Normies. How have they ruined your hobby?

Normies. How have they ruined your hobby?

They brought their girlfriend over.

Tell me, normalfag.

I posted a shit thread on your board.

They didn't, they actually made it better.

I've been DMing for 13 years now, and these past few years i started introducing peoples to D&D (gotta start somewhere). It's amazing how normies can be drawn into the game, i don't want to shit on veteran players, but my experiences with normies are far less jaded and more enjoyable.
But i guess that's just the discovery factor.

On the other hand, normies tend to have the edgy problem far more than my long time players, never mention drows to your normies group or you'll end up with a party of drow rogues.

Trick question. No one really plays tabletop games in Veeky Forums.

my hobby is roleplaying as somebody who plays roleplaying games

normies don't affect me

The more you obsess over how the dastardly normies have ruined everything by coming and enjoying themselves without having suffered enough social rejection to have 'earned' it, and the more you obsess over how pure and noble and hipster you are and how you were playing before it was cool and how 'casual' all these new players are and how they don't know literally everything you know, as if you never learned anything or made a mistake in your life, the more likely you are to be the kind of stuck up, whiny self-obsessed That Guy who actually does ruin our hobbies.

They haven't. Don't know any.

>Projecting this hard

How are the worst? Unironic "REEEE NORMIES" types or "VIVA LES NORMALFAGS BECAUSE EVERYONE BUT ME HERE IS A NECKBEARD" guys?

Hi, That Guy. Still impotently raging about whatever it is this week?

That's like asking who is the worst? A bible thumping deep souther Jack Chick type or a militant fedoratheist?

Both are fucking insufferable

This.

Case in point, and .

Normie here.

Take a shower you over weight faggots. Holy shit. I just started getting in to this hobby and its okay I guess but to sit next to you and smell the filth rotting under your rolls. I just can't.

Oh and stop role playing a fucking anime girl! I want to play with the minis and have no fucking clue what desu means.

LG MALE HUMAN FIGHTERS ONLY!

Their presence makes shitters like you clog up the board

This, i have far less problems with the casual players in my LGS than i have with the elitists who are still crying over mana burn

They push stronk women, trannies and gaysin the DnD and Pathfinder settings and make it the character main trait and only trait.

Reminder that people who unironically talk about "normies" fall into at least one of these three overlapping categories:

1) People with no social skills who are jealous of those that have them.

2) Like 1), but they've rationalised it to the point where they genuinely think having social skills makes you inferior to people who don't have them.

3) People who are pointlessly misanthropic/hostile to society/edgy that resent people who actually try to get along with others and make the best of it.

Did you have them do surface raids for the "good" of their society?

Have you tried wargaming? Get to play with a lot of minis and standing/sitting next to grease rolls isn't a requirement.

what? its a very valid criticism of gatekeeping, which is a problem in "nerd culture"

You ruined it, grog. With your endless autism and rules lawyering, and muh secret club. The filth has piled for decades. But normies will bring it back to glory. Now go take a fucking shower, manchild.

Some are 1) but instead of being jealous they are just afraid that "normies" will expulse them because people in these threads are already grouping them with That Guy and misantrophes.

>muh-muh-muh SJW boogeyman

Hows life treating you, robot?

Normies have ruined the hobby by bringing in their intellectual pretensions and trying to make storylines that deal with deeper emotional themes. If you want to tell a story write a book faggits.

So do you just conflate your boogeyman now or are all normal people secretly also hyper-radical Tumblr types and nobody's told me about it

>i dont know anything other than "i hit thing with sharp metal stick"

Shit player detected

If you are seriously worried about being thrown out of your friend group because a normie showed up then that reflects badly on you because it means at least one of the following is true:

1) You're aware on some level that you are unpleasant to be around, and if people had the option to ditch you and hang out with someone more companionable instead they would.

2) You're a distrustful, paranoid person who thinks their friends are only looking for the next opportunity to ditch them, even though there's nothing wrong with you.

3) You yourself are a shallow fairweather friend who'd think nothing of ditching an old friend if someone you thought was cooler came along, and you assume everyone else is like that.

Betamax soy boy detected. Do you try to defeat monsters with mixed yoga sessions and hugging it out?

The secret in all gaming is that no game is far superior to an awful group. So if you have an established group already in place an influx of Big Bang theory loving, critical role “nat 20” spouting retards won’t matter in the slightest. If you don’t have a current group then you are going to have to do some screening of the newbies. But that begs the question; why the hell haven’t you already built a stable group? Either you were too lazy OR no John, you are the fedora

I unironically am 2, and it's a consequence of being bullied (physically and emotionally) all through school.
I'm working on it but I do need people to reassure me at times that I am valued. Not the guy you're responding to.

