A squad of the guy on the left is still more iconic, cheaper and more versatile than the guy on the right

>a squad of the guy on the left is still more iconic, cheaper and more versatile than the guy on the right

Why did GW mess up Primarines so badly?

The Reivers look good, the main Intercessors look pretty bland. However the Inceptors and particularly the Agressors and the Gravis captain look shite to anyone with a functioning brain stem. And let's not mention the skimmer tanks, I don't really get why GW went for that angle.

I haven't seen anyone playing them at the club, everyone was trading them away for more Plague Marines from the intro set.

ITT: Subjective opinions stated as objective facts.

Spess Marines look goofy and childish no matter the design.
Its like those gritty superman movies. Despite the grey filter its still a guy in tights and a cape.

>I haven't seen anyone playing them at the club, everyone was trading them away for more Plague Marines from the intro set

Funny how everyone whi say that never give any proofs.
And how DG half can be had for 30€ but SM half is literraly never available.

Dont worry, in 2018 they'll have a second and third release wave like stormcasts and they will do everything better than marinelets.

>Reivers look good
No they dont, they look like captain-COD wearing space-boots.

You actually enjoy this kind of stuff?

I'm curious. What appealed to you about 40k?

If the fanbase weren't such spergs we could of just had truescale space marines.

>I'm curious. What appealed to you about 40k?
>If you like something I don't, I like the setting more than you

You're assuming quite a bit there, friend. I just said I was curious.

What is the big deal about them? I'd agree the centurions model isn't well executed but both are fairly logical designs.

>Varenus! You get first pick; either Chad Marine or Virgin Blood Angel. Point to whoever you want on your team and i guess we'll take the other.

Even the Ultramarine in your pic wants the glorious Primarine.

They just want money and children are going to buy the primaris just because they think weirdo giants are cool

Yep. They should have been the new basic marines. GW should have just said they were finally bringing the marine models and rules in line with the background. The story progression regarding cawl could have been that he was sitting on the methods used for quicker astartes production originally used by the emperor and primarchs but was unwilling to implement thin lest he charged a Heretek. Once Gulliman was around and could underwrite and make official Cawls astartes production methods, they could reinforce the imperium with a fresh wave of marines (not different primaris marines, just marines).

Gulliman then bans the use of centurion armor and introduces Gravis armor meant for void combat that can have thrusters for better movement but in general has better life support systems (t5).

Left>Right>>>Middle

That striding Primaris looks great but Beakies are the most 40k thing there and pure nostalgia.

In this way, GW would have made more money over time since the new models are the new marine standard. New terminator models would be needed. New tanks, etc. the primaris dread is awful and coincidentally the contemptor and leviathan dreads actually better suit the Mk.X armor aesthetic better than the primaris dread.

It would be like the difference between 2nd and 3rd edition. People got over it. Classic minis are still used from time to time on the tabletop and are often a point of pride among collectors.

They didn't do this because they still had millions of units of old marines in stock that would suddenly become useless

gradual shift allows them to sell off everything they've produced

They've been planning 8th edition for a few years. How long do they need to taper down marine production so inventory clears out for the new marines?

What bugs me is not the model change but the complete change in the long term of the strategy of the SM army, where instead of versatile squads you get more specialized ones. Was it needed?

Glad to see them sort out that fucking Guardfag.

That's actually a great way of describing it.

The original miniatures due to design limitations and no doubt a bit of nostalgia, just seem more like they embrace that in a good way.

I agree. It works in 30k because the games tend to be bigger and more lethal.

But in 40k. One of the marines' strengths is their versatility on a unit level.

space marines still have more options

as soon as you start pushing out release after release after power creep, even stormcast eternals end up selling

It seems like they intentionally threw a bone to players who aren't entirely happy with the Primaris Marines. If anything it worked too well.

i prefer the centurions desu. Imperial fists centurions look dope as fuck

if the gravids had the centurion legs they'd be much better.

I don't really see how liking Centurions is any different than liking Dreadnoughts (both are silly looking overdesigned boxes on legs). Agressors are basically just Firebats which I don't really see as much of a negative considering how 40K and Starcraft have exchanged design cues regularly since the mid 90s. Both are pretty similar to Terminators or (fuckugly) Dreadknights or any other "small dude in big box thing" unit and they fit into the 40k aesthetic just fine in my opinion. I may be biased because Space Hulk and "Terminators facing down endless hordes of unspeakable alien horrors" were my introduction to 40k. But, generally speaking, "single human in a cool suit shooting shit" is nothing new.

tl;dr I think they fit classic 40k themes just fine, even though they aren't aesthetically perfect

>Why did GW mess up Primarines so badly?
the only thing they messed up on the not-tacticals was the helmet

If they'd gone back to beakies, or kept the angry mk7s, they'd be perfect models. Flatface mk4 is completely unflattering, and honestly quite boring in comparison.

