How can giants be helpful to parties/kingdoms/governments? Not just combat, but shipping, transport, etc?

How can giants be helpful to parties/kingdoms/governments? Not just combat, but shipping, transport, etc?
What are some of the difficulties of keeping giants in the party/society?

(Inb4: "depends on the setting". Assume we are talking all types, ranging from 12 foot "small" giants, to Titans the size of small cities, and everything in between).

Other urls found in this thread:

karbo.deviantart.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

"Anything and everything involving giants is fetish material." -t. Salty user

You must be fun in campaign when the GM makes giants in encounters.

Well the obvious one would be in construction, a giant has a lot more dexterity than a crane and they've got fingers which can manipulate objects significantly smaller than their hand. Same for shipping/transport, instead of loading cranes just use giants.

Downsides are that they probably need to eat an enormous amount of food so your infrastructure would need to take that into account.

The OP literally has a fetish giantess pic

Just imagine a giant being assigned to buokd part of a town, so they get what woukd essentially be a hobby table and build stuff, like someone making terrain for 40k or wargames.

If OP didn't want to get this kind of a reaction, he shouldn't have posted a fetish pic.

the op is literally a fetish picture, possibly from /d/.

Well, they can swallow criminals whole in front of everyone as a form of public execution and the resulting scat will make the fields fertile and bountiful.

This is exactly my fetish.

I'm actually working on a setting currently where humans and giants are the same species, with most human settlements supporting at least one Giant, more if they're larger. The main restriction is that the larger a giant grows, the more they take to feed, so small villages might have a 12 foot Giant, while a big city might have a huge colossus. Giants help in construction and heavy labour, warfare or defence, but also, due to immense age and great memory, act as a repository of knowledge, with ancient giants remembering histories or other bits of useful knowledge, passing it on to their people as they reach the end of their lifespan, so a new Giant may be taught and remember in turn.

Wouldn't be too useful at sea because of the extra infrastructure required to board a giant on a ship. Would be very helpful over land as manual laborers, depending on the size could even cross mountains with relative ease.

It's a fetish image made by a vore artist

Old anime I'm watching (Robotech) touches on that.

> Implying half the /general/ cover pics aren't sexual. >Implying sexual covers aren't most of Veeky Forums.

Woah, it usually takes 14 hours for the first vorefag to pop out, this is a new record!

Staying on topic though, that isn't a bad idea, actually. It is VERY magical, but, it could work. Cut costs on incarceration, lower the amount of food you have to give her, and, depending on how strict the laws are, may help keep the population in check.

Also, your other suggestion would help farms out a fair amount.

What about giants wearing cargo and/or transportation modules? Cargo may be easier, basically swimming with a backpack, but a removable module that they strap on while they swim would make for a fairly efficient ship.

I like this concept, different giant size for different towns.
Question though, do the giants grow to bigger sizes over time and, if so, do they grow too big and then go to a bigger town, or do they grow at about the same rate the town does? Or is it magic and they literally grow with the town inherently?

We're going with more magic than anything like realistic biology, but the basic idea is that a giant grows in proportion to how much they're fed. They can't shrink, so a town that overfeeds its giant might end up unable to support it, but keeping a giant on a stable diet means their size won't change much.

Post-Space War One Zentradi are prettu much exactly what you want, just without miclonization.

>her
>implying I said anything about gender
>implying it isn't your fetish too
Methinks the lady doth protest too much

Seems like a reasonable approach, but swimming takes energy and sailing in principle doesn't. Whether or not it's more efficient depends largely on how much they have to eat.

>Whether or not it's more efficient depends largely on how many of your men they have to eat.
FTFY

My favorite part of this pic is the earplug so that the cannons by her ears don't make her go deaf.

Titans could be couriers with their enormous strides. Small to medium giants can hit a sweet spot of carrying goods/transport people without needing horses and wagons while being large enough to fight off bandits themselves. Construction and farming were already mentioned. Maybe helping out the lumber industry by busting down trees with their super giant stronk.
Just got here, and I have to say, kind of a dick move of you guys to come into a thread and not contribute to the topic AT ALL.

It's also a dick move to use Veeky Forums as your personal masturbation board when plenty of red board's already exist

Preserved meats have better calorie density and are easier to store. Humans aren't really practical as a food source.

Go home, /d/eviant.

>preserved meats
Does that mean you can keep a giantess loyal by letting her snack on some mummies?

Alright, I can tell you're slow, so let's take a look at that OP one more time.
>How can giants be helpful to parties/kingdoms/governments? Not just combat, but shipping, transport, etc?
>What are some of the difficulties of keeping giants in the party/society?
>(Inb4: "depends on the setting". Assume we are talking all types, ranging from 12 foot "small" giants, to Titans the size of small cities, and everything in between).
Now, point to me where that post makes any effort to be masturbatory instead of a valid Veeky Forums topic. Then tell me how you would respond to such a post.

