegaMek

>/btg/ does a TRO:
builtforwar.blog(not spam)spot.com/

>How do I do this Against the Bot thing? (old)
pastebin.com/pE2f7TR5

2017-03-03 – (Against the Bot)
mediafire.com/file/kffatbm11ffus7l/Against_the_Bot_Instructions_v2-5.pdf

bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56065.0
Current 3.21 rule set is included in the mekhq package

>Map of /btg/ players (WIP):
zeemaps.com/map?group=1116217&add=1

>Rookie guides
pastebin.com/HZvGKuGx

>Sarna.net - BattleTech Wiki
sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page

>Megamek - computer version of BattleTech. Play with AI or other players
megamek.info/

>BattleTech IRC
#battletech on irc.rizon.net

>PDF Folders
mediafire.com/folder/sdckg6j645z4j/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/cj0tjpn9b3n1i/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/tw2m414o1j9uj/Battletech_Archives

/btg/'s own image board: - (2017-10-24 - Still getting worked on & now has 20208 pics! Any help with tagging appreciated!)
bgb.booru.org/index.php

More goodies! (Rare manuals, hex packs, TROs, discord servers, etc.) Last updated 2017-09-16!
pastebin.com/uFwvhVhE

Other urls found in this thread:

mechlivinglegends.net/
stats.spikx.net/mwll.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Who is best house?

>I need to read some sort of "how to design these for MWO" document if it exists.

The user who is able to basically design the same way as Alex said he mostly draws inspiration from Gundam and Halo design books (available on /t/). You can cleaarly see the main infuence is modern Gundam as stuff like the MLs before the variable geometry might as well have been traced off of there.
Obviously, you'll need to marry that with studying the way Alex draws his shit.

Purple birb is love, Purple birb is live. But best house is Avellar.

Calderon. Live free and/or die.

Reading the lore, mostly the later.

Once the Shraplen/junta comes around, yeah.

Liao, objectively. Free education, healthcare, people have to earn citizenship so scum aren't born with it.

Particulary, I like that size in mechs, but it seems to follow early BT lore of mechs being about 10 m tall.

Who need houses? Freedom or Death!

Okay that gives me an idea for a design challenge.

DESIGN CHALLENGE: - Take ANY mech you like, and redesign it so it looks silly or distinct solely based on the new weapons loadout you come up with.

I know someone a while back made a Battlemaster with four shoulder SRM-6s, and also a Wolverine with the same.

>mech you like, and redesign it so it looks silly or distinct solely based on the new weapons loadout you come up with.

Silly refit for an old Warhammer -6R, like in the pic.

I knew I had this somewhere. A Warhammer with dual SRM-6s and a Battlemaster-style laser layout. I don't think it's too great though.

I think this is that Battlemaster variant. I'd love to see the image of the classic unseen with quad SRMs on it's shoulders.

Is there any art of an urbie with arms?

Did a little dumpster-diving to get these.
All the advice user drawing FD-a-likes has shared with the people willing to try improving their mech drawing skills.

Speaking of, the guy has made quite a good number of impressive redesigns so whenever you don't have a MW:O version on hand, it's not a bad idea to ask people if they don't have the mech redone by him. It could save you a lot of effort.

Man, I suck at Mechwarrior Living Legends.

I've been curious about that one. Out of the old PC Mechwarriors, which one does it play like the most?

The idiots who let technology slip to the point that mankind's mastery of the stars was nearly lost? None of the above.

So what's the deal with this model? I've been seeing someone selling it on ebay for $25 but with no extra description. is it some kind of limited edition?

For those who haven't seen it. Here's his last collection of mechs, with names for identification.

>Black Python without tiny stick legs
>donotwant.png
Other than that though he's doing a great job.

Did that Marauder for a private fan commission. Wouldn't be kosher to share that around sadly.

Wasp was removed from shelves, Valk was canceled mid sculpt, and the rest pulled from IWM/CGL plans. So yeah, HG meddling.

>Shad sculpt v2, and your new catapult overlord.