This is for you

Intercessors look fine, they have better proportions and detail then your so called iconic marine. And you think this is all we're going to see for new marines? GW has a limited producing capacity, but they sure as hell will be putting out new Primaris kits in the future when they can. Primaris specific BA/DA/SW/etc. you bet your ass they'll be coming. And with that, likely even more specialized primaris squads replacing the tactical roles of regular marines like Assault/Devastator/etc.

As for rules, they change, things can be added/removed at any time. And versatility in tac squads means jack shit. The way the game is designed means specializing a squad is the most efficient thing to do. That's why min/max'ing was a thing.

Primaris helmets are fine, the only problem is that there's no variation (yet). Designers specifically made it so you could head swap primaris marines (as well as shoulder pads), pic literally shows a beaky marine.

>pic literally shows a beaky marine
yes, and my reason for posting it was to showcase how the mk6 hat looks much better than the mkX ones

>starts spouting stupid bullshit about power armor sculpts
>posts non-power armor units when called out

But people saying dopey looking RT sculpts are better are like the people saying Adam West batman was aesthetically superior to Dark Knight.

RT sculpts were on par for 1987 kid. Molding making, digital modeling and 3D Printing have all advanced significantly in the last 30 years.

Centurions look infinitely better with those MkIII helmets and a decent paintjob.

>grafitti says "Marines lol"

Newfag detected.

>so called iconic
There's nothing so called about it, you ignorant little wankpocket. Fucking millennial newshits. Just fuck off back to your after school club.

A squad of the guy on the left will cost you megabucks on ebay user. Mint RTB01 beakies are hella expensive.

I think you should learn what aesthetically means, you obnoxious little fuck nugget. It certainly doesn't mean over designed cad action figures for adhd retards like you are automatically better because they are newer, oafishly oversized and have more bling spunked all over then.

This.
It's GW trying to stealth a true scale and fucking it up. Just release the larger models without fucking with the fluff or penalizing people who don't upgrade. A couple of years of being called a poorfag and shamed by your buddies and we're all good.
Shit isn't even that hard GW.

There is a very specific reason why I actually like those two units.

>left: marauders, right: firebats

See? I know this is subjective but that image proves my point- From where I stand those models are incredibly aesthetic and I would field the fuck out of them.

>I haven't seen anyone playing them at the club, everyone was trading them away for more Plague Marines from the intro set.

Holy shit is today opposite day or something? Because we had 2 players start Death Guard purely because people were just giving the death guard half of the starter set away while buying multiple copies for the primaris.

As for the primaris themselves, I see the fluff idea behind it, they're set up like the old legions were. One unit, one job, one main set of equipment. They're meant to stand out from the regular marines and have a unique playstyle, so they didn't just replace marines overnight. In that case GW actually did pretty well, you could play normal marines all day and not need a single primaris marine.

As for primaris marines themselves I know three people that run them heavily, Raven Guard, Salamanders, and Ultramarines. They do decently against anything that isn't a horde, they just don't have the tools to properly fight them. Especially not Imperial Guard, where I'm either running over a hundred guardsmen, a ton of tanks, or a mix between. "Aggressors mop the floor with hordes though!" Yes, yes they would, if they survived turn one, because anyone with 2 brain cells to rub together will target them the moment they're a threat and blow those measly 6 wounds off the table.

It really seems like GW balanced them against the Death Guard in the starter set and forgot that 40k has one of the most insanely varied metas out there in terms of what you could potentially face. Primaris do well against really typical stuff you'd expect to see but the moment someone throws a curveball at them they're fucked. I think they'd work well as small allied detachments for other armies, hell I'd run some with my guard for shits and giggles, but they're far too limited for a full army. My main concerns from what I've seen is they lack anti horde, powerful anti tank, and mobility. They'll tear up another elite army but that's about it.

I mean, it's not even that...The thing from decades ago that literally popularized the system in the first place will OBVIOUSLY tend to be more iconic then the things that are built off of it, regardless of if the later things are better or not.

The problem is marines are the biggest selling line and take up damn near half their inventory. By letting them peter out you'd be hinting that a change is coming, people already freak out when models go out of stock as is. A whole line running low would've been a massive red flag and caused a chicken little response. People would've thought GW was shutting down, had supply issues, or was about to squat 40k, I guaranfuckingtee it.

The only option they would've had would be to catch the fanbase by "surprise" and reveal them out of nowhere. But then all your old stock becomes completely worthless and other than a few oldfags finishing up their armies most people would stop buying until 8th drops.

Not to mention that in order to redo the entire line would have been a massive investment, well over a years worth of releases. Think about how many marine kits are out there, and I mean really think about it. Now realize that all those need to be retooled and the old ones, some of which are less than a year or two old, are now completely useless and need to be retired. It just wasn't possible, even for GW with their flagship line.

goddamn that beaky is sexy with the new armor.