/40krpg General/ Warhammer Role Playing Games General

For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War.
Not the wargame, not Chapter Master, not Space Hulk. Inquisitor is okay, but not many people know about it.

>Who's making the new 40k RPGs?
ulisses-us.com/in-development-wrath-glory-for-warhammer-40000-roleplay/
Ulisses-Spiel, very well known in Germany. It's set post Gathering Storm, uses a Shadowrun-esque D6 dice pool, and is a unified line with Marines, Humans, and Xenos all playable in the core book.

Book Repositories (If you're planning to download any Rogue Trader materials, read the .txt file in the RT directory)
mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg

There is a new Homebrew Megafolder option in above MEGA directory containing several things.

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armor and NPCs/adversaries. Not updated past DH2 core.
40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v6.48.161023), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Now includes all DH2e books.
mediafire.com/folder/i3akv9qx9q05z

The Good, the Bad, and the Alpha Legion (v1.1.2) (Total Conversion Deathwatch into the Horus Heresy)
mediafire.com/file/25l7bq3xcqczm81

Mars Needs Women! (v1.3.7) (Mechanicus Skitarii and Taghmata for Only War)
mediafire.com/file/bkh1982f96mzs9v

Fear and Loathing in the Eastern Fringe (V1.6.4) (Playable Xenos for Rogue Trader)
mediafire.com/download/fjhddohpscx1d7x

The Fringe is Yours! (v1.8.16) (More Xenos, Knights, and Horus Heresy gear for Rogue Trader)
mediafire.com/file/cu99mwnw75sw9y9

Opinions on this as an intro to a campaign?

In the depths of Hive Mythandros, vat-born Cheribums circle in the black sky. It is silent, interrupted by the crackling of hot vents and the yelps and shouts that rule the hive-dwellers’ minds. In the mid-hive port, The Sepulchre rests its void drives in anguish, it suffered a hazardous journey to the hive, but has had time enough to rest for months now, as an unseen hand – The Ordo Malleus – has sanctioned the hive under fears of a daemon-borne plague; the plague of desire. Short, firey gunfights are no longer an uncommon theme in the hive, and hushed voices whisper of a civil war between the upper-hive rulers and The Cult of The Stars – a group identified as tech-heretics by Arch Magos Xillus –. It threatens to control the upper-hive, and the fights of the lower hive merely act as an aggregate of the groups’ true political power. The Cult of The Stars is winning. An insurrection is not only a threat but an inevitability. Inquisitor Gellus, one of many representatives of the Ordo Malleus on Mythandros, holds the key to understanding the Hive’s truth, but will his retinue be able to perceive the truth written in the winds of change?

The campaign is ideally going to involve a daemon but I'm wondering if it should be under Ordo Hereticus for lore purposes.

Anyone have tips for balancing close, room to room combat?
It seems like all I can do is make enemies that get taken out immediately on opening a door or be tough enough to take on the initial volley only to be naded, taking out all tactics from the mix.
Should the rooms be larger maybe?
I'm lost and I probably sound pathetic.

Make them run or take cover. Close range combat in enclosed areas is a fast and brutal affair.

What's the context? If you're going for Stalingrad-esque warfare (which I assume based on your picture), it sounds like you have it about right. Swift and brutal death just behind the door. Let the enemies take the initiative and be the ones attacking sometimes, too.

Also, be sure the rooms aren't just empty boxes. Put in furniture and shit for combatants to take cover behind. Maybe pipes full of steam or water that sprays out if they get perforated.

Speaking of Stalingrad, I watched a documentary about it years ago. I remember an old Russian soldier said something along the lines of "The grenade is your best friend. He will gladly enter a room before you, so let him."

The problem is that cover (they're going from run down apartment to apartment) is pretty weak, stuff like tables and benches aren't all that strong and it pains me to incorporate ropes into my rpgs.
I suppose I could just use kitchen benches or something made out of concrete and that they've been making sandbags and ghetto barricades in the rooms...
Stalingrad is properly confusing stuff, one of my relatives told me that when they ran out of ammo they used to just bludgeon the Russians to death with bricks. That image always stayed in my head, and I'm trying to create a sense of the shitty supply lines affecting equipment to help with immersion.

Bump

Why is that Krieger look like he's at a fashion show for latest Kriegen trends?

Does anybody know of a RT making cheat sheet that has ship stuff from all the core books? The only ones I've found in the mega are one that has the core book only and another that is an autogenerator. I'm just wondering if I have to do something like this by hand or not.

Isn't that just normal Krieg get-up?

What jobs do a citizen of a hive world do? DO they just get free food and housing and shit?

