How to play an chaotic evil character and not piss off your group:

How to play an chaotic evil character and not piss off your group:

>1) You play a nice person.
>2) You're so nice that you learn all about your fellow adventurers. Their aspirations, their goals, the things they wish to accomplish.
>3) You are so nice that them achieving their goals is now your goals. They are YOUR BEST FRIENDS.
>4) You will deceive, cheat, rob and kill anyone who gets in the way of YOUR BEST FRIENDS' goals.
>5) Anyone.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misery_(novel)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

...so, Yandere?

Yes.

I dont see a problem with this, there is nothing preventing evil characters from having friends.
My current CG bard is trying to befriend a LE warlock, and it is going pretty well.

>1. Make sure your interests align with those of the group
>2. Have a reason for why you generally view the group prospering as a good thing (It could be because they help you not die, or because you honestly are friends with them despite alignment differences, or something else)
>3. Don't do crazy shit that directly antagonizes group members, at least if they'll find out about it
>4. Don't steal from the group, attack the group, or otherwise take hostile action against the group
>5. If there is an IC disagreement, talk it out IC like an adult, see if there's a reasonable comprise for your character to stick with the party.

You can be CE and still be a team-player.

exactly. What's the point in being evil if you don't have people to witness your evil?

After all, being evil is the same as being good. You're doing it because you're making the world a better place.

Well. Better for SOMEBODY.

are you retarded?
being evil doesnt mean you cant have people you care about, and actively try to better their lives.

I think you need to read my post again, and this time you need to not assume I'm being sarcastic.

>What's the point in being evil if you don't have people to witness your evil?
comes across as pretty sarcastic.

>implying
have you ever noticed how very few villains are a solo act? They always have an entourage, presumably who they're trying to impress with their evil.

Not the original guy, but here is my 5 cents on it:
Well, you could certainly have a villain who's entire purpose is to impress someone with their evil acts; but most of the time villains practice evil for a greater purpose, like ruling the world, creating an empire, destroying the world etc.
Most of these villains use evil as a means to an end. That is what makes them evil, as they are not above resorting to morally retarded methods to achieve their goals. (The morality of their end goal is also a factor, of course.)
So, in short, you could have villains who conduct their evil deeds secretly, and appear good on the surface. These villains make sure there are no witnesses to their evil deeds, as to not attract any unwanted attention to their cause. So, some villains actually can have the motivation to hide their evil.
And lastly, there is a difference between evil characters and villains. An evil character is just evil, thats it. A villain, on the other hand, is an evil character who is also an antagonist to the protagonist, or to the party. So technically speaking, an evil PC doesn't have to be a villain. They can just be an evil PC.

vil·lain
ˈvilən/
noun
noun: villain; plural noun: villains

(in a film, novel, or play) a character whose evil actions or motives are important to the plot.

>a character whose evil actions or motives are important to the plot
Exactly.
Not just any evil character, but one that is actually involved in the plot, most likely in an antagonistic way.

All villains are evil, but not all evils are villains.

no one said it had to be antagonistic.

Kratos is villainous as fuck and he's the protagonist.

Play CE
>Pay for some gear and steal the rest
Too chaotic to be unlawful
Too evil to just steal

1) Your friends are your life. If your friends are down, you are down.
2) COcaAine should be mixed into their meals if they are feeling depresssssed.
4) You do not have cooacaaIN. You have cocogogo bars.
5) If they are afeelinga stressedd out, you hsould administer some opium to rlelax them.
6) It's not murder if you can get someone who doesn't like your group to attack first. It's self defense.
7) If you're friend is stuck, its OK to amputate. Every tiem. There is no alternative solution at hand. Not only will they be free, but they'll be even more dependent on you.

how I would do it

The character is impulsive, easily manipulated, playful, petty, cares little about rules, and its perfectly OK with using violence to achieve their goals, but they know who their friends and lovers are

wait that describes most murderhobo PCs...

Holy shit this is terrifying.

Too bad I only play people who are really good, so they would probably be like Batman against the yandere Joker you just described.

My latest character, should he find out someone is like that in his group, would immediately tell him to change his ways, before he does so himself. By going away.

So basically it's sneaking chemicals so my party forms a drug dependence then acting as pathologically helpful as possible so that they need me. Then reducing them to stumps so I can be with them all the time.

Have you read/seen Misery?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misery_(novel)

I read the summary of it.

But that Chaotic Evil character wouldn't really fit in a party.

It's the same overall strategy, the difference is how many targets and the initial covert process. You just need to sneak some stuff into their breakfast, cofee/teas, desert. Maybe french toast.

Every time they want something to eat, you cook. Maybe let one of the others cook... Which would result in withdrawal from lack of drugs in the food. This bad? No. It only gets two points across:

1) The cook (not you) is a bad cook with poor taste and the party suffered food poisoning because of it.
2) You are the best cook.