The giant mermaid will do what you want as long as you give her food that tastes better than raw whale meat.

So fatty yet crunchy humans?

>Now, point to me where that post makes any effort to be masturbatory instead of a valid Veeky Forums topic.
His use of giantess vore fetish art for the OP

I don't see any vore taking place, I see a giant mermaid being used as a ship. Get your mind out of the gutter you perv.

You are not fooling anyone, degenerate.

You still haven't contributed to the thread because you can't understand that a fetish picture can still fit a thread topic on a blue board. What a paragon of intellect.

She'd probably prefer cows. They have a lot more meat on them.

>naked giant chick eyeing the enemy ship while drooling and licking her lips
>drawn by a well known vore artist to boot
>NUH UH NOPE NITHING FETISHY ABOUT IT NO SIREE
You're not fooling anyone

It depends less on the setting and more on how much food the giant needs to eat. If it has a normal biological metabolism for its size, usually the best thing it can do for a society is fuck off and stop wasting its food.

But, if your giant is some sort of stone giant or primordial giant or titan or some other kind of pseudo-magical creature that can sustain itself, then there are many ways that giants can help. They can perform feats of architecture very easily, depending on their size. They might draw their fingers through the dirt and create new irrigation canals, or lift heavy blocks for pyramids/monuments that would take 50 men to move with ropes.

Then, of course, there is the matter of warfare...

Sailors aka sea men.

>I don't see any vore taking place
Vore fetishist here, I can vouch that this is exactly what your image is. Giantess vore.

educate yourself
karbo.deviantart.com/

>Karbo likes Made in Abyss
we're in for some goodies

Okay but where's the vore

I'm here to promote peace and love.
There's no vore here.

>Accepting another into you wholly and utterly until only Oneness remains
>not loving

Uh-uh
okay
any worldbuilding ideas that do not involve utter Oneness? Anybody?

Man, remember those succubus goddess threads about the secretly succubus goddess who digested her followers' souls into assfat?

That shit was hot.

Just read Gulliver's Travels.
>Royal palace catches on fire
>Gulliver pisses on it to extinguish the fire

that shoulder armor doesn't make sense - the moment she raises hand above shoulder height shes gonna stab herself in face

Close-but-still-distinct twoness?

>Post-Space War One Zentradi are prettu much exactly what you want, just without miclonization.
Did somebody mention Meltran?

Human/Giant relationships should be very different from inter-human relationships.
Giants are ancient and large, looking at the world from a different perspective and having evolved a completely different psychology.

Could a human and a giant fall in love. Maybe, theoretically. You've got weirdos everywhere. But it'd be like falling in love with a statue or dog.

What if humans created the giants?

Humans are too smart to create giants. Only evolution can do something like that.

What are the applications for giant replicants?

I think those spike's are part of the wall? They're more in the scenery's palette than the character's.

That is...huh, go on

Explain what you mean, giant copies of people?

Replicant is a slur, they prefer to be called Synths or Bioroids.

As for applications, the square cube law is still a bitch for all giant platforms on almost all planetary environments with high gravity, but giant meat bodies have the advantage of a density slightly lower than water, which helps a bit, especially if they are aquatic.

I have no idea how that one manages to stand unless it cheats with muscles and bones made out of less dense more strong materials that might not be strictly organic.

Also, The Ground pressure on those heels must be atrocious. She'd break most city streets and get stuck in the mud easily.

>Bioengineered giantess amazons
I can dig it

>I have no idea how that one manages to stand unless it cheats with muscles and bones made out of less dense more strong materials that might not be strictly organic.
I would assume they have better material sciences if they can make them, also yeah, a heavy degree of cybernetic enhancement is likely, though depending on their bioengenering skills the line between bio- and cyber- may be blurred

>Also, The Ground pressure on those heels must be atrocious. She'd break most city streets and get stuck in the mud easily.
Sacrifices must be made for fashion user

>Replicant is a slur, they prefer to be called Synths or Bioroids.
WE-ARE-BIO-MEN

>Downsides are that they probably need to eat an enormous amount of food so your infrastructure would need to take that into account.
Personally, I'm inclined to assume the dietary needs of giants are -- while certainly substantially greater than an ordinary person -- not nearly as great as one would realistically expect for their stature. The discrepancy being greater the bigger they are.

Simply because if you actually follow that line of thinking to its logical conclusion, you wind up with giants simply being ecologically unsustainable, and therefore nonexistent in any setting that tries to seriously handle their realistic dietary needs. It goes hand in hand with the square-cube law issues in the realm of "realism spoiling fun".

