/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

Welcome to the D&D 5th Ed. General Discussion Thread

>Xanathar's Guide Table of Contents
web.archive.org/web/20171016180500/https://www.dndbeyond.com/members/BadEye/articles

>Forge Cleric - Xanathar's Guide
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/DnDXL2017_Forge.pdf

>Unearthed Arcana: Fiendish Options
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA_FiendishOptions.pdf

>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/...

Other urls found in this thread:

critrolestats.com/blog/2017/10/8/monster-analysis-vecna-the-ascended-part-1
giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?493824-Imperial-Knights
giantitp.com/comics/oots0629.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

what class from previous editions do you wish were back the most?

I personally miss the Crusader from ToB. It was a Paladin but way better at doing what Paladins were meant to do, and had a bunch of really cool stances so that enemies could not afford to ignore it and go straight for the squishies.

>no thread question
So how do you feel about the lack of Halfling heros who's names have gone down in the tomes of history or ancient treasures made by halfling hands

Good because it makes Halfling PC's rare and awesome.

>It was a Paladin but way better at doing what Paladins were meant to do
So it was that same class with obvious power creep? Sign me the fuck up.

Some LotR shit. I like it.

>Group is level 14, coming up to a key boss in our campaign
>After much discussion its agreed that we should try and keep going
>I now realize that means I will need a BBEG for a level 18-20 party

Oh god what the fuck do I do. Are there any examples other than Orcus/Tiamat?

it's accurate because halflings are sissies, even in the Hobbit. PLAY A DWARF!

It was a close quarters holy warrior which had sword magic and better defenses thanks to Steely Resolve, which could use maneuvers to damage opponents and heal himself. I'd say it's closer to a holy warrior than lol gish.

The strongheart halflings of the Forgotten Realms supposedly have some dwarven blood in them, giving them poison resistance, and they are suprisingly brave folk

Halflings don't exist in my setting.

There's very little that I feel isn't already covered. The biggest thing for me would probably be a Warlord, but even that could probably be accomplished by just swapping out the extra attacks past level 10 for an even bigger pool of dice to use maneuvers with. Maybe swap out the features for stuff from PDK instead.

Either way, 5e is pretty flexible in covering a lot of concepts. Even psionics feels like it can be done by just playing an arcane caster with the right spell selection.

Why not user, they are decent folk and pleasent to be around

Thanks user, wanted to ask my DM if I could go full Diablo Barbarian

These character concepts don't require a stat to be low to work, just talking with the DM before hand so he's on board.

Well, the lack of artifacts makes sense, since halflings aren't often travellers or craftsmen. Most often they make what they need for as long as they need it.

The lack of legendary figures is more notable, but honestly you only ever really need one or two anyway.

I'm working on converting the pathfinder's ToB classes into 5e, please look forward to it

Yes, halflings are really more the types to leave a legacy in more of a large family than in some silly artifact that will likely be lost in a couple hundred years

Too generic, there are parralel races to other races, but none are as written.

>generic
How can they be more generic than dwarves or elves
Almost all fantasy races have been done to death

Kraken and the Avatar of Kyoss are high tier things

Halflings make the best Rogues, and Halflings are one of the strongest PHB races.

It's an argument about rolling vs. point buy/arrays.

But yeah, they could work for anything.

Anything you want to do. Improvise. Rather than a single BBEG, you could pit them against someone far more resourceful than they are; a military leader who has various Paladin commanders who can whittle down the party and scout for them on griffons, a Necromancer who will not give them any rest by sending hordes of the undead upon every town where they dare sleep, making them feel guilty of stepping into every town, or the mommy of a dragon they have slain.

I like the dragon idea. Imagine a 1.000 year old being, with countless amounts of money and magic items. It will bribe its way into everything, find your PC's weaknesses, hire mercenary armies with gold and spellcasters to curse you, ally herself with their worst enemies, destroy any cities where the PCs dare sleep in, and make it clear why it has been so. Eventually, the mayors and Kings will get the message, and decide that between slaying a goddamn Ancient Dragon and not letting a bunch of hobos not sleep in their cities, they will make them sleep outside.

If they have any allied churches, make the dragon ally herself with their enemy cults or just burn everything they own to a crisp. Just destroy all their allies, to be on the safe side. Ensure anyone who could help the PCs is busy fighting off threats paid with the mama dragon's gold. She can send after them assassins, too.

In case it comes down to combat and they have OP spellcasters, remember spellcasters are nothing against an anti magic field, whereas a dragon? It's still a motherfucking dragon.

When a dragon is after your trail, you had better have a spell to leave to another plane for a long, long while.

I don't use dwarves or elves (as is) in my settings either.

But you rarely hear of the exploits of a good rogue outside of a thieves guild
I agree they are a pleasent folk and are good with hospitality

No matter how not as it, they've still been done to death

>you rarely hear of the exploits of a good rogue outside of a thieves guild
Well they could also be secret agents or something.