I've been doing pretenious faggotry in my RPGs for 20 years and you D&D zombies can't do anything to stop me.

Sounds like you understand that it's a problem you yourself have to work on, rather than something which can be lazily blamed on "normies".

why are we still here, user?

By existing, far enough away for autists to panic and develop a culture of fear and wild witch-hunting over. They have damaged things for me by turning everyone else into hair-trigger tumblr tier males. Who scream "reddit!" and "reeeeee!" instead of "rape" or "patriarchy"

>lol why are people trying to make in depth emotional stories that connect with the players on a deeply human level?
>Just give me a dragon to slay and a princess to rescue you faggot
Wow, could you be any more of a fag?

Betamax That GM cuck fetishist detected.

>projecting this hard

So how do you get normies feel more involved?

I've a handful of normies that're new to tabletop in my VtM game, and so far, I could only come up with including plenty of action and letting them play combat oriented characters.

>1) You're aware on some level that you are unpleasant to be around, and if people had the option to ditch you and hang out with someone more companionable instead they would
>3) You yourself are a shallow fairweather friend who'd think nothing of ditching an old friend if someone you thought was cooler came along, and you assume everyone else is like that.
What is the difference?

I really hate how Veeky Forums's latent contrarianism means they have to give equal credence to a grognard extraordinaire and normie, or even worse more to the normie because they're trying to prove something.

Eating a salad as your appetizer instead of the onion rings at a resturant does not make you a health nut.

Changing a tire once does not make you a car expert.

Learning a few facts on George Washington's personal life on wikipedia does not make you a history buff.

Somebody who has a collection of minis and plays D&D religiously has more 'street cred' then a person who watches Critical Role and played D&D once or twice in college, no question. They are more of a 'nerd' then that person. Words have meaning, stop trying to grandstand and be a contrarian.

The requirement to be able to stand up for 2 hours at a time largely prevents 350lb blobs playing wargames.

>If you don't like autistics you are a contrarian

Yeah no thank you.

Wtf? True Neutral bitch.

>not being a beer & pretzels casual is now autism
See? That's what is wrong with normies, sure grognards can be annoying but they can at least conceive of the notion of people being different having different tastes but normies are ten times more intolerant and this on all aspects of life.
Grognard will call you a faggot on Internet if you like something he doesn't, a normalfag will unironically think that caring more about something than him is autistic.

>reddit spacing

You missed the fucking point. Nobody is going to argue degrees of experience or enthusiasm. The problem is going "No, you're a dirty normie ree! and so you're not allowed to play in my game/not a "real" nerd"

Litteraly my point, I'm at least genuinely arguing with you but you are just like "someone says something I don't like and I think that the groupthink is on my side? That's just wrongbadautisticopinion them"
I'm not even defending grognards that much and hating on "normalfags", but that's ridiculous how many people litteraly think that grognards are autistic devils and normalfags pure saints without their own prejudices.
They indeed have a tendency to mock anyone taking too seriously something they don't care a lot about for example and are not especially of those playing differently in their own corner.

*not especially tolerant of those playing differently

I am dead sure it waa berenstein.

OP is that you?

>this thread
Keep on feeding OP those (You)s, just keep on doing it.

>That image
Well shit, here's your (You)

Interestingly enough, my experience has been kinda dissimilar. "Normies", for the most part, are pretty chill about this shit. The worst mockery and bullying I've ever received, either Veeky Forums or /vidya/ related, was from fellow 'nerds' trying to make themselves feel better.
YMMV tho

>implying normies arent the ones who ruin role-playing shit with ther xd epic jokes

Running a short campaign like that might actually be a useful detox to force anime-addicted fags into give their PCs more definition than hair color and powers.

They took my gay vampires and fagged them up

(you)

No problems with normies. But I hate fucking hipsters coming into the hobby. One day it's buy a rulebook the next it's pretending to enjoy some obscure Hungarian Military simulation and scoffing about problematic themes and how Space Marines need tits. Throw in the fact that most of them are as dumb as a fucking post yet think they're "more educated and urbane" then everybody else and cant handle disagreement as a result you have a formerly fun LGS or Forum become a misery not worth bearing. So no issues with normies, but we do need to purge the scene kids with tumblr blogs and those with social science or education degrees.

(You)

Fixed that for you.

I don't have a problem with anyone being involved in my hobby as long as they neither ask for anything about it to change or anyone changes it to appeal to them more.

Sometimes it just gets to me though. They've literally got everything else, I just want somewhere I can be openly broken without pretending I'm not because everyone else there is broken in some way too.

That's why I want normies out, unironically.

You don't see how intruding on someone's private hobby, private life, AWAY from the people who they don't want to associate with as a bad thing?

