Opening Restaurant in Foreign Land

I want to open an American cafe in Japan, but I have no clue how to do it.

I am currently in my last year of high school and plan to go to culinary school to perfect my skills in the kitchen. I love cooking authentic American cuisines and want to open a restaurant or cafe in some place that isn't as crowded with American themed restaurants, such as Japan for instance. I am more than willing to put forth the work and effort of the feat, but the only problem is that I don't know where to start. I have some ideas set, real estate wise and location too, but I am unsure of what to do from there.

Should you ask the weebs over in otaku or whatever that place is called what those gooks like to eat and work around that.

u need that crypto capital first bro.

not gonna be cheap at all.

then u have to have money saved to help with cashflow

Good luck, I'd say your best bet is to find a good Japanese lawyer who practices small business law and who works regularly with American clients. Proceed from there.

Will not be easy. Japan loves ethnic food but they like it cooked by Japanese.

What kind of american cuisine? hot dogs and hamburgers?

Does Japan offer business-type visas for long-term residency? Find out early and apply;
Also, study the language, of course. Get adequate conversational skills

I figured as much and even planned for that, but that's what business is all about; and what good is American cuisine if it's not made by someone form its native country?

Yes it does. But it's more finding the real estate and getting a fair quote that I am the most concerned about at the moment.

I was panning on doing a combination of both southern and northern dishes, but mainly the dishes America are most known for.

I would go to Okinawa where the most Americans are and see what works there and what doesn't. You probably would want to spend a bit of time in Japan before opening a business there.

What on earth is authentic American cuisine?

Make a soap called the nuke special or overcook the hotdogs really bad and call it "burn marks"

What makes your american cafe more appealing than the millions of the Japanese cafe already there? You are gonna lose money if you don't have something that'll make you stand out

greets, collard greens, and shake 'n' bake

Japan already has fuckloads of american themed restaurants already. They have quite a lot of american influence there. I mean the most popular christmas food there is KFC. Same goes for the rest of the world, as american culture has spread pretty much to everywhere unless it’s some 3rd world country. You’re better off with something more exotic.

Pure image and tastes like nordic countries are all the rage in japan for example.

That's a pretty good idea, I'll add Okinawa to the list of possible places to check out when visiting. I did want to spend a little bit of time down there so I could see how things were done first hand and started compiling a short list of potential places to visit.

leafs will win the stanley cup

> I love cooking authentic American cuisines

Japan isn't going to adopt eating butter by the stick.. ever

Soup****

Don't ruin it any more fat burger, it's already become Americanised enough.

You make a good argument, it is fairly over saturated down there, and I were to try and bring it around to make a profit, I would need to come up with something more exotic than just American cuisine, I'd have to do something somewhat more original. Think outside of the box.

Create a coin called oishii coin. You gonna use this coin as the currency in your cafe. Can't do an ico on it but just spam biz and set the cap to a centillion.

You need to find two Japanese to help you with this.

First you want to get someone like hiroshima who isn't a criminal to be the face of your cafe. A lot easier to hype and sell to Japanese people if they think its one of their kind.

Second you wanna hire some autistic artist. I would suggest finding some neet in Japan and pay them like 5 bucks an hour to draw cute pictures for your coin.

Once you actually open your cafe, if your coin isn't doing so well you are going to create fake customers. These customers will go into your cafe and eat and shill to everyone. Anyone who doesn't like your cafe these fake customers will bully them.

I leave the rest to you.

I went through culinary school.
My advice: DON'T.
Culinary school is overrated and you pay a ton of money for learning little information.

Most people who go to culinary school end up leaving after a few months once they realize how shitty it is (low pay, high stress, long hours, dangerous), and end up as waiters.

At the hotel I cooked at 50% of the waiter staff were former culinary school cooks.

Instead take some culinary classes at a community college and say "I'm in culinary school" when applying to a high end cooking gig for a prep cook position. Another option is to try to get a graveyard time cook position for a high end hotel since these jobs are hard to fill and its a good way to get into a high end job with good pay.

You'll learn more on the job than any culinary school can provide you.

restaurant model one of 2 types:
>trendy and hip but you shut down and change concept after 3-4 years
>classic recipes with high turnover
the first one depends on your marketing skill. the secons depends on your cooking skill.