The answer you'll most likely get is "depends on the hive". While this is true, the important thing to remember is to convey the oppressive, wasteful and merciless spirit of 40k with a bit of dry humour and irony.

Yes, jobs are plentiful, but the most jobs are unnecessary, pointless or utterly insignificant. Ridiculous job titles are great, something like 46th junior sub-assembler of the 5th production conveyor of the 17th cogwheel factory, probably worked by a man in his late 40s who's hoping 45th junior sub-assembler fails to fulfill the quota one month and gets sent to off to a penal legion so he can move up the ladder.

As for food and shelter - being a worker is a living hell as mechanicus are prone to calculate bare minimum requirements for sleep and nutrition to maximise work hours.

Comically exaggerate and add irony and you won't be wrong.

We're playing the introductory adventure in DH 2e and our group seems to be absolutely sucking yards of dick.
So far we've blown or inadvertently started combat with everyone we've met. We have no idea what's going on. We finally got to some kind of abandoned factory, found out there was a guy in it selling some kind of xenos (?) artifacts and raided the place. No enemy survivors. We were backslapping one another until the GM let slip there are still 2/3rd of the adventure to go?
How do we get good, Veeky Forums ?

I like it.

With room to room combat, it's safe to assume that things are going to be incredibly close, duh.

If that's the case, melee weapon users really shine. Average human has a charge of 9 meters, and a run of 18. Shotguns become invaluable due to how they work. If you really hate your players, have somebody with a flamethrower.

All in all, stuff like this makes me glad i homebrewed a rule for craftsmanship quality on grenades. Smoking out rooms is a fun strategy.

You only get good if the GM actually incentivises being good.
Cover and combat conditions, role playing and immersion are all the role of the GM, and if you're breezing through them even though you're not good the GM might want to reconsider toughness and/or actually applying tactical plays into npcs.

The starter campaign does suck for the GM because you have to railroad the outcomes of some events, so you were probably meant to kill those people and it was out of the GMs control.
tl;dr: you get good by being forced to in combat, and you get good at roleplaying by being in a role play friendly environment.

So maybe have a couple shovel wielding heretics next to the door and a shotgunner or auto gunner behind cover?
I was also considering having the players closed in on by other NPCs when the clear a room, how would I go about balancing an attacking party through that environment? Maybe have walls that aren't particularly strong so that the bottleneck of the door can be shot through?
This is beginning to remind me of that scene in the Dredd movie where they shoot the minigun through the entire block (but obviously I wouldn't let it be that nuts)

Tripwires, with or without traps attached. Awareness check or fall prone and stop in place, Acrobatics check to move quickly past.
Razor wire entanglements with positions nearby to shoot down at the PCs.
Concealed cultist assassins with chainswords who hide in rafters and drop down after party clear a room, to pursue and sneak up behind them.
Enemies who use grenades.
Snipers shooting into the building from elsewhere (even if no sniper rifle, two guys firing suppressive fire through the windows could be a timesink).
Cultists holing up in a building where grenades can't be used (fuel dump, etc).
Hostages

Attack animals

I feel like animal companions and their ilk are underrated in Tabletop and don't get enough shine. Everything is all fine and dandy until a drugged up pack of cyber mastiffs is barking at your balls

Hadn't considered traps, thanks for that I'll use it.
It would be fairly challenging for the enemy in my game to keep a pet during a war but yeah that'd be useful to use too

Yeah, sounds good.

Watch gameplay videos of Payday 2 and Rainbow Six Siege for ideas.

Any more specific advice, anons?

How much about machines is a part allowed to know before they get lobotomized in the imperium? Are minor repairs and generally being able to keep something running literally monopolized by Techpriests?

>How much about machines is a person allowed*

Even the advanced repairs aren't punished. The problem is that mechanicus mostly has a monopoly on actual info about it, so not many people can learn it outside the cult.
make it a normal sci-fi world with typical jobs and housing, but make it so that everything is shit. Like yeah, we haven't repaired this ship in 200 years, but hey, it still works and can be worked at.

>dark heresy/r.t./deathwatch are super fun with high letality and interesting casting system/fun setting
>no one wants to play in my area

Online not something you want to try, user?

I want to, but it's a problem with moscow time. I could look at r20 but doubt anything will come of it.

>I could look at r20 but doubt anything will come of it.
Well not with that attitude. Looking for games organized in the European timezones shouldn't be too hard.

I did, all I found were games at like 4-10 am. Probably prime time to kill myself

Have you tried schizophrenia?

He's taking about a hive world, nor a forge world. In the latter the basic needs are covered as far as necessary to get optimal production rates. Also the people there are cult members thus tend to love working.

