/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

>Xanathar's Guide Table of Contents
web.archive.org/web/20171016180500/https://www.dndbeyond.com/members/BadEye/articles

>Forge Cleric - Xanathar's Guide
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/DnDXL2017_Forge.pdf

>Unearthed Arcana: Fiendish Options
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA_FiendishOptions.pdf

>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/...
"Waiting for the leaks" edition

Other urls found in this thread:

drive.google.com/file/d/0B40nce9YZ1MbZlpqMVp5bVJmTlU/view
sageadvice.eu/2015/08/22/can-you-load-two-hand-crossbows/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I want to play d&d with /5eg/

Then do it.

Does lifedrinker stack with hex warrior?

Okay, after seeing the nerfs to samurai and arcane archer, I'm starting to believe the "fighter's can't have anything fun" thing

Cavalier is pretty nice, I wonder who designed it

is it out yet

That would be fun nibba, bagsy Wizard!

Yeah I think so. You mark a creature with hex curse, and hit them with your pact weapon.

Where is scan bro when you need him?

It's not like anyone uses short rests anyway. You're not playing the game right if your Wizard runs out of spell slots.

I'm talking about 2 times CHA for damage

Who do I tweet at if I want to demand reasoning for samurai nerfs?

In our campaign we cast Suggestion on a Wyvern. I, the caster, didn't know Draconic, but our dragonborn did. The dragonborn recited what I wanted to tell the Wyvern back to me, and I needed an additional intelligence check to recite it to an understandable degree.
So basically my question here is HOW DID OUR DM ALLOW THIS BULLSHIT TO WORK

Crawford or Mearls (ask the one who was featured on the preview video)

Whoever you want man, it never works anyway

Same deal. If you're using a 1 handed melee weapon you use your charisma instead of your strength (or dex). Then with lifedrinker you deal extra necrotic damage.

What's even inside a Bag of Devouring?

I can't believe hexblade made it to the book as it is, it shits on every other patron

Same for Divine Soul

He just wanted you guys to have fun. RAW it wouldn't have worked as Wyverns are not intelligent enough for language. The INT check to mimic language is fine though, although a CHR (Performance) check should fit as well.

And it STILL won't satisfy gishfag whiners

This is the same company that shoved Mystics down our throat 3 times because weeabos wouldn't shut up about their super awsome psychic anime powers class.

Are you really surprised? Really, user?

Can you be a hexblade tomblock?

The perfect gish already exists anyway. It's called Paladin.

The fuck do Gishfags want? To be better at melee than a fighter while also being better at magic than a Wizard?

Even reddit and some posters on gitp are shitting on hexblade, only Mearls like it

Yes

What are issues with Divine soul? Is it because it wander into clerics territory, or is there more of it? Would that mean it is fine when there is no cleric in party?

I have weak spot for that one, because i lik the flavor.

You mean Tomelock? Yes.

Hexblade is ironically one of the best classes for NOT engaging in melee combat, lol.

>The fuck do Gishfags want? To be better at melee than a fighter while also being better at magic than a Wizard?
Yes.

Yes. The answer to your question is yes.

>What are issues with Divine soul?
It can learn spells from the Cleric's list

Neat! I don't know why someone would WANT to but you know it's cool that the option's there the options there.

How do? Do you mean fiend? What is the benefit of tome hexblade

Also what is the shadowblade spell

It breaks the unwritten rule of "blaster" casters having healing magic.

Which is honestly a load of shit anyway because Storm Cleric is already one of the most powerful blasters in the game.

You can also twin some memey spells like Healing Word and Cure Wounds, which is apparently the most broken thing in the world even though nobody complains when Lore Bard picks up Aura of Vitality from the Paladin list before the Paladin can even learn it.

Why the fuck do people keep saying Warlocks are full casters? Do these people never actually read the fucking book?

>B.. but they get 9th level spells
That's not the definition of a full caster you mongoloids. Full caster has a full caster progression, and draws its main strength from having a shit ton of spell slots and a selection of spells to choose from. Warlocks get 1 spell they can use daily for their 6-9th spells. No diversity, just that 1 spell. That is not a full caster.

In a class starved for spells? That's fine...I miss the Phoenix Sorcerer though.

The paladin is already a better fighter than fighter and it has some level of casting but gishfags whine it isn't 'castery' enough or they don't understand how to reflavour.

That is literally it, yes.

A devourer.

>class starved for spells? That's fine
No, you don't fix a class by making one origin better than others

Whats the most creative/fun way to play a bow rogue? And which archetype?