Yo, so, as a Circle of the Shepherd Druid, would you cast Conjure Animals at 5th level for more beasts, or would you cast Conjure Elemental?

You get 2 hp per hit die for your beasts, their attacks count as magical for overcoming resistance, and while in range of the spirit totem aura they recover hp equal to half your Druid level at the start of their turn. (ex: 5 hp)

On the other hand, CR 5 Elementals are very powerful.

I want to make an eldritch knight ranged crossbow guy with a castlevania style chain/whip that I can slash at people with and draw them in. Any ideas how I could make that a thing?

Powerful Archlich is always fun, and easy to asspull (Since you can just say the cultists were in some fuckoff area the PCs never had a reason to go to)

You could probably just copy/paste Mercer's Vecna and tweak it so its fresh

critrolestats.com/blog/2017/10/8/monster-analysis-vecna-the-ascended-part-1

(Also pictured if you dont want to give them clicks)

Break your concentration and elemental will fuck your ass up.
Conjure spells are broken, combat can't support 8 new actions out of nowhere.

A cabal of level 20 wizards, with all the pocket dimension backup clone, hallowed dimensionally anchored homes, and bullshit contingency spell trimmings.

depends on the situation. If fighting a solo foe, swarming it to death with many attackers is always a good option, whereas against many opponents having a CR 5 elemental can help clear up a lot of the clutter.

There's an UA Fighter Archetype called the Monster Slayer, it's not exactly a Gish but it's like what you might have in mind?

Try 16
I used to summon 16 elk all the time
I realized the DM didn't liek it and quit

Lightning Lure.

Hmm...that's tricky, mainly because you'd want dexterity for a crossbow/whip, but even if your DM let's you grapple people with a whip, that might need strength.

I would consider going for a Hand Crossbow, and then using Lightning Lure as your 'whip' to pull people close to you. Take Shocking Grasp/Booming Blade as a way to hit people you real in as well and it should work out.

There are halflings that perform great deeds, they are just humble about it.

But I rarely hear a tale of a halfling slaying an entire atmy by himself, no matter how humble it would go down in history

First for no GURPSfags and no victimniggers.

Imperial Knight from Warhammer 40K, created by JNAProductions at GitP: giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?493824-Imperial-Knights

This is not your BBEG. This is the tool that your BBEG uses. The BBEG can be more of the manipulator, preferably with Clone or True Resurrection, while that CR 44 monstrosity is a fight that they can truly build up to. It is the fight that they go to challenge, get absolutely crushed, then figure out how they can truly defeat it. Do they weaken it? Do they lead an army? How do you even fight something that big? After the first fight, be very clear with your players that this creature is something that will take entire chapters to deal with, not one fight.

Fool, you are going to draw them here

I look forward to crucifying you you piece of trash.

my dm has already allowed me to roll a strength based ranged character with the condition that I use the crossbow as my main weapon and get feats and such to support it, which in his words won't make it OP.
I was thinking a flavour around this too yeah.

>XGE is in people's hands
>No leaks yet

>Wake up.
>No Xanathars leaks.

Specifically it's one autist insisting that rolled characters are better because if you get all bad stats you make a memorable character and a bunch of other people trolling him for no good reason.

By "not as is" i mean "completely different race that just uses their stats"
Elves are literal plant people with high elves based on flowers, wood elves based on trees and dark elves based on mouss and fungus.

Meanwhile Dwarves are wierd religious mole/pangolin creatures.

;)

>trolling him for no good reason.
It's not trolling to say someone's stupid idea is stupid.

Lightning lure and thorn whip come to mind. Lightning lure is on your spell list, deals more damage, has shorter range, and has a strength saving throw. Thorn whip isn't on your spell list by default and has d6 instead of d8 damage, and is an attack roll instead of a throw. Unless your DM is the kind of person to let you put thorn whip on your spell list to make a concept work, just run lightning lure I guess, a feat for magic initiate to attack roll with wisdom on an EK is probably not worth the extra range and lack of save.

Yeah, but you gotta ask man. That or go to the library.

The "you have to roll or you aren't playing DnD" faggot was probably a GURPSfag anyway.

But it's obvious it's stupid, it's just feeding him (You)s.

Ok dude no one actually cares about this weird tangent you've been on for hours now or even really knows what you're talking about

What would a paladin maneuver be?

Smite

>you have to roll or you aren't playing DnD
It is that kind of logic that causes players to focus on murdering everything for xp.

Milestone XP saves roleplaying by sacrificing rollplaying.

Nah.

>Divine Punch Vacuum
Gain resistance to all mundane damage, but attacks have advantage against you.

Smite Twice

That could be interesting.

Would you say that a core element of what the paladin does is inspire others to the cause? To be an exemplar? Even for treachery paladins

A few ideas:

A blow that heals you after dealing damage.
An ability that lets you take an 11 because of the power of Law to any attack rolls.
Removing reactions from enemies.
A charge attack that allows you to ignore reactions from enemies and does extra damage.
A strike that lets you force an enemy to miss if you shield bash him.
A strike that heals you and your allies if you connect.
A maneuver that gives an ally an extra action as a bonus action for you.