Make it Hereticus, they actually cover everything, so it works
Tables and such still grant AP4, which combined with decent armor and T, gives good soak. If the players are not leading everything with grenades and flamers/shotguns, they deserve to die.

I'd honestly rather not

I've been wondering about this. The description for Hereticus says their primary targets are psykers and heretics, but doesn't that cover the territory of both Malleus and Xenos, in addition to non-warp/xeno related rebels? Rogue psykers and Daemons go hand in hand, and xeno artifact trading or genestealer cults could both fall under heresy.

Do you think the other Ordos bitch at Hereticus over jurisdiction creep?

Here you go, user:
Maleus
>demon invasions/greater deamons and shit
Hereticus
>cults and rogue agents/soldiers of the emperor and shit
Xenos
>xenos/xenos cults and shiet

Each ordos is more of a general guidline and all inquisitors are free to deal with all threats to the Imperium. This shit is mostly for them to know which one of them is good at what.

>Do you think the other Ordos bitch at Hereticus over jurisdiction creep?
Probably. As far as the ordos are concerned hereticus is the new kid on the block and probably gets shoved into space lockers all the time.

That's actually a major plot point, because all three of the branches creep into each others jurisdiction. More logical Inquisitors realise that the Ordo they're involved in doesn't matter, but how they complete their missions and how they handle situations does. I think they say something about this in the DH2E write up on Inquisitor Cabals, where Inquisitors of Ordos team up because they believe in handling situations the same way.

You could always have a hardline Inquisitor who gets homicidal when people step into his "territory" as it were. I don't know how Inquisitor infighting would be handled, though, as I only know so much about the lore.

Reposting some homebrew DH2e talents for interested parties.
>Eye for Weakness: Gazing at the ebb and flow of warp current around a target allows the Acolyte to strike out with precision at the correct moment, blasting through defenses and pulling the strings of fate to effect the world around her
>Tier 2/3
>Prerequisites: Perception 45
>Aptitudes: Perception, Psyker
>Effect: The character makes a scrutiny test -10 on a target as a Full Action. Success allows her to apply a penalty to opposed Focus Power tests equal to DoS x10, up to -60, or give a bonus to her Focus Power test with half DoS, rounding down, up to +30

>Wind of Destruction: The Acolytes speed and skill at arms is second to none, allowing him to strike foes and retreat before they can retaliate.
>Tier 3
>Prerequisite: Assassin's Strike
>Aptitudes: Weapon Skill, Agility
>Effect: The character can make a Charge attack against a target. Once the attack has been resolved, the character may move
the rest of his charge distance directly away from the target as a part of this action. The attack’s target cannot make a Free Attack against the character because of this movement.

Anyone got a guide to 2e character creation/optimization?

How important is it to get your aptitudes lined up properly for your concept? Am I going to get fucked by XP costs? I've never played this game before.

Just gone through this, played four or five sessions with new character.
Basically, double down on being good at your thing. Focus. If you're doing it a lot, you should have two aptitudes in it. Get your skills at +10 in your area of expertise rather than buying talents at the start. Jaded is good. Jump up is garbage. Las weapons are great because of ammo supply - if you need more dakka use burst fire. Your first action in combat should probably be to seek cover. The next actions will either be shooting or grenades.
Subtlety - agree as a group if you're shooting for 100 or 0. You control what kind of subtlety tests you want to go for as a group (high subtle means sneaky, low means threats and shock/awe) and there's no point being shitty at both kinds.
Stack bonuses wherever possible.
Set people on fire whenever practical.

>How important is it to get your aptitudes lined up properly for your concept?
Fairly, but you don't need double aptitudes across the board, you will pay for it later when you start to max out the stuff you want to excel at and learn you need some versatility.
It really depends on what you want to do, so throw an idea out.

>Leap up is garbage
I disagree, if only because being able to dive behind cover, then immediately get up and get back on the move can and will save your life when foes move in for melee.
I've watched enough prone characters get the absolute boots put to them often enough consider it one of the best tier 1 talents.

good catch, user. I hadn't considered the cover->move aspect. I'll reconsider my opinion.

I have a few ideas.

>Highborn Administratum Desperado

Desperado is a bit silly, but that seems to be the best for a social character, as Hierophant's a bit too up front for the concept.

Basically, the character would be a very low down noble, 257th in line of succession or something like that, who gets give a position in the Admin by the higher ups in the family so as to make himself useful. He schemes, politics, and generally gets up to bog-standard corruption stuff, until he find out that one of his Admin bosses is in some serious shit, and that the Inquisition's investigating. He provided useful information and wasn't actually involved in the heresy, so while half his department got purged, he got recruited. As I said, he'd be social focused, with experience in lying, conspiring, and getting people what they need. I'm not sure I want to take such an RP heavy role on my first time in, though.