Do not it has to be some sort of elf due to bow proficiency, or a V.Human with bow use.

Free armor proficiency, a bonus to damage rolls with every hit of magic on your cursed target (which stacks with hex and doesn't require concentration), a shadowhound that denies the target the use of cover or stealth, and a bullshit armor ability that makes 50% of attacks against you miss if the target is cursed.

None of these actually require engaging in melee combat at all.

I could go for a more clever and tricky arcane gish rather than a smite monster. I don't give a shit about having most of the wizards current gimmicks.

Lore Bard. Thorn Whip Unto a branding smite or whatever. That spell from any list basically lets you do anything.

Paladin doesn't have fitting flavor, unless you use homebrew it a little. I am not really gish fag (only a little), but i feel it isn't the same.

EK7/Wizard X is IMHO much better, but it has weird scaling (little to no casting till 7-8), but you need to level up EK first because you need second attack and EK, which are signature features.

Paladin being halfcaster with heavy armor, martial weapons, smites and half-casting progression is really close, but IMHO it would need:
>Different spell list (and possibly bladesingers cantrips).
>Int as casting stat
>less healing and defensive support, more utility (possibly ritual casting) and offensive support.

>It can learn spells from the Cleric's list
So if there is no cleric in party, it is fine, right?

So the dream druid heal/buff/haste shit sounds pretty good. Plus easy teleporting and free dispel.

What's the catch, besides not getting to be a bear?

Point me towards the previous argument if I missed one

There is literally not a single reason to play a bow rogue. Hand crossbows will ALWAYS be superior to bows for you.

Valor bard or arcane trickster then. Grab ritual caster (wizard) if you want some of the standard wizard gimmicks. Or EK with that ritual caster. Or any caster with multiattack up to level 5/6 or whenever they get it and then rest of levels in rogue.

Do you know what Fun means? If I wanted try-hard efficiency I wouldve played an MMO or a MOBA.

Blade or AT

I personally think that ALL origins should get a thematic expanded spell list RAW storm sorcerer can't cast call lightning despite their whole thing being calling forth storms and stuff

Rogues can use shortbow by default. One die lesser damage isn't really an issue on Rogues, who deal most of their damage via Sneak Attack.

Wood Elf is awesome for rogues, though. Dexterity, 35ft movement, better hiding in forest, free Perception skill,...

>It breaks the unwritten rule of "blaster" casters having healing magic.
That's silly. Healing magic wasn't limited like that in the past.
My next campaign is going to involve a necromancer who devised how to cast healing spells during his study of life, death, and undeath. Before he can even properly "publish" his findings, divine orders slander him and label him an evil heretic- trying their utmost to kill him and destroy his work. The party slowly comes to find out that healing spells being limited to divine casters is a conspiracy orchestrated by a few divine beings.

Whats your favorite Patron/Pact combinations Veeky Forums?

thematic expanded spell list is one thing, being able to learn any cleric spell ever is another

Honestly, I don't see why you wouldn't just play a cleric to begin with. They have better armor proficiency, there are multiple clerics that can blast (Light/Storm), better hit dice, more spells known (basically the entire cleric list), ect.

Literally the ONLY thing Divine Soul has going for it is Meta-Magic, and despite all the theorycrafters whinging about how "broken it is", in actual practice a Cleric ends up being a much stronger character overall.

You'll have more fun with the same character concept, but just two hand crossbows instead of a single bow.

>Elven Accuracy is now great for everyone except Barbarian

Why? It made Barbarian elves viable and was a super interesting class/race combo.

Longbow makes me a sneaky elf, dual handcrossbows makes me either a drow, an edgefag or both.

>Honestly, I don't see why you wouldn't just play a cleric to begin with
Different flavor, huh.

How aren't barbarian elves not normally viable? Not like they don't need dex.

Eagle Barb Elves have always been viable. Sometimes they even use ranged weapons just to be annoying faggots.

Divine Soul is great for support, not blasting. And my concern is mostly about balance between Sorcerer's origins

Well, have fun making a single attack per round, I guess. Can't stop you.

Or Linkle

>two hand crossbows
How do you make this work? Forced into thief archtype so you can shoot, stow, bonus action draw, two-weapon fighting?

Fiendlock bladelock.
My favourite character I've ever played as well.

Tome GOO.

Something about an eerie book that others can barely look at, without feeling ill or getting an extremely unsettling feeling, despite not understanding anything written in it, just sounds exciting.