WARLORD

Apparently you do. Did you break your punctuation keys trying to defend why your 8 Strength 10 Dex Kobold makes a good tank?

Still waiting for a martial art book with wuxia skill and rule on running on top of water.

That sounds gay. Maneuvers are a Fighter thing and Paladins are good enough already.

I have literally no idea what you're talking about and don't care. No one does, move past this.

Man, I remember when shitfits were contained to a single thread.

t. wizard player

How do we fix bladesingers??

Then why are you so insistent on it? Why do you keep replying? Do you think you're being clever?

i was planning on adding that. Also can't monks already run on water?

Ban them. There's nothing wrong with your fucking Bladesinger.

The Wizard equivalent would be this faggot here

Monks can already run on top of water user, but wuxia book'd be badass

Maneuvers should be a thing for all martial classes, would add a lot of flavor and variety

No, they cannot.

Improved Unarmored Movement
[...]

At 9th level, you gain the ability to move along vertical surfaces and across liquids on your turn without falling during the move. You must end the movement on a solid, upright surface or risk falling or sinking.

Hows this sound: the option to trade some of your prospective future spellcasting oomph for martial oomph.
Sound good so far?

giantitp.com/comics/oots0629.html

It begins a few strips back, but I think this is the one that best shows what a dragon would do.

My Dm told me that water isn't a liquid, it's a fluid.

He's a chemist, so I trust him.

Damn, nice.

lol your dm's an ass

It means you can walk on water like in martial arts movies, you can even toss a stick for flavor and surf on it

I liked the 4e Swordmage and 2e Inquisitor paladin kit. The Swordmage can be approximated with an EK/Abjurer multi well enough, but there's no dedicated magekiller like the Inquisitor yet.

What's the best support martial (Paladins don't count!) ? Cavalier and Ancestral Guardian can protect allies, Battle Master has maneuvers, Monks can stun...

Anything else? Stun is pretty strong but it can become boring if all you do is spamming stunning strike

Lol, it's both.

How about you fuck off and die, you're the worst type of player if you keep reposting your shit ideas every thread.

Bladesinger is already fine.

Gonna be joining an evil campaign. They currently have no casters (except for this wot4e monk/sorcerer multiclass retard) so I want to be a wizard. He's going to be someone who strongly believes that hard work pays off, and he sees Vecna as a role model and wishes to follow in his footsteps. What would be a good subclass to take for this guy?

Wolf Totem Barb. Awooo.

Long Death Monk for AoE Fearing is also good, Tranquility can support as well.

>roll for gender
>female
>roll for trinket
>tub of "Griffon Grease"
oh no

illusion wizard is the best if you're creative. Conjuration is pretty good if you're creative too.

Since everyone fucking hates Illusionists, go for that.

>Vecna
Why do people keep talking about fucking Vecna? Is there a Greyhawk setting out that no one told me about? Please say yes.

Because I'm tired of watching you flop around like a spastic on the back of the bus

Arcane Archer seems pretty good at support. So does Monster Hunter and Purple Knight, I'd have to look at all the archetypes for martials. Tranquility Monk is also good.

Here is a scenario and a villain I have been conceptualizing for an one shot?

A recent spree of low level mobs wrecking havoc in the frontier outskirts has attracted lowlife looking to profit from the misery of the area by starting a sellsword guild who specializes in removing specific types of lowlife mobs like kolbolds and goblins. With a good track record at their level they have expanded their operation to con man work by saving women who end up as prisoners of said mobs wherever they be inexperienced adventurers or pros who got unlucky or the local town's women. Typical crimes include looting of the dead, drunken misdimeanors and partying too hard in the outskirts of town. T

The enemy party consist of their three big hitters, the head is a notorious thief with a silver tongue and eye for the finest women, the healer/mage who patches up the team and any living victim they find so they are indebted to them and the muscle who handles a majority of the violence involved with ag giant mace called "The rat smasher" and and crossbow called "Headhunta" with explosive arrows.

What would be some weaknesses and strengths this party would have in both psychological and physical threats?

Conjuration is pretty fun, not the greatest though. The new summoning demon spells in XGE might be good though. Edwin from BG is a good evil character to look at, he is a dick and boastful but only to the degree where he can back that up with actual skill.

Enchanter has always been the most evil Wizard in my mind, sure a Necromancer can raise the dead, this guy's seizing control of the living though. Also the subclass is really strong all around.

Play a valor bard or multiclass instead.

they're all in it for the money
they're ruthless

A fluid is a liquid or a gas.
You can't run across steam RAW but you could run across a lake.

Spellthief could be a rogue archetype
Duskblade (ek is good but no channel spell through weapon)
Dragon shaman
Hexblade

>Why do people keep talking about fucking Vecna?
Critical role. Vecna was the final BBEG.