If a religious person wants to pray at Church and a bunch of edgy atheists teens come in with no respect or acknowledgment of the reason why the group as founded in the first place, you don't think that's bad?

Why is it any different for nerds and normies?

Normies are traditionally people who aren't very attractive or good at social situations. Many of them have minor mental disorders or personality problems, and staying away from attractive young people who once teased them is a reason why they got into these hobbies and because they appealed to them. Then, when girls and chads invade their hobby and turn the topics of adventure and fantasy (including escapism) into more modern political topics they don't want, and continue to make them uncomfortable by their presence, why is that not only acceptable but in fact good? Why should you desire to put neckbeards "in their place" by forcing them to interact with people and topics they don't want to?

>obscure hungarian military simulations
>he doesnt want to play as Hungarian freedom fighters waving flags with holes in them to protest the Soviet puppet government
How is being a history autist being a hipster?

He won't be able to eat all the (You)s, right? He will give up if we keep going.

>They push stronk women, trannies and gaysin
Most nerds/geeks/whatever are the once that push this shit.

Normies are well adjusted and don't cling onto their mental disorders.

A handy guide. And by god, the amount of ledditors here.

Real normies are not as bad as meme-nerds. Meme-nerds who walk around in "geek culture" crossover t-shirts and subscribe to multiple trash-box subscriptions are the ones ruining everything. They are convinced that they encapsulate every single subculture, and when they actually run into somebody who cares about anything non-mainstream they treat them like dogshit because it makes them self-aware about how fucking fake they are.

Real normies who are open enough to get into something like D&D tend to be alright though.

Thoroughly improved. I used to play with dudes I met at college, and they were all cringey weirdos. I started DMing for some dudes at my workplace (auto repair shop) and they all give a shit about the game.

They may not ask for things to change, but things will still change once companies get wind of the fact that they're in the market. Just look at 5e. Not a bad game by any stretch, but its taken huge leaps to be accessible.

You are worse than they are.

Thats what's super fucking weird. I find normies these days are much more likely to do their "homework" for a game than actual factual dorks. Really an inversion of the way things were when I was younger.

>5e
>the definition of mother-may-I gaming
>not a bad game

I suffixed that statement with the the scenario that someone is green as gooseshit to the hobby along with the "pretending to like".

Nothing wrong with being a history autist, but there is something wrong with not reading the entire paragraph or sentence to gain context. But I forgive you user.

Normies don't smell like shit, they won't rule lawyer unless you fucked internal consistency bad and you can use your favorite books and movies as material because they have never heard of them, they make GoT inspired fighters and rogue aristocrats that fit every setting.

Neckbeards only bitch and moan about raw, they complain everything is generic, they never shower and only bathe in their own waste, they play murder hobos and wacky chaotic evil yet sexy tieflings.

I think it is pretty clear who has ruined the hobby.

this

This is the loneliest, most autistic thing I have ever read, and I'm including the entirety of the CWC wiki.

godspeed

It gets posted everyday on Veeky Forums. If you haven't seen it before you're a newfag and coming here to shitpost your politics. LURK MOAR or fuck off.

The ENTIRE CWC wiki?

There's nothing built into the game that forces it to be that way. I wont really defend it beyond saying that much, as Ive never even played it.

EXACTLY. Fully half of them have started reading the background books to more effectively roleplay their characters, and the others pretty much follow suit when it comes up in game.
"Shit, my character hasn't taken a bath in like three weeks? I didn't know that cost anything. I pay a shilling at the closest inn in town and get clean."

Lurk more

Its fairly true though. It happened with MTG at least.

we're all gonna make it, brahs

>This is the loneliest, most autistic thing
Welcome to Veeky Forums, newfriend

Fuck off, it only gets posted in these autistic 'muh hobby reeeee' threads. The last time I saw it was half a year ago. If you know every fucking Veeky Forums meme this well, just kys asap.

Somebody please open some kind of orphanage but for /r9k/, I can't bear it, make them at least less salty and hostile ffs

God, thankyou. Give me a normie who reads the background material and is willing to roleplay over a mix-maxing Autist who outs no effort into anything other that dominating the encounters.

But this beggers the question. Are we, despite having played a long time "normies? And are the ones complaining about "normies" the shitty people (aka. Those Guys) in the hobby most decent people in it want gone anyway, as they suck the fun out of it and are responsible for the embarassing stigma attached to roleplaying?

>orphanage but for /r9k/
Like /r9k/?

But MTG was always shit.

That is exile.

Im sure its more just the existential dread at realizing that because somebody normal can do your dork shit just as well as you can, and you cant be normal, that means you're a broken human being. Seen it a million times.

Those guys might be more invested due to their autism but they are not making the hobby better.

Thats not what Im saying. Im saying that the fanbase has been replaced with normies, because it has.

lol, what a faggot