When a party member gets seriously injured, you can be overt with the opiates. This is to establish you as the medical type and reliable person. Then you can be a little more open with the coke.

The big problem with the plan is the amount of drugs it would take to keep the operation up for an entire party. Maybe one or two people.

90% of humans are TN. A CE character that is not a sociopath is not really CE but more TN leaning CE.

By being a total fucking woobie

There is only one flaw in your plan. My wimpy bash-mutant's skulls in self-defense Peasant character is the party cook. So that role is already taken.

And if he catches the evil party member in the act, he will tell them to cut it out.

Calm down there dr. Rockso

You can't.
Most parties are Good or Neutral (maybe LE) but most games are run with you being the "Heroes".
A lot of "Villain" games turn into random murder-rape sprees so not many GMs want to run them.
Even if you are good to them, you are still acting like a sack of shit and any "good" party would put your rabid ass down.

What if it is a chaotic run ala Megaten Final, where you sacrifice your friends right at the end, and take one of them to become a goddess(male) by your side?

The whole 'evil person makes a great friend' is good to play. Like people forget that an evil person can enjoy the company of others and from deriving enjoyment from their company that they'd actually be firm friends for as long as that enjoyment persists. I did it for my last PF char that was Chaotic Evil. They didn't give a fuck about what was at stake but their friends did so by extension they also cared. Their favourite thing in life was spending time around the people they adventured round with and nothing else mattered. Absolutely nothing. They'd allow the world to be swallowed by the Abyss as long as they could be with their friends and adventure round for all eternity.

I play a character somewhat in line with the OP.

It's in a sci fi campaign, I play a japanese character named Shinji Gamila Nijimura (Die, beautiful women of the west) who is legitimatley a psychopath.

But he knows hes a psychopath, and he's aware of what the urges are, so he tries to funnel them into being constructive. Once he was in a gang, then when he left prison on good behaviour he became a hit man (Its a profession not a mental disorder), then when his country was taken over he became a revolutionary. Not because he cared but because hear he could kill and kill and kill until the voices went quiet and the burning was finally sated in blood.

All for one reason. He was a stage actor, and an artist, and had people he very much cared about. Specifically the party dread, who was a stage actor who became a SNL host, who was the nearest thing he had to a lover ("Non romantic life partners.") and he never wanted his urges and his darker side leaking out and letting on to them, he didn't want him knowing that he had this darker side he did his best to control, in fact he took up painting to try and channel it as well. And changing his own views on death helped him control it as well. It's all because he doesn't want to ruin things for those he cares for, he never wants to hurt them because hes broken inside.

Honestly, that's the best sounding one of the thread. Good job user.

This. The morality of your comrades is commendable. It may, in fact, be the reason you like them so much. You may even think it makes them better people than you. But let's face it, the world is a nasty place, and as beautiful as their moral code may be, it's not always realistic. Keeping their word, showing enemies mercy, and putting themselves at a disadvantage because they refuse to resort to poison or assassination is eventually going to get them killed. And that's where you come in. Somebody has to make the hard choices--to do the dirty work--and in a group of respectable people with admirable character, that falls to you. Whether you view them as naive or just too good for the ugly world you live in, you are quite fond of them, and will do what you can to protect them (sometimes from themselves).

you are wrong and also dumb. CE doesn't require sociopathy any more than LG requires piety. Being Chaotic only requires that you prefer freedom to obedience, and Evil requires that you harm others in the pursuit of your goals.

most murderhobo PCs are evil

>"Hey guys im chaotic evil but some times I'm an alright guy".
Thats not how it works user. If some one is chaotic MOST of the time they are chaotic. Same for evil. So some one who is chaotic evil is almost always evil and chaotic. The alignments out side of neutrals are extremes.

That's lawful neutral, though. You have a strict code of beliefs (do anything for my friends) and while you perform malicious (read: evil) acts, you're doing it to be selfless (read: good), thus neutrality. Lawful evil at worst, if you think intent doesn't matter.

by your logic everyone is Lawful Neutral

Most people yes.
Can you explain how I'm wrong?

You're full of shit.

Robin Hood is the character who is the Chaotic Good archetype, and he definitely has a strict code of beliefs.

Chaos has nothing to do with not having a code of beliefs.

Most people are TN. Most people will break the law if they can get away way with it and have very little sence of honor.
Thats a strong sence of good and evil not so much a code. Robin hood was pretty underhanded.

>Most people will break the law if they can get away way with it
Sure, people pirate shit all the time, go over the speed limit that sort of thing. But that fact that most places have governments and low/dropping crime rates shows a general Lawful trend.

Thats goverments being able to enforce laws better. It's naive to think most people won't because they feel moraly obligated to uphold order oppose to fearing the consequences if they don't.

If everyone was as anarchistic as you seem to be implying, why would we ever allow governments to exist in the first place?