RPE used to sell a number of old Mechforce UK special edition frankenmechs based on the magazine fan stuff. Like the Katayusha which was a Marauder with Longbow pods in the back and Archer arms. That Highlander is one of those, but I don't remember the MFUK name

IIRC, its a MFUK Claymore.

Nice, I don't care much for the old line art, I prefer the re-done mechs most time tha not, specially be fans. Shimmy and Iglesias (and others like bishop steiner or Plog)> Old art, but I can see why old grogs prefer the old ones.

>http
The arms of this Highlander were made for Mech Force UK. They are harder to get.

Thanks for the info, that helps get a little context.

You know I have slight suspicion that the DrawAnon was Flying Debris as that Piranha and the Nightstar look alot like the one he did for MWO.

FD uses a different drawing technique when he's drawing his mechs. He also participated in some community contests and such.

Being fucking new at drawing, I would be interested in the differences in technique and stuff like that, and to see those community contests. Basically I try to copy FD and Shimmy and well, its a disaster.

Is there such a thing as a good Kuritan mech or are they all paper tigers?

Jenner's okay.

I haven't played the old mechwarriors in aaaages, so I'm not sure how to answer that.
It's a little different than the old stuff cause you can also play as tanks, aerospace fighters and vtols in here. You can even run around as an elemental, but you don't exactly live long like that.

Anyway you should just try it. Most of the time there's people on one or so server and it's completely free nowadays, doesn't require any crysis stuff.
mechlivinglegends.net/

Who drew this?

Bishop Steiner.

You may actually be illiterate.

Also for anyone interested in MWLL, the server list is visible in the browser, so you can see when people are playing:
stats.spikx.net/mwll.html

Looks like there's two servers with people actually.
Shouldn't MWLL be in the OP copy pasta by the way?

Nah just impatient. I looked at the picture for 2 seconds before asking.

>so you can see when people are playing
Which is never.

Nonsense. I've been playing the game since the the 0.9 update released some weeks ago and I've almost always seen people on one server when I checked. Of course if you're not actually playing then you're not really helping with the playercount situation.

>would be interested in the differences in technique and stuff like that

Well, you can clearly see works first with thick, vague lines, takes the basic silhouette and starts adding junk to it until he gets to a decent point, then inks it and that's the final thing.

FD also uses the silhouette approach but he builds up everything from the silhouette itself (a single colored grey figure), no lines. He then starts carving out details by drawing in with lighter shades. When doing a quick sketch, he'd just take white and go to town like that.

Obviously, that's just the design phase. user here would take the inked drawing and start coloring it. No idea how FD goes about adding colors and stuff. Most likely redraws it from scratch.

FD's method is rather generic in on itself. You can look up the Mechwarrior featurette of making the designs for Pacific Rim and you'll see them doing just that.

I see, thanks user. I'm still in Loomis hell so I have long way to get something decent,
so anything I can pick its welcome.

Riddle me this:
Why can't mechs strafe?

They're usually the opposite of paper tigers. The typical Kuritan mech is tough and undergunned. It never attempts to look scary in the first place.

They do. Have you never heard of torso twist?

Why do they need to twist their torso to strafe?

Quadrupeds can

>Walking sideways
>Not having your torso pointed in a different direction to your feet

It's like I'm talking to a Vindicator pilot.

That's sidestepping.

Isn't that the same thing?
"Strafe - to move side ways"

One is 90 degrees separate to the other in locomotion even though both move in the same direction.

...What?
I don't think that's a coherent sentence... Is it?

>Any BT kanmusus out there?
Yes, actually. Proof that Jap BT are our friends, even if there aren't a lot of them.

tomoboshi is a cool dude

What the fuck is a kanmusu, and why the fuck did someone draw an anthropomorphized LCS Yggdrasil?

autism

>kanmusu
Shipgirl
>why the fuck did someone draw an anthropomorphized LCS Yggdrasil?
Because Jap BT is still composed of Japs, so everything must be cute girls.

It is.

Ah, that clears it up
Quads sidestep, Bipeds strafe. Got it.

>Jumpsail parasol

That's fucking GENIUS

The guy who did that drawing is Russian.
He may be a weeb, a kankore fan, but he's still Russian.

