Sup Veeky Forums

Sup Veeky Forums,
I really wish there was more traditional games depicted in media but right now the best we've got so far, as far as I can tell, is Harmonquest (not counting yugioh - different discussion, let's not get into that). All in all not terrible, but still, here's me ripping on it just because...

Part 1 of rip:
-the big bad, the manticore, has a lower challenge rating than a nymph and isn’t even from another plane of existence (gm says manticore is from hell but it’s just a plain magical beast – luckily the gm seems to throw in some nerfed balors to attack the party in hell which is cool, but one is killed by a goblin with a non-magical spear [balors have damage reduction] which is super lame)
-nobody asks the dragon to read their draconic scroll to get out of hell
-said dragon is blue but somehow good instead of evil (all chromatic dragons are evil)
-nobody ever gains levels or experience or feats, or gets higher skill bonuses (the ranger does however occasionally make two attacks on his turn during combat which may mean they’re just not including this in the show – but again I don’t think you ever see their skills go up and they never use feats)
-the gm calls a troglodyte a kobold even though they constantly refer to it being reptilian/dragonlike (kobolds are small furry creatures, although both can be found in caves)

Other urls found in this thread:

imdb.com/title/tt0485909/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_74
ovguide.com/gamers-the-movie-9202a8c04000641f8000000006bccaa8
youtube.com/watch?v=46U2tkP72UE
youtube.com/watch?v=DOgtY7vMeDo
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Part 2 of rip:
-their goblin rogue has telekinesis but never multiclassed into spellcasting
-zubag (dan harmon) is apparently a ranger but he never uses any of his spells or abilities (including healing!?!?) nor does he ever have a favored enemy – he also doesn’t really care about nature or animals or anything ranger related except using both a sword and bow
-nobody in their party heals despite having a ranger in their party and they let the barbarian who can’t even identify potions control the disturbing of the few healing potions they do have
-their one shot villains and guest characters are often higher level than the manticore they’re supposed to be fighting at the end of season 1
-the manticore’s big bad lieutenant Vortheon gets the three crystals he needs to open the portal to hell at the beginning of the first adventure but doesn’t bother opening the portal until the heroes have broken into his hideout after traveling across the lands between their home and the hideout making all kinds of noise along the way… and because of this Vortheon has to kill himself to open the portal to – and get this – release a manticore who is less powerful than himself – so what was the fucking point!?

edit: distributing* - not "disturbing"

other good examples of Veeky Forums in media:

-curse of the dragon god (minus the cringy acting)
-book of vile darkness (love this movie)
-overlord anime (overlord abridged is amazing too - although more based on an MMO it definitely serves as good reference)
-spice and wolf (because not enough campaigns take into account economics and politics - even though pretty much every high level character could rule a nation and topple almost any economy)
-record of lodoss war (wish there was more of this show)
-south park black friday trilogy (wish they'd gone more into classes and spells and whatnot, but still a good adventure)

any others?
like I said, pickings are slim

The Gamers. But it's pretty shitty.

JourneyQuest. Technically not traditional games but is a fairly self-aware low budget fantasy series.

oh shit! there was also that other low budget movie like The Gamers but it was about a group of players breaking the world record for longest campaign - and they end up getting dosed with acid because their competitors (a group of players who are corn farmers in Iowa) send them a basket of laced corn

that movie is amazing but I can't remember the name
>after a second of thinking I remembered one of the actors and found it on imdb
>imdb.com/title/tt0485909/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_74

Most of these points sound like they can be explained by either you having specific ideas about monsters that aren't really consistent with their representation or a very strict adherence to their stat blocks (which are really more a recommendation in the first place), or them playing 5e and you thinking it's something else, but I don't really know the context of what you're even talking about

also thanks, watching journey quest right now
so far so good

I'm basing my statements on monsters on the D&D monster manual and statements on classes and spells on 3.0/3.5 (4e and 5e I disregard entirely)
After doing some more research though I'm pretty sure they're using pathfinder - which still uses the same monster stats and class progressions for the most part - so it's still all accurate

not sure where you got "ideas about monsters that aren't really consistent with their representation" - or "very strict" adherence to stats. you mean THEIR STATS?
the 'suggestion' is based on hit dice which you can modify to make the monster easier or harder. that's why they give you more power/less powerful versions of some monsters so you can choose from tiers (e.g. young wyrmling dragons vs adult dragons vs. old wyrm dragons, etc. - or the different types of celestials - or demons - etc.)

and you can see Vortheon in the adventure use a few high class sorcerer/wizard spells (even though he's wearing plate armor) which indicate that he's much higher than lvl 4 or 5 (pretty sure the manticore's CR is 5)
>yup, it's 5
>nymph is CR 6

also, what is inconsistent about any of my statements?