>Simply because if you actually follow that line of thinking to its logical conclusion, you wind up with giants simply being ecologically unsustainable, and therefore nonexistent in any setting that tries to seriously handle their realistic dietary needs. It goes hand in hand with the square-cube law issues in the realm of "realism spoiling fun".
Yeah, I tend to assume either there's some megafauna/flora able to support them in setting or "Something something fueled partially by magic/scifi babble"

Maybe they're true omnivores in the sense that not only can they eat anything organic, but even some inorganic materials and synthesize sunlight.

So that really is in the book...

>This obvious fetish bait thread...AGAIN
Well whatever I'll bite OP
I had an idea for a world that has giants and I wanted to bounce the ideas off of anybody that cares to read this.
>Giants are not supernatural just another branch of the human family tree
>Various species of giants exist coming in different sizes and with different physical characteristics (some look almost completely human, some are more ape looking, some are quadrupeds)
>Giants while almost universally less technologically advanced than humans they're levels of intelligence varies between species as does the technology they use.
>Some giant tribes are hostile to humans and other giants others are willing to cooperate
>Largest giant species are 20 feet tall smallest are 8 feet tall
>Largest species of giants are also the least intelligent being little more than animals
>giants are generally slower the larger they are and also need to spend more of their time eating large quantities of plants inn order to maintain themselves.
>Giants have very long gestational periods (2 years for the largest species)
>Campaign revolves around the efforts of a farming village in the mountains to educate a feral giant tribe and get them to aid them in their harvest and protecting the village from bandits in exchange for teaching the giants about agriculture (to which the giants seems like druidic magic)
Any thoughts?

I never finished the knights of sidonia manga, did humans create the gana? or are you just referring to Tsumugi specifically?

>What are the applications for giant replicants?
Turning giant screw with giant screwdrivers?

I'm starting to feel like this is the new elf slave thread.
>giant slave wut do

Well I see nothing wrong with it from the get-go. The restriction to 20 feet allows for... semi reasonable consumption rates, and a campaign based around them seems pretty fair.
Minor Nitpick, I am curious why the larger giants are less intelligent, given bigger brains.

Let me tell you a story.

A story of the Man with the Shovel.

It so happened that a giant, Iron Shovel, is by far the most useful tool a Giant could have in the assisting and defending of a nation.

With it, huge amounts of earth can be dug up. New open pit mines, rivers, quarries,foundations for castles and cities done with a single scoop that would take scores of men months to do. Terrain flattened and raised at will. Its sharp edges could be used to hew down trees. In times of Flood, barriers and ditches are dug. In times of Fire, barriers and ditches are dug while sand or water is flung at the flames. Acres of Farmland tilled in moments.

And of War, the Shovel is still the Giants friend.

Imagine, scooping into the earth which what to you may seem but dirt and pebbles, but to the enemy are huge boulders and hills. Flinging it at literal hurricane speeds, more powerful than a hundred catapaults, literally burying portions of armies under its weight. Not to mention the panic and terror of a giant man turning the flat end of a shovel down on you, too fast and too large to dodge. Castle walls crumble under the onslaught, or are rendered useless as his gigantic shovel literally undoes them at their fonudation, ripping them out from the ground. Or be too large for that, he simply piles up a ramp of earth next to the wall for soldiers to walk up and onto. Defenders are easily brushed aside by the eternal range of this weapon. Soldiers are protected from arrow fire and catapaults by holding it above their heads.

Even in naval battles, with a few swings of his sword he scatters ships, or flounders them with a downpour of tonnes of water. It extends his reach, allowing him to simply poke and drown ships to the bottom.

His clothing of mere leather is more than enough to stop any arrow, and would he wear true armor, even cannon balls and musketry.

It wasn't the Sword or the Mace which proved the most deadly weapon for the Giant against lesser foes, but the shovel.

>I am curious why the larger giants are less intelligent, given bigger brains.
Because their brains are smaller proportionally to their bodies the smaller ones have greater brain to body mass ratios.
Human beings already have difficult births due to the size of a baby's cranium and large mammals also have difficult long term dangerous births having both problems at once seems to stack the odds against them a bit too much. Also I imagine a heavier skull would screw with their balance a bit, also having human level intelligence in the largest of giants would maybe give them too much of an advantage, finally I had this idea in mind of them being analogous to whales in the setting in that they will be these enormous creatures that they are intelligent (just not as much as the others) somewhat docile in demeanor but often ending up the victims of other species leaving them on the verge of extinction.

Ah, that seems pretty well justified. Great stuff!

Breed them for food.

What if they start eating you instead?