So I'm casting my own plastic Urban mechs to kit bash with. I'd like to make a tripod urbie but I'm not sure where to start. So while I wait for the plastic to cure anyone have experience or ideas how to go about such a task?

That shitty republic heavy tripod got a mini. Just use the lower torso off of that.

is this a wolverine
reseens confuse me

If nothing else works that's an option but I'm not quite ready to pay 17+ just to get those legs. I'm hoping that cutting apart two plastic urbies will work out.

Did the tripod Urbie get stated up on here at some point?

Also how much of a sin is it to make urbies that move 3/5/3 like the IIC rather than than the IS 2/3/2?

Yes. It goes like this.

Unseen- original 3020's models
Reseen- Project Phoenix 3060's models
Nuseen- redraws of 3020's models

That is a Nuseen Wolverine 6R.

>is this a wolverine
>reseens confuse me

Loses something without the ball-turret under the chin, doesn't it?

Yeah... Literally the only Nuseen by Shimmy that i do not like.
It NEEDS the chin turret. NEEDS IT.
I think i'd even use the New'ish primitive sculpt as a proxy for it.

I actually like the new model
>tfw all these years i thought the turret was the head and thought the wolverine was goofy as fuck because of it
i am a fucking moron

>under the chin
Problem is, that was the middle of the nose and not a chin. Now there's just a chopped gap between the head and the snout. A single panel restores the entire silhouette.

The ones that get exported to the FedCom are their best designs.

Otherwise, get used to being vastl undersinked, vastly oversinked, or having enough heat sinks but anaemic firepower.

Or MRMs, because fuck you.

not really, looks better

>HG meddling

le'sigh...such is our lot in life. The playthings of corporate giants.

As I have said earlier, I like the nuSeen Wolverine better than the old one as the damn chinturret is god damn ugly piece of hardware I am not going to miss.

Hopefully HG won't get their rights to Macross renewed in 2021. It would be justice but I'm not holding my breath.

HG will only keep their rights of Macross till 2021, that was confirmed earlier this year. They have pretty burned their bridges to the japanese licence holders by they own actions so they will most likely not get extensions to that.

There's no way in HELL they'll get a renewal.
Also, a court ruling says that they don't actually have any rights to the unseen, so we'll see how that goes in court next september

So will the unseen be coming back in their original form in 2021?

Because I gotta say the redesigns for the marauder and the warhammer ar ugly af.

That actually looks badass. Shame handhelds don't fit so well in stock Battlemechs, but with a forearm gun or something that'd be slick as hell.

did someone already make stats for this?

Shame it seems he's forsaken us for the MWO threads in Veeky Forums.

>Fatapult v2.0
Not sure how I feel about this.

That's a plain old Crusader 3R, dude.

I'd not been following the lawsuits all that closely so that's good to hear. Hope they get a proper Highlander burial in court.

I played a bit and I downed an atlas with my trusty elemental armor plus a elemental PPC thingie. Granted he seemed a newbie and it was very damaged already but eh. Plenty of fun, I flailed the first two games trying to understand, until the second I didn't even enter a vehicles. The potatoe of my pc barely can run it too.

Any fans of the Supernova here?

Has Inker done a Supernova drawing yet? I was going to ask but don't want to do a repeat.

I like it's look, and yes he has.

I like it, and nobody has requested it yet
I'll second your request

Woops, I'm an idiot, mixed up the Novacat with the Supernova.

Consider the request thirded.

Does he have a basis for picking mechwarriors to go along with them?

Inker, if you decide to draw the Supernova is it possible you could draw another Nova Cat warrior like this with it? I love the look.

All the clan mechs look like they have bad posture from fucking slouching in a chair for too long.

I feel like supernova pilot girl should be wearing heavy winter clothing

Age of battle armor supremacy is near...

i present the final solution to our mechish question

why?

ah, I am used to actually imagineing the srms are in the legs.

Quite fun to be an elemental warrior desu, you die at nearly everything, but you are the most annoying thing in the entire game.

As a joke.

It's cold out there