Then you have an interesting GM and some very annoyed players.
Most people nowadays can't stomach their precious characters dying and view it as the GM "targeting them".
They then post on /r/dnd or Veeky Forums to complain.

why do actual anarchists allow governemnts to exist? Because the governments neccesarilly exercise a monopoly on violence.

You don't understand what half the words you're saying mean. Also, you need to be 18 to post on Veeky Forums.

And why did people form those governments and let them gain that power, since people dislike authority so much?

People dislike being controlled by authority. People tend to like being the authority and controlling others, it seems like.

Thanks, user. I actually based the character off of someone I knew. They were a piece of shit and had spent some time in prison for numerous petty offences despite coming from a relatively well adjusted family. They'd be the first to admit this. They spent time ripping people off and even mugged a few people (supposedly) but ultimately I never had issues. with them. To me they'd always been my friend and (I guess maybe they may have used me like a chump without my knowing) they'd never been anything different. We had some real laughs, drank together and helped each other despite the fact that they weren't even typically what you'd say is a good person. Still though, I know we enjoyed each others company and that was it. Nothing more than that. It's been 6 years now since we've spoke, but honestly despite his problems I hope my friend is okay.

It's funny because I know they'd probably go to the wire for me way back when. Not out of a sense of loyalty in a typical sense but probably because we absolutely loved spending time together. To me there's a separation from what someone is willing to do from what you'd define as 'good' and 'neutral' compared to 'evil'. When I played my game, I had a Cleric who was good and righteous and a Dwarf fighter type who was driven by a lust for money, but to my character it was about being with one another and nothing else. Just like my friend. My character understood being driven by cause or self -profit but never really agreed with it totally. They appreciated it because that was the drive of the friends they shared so many good times with, I guess in a similar way I did with mine.

They didn't use me, try to bring to into a particular group or cause (for better or worse). We stuck round each other for each others sake. Just to enjoy each others company. Anyway, I hope that piece of shit is still alive out there. The person who I spent so many nights just chatting to. My friend.

>Be really good friends with the party
>Be chaotic evil
>Yandere optional but reccomended
>Make sure the group are your friends OOC and you talk out how you wanna play your character
>Good friends make compromises. So you can arbitrarily backstab people and murder innocents when they piss you off. Meanwhile you don't fuck with them when they want to rescue the orphans or uphold their righteous oaths at the expense of taking the hard way out.
>When problems arise, just talk it out OOC like adults.

I play CE characters all of the time, it's really easy.

>People dislike being controlled by authority.
libertarian here

no, they don't. People fucking love being controlled by authority. There is nothing more relaxing in the mind of the average man than to be utterly free of the responsibility to think for themselves.

They prefer to shut their brains off and follow orders.

I'm playing a character in an upcoming game.
>Both me an another player pick a story trait for our backstory
>Random player we recruited for roll20 also took same trait
>We're same race so we decide it'll be easy to be siblings
>Sister runs off into the night and leaves a note asking us to forget about her.
>seems suspicious
>I'm going to be calling fiends, taking souls from defeated foes and creating undead in pursuit of this goal
>Will actively avoid wanton slaughter, murder and suffering,
Is this character evil? The brother is going to be a paladin, but he's going to be a dumbass and stated that he'll probably take me at face value and probably ignore the army of shambling corpses behind us, or maybe look the other way because he's my brother.

while technically CN on paper the gnoll i'm playing does pretty much this. shes loyal to her friends and is (almost) always willing to lend a hand. she was raised for the majority of her life by a human so shes defiantly not your typical gnoll. even still, she IS a monster deep down. she just only unleashed her monstrous habits and urges on enemies of her friends.
examples include
biting the thumb off an uncooperative cultist and eating it in front of it to get him to spill the beans.
murdering the everloving shit out of some robbers, then eating them (just not in front of the party)
brutalizing people for fairly low grade crimes in "her territory", cut someones purse? that's a beating within an inch of your life and a trip to the dungeon.

but when she's not doing those sorts of things she's pretty nice. she wanted to get into a 5 star restaurant so she asked the elven warlock chick to teach her nice table manners and help her pick out nice clothing for the event. the drow priestess of the mother of monsters (predictably) loves spiders, so whenever she sees a weird spider she catches it in a jar for her. she makes sure no one steals from her "papa's" market stall or gives him any trouble while he's barding about. she even pseudo adopted a little girl after rescuing her from a loan shark and is now teaching her how to hunt and track. she blazed a path of destruction when the girl went missing last session amid a surprise zombie invasion to find the girl when she ran off to "be a her and help people" and almost got herself killed.

she may be a monster who's fine with doing awful things to people but that doesn't make her unlikable or a one dimensional murderdog. in fact it seems to make the nice things she does all the more impactful, because they're unexpected.

this but you have to present them the illusion of being in charge, otherwise they get uppity.

Hence: Democracy

>How to play a chaotic evil character
1) Don't.
2) Fucking don't, you shithead.