What’s your favorite 3.5 homebrew?

What’s your favorite 3.5 homebrew?

Small rules to huge books, anything is game.

Other urls found in this thread:

giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?219078-ARK-s-Anime-Inspired-Character-Classes-(3-5-Base-Class)
giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?194002-3-5-A-Translation-of-Vancian-Spellcasting-to-Psionic-Mechanics
giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?170912-I-have-made-tin-into-gold!-3-5-Base-Class-PEACH-WiP
d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineRanksAndPowers.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?219078-ARK-s-Anime-Inspired-Character-Classes-(3-5-Base-Class)

Hot-Blooded Hero in particular. Printed it out ages ago with all the original pictures. Let my brother play it in a light-hearted campaign. Loads of fun.

I’m a fan of the vancian to psionics pdf.

It’s pretty good.

giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?194002-3-5-A-Translation-of-Vancian-Spellcasting-to-Psionic-Mechanics

I love E6

Did you know you can get thrallherd at 6th level?

Golden Alchemist is my favorite class ever.

giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?170912-I-have-made-tin-into-gold!-3-5-Base-Class-PEACH-WiP

I ran this for a wile but then atarted to feel as if i was only playing with half the game.

Immortals handbook is the best.

Lol I gotta try this.

Fucking this. Epic6 isn't perfect, but it's as close as you can get to doing away with most of the bloat in DnD.

What about e8?

Agreed. I followed the ENWorld threads for a long time before it came out, the mechanics may have ended up flawed due to the foundations of the system but I will always love the ideas.

>favorite 3.5 homebrew

Pathfinder

Some of that stuff is better
>skills
>some cool monsters

However 3.5 will always have the heart and soul of the d&d franchise, and it has awesome stuff like the immortals handbook.

Do what I do.

People get divine ranks after an ascension quest after level 6.

That way fighters can wildshift. Rogues a can get divine skill bonuses, and wizards aren’t as strong because potentialy anyone can use spells.

They can get new divine abilities for a feat.

I once created a complete system rebuild that resolved *most* of the flaws in 3.5, balanced casters and non-casters, and mandated more conservative and plausible gameplay from the players.

Nobody liked it.

>divine ranks
what?

It’s a thing in deities and demigods.
d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineRanksAndPowers.htm

Technically Pathfinder is a 3.0 homebrew that copies elements of 3.5.

I found two fixes for the Truenamer class online a few years back. I find that the best homebrew for 3.5 is the stuff that fixes game balances and, in the case of the Truenamer, turn a literally unplayable class into something fun and Tier 3. One fix just made them more viable while the other was a total overhaul that made their Utterances function like Power Word effects.

Fuck off, Paizo.

Show us, user

A rule patch for large monsters that turned their basic attacks into AOE. Basically, they would attack an area equal to two sizes smaller than they were, making them much deadlier in martial combat.

i dropped the instant kill from 50+ dmg to 2 twice your con. So some one with a 10 con after 20dmg would need to make a fort of 10+dmg over.
Helps with the hp sponge problem and makes the game feel more lethal.

It's okay, but not as good. In general, DnD has to be limited within 5-6 levels in order to maintain the tone of the campaign, and levels 1-6 are perfect for traditional heroic fantasy.

Pathfinder is shit. CMD/CMB has this autistic consequence where monsters are great at grappling but suck at holding their grapple. Grappling rules are NOT fixed, game adds more bloat with the favored class bullshit, witch is broken (can heal an entire army of people with healing hex and that's not even the most broken thing it can do), summoner can do fuck-tarded broken builds, there are so many gay-ass modifiers due to players trying to do stupid shit that the whole game falls apart. I didn't run into this shit until high, high level 3.5 play. The fucking Pathfinder wiki SRD is the bane of my existence. Plus it has all the 3rd party crap so the players take all those feats without even realizing, let alone asking, that it is 3rd party crap. At least they remembered to ask permission for the classes. The result is me having to spend 1 hour PER CHARACTER learning what their feats and abilities do, and I'm honestly too goddamn tired to fact check it. And then some autistic fucking niggerfaggot will call me out for being a "bad GM" because I don't want to troll through 10 SRD pages per character to keep up on what all their abilities do because they all are different classes and none of it is core shit. Fuck you, you fucking faggot, your game is a load of shit and I am so fucking glad that 5e is slowly sucking the life out of it. Fuck Pathfinder. Mathfinder, more like. I just ran a session of it literally 20 minutes ago, and browsing Veeky Forums right now is more fun than running that fucking game. Now that they are out the door I might be able to salvage my evening. At least with 3.5 you had to own the books to make your broken-ass builds. Now there are traits, flaws, retarded-ass classes and archetypes that do all sorts of gay shit. I fucking hate pathfinder. One of the alternate favored class abilities was like, add 1/6th of your level to some spell caster level if you're a fucking grippli wizard. Are you kidding me? Even GURPS is less goddamn autistic.

>browsing Veeky Forums right now is more fun than running that fucking game
user, are you trying to imply that browsing Veeky Forums isn't really that fun? I might be sad.

No but actual games should be more fun than browsing Veeky Forums.

Pathfinder isn't actually a game, though.

>Fixing a system by regularly making level 6 characters gods

>waaaaah
>the post
Then DON'T PLAY IT. It's not hard. If you're more stupid than the systems you try and run, it's your own fault.

When everyone's a god, no one will be.

Exactly.

When everyone has nukes...

Bloatfinder is and always will be trash.