I want to see more elaboration about how giants can be used in settings outside of combat as that's really the most obvious one for them. Hopefully we can keep it from going back to vore or other magical realms.

going back to The more advanced the civilization, the less useful giants are in combat. At a certain point firepower is accounted for and a giant is nothing more than a big target.
I remember some history trivia about how the invention of the cannon united europe into much larger kingdoms. Because castles became less useful and battles started to come down to who had the most guys and resources, meaning the biggest kingdoms were able to expand aggressively, becoming even bigger and more able to expand to even more. I imagine it's these first large kingdoms that had enough resources to sustain giant infantry.
So you're looking at a specific timeframe from the beginning of unification until the development of better long range weaponry for giants to be combatants. Before that they weren't really part of human life and only needed some rare self defense against threats that weren't intimidated by their size and after that they were already losing a lot of relevance in a changing world had been finding their niche elsewhere.
Or maybe it was giants that broke the game of fortifications and sieging and canons were never invented, leading to a technological stagnation as everybody relies on their giants for all defense needs.
Besides their size they also have long lifespans and great accumulated wisdom going for them. That could have an impact. Perhaps giants are the leaders of men, accumulating resources like kings and being able to live of their elevated position in human society. Perhaps 'fighting a giant' doesn't mean going toe to toe with a really big guy, it means rebelling against a kingdom and getting past countless minions.

Well, I want to see more elaborations on vore

Eat them back

Depending on your setting,

You could have everything be Giant sized, or at least a large amount of the world/setting is. In that case, you’d need a Giant to be around not just for security, but to get around.

Think about it, if there is a Castle or other building for Giants, they might have a few areas that only they can reasonably give Humans access to. They’d be living escalators and ladders, able to put Humans on higher perches to work as guards or lookouts without the risk of a competing group of Humans infiltrating the place and killing their early warning system.

Depending on their overall strength and size, I could see them being able to do numerous tasks for larger cities. Instead of having to schedule and bring in numerous different vehicles for a project, an established city like New York or Paris or Hong Kong would benefit from a Giant Handyperson, so to speak, who can move cables and earth and whatever garbage people leave on the street in one fell swoop

They wouldn't be that much better than mechanical ladders. Think about how much space giant standing in place to give a human a boost would take up.

>advanced aliens attempt to colonize the galaxy after escaping from their own universe, soon to be uninhabitable due to the Big Crunch
>the extreme spatial compression of their collapsing universe, combined with the gravitational rift they used to escape it, resulted in their colony ships being massively and permanently shrunk
>the aliens were unaware of this effect until one of their ships encountered a human
>you, of course, knew none of this when you adopted the tiny spaceship and its millions of terrified inhabitants
>you thought it was just an abandoned toy

For the Giant lifts thing, just imagine that the area is specifically designed for them. No ladders or other such things available, rooms and facilities only available if a Giant lifts you up to it.

For example, say a castle like the one in your image used the massive bricks that were used in the pyramids. A Giant might move one to expose a hidden chamber and would be the one who gives a Human or two access to it, no other way to move the brick or reach it available to a Human.

Obviously, the rest of the world would have ladders and ropes and all sorts of ways to get to that area in normal circumstances, but just not at that moment.

Would they attempt to communicate with you through your cell phone? How would they present themselves as?

He also basically develops a horse fetish by the end.

Yeah, I think it's part of the wall as well.

Here's some really dangerous shoulder armor.

I was about to say that the noise created by those cannons would seriously hurt that mermaids hearing then I noticed the ear plugs. I'm glad the artist thought of that.

>some are quadrupeds
I had an idea similar to this
basically, a bunch of giants ended up trapped on an island a good distance from the mainland, after a fuckload of inbreeding, degenerated into a bunch of mammoth sized abominations

gross
but I like supernatural giants
I like how giants are used in older folklore, basically the evil version of a god.

I remember somebody writing a story based on that picture. Anybody saved that?

>the aliens try to communicate with you a few weeks later
>partly because they didn't understand your language at first, partly because they weren't sure if you were friendly
>the alien ambassador is clearly unhappy about their situation, but admits that it wasn't your fault
>after explaining who they are and where they came from, he asks if you still want to keep them
>none of their colonization plans accounted for their new scale, and living with a giant is starting to look like the safest alternative

I'm glad you're glad user. Things are better when people are glad.

>Being this salty over a drawing of a giant seamaid ship.

She isn't even on her back preparing to be boarded as some Jolly Rodgerer sails up to plunder her booty.

It is the cutest part of that pic

Nah, the cutest part is the follow-up where she's dumping the enemy crew into her wide open mouth

Is there actually a follow up picture?

No

That's a terrible idea, if nothing else, clones and artificial creatures are soulless abominations. You'd have to find some way of giving it a soul...

Only if you make them wrong