What special abilities do you think suit a demon/undead/monster hunter, other than the usual strength, speed, etc...

What special abilities do you think suit a demon/undead/monster hunter, other than the usual strength, speed, etc? Abilities that might not be useful in any situation other than the hunt.

The innate ability to sense any of those around them

We talking in range regardless of obstacles, or within sight? Maybe a mix?

Ability to recall prepared objects to hand. Its moderately useful fir mundane tasks and party tricks, but for a Hunter its a vital power. You never really know what your quarry is until you catch it, and sometimes you end up in a fight with some unique beastie no one has ever heard of.

In times like that, the ability to call to hand specific tools and weapons is a lifesaver. The 'owlbear' attacks turn out to be a werewolf? ZAM! Silver tipped spear. Without it, youd be dead.

Some new monster you dont know the weakness of? Start with fire, see how that works, and go through the list of what you can summon until you find a weapon that hurts it.

>prepare a bus to hand
>summon it to crush whatever you want

Meant for

Alchemy to transmute metals instantaneously or combine various weakening ingredients
Poison/antivenom use
Ability to recall esoteric information quickly, magical photography
Limited true sight
Medium/seance skills
Tinkering and field reseasrch of biological substances or magical materials

Even assuming there isnt a limit on what you can prepare/summon, I could see that backfiring very easily. A mistake of positioning means you crush yourself.

insane venom/poison resistance. Like "this should kill a man, but instead only stuns you for a minute or two" kind of strong

I always like the kind of psychometry "touch the footprint and get an instant insight into what the quarry was doing/thinking" kind of power too

Sense Evil
Sense Undead
Poisons—lots of poisons
Potions
Crossbows/Flintlocks
Invisibility/Camoflauge
Muffle/Noise reduction

Detect Lies
Force things to tell the truth

The original dhampir legends gave them the ability to recognize supernatural entities (vampires, werewolves and witches), speak with animals, telekinesis and the ability to turn into a giant wolf to fight monsters.

Does poison work against the undead?

The inability to sustain an erection except when in the presence of a monster.

"Huh. This one's actually staying. Sorry, ma'am, but you're DEFINITELY a monster."

Undead, no.

Werewolves etc, yes, but you probably won't actually kill them with it.

Demons, depends on the demon.

>semen demon?

I'm a fan of magic/class physically corrupting and changing how a being operates, so to that effect, I usually give the classes that associate with these forces some manner of naturalized ability(ies), such as:

-Sense Demon/Undead: Basically you can use any of your five (or sixth) sense to perceive Demons and Undead, be they physical, ethereal, or even possessing an individual. In particular instances this can even extend to the subtle whispers or the dead and demonic which people are usually ignorant to.

-Consume Demon: Demon flesh is usually corrupting, toxic, addicting, or possessing any number of other unsavory qualities; Warlocks, however, can consume it with little to no problem beyond their personal opinion of it's texture and flavor...I mean, they can improve that with spices, cooking, etc, but the point is they can eat this biohazardous substance with no issue.

-Demonic/Undead presence: Just like how you can sense the presence of Demons and Undead, so too can Demons and Undead sense the presence of a Warlock or Necromancer. Depending on your relationships, though, they can fear you, hate you, be aroused by your presence, or they can be completely ambivalent about your existence. Anyone who has this starts off as 'neutral' towards the beings that acknowledge their aura as their own, but it eventually evolves and changes as the character does.

-Undeath Immunity: While in some cases Necromancers 'do' want to become undead, there are instances where they'd like to remain living, (un)fortunately: Necromancers start out as being ironically 'immune' to the negative and degenerative effects of Undeath and the various curses and magical diseases that cause it.

-Influence Demons/Undead: Similar to the 'presence' trait, Influence basically give a Necromancer or Warlock a benefit on their will/charisma check when negotiating or trying to dominate the minds of such beings. This is more of a magical ability than a physical mutation.

Well, let's consider the advantages of penis-based monster-dowsing.

One, it's relatively discreet unless you're wearing tight pants and have a massive cock.
Two, despite the discretion, you really can't miss that it's happening.
Three, it encourages the mild release of adrenaline and endorphins so when you attack, you're already good to go, neurochemically speaking.
Four, it'll keep you focused on hunting, since that's the only form of sexual gratification you're likely to experience regularly.

Minor divination and spirit journeys.
Any ability that mimics their prey, an undead hunter should be able to go without rest for an extended while to keep up with the restless dead.
Immunity to poisons and diseases commonly spread by their quarries.

How would you make a Witchhunter for D&D using only the core PHB? Ranger with crossbow and Fey Favored Enemy?

Really bothers me Combat gets a holy class (Paladin) and Magic gets a holy class (Cleric), but Stealth doesn’t.

Inverse strength gain: The closer you are to death, the stronger you get as the suit feeds on your necrotic energies.
Shadow step: Walk through shadows to teleport, always useful
Death sight: Lets you touch a corpse and figure out how they died
Adaptive learning: The longer you fight a target, the better you get at fighting it.

Good question my friend.

I'd recommend a holy alchemist/occultist, someone that spends time making holy equipment and gadgets to fight back against the creatures of darkness by not fighting fairly. Sure the Paladin has smite, but you have holy water bombs and cleansing fire.

Blood that's poisonous to monsters.

in D&D5 it's literally as easy as taking the Avenging paladin archetype and specify that you have a grudge against witches.
Your abillities and spells empowers your attacks and wards off literal evil. Bonuses against undeads too.
>Just fluff it as righteous anger instead of divine light.
Also play the witcher games.
Remember to carry iron for monsters of flesh and silver for monsters of myth. Poisons to ward of the things from the wood and a pouchfull of of salt for the more ethereal.

An excellent memory, for all the research they'd have to do. Or perhaps knowledgeable summon / companion. Im thinking Navi from LoZ:OoT.

Something to help id and provide details on the various abomination they'd have to face, since they cant just open a smartphone a google it.

honestly, a monster/witch/demon hunter like the one pictured or like witcher or like helsing, is usually always a one man deal. Thus, any one of these hunters would be mad OP and be able to act as an entire party of adventurers.

In order to make one work in a team game, it either needs to be on a relatively high scale, or massively toned down.

I like modern settings, so I go for modern abilities:

>play dead - if arrested, fake death and escape from the morgue later
>hypnosis - to get into places you wouldn't normally be allowed in
>face obscuring - hide who you are on recording devices, like CCTV
>illusion spells - to hide weapons
>stealth abilities - to hide in shadows or stalk prey undetected

>Protection From Seduction