Wizards also only get one 9th level spell a day.

drive.google.com/file/d/0B40nce9YZ1MbZlpqMVp5bVJmTlU/view
No idea if this is balanced, but it looked cool at first glance.

jokes on you I'm already working on a oni-inspired race for my setting, which will replace both tieflings and orcs/half-orcs

Warlocks only get the selection of a single 9th level spell every, wizards can collect every wizard spell in the game.

Some characters have a higher Charisma than Wisdom.

>two hand crossbows
Have fun shooting twice then having to ditch a bow because you need a free hand to reload.

My point is, it's still a weaker character than a Cleric optimized to fill the same role, so you really shouldn't have any concerns over people whining that it's "overpowered". Unless they've also banned clerics or play with some super hardcore slow healing rules.

But they get several to choose from, and can switch them out if they need something different. And they have more spells of lower levels. A Warlock has a few 5th level slots at best.

A Warlock literally has 1 spell of 6th level, 1 spell of 7th level, etc.

Again, read the fucking book if you dont know what warlocks do.

Probably just two weapon fighting. Mechanics wise you load the weapon as part of your attack. Fluff wise you reload the crossbow with your other hand, even if you're holding a hand crossbow in it (this probably requires training and easy access to your bolts).

Why do you need a free hand to reload?

But they don't get wish which is practically a level 10 spell.
Not that druids or 'most' clerics get it either.

Currently playing Archfey Tomelock. The amount of fun things you can do is hilarious.

Should I go lock20 or is there a point Branching out to a different class is a better idea? Im eyeing up Bard for more hilarious versatility.

>How do you make this work?
Crossbow Expert feat removes Reloading from crossbows, so you don't need to reload anymore. It also says that when you attack with one-handed weapon, you can shoot with a hand crossbow as a bonus action. It never says "melee one-handed weapon".

Now, dual wielding crossbows is actually strictly worse than wielding just one hand crossbow and just shooting it twice (it doesn't say "a different weapon" either), but the things we sacrifice for style.

Because that's how the ammunition property works.

I'm playing a fiend chain pact right now and I'm really enjoying it, although I think my favourite combo is fey/tome.

You can't do that. Ammunition weapons specifically need a free hand to load the ammo. It's not "fluff" if you're changing/ignoring RAW. Crossbows can be preloaded, but you'll find that this benefit is extremely cumbersome to make use of.

>Crossbow Expert feat removes Reloading from crossbows, so you don't need to reload anymore.
Crossbows have a loading rule and an ammunition rule.

CBE only removes loading. Read up on ammunition.

>Fluff wise you ignore the rules :^)
Kill yourself

>But they don't get wish which is practically a level 10 spell.
Wish is a trap option. It either mimics a spell of up to 8th level, or explicitly lets the DM fuck you in the ass because your wording was slightly imprecise.

The loading property is what prevents crossbows from making more than one attack per action. It does not let you ignore the ammunition property that requires a free hand to load/interact with the ammunition.

Nope. Ignoring Loading doesn't suddenly change how ammunition works.

sageadvice.eu/2015/08/22/can-you-load-two-hand-crossbows/

>I'm an autist who hates fun
If a player wants to dual wield crossbows, I'll let him dual wield crossbows. It's not like it will make even a tiny difference.

They get better options and more options though...

A single spell with no option to ever change it from a limited list is the warlock, made worse by that being the case from 6th to 9th level spells.

Annnnnddd those spells cannot be used as slots for other spells.

I would love to play an archfey bladelock with moonbow. The idea of having the ability to choose a ranged or melee weapon to summon and being an actual fun arcane archer is pretty cool. Truly warlocks are the most adaptable class, save bard, and thematic and stylish at the same time.

Man, why are warlocks so fun?

I am also playing a fey/tome lock. What cantrips did you take? Did you take the ritual casting invocation? It doesn't seem to be too powerful to me but we also have a wizard in our party and they can cast most rituals.

Wish amazing for casting level 8 or lower spells without needing their expensive material components. Everything else about it is a trap, yeah.

Just got interested and read up on their spell list.

Jesus Christ do Warlocks have some shitty 6+ level spells... hopefully XGE gives them a bit more options, because that is just fucking terrible.

Does that mean you'd let me dual wield glaives with no penalty?

Pretty sure people who wana play Gish are edgy memelords and hate that the paladin oaths force them to follow rules.

No, because dual wielding glaives actually will make a big difference.

Oh boy, such quality posting.

Being entitled to your opinion, however wrong it may be, will not stop us from correctly calling you a shitty DM and a retard. Don't perpetrate your stupid among us.