What's the optimal number of knives for your given rogue or scoundrel to have on their person...

What's the optimal number of knives for your given rogue or scoundrel to have on their person, and where should they be stored?

Yes. Everywhere.

One stabby knife, one knife in each boot, one on your belt, and a spare stabby knife.

>optimal number of knives
N*2, where N is the number of knives you can plausibly keep concealed on your person

>where should they be stored
All places. The world is your sheathe.

I don't know why I made this

The why doesn't matter. What matters is that it happened.

No More then 4. One should always be enough least you fall in a river and drown for the weight of all that metal

Good shit right here.

Wrong formula, it's actually N-1. N is the number of knives you have to carry to count as heavy plated.

more then people think you have

One cutting knife
One slicing knife
One dicing knife
One stabbing knife
One fencing knife
One flensing knife
One parrying knife
One throwing knife
One slitting knife
One shanking knife
One splitting knife
One gutting knife
One shivving knife
One pecking knife
And one cooking knife

This is the only correct answer.

>1 big dagger on the front of your belt
>1 small dagger on the back of your belt
>1 small dagger in your left boot
>1 big dagger in your right boot
>1 small dagger up your sleeve
>1 small dagger either swallowed or concealed [elsewhere], in case you get captured and stripped of all equipment

A wise man once said, "you can never have too many knives - unless they're pointed at you, and by people who don't like you much"

On the other hand I think he was once nearly drowned by the weight of a knife-heavy coat, but the point still stands

This actually seems reasonable, except for the part about keeping a dagger shoved up your ass.

We need more of these for every class.

You should also have a springloaded dagger blade at the front of your boot.

>Fucking Pinks

One in each boot by the ankle, one hidden under the insole of each boot, three light throwing knives strapped to each thigh and hidden under a flap of clothing, one large dagger or long knife hanging from a belt loop for the purpose of being super obvious. One tucked into armpit sheaths on each side. Belt pouch with at least ten more light throwing knives on alternate side of belt from obvious knife. One lightweight knife strapped to each bicep. One dagger on each wrist in a slip-sheathe. One small razorblade in a palm-sheath woven into the glove on the primary hand for use in cutting purse strings or emergency throat slitting.

28 total.

Don't forget to keep a flexible blade in your hatband

you're not shivving with a knife, you're shivving with a shiv

Oh, and get one of those belt swords

Also a sword-cane

>You should also have a springloaded dagger blade at the front of your boot.

A true getlemans weapon as it were

If you can't swim with four knives strapped to you, then you're a weak fucking faggot.

Mine is a chef so he carries like 10

You shank with a shiv.

Say one thing for Ferro Maljinn, say she's a fucking cold bitch

Got a collared shirt? Keep a razor blade or two in your collar.

what fucking knives would be so heavy that four or more would seriously impact your swimming? even a seriously sized knife (think bowie) would probably weigh around a pound at most. 4+ pounds and you can't swim?

you have no fucking business swimming let alone adventuring

This is Merisiel. She has nearly enough knives.

Nearly, but not quite. I can see 11, so I assume she has 22. That's not enough.

The trick with knives is ensuring you never find yourself in a tight spot without one available.

You want to start with a couple of obvious distraction knives that you can hand over to town guards when you need to look compliant. One big obvious knife on your hip and a brace of throwing daggers across your waist should do the trick.

Chances are if you're an adventurer of class mundane guards are going to be the least of your concerns. You'll want at least one nicely deniable distraction for divinations and wards, a cursed dagger of the 'must kill once drawn' variety can be good for this as failing to hand it over to the town guards can be played off as out of a desire to protect them.

Ideally once your 'holdout' cursed dagger has been removed from your person no further detection spells will be cast, in which case the miniature dagger you should have concealed as part of your pipe cleaning kit can be retrieved ready for use when the mage cancels his shrink spell.

Obviously if you feel the mundane guards look particularly competent it is only good form to hide further knives in your boots, bracers and hat to make them feel like they've contributed when they find them.

I'm and I wholeheartedly agree. Jesus, I can swim with 20 lbs strapped to me and I'm a fat fuck.

Enough that you could kill a man with hugging.

Don't forget a couple of wire saws in the lining of your clothing.

Don't forget your hat-knife!

french/chef
boning
paring
filet
bread/serrated
butcher/cleaver
carving

i can't imagine any chef needing more than those seven, and anything else would just be variations of the seven listed.

take the amount of knives your party thinks is reaasonable, and multiply that by the amount of individual hairs you can get from the average housecat. then multiply it by itself.

I don't actually know anything about cooking, I just thought it fit the setting because the french equivalent had a fighting style focused on using large knives

>your given rogue or scoundrel
None. He doesn't want the cops to have reason to arrest/detain him. Plus there is no room left to hide the knives with the lock picks shoved up his ass.

What do you do with a shank then?

You forgot the mugging knife.

Shink?

You shink with a snikt.

One more than anyone expects you to have.

As many as possible, in as many pockets and crevices as possible.

>not wearing so many knives that they function as armor.

shiggy diggy

I'd assert the optimal number is either two or four, depending on dual wielding proficiency and ease of concealment.

There is a maximum limit on how many knives you should carry. If you carry far many more than you need, you place yourself at risk of getting stabbed by your own knife in a struggle.

And snikt with a bub

I don't carry any, I just have pockets to the knife plane.

Maybe his character is Gilgamesh and his "throwing knifes" are like 600 pounds (and that's without the handles, that weight a couple hundred pounds also)

No specific number, just enough that if I swing my arms down, two knives will always slip out from my sleeves and into my palms, no matter how many times I throw them.

Underrated

The knife man carries no knives.
He wears garrotes in his shoe laces and a lead weighted amulet as a flail.
- The Knifeman Book 3 verse 6-7

N+1 Where N is the number of knives the nearest other rogue has. Always be the one with the last knife.

Never bring a knife to a crossbow fight.

That's why you always dip two feats into Improved Unarmed Strike and Deflect Arrows. If you can knife hand you always have two knives and Deflect Arrows turns crossbows into pointless toys.

What about the paring knife?

>Big knife on your belt on your front
>Small knife on the sheath of your big knife
>Small knife on your belt horizontally on your back
>Knife strapped to your arm in a way that lets you reach your other hand in your sleeve and draw it
>Knife strapped to each ankle
>Knife in your boot
>Knife built into your knife boot
>Knives strapped across your chest on a bandolier
>Knife always on your person with pic related enchanted on it
>Knife hidden away with a minor enchantment like "if dropped or thrown in water, this weapon always floats. If anything of 5 lbs or greater attempts to hold onto it from below it sinks" so the local diviner can feel good that he found a fancy magic dagger on you when it's just a shitty enchantment

Always have enough so that even when they think they've disarmed you, you can still arm everyone in your party

Can I give someone a good kniffing with my knife then?

>a magically weapon that can't be dispelled or found or fumbled, because taking the player's awesome-button away wold be mean >:-(
>4E is a narrative system the furries say
always makes me kek

Anyway, optimal number is two short swords, 3 knives.

Don't forget... You can store a stack of throwing knives in your anus.

>Optimal carry load
As many as stealthily possible.

>Where should they be stored?
In the other guy.

Fat fucks float easier, though.

Do you have folds that can you can hold knives in?

As many as you can because your gms and such never bother with carry weight or check yours because you're the rogue.

Or better; folds you can put small bags of holding into that you can fit even more knives into.