are blue dragons not chromatic?
are chromatic dragons not evil?
do balors not have damage reduction?
>yup, they do. it's 30/+3 - and they have Spell Resistance 28
do rangers not get a favored enemy?
do rangers not get spells starting at level 4?
do rangers not get a healing spell when their caster level is 2?

even more context:

their barbarian does not have any skill bonuses that would allow her to identify potions - it's stated in the show when she gets a bunch of potions and tries to identify them (the rogue however can identify magic items and does several times - but the party doesn't give either him or the ranger the potions to distribute)

finally found a link to watch Gamers (2006)

ovguide.com/gamers-the-movie-9202a8c04000641f8000000006bccaa8

just scroll down and the video will load

>ovguide.com/gamers-the-movie-9202a8c04000641f8000000006bccaa8

the second gamers is better in most every way.

naw, their campaign is super cringy - and so is the acting

gamer is funnier, has better acting, and better characters
>also better music

meh, its all subjective. i like the second one better personally.

either way I'm still enjoying journey quest, but man do they say 'sodding' waaay too much

latest harmonquest episode

youtube.com/watch?v=46U2tkP72UE

>it'll probably get taken down soon but for now it's up

This episode felt weird, like they were all phoning it in.

Give and take.

If it becomes more media-relevant, yes, we will have more to see.

Problem: if it becomes more media relevant, hordes of inexperienced players who aren't interested in the game for any reason other than "it's popular" will show up.

playing traditional games is more fun than watching.

I totally agree

and you can see spencer is surprised by the damage so I'm not sure what he has planned. seems weird that he would plan on killing them but be surprised about the damage

feels sad with all the work the animators put in and the fact that the main cast has committed to the story pretty hard which definitely makes it enjoyable aside from the game mechanics
>although some of the guest characters have been amazing - see patton oswalt, aubrey plaza, and the guy from my OP pic Telfanto? (forget the comedian's name)

a good campaign with competent players would be very entertaining to watch, especially if it was animated

Get this: GMs at home can do whatever they fucking want with the game. Nobody gives a fuck about the precise representation of the rules, especially not the rules of fucking 3.x. there is literally no value in adhering to the books when you are playing in a show that needs a narrative of sorts. Also, 3.x is definitely not the ultimate authority on how fantasy stories work. So stop being autistic and enjoy things.

You autistic?

They use Pathfinder. But yeah op is a moron for not realising DMs can, you know, change fluff snd stats in their own world.

as stated, I do enjoy it - but come on, 3.x is pretty much the standard for D&D. 4e and 5e are bastard stepchildren (which is why pathfinder is pretty much 3.5 with different art)

and yeah, obviously GM's can world build but it doesn't seem like there's a whole lot of that going on in this campaign - so it seems weird when everything else is standard D&D but then there are things like a good blue dragon and a goblin who has telekinesis but no caster levels (or a ranger that doesn't heal, have a preferred enemy, or does anything ranger-like except use a sword and bow)

and keep in mind too - nobody else in their party can heal so the only option for them in their ranger
and the fact that nobody in their party can heal is pointed out in the campaign (on several occasions - like whenever they need to heal)
>except when their barbarian gets a healing amulet

Your taking it a bit serious user. If you want truly shit representation check out the big bang theory.

and furthermore - the GM DOESN'T change the stats!
the manticore is just a basic manticore and goes down super easy (doesn't display much magic if I remember correctly) whereas Vortheon displays high level magic and only dies because he kills himself despite every single member of the party hitting him for decent damage (although his combat spells seem to be pretty lacking which is weird - maybe he just used up most of his spells for that day before the fight)

oh fuck that show

also keep in mind, I'm not saying spencer isn't a creative GM or that the campaign isn't entertaining - I'm just saying that personally it would be more entertaining for me if more happened with the characters (e.g. them actually using their available class abilities)
>to her credit the barbarian uses berzerker rage every chance she gets - but she could definitely use more feats

Seriously though - why did nobody think to ask the dragon to read their draconic scroll!?

Absolutely undisputably the best geek movie material here: youtube.com/watch?v=DOgtY7vMeDo

stupid peasants don't play GURPS
yeah, no

t. Butthurt Discordiafag

butthurt over what? that GURPS is better than D&D? not sure how I can be butthurt over that

Butthurt caused from sitting on your ass for so many hours to figure out how to best CharOP your character so as not piss of your GM but still be subtly overpowered.
Or from trying to use earlier editions vehicle rules.

have you ever actually played GURPS?
it sounds like you've only heard a D&D player describe it

>t. butthurt semen-SLURPS fag
The general is exactly like described.

are you just stringing random words together?

>3.x is pretty much the standard for D&D

Fuck off.