>Voidborn Telepathica Mystic
Psykers seem cool, although I don't know whether psykers are the best way to learn the system. I'd also like to not blow up the party, if at all possible.

>Agri World Arbites Crusader
Start with shock maul, get a shield, and go be the law at people. A combat role seems to me to be a good way to learn the system, but I could be wrong. Alternatively, I could build a ranged fighter, but I don't even have a mechanical concept for that yet.

>Forge World Admech Chiurgeon
HA HA TIME FOR VIVISECTIONS. Also cybernetics and stopping people from dying, I guess.

They cut off my post.

As you can see, the desperado is my most developed concept, but that's because It was my first one after I read the bit about requisitioning in the rulebook. I could totally develop character for the other concepts.

The Desperado could swap to Seeker since you get to pick other (characteristic based) aptitudes if you get duplicates.

Anybody here from Atlanta

This.
For this concept, you basically need Social and Fellowship, I'd take Ballistic Skill for combat, and I'd take Intelligence to pick up Lores.
Beyond that, it's your choice.
>Psykers seem cool
Don't take a psyker as your first pc.
>Agri World Arbites Crusader
Solid for a CC type, good armor, great weapon to start with (shock mauls are surprisingly potent), built in survivability, and you can choose between face and lorewhore for a tertiary.
>cybernetics
This is why you play admech. Medics are less useful due to the 1 per 24 hour stipulation, but I consider Medicae one of the Essential Six Skills. They are:
Acrobatics
Athletics
Awareness
Dodge
Medicae
Stealth
All of the above skills should be at least trained. Each will literally save your life when the time comes, and I consider them the absolute baseline of a capable Acolyte that wants to serve the Emperor in the fashion they are called.
Tech-use almost makes the cut, as well.

Why does interrogation use Willpower?

You ever see how sweaty people get in cop movies?

No, why does 2E use Willpower as the stat to DO interrogations?

Eyo Shas, got a question about wargear in GBAL. The Headhunter prime gets a twin-linked bolter (among other things) but it doesn't specify the pattern (like it does for the terminator specialty). Additionally, what weapon profile do you use for those twin-linked bolters? Just the profile in the homebrew with the Twin-Linked weapon quality?

Yeah, player picks a pattern of bolter and adds the Twin-Linked quality. Unless a pattern is explicitly specified for something (like some armor patterns for terminators), the player is free to pick pattern.

Obviously this is not true for all hive worlds but the idea behind worlds like Necromunda is that they produce massive quantities of basic goods, stuff that does not require the high levels of technology a forge world provides. Stub pistols, mess kits, stuff like that

Thanks Shas. Apologies for all of the questions but I'm going to pretend that I'm helping refine the homebrew.

When I have time I will be releasing an updated version with all the fixes peeps point out. Not for a bit though. Lacking time.

I'm having some trouble with the RP Armory spreadsheet. Am I missing something, how do I open these? Yes, I've clicked on the plus icon.

I'm not using the limited free version of Excell at the moment.

Is your document edit-protected? Can't open the pluses if edit protection is on.

Nope, first thing I did was turn that off.

From what I remember (althogh please correct me as you see fit) the Inquisitors answer to higher inquisitors, and so if they start fighting both sides are within their rights to prosecute the other and their supporters as heretics.

I just copied it over to google docs and it's letting me open everything up it seems.

Horde user here from last thread
So after perusing the rules for formations in Only War, I think the following changes could applied to make them both more formidable to space marines and more fitting for non-canon fodder as well (when you want to represent something with +10 wounds decently well)

Formations roll their BS + x5 their strength as normal, but instead of simply hitting the same target multiple times, a bonus is applied to damage a la hordes, but it is dependent on the weapon in question. For each additional unit of a formation firing upon the same target, add their static damage (If an autogun does 1d10+3, then 3 is its static damage) OR 5 per d10 of the weapon's damage, whichever is smaller. This means that five renegades firing autoguns at one marine inflict 1d10+3+12 damage (additional 3 x 5)

I'm still not sure how I'd like to handle swift attacks or full auto with formations.

As for hitting a formation, you must take note of how much damage you inflict (whether you want to use horde armor or individual parts is your choice). D% roll for the opponent's max wounds, plus TB, minus damage inflicted. A success indicates the enemy has weathered your attack, a failure means you reduce the formation size by one.

You may still parry or dodge a formation, but like avoiding automatic fire, one DoS is one attacked dodged. If four kroot melee one marine and he dodges with 2 DoS, he only incurs the damage of one kroot. (4 - 1 for dodge success - 2 for DoS)

Because that's the characteristic defined as the one to use. Read Willpower.