My rebuild was a MAJOR hatchetjob that made a wide variety of optional books and materials part of core, and through out a lot of the player handbook. I told you, you're not going to like it. You're essentially building a new system from the ground up using scraps of the old 3.5 ruleset. Taken individually, each of these items will seem crazy, but when combined together make for a solid system, so don't kneejerk halfway through.

Problem: Quadratic martials versus exponential casters. Solution: [You're going to hate this] Throw out all primary-casting classes that rely on Spells/day mechanics. No wizard, sorcerer, etc. Druid stays but gets skill points as a rogue and loses spellcasting. They're just shapeshifting nature-loving wildmen. Cleric stays but loses all spellcasting, gains bonus feats as per a fighter but those feats must be chosen from the Divine Feats, so they're converting their Turning uses into supernatural special effects. Make Incarnum, Warlocks, Dragonfire Adepts, Shadowcasters, and Binders core. Bards lose spellcasting but get bonus feats as per fighters that must be from the bardic music feats or skill focuses. Rangers and Paladins use the non-magical variants from the Complete books. Fighter and Monk no longer exist as classes, Book of Nine Swords is now martial-core. Fighter replaces Warrior as an NPC class. Now we remove every spell that is no duplicated by one of the variant powersets we're keeping, and every magic item that cannot be duplicated with the remaining power sets, and every monster that is dependent on spells or magical effects that no longer exist. Also remove all prestige classes that rely on or grant spells/day as a mechanic. This also removes the majority of casters-replace-skill-users complaints.

Yeah, told you'd hate it. But we're not done yet.

Problem: Skill check DCs too low, skill points too plentiful. You remember all those variant power sets? Each one gets their own Knowledge and Spellcraft equivalent. Knowledge: Psionics will tell you exactly NOTHING about how a Warlock does what they do. Shadowcraft will not reveal whatever soulmelds a Totemist is using, no matter how high you roll. Congrats, magic is mysterious and spooky! Now we increase ALL check DCs by 7 across the board. That DC 10 balance check? Now a 17. This forces people to specialize and invest heavily, no more jack-of-all-trades Mary-Sues[. Combined with the loss of skill-boosting magic items, shit just got a lot more difficult./spoiler]

Problem: Wealth-By-Level guidelines. Solution: Scrap them entirely and package some worldbuilding resources and economic guidelines for the DM to use. Yeah, it's more work for the DM. Suck it up, buttercup.

Problem: Players blase` about danger. Solution: we've already removed most magical healing options available to players. Now we bring it home: Every class keeps its Hit Dice, but they don't increase a player's HP by level. Every player gets 2 HP per level base plus their Con Mod. When they rest for 8 hous they can roll 1 hit die and recover that many HP, plus any from the Heal skill. Now we double the number of damage dice done by all melee and range weapons, and triple their crit ranges. You got stabbed by a sword but survived somehow? You're gonna be laid up for a few weeks healing. No overnight recovery from broken bones. Similarly, no magical effect that deals physical damage is capable of scoring a critical hit anymore.Monsters get 4HP per hit die level they used to have plus con bonuses, except for humanoids and other playable races.

Problem: the ECL and encounter level system doesn't make any sense anymore. Solution: It never made sense, throw it out. A dozen goblins with daggers are now a credible threat at any level. DMs will have to spitball their encounters more, but since there's 70% less monstersnow, players will have to think and struggle through their fights instead of breezing through everything.

Problem: Tax feats. Solution: Rewrite all of the martial feat trees. The second-tier feats in those trees now include the prerequisite starter feat's effects in them. The fourth-tier feats also include the appropriate third-tier feat's effects as well. Go ahead and dual-wield.

There was a bunch of setting and cosmology stuff as well, but that's not system related. So, we're done. We now have a cruel, dangerous high-mortality middle-fantasy middle-magic system. You can now commence bitching and moaning about how stupid I am and how you'd never play this system and it's not your grampa's DnD. Whatever. You bitches asked, I delivered.

You know, at that point, why even play 3.X.

The unbalancing is almost a part of it’s charm.

I told you it's basically making a new, non-3.x system anyway. The system had some good ideas, but the bulk of it is unsalveagable. Better to burn it down and start over.

>The unbalancing is almost a part of it’s charm.
Character creation in 3.x is the equivalent of deck-building in ccgs. If all options are balanced, then you might as well put your character together at random.

I actually find that E8 works in Pathfinder (at least if we're only talking core+APG), since every class has gotten their basic abilities by then

>ban every class except Bo9S and Psionics Handbook ones
>E6
Done.

You know why they didn't like it don't you user. We both know why.

Uhm

That's why certain effects stand good on their own but can combo with other effects to make a more powerful effect. There are games that do this well 4e being one of them.

>4e
Oh come on, you can cut better bait than that.

>implying I wasn't insulting PF by calling it 3.5 homebrew
>implying I didn't bring it up specifically to activate someone's almonds

That’s nice

i am sorry for your gaming session, but pathfinder is still superior to 3.5.
if you menage to turn a positive point, pathfinder having all options easily searchable in one place, into a negative one, then it's mostly your fault.
you should have told your players to just stick to the one, two or three main books or run without archetypes.
if you allow splatbooks in 3.5 it gets even worse than allowing a couple fo things in pathfinder.

except that when i am building a deck the goal is to win the tournament, but when i am making a character the goal should be to make a character trope i love while also helping the DM at running a balanced adventure where all the players get close to equal amount of fun out of their characters.
having broken options ruin that.