Do the systems before BC forward use 1+DoS?
I had thought it was DoS alone?

Inquisitors do not have "rank", it comes down to respect for accomplishments, who you know and internal bootlicking.

No. Yes.

Aight, I was scared for a moment I had been doing it wrong for 4 years.

A valid concern given some minor, but significant, changes between system.

Nah, Inquisitors are all on the same rank, but not the same Influence. So yeah, feel free to shit talking on Lord-Commissar-General-Marshal Darius of the Dark Void the Demonraper, but don't be surprised if you get a visit from some "ork snipers"

How would you paper trail a tzeenchian puppeteering of people in a hive, I was thinking that maybe the people being controlled could each be vying to oust each other as heretics to gain more power or something?

Bump

One thing I did was lock doors so players need to break them down or unlock them (they can't sneak into rooms or find out what they are about to fight)
Chuck a couple of basic enemies in that can drop suppressive fire as soon as the door opens.

Also something I did last night while my party was fighting its way into the core of a hive was have some traitor legionaries following them. This removes the option of sneaking up to doors and listening at them with stephoscopes/peeking through keyholes and made it quite a good run and gun in my opinion.

bretty good.

The Ordos only matter if you have to deus ex machina the party out. Unless your group needs rescuing by Deathwatch/Greyknights/Sisters the Ordos that sends them there is just fluff.

Actually in several books there are Lord Inquisitors that are the highest inquisitors in their segmentum and their primary purposes are two fold, to settle disputes between the Ordos and to pass judgement on Inquisitors who have become too radical/heretical.

>Inquisitors who have become too radical

just have the ordo chronos settle things :^)

bump

Craftworlds are obviously big motherfuckers and they're all generally connected to the webway but I
can't find anything on how fast they can move through space themselves. Any ideas?

There is nothing that says they move at pulse faster than Imperial ships, it's their smaller craft that are more nimble.

hay, can someone explain to me how damages works. For what I understand

Damages
you get a total Hp
then when you get attacked on a body part you use this body part's armour to reduce damages
you apply the resulting damages on your character.

Critical
if you ever get below 0 Hp anytime you become unconscious. Then you roll on the critical table and get the resulting disabilities...

>if you ever get below 0 Hp anytime you become unconscious
this part is wrong; you're still up

>Then you roll on the critical table
this part is wrong too; that's not a roll, that's total amount of damage below 0

This. You also reduce damage by your Toughness Bonus on top of the Armour.

This.
Think of Wounds as representing lucky dodges, near misses, hits taken but ignored because fuck you.
Critical Wounds are when the hits you take land solidly, your stamina slowly being exhausted and injuries piling on.

Ok, then if you are at 0

You get shot on the right arm and go to -3 so you get the critical effect -3 on the arm (depending on the type)

Then if you get shot again that time on the leg and go to -7 you get the critical effect -7 on the leg not -4?

So that means that if i shoot you with a melta and go from 10Hp to -1 I only get the -1 effect but if after that my buddy shot you with a simple auto pistol and get you at -5 he get the -5 effect?

damage below 0 is cumulative,
so in your example you first get -3, then (after 4 more damage dealt) -7

It's cumulative based on body part.
If you get shot in the right arm and go down to -3 you take the -3 crit effect. If you get hit in the same arm for -2 more you go down to -5 for the -5 effect.

But then if you're hit in the head for 4, your head goes down to -4 and takes the -4 effect.

now this one is wrong

So you have a total Hp pool before 0 then you keep track of damages on all the body part separately?

>Then if you get shot again that time on the leg and go to -7 you get the critical effect -7 on the leg not -4?
Exactly. This is why True Grit is hard to get, but it is a fucking baller talent.

What would happen if a nascent Psyker was to turn themselves into Imperial authority rather than fleeing and going rogue?

wrong, see

Black Ships.
Before that depends on the planet in question.

First thanks for the help,

Second let me get a pseudo so it's easier to follow (an to show my clear racism for the whites, the joke being that on this fraking site you can't even know whether i'am serious or not)

Ok, then it's like I said, you cumulate damages and each time you get a new one, you add it to the previouses. You apply the new effect on the part that got the damage even if it's the first time it get hit.

yes
whichever part gets damaged, it goes to its relevant table

Huh, so it is. I wonder how I misread that.

Well thanks get some purity seals

>Spend hours thinking of how the connections between seemingly unrelated events unfold behind the scenes for my players.

>Players want to try and requisition an action figure of their Inquisitor.

Let them have fun, God Emperor.