/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

Welcome to the D&D 5th Ed. General Discussion Thread

>Xanathar's Guide Table of Contents
web.archive.org/web/20171016180500/https://www.dndbeyond.com/members/BadEye/articles

>Forge Cleric - Xanathar's Guide
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/DnDXL2017_Forge.pdf

>Unearthed Arcana: Fiendish Options
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA_FiendishOptions.pdf

>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/...

First for hexblade tomelock being the new meta!

Second for it being not enough for gishfags and bladelock whiners.
>Hh-h-h-hexblade makes fiendlocks bladelocks pointless!

What does it even mean?

Fourth for Mearls not listening to our complaints that the Hexblade's features were frontloaded.

Sixth for Redemption Paladin having been gutted of everything that made it interesting

Well actually Baba Lysaga has pipes of something or other while Castle Ravenloft has got a Doss Lute

I don't understand this mindset. Don't people realize how many different ways they can play a "gish" in this game?

I'm going to be playing as a wizard with some weird homebrew class bearmonkfighterbarbarian, and a human paladin. Any tips on spells? The game uses spell points, and I'm not sure how that can affect things.

You can easily have 16-19 AC and still be an EB turret, while non-Hexblade warlocks are locked with light armor.

Post new hexblade

Absorb Elements
Mage Armor
Shield
Find Familiar
Tenser's Floating Disk
Magic Missle

Rate my handout game

Rate my feat /5eg/, please...

Focused Mind
Prerequisites: Spellcasting, Intelligence 15, Wisdom 15
• You can cast and maintain spells that require concentration equal to half your proficiency bonus.
• You may use your reaction to have advantage on one of your Concentration checks, you may not use this feature again until you finish a short rest.

He didn't listen to YOUR complaints. What they listen to is the feedback. They don't troll forums looking for autists opinions. They have been real clear about this point in many interviews.

They have really tied themselves to this feedback thing. It is like their new mantra. For good or bad.

Part 2.

Sigrun is asking for it

>You can cast and maintain spells that require concentration equal to half your proficiency bonus.
What does this mean? Please use vlearer english.

No.

I think it was 2 or 3
we knew she was coming so we set an ambush for her
I got my reaction and used a tripping attack from 30ft
she failed
when it got back to my turn I ran up to her and handcuffed her
then her snakes bit me unconscious and we killed her

>Homebrew
It's shit.

Two concentration on level 9 and three on 17.

Fuck no, this would fundamentally break the game. Remember, Sorceror is shit, but being able to have two of the same concentration spell means they still see play.

I'm not sure what you are trying to do here. What is the purpose of the feat?

>You can cast and maintain spells that require concentration equal to half your proficiency bonus.
Are you fucking CRAZY?!

Broken ass fuck.

I would rephrase it. Maybe add "a number" after maintain, and add that you round down.
It's also overpowered.

You thought 1 wall of fire was enough? Take 3 of them

Does everyone needs a "The Noun" title following their names?

>Anonymous the Faggot
They just don't want you to feel alone.

Never mess with concentration rules EVER. It breaks the game too quickly when a caster can concentrate on multiple spells at once, for example, a Sorcerer could Twin a Haste then next turn Twin a Fly and now there are 4 people buffed by this feature. Don't even get me started with stuff like Wall of Force. Also, the second feature is pointless because of War Caster.

No, titles like that should be earned

Of course, it's a viking game. If you don't have a nickname, it's because you were born dead. And even then, you'll probably get one.

no

Please leave and never return.

I hate concentration rules, desu. Just because I cast a Globe of Invulnerability or Wall of Fire doesn't mean I should have to sit out the rest of the encounter.

t. Sad Sorcerer

>Mogra the Shy
Is she?

You can go back to 3.5, the casterfag edition, any time.

But you don't? Just use spells that don't require concentration ie. Fireball

You don't have to, throw some fireballs or lightning bolts, nothing's stopping you

>taking literally no non-concentration spells
>the system's fault
Don't blame the rules for you being a dumbass

I made a sorcerer that doesn't use spell slots or spell levels. It's a lot of text since it includes the new magic powers too, but feedback is appreciated.

It's a joke title. You know how tall guys get called Tiny or fat guys get called Slim? It's like that. Mogra is a known sexual tyrannosaurs.

If you were a druid you could take sunbeam, its like lightning bolt once a round for a minute, all it needs is your concentration

>1 1st
>2 1st
>3 2nd
???

Twin your spells. You can Twin buff spells that target one creature (Like Haste) and debuff spells (Like Hold Person) to make it target multiple people in one casting. Do this don't mess with the concentration rules please, you will break your game beyond repair as casters dominate.

>requires spellcasting, level 12 (this really does nothing) Wis 17, Int 17 and Cha 17
>You can now concentrate on two spells at once, as long as you do so you have disadvantage on concentration saving throws made to maintain either spell.
I jacked up the opportunity cost, nerfed it and I'm still pretty sure it's OP

>a joke title
Is that why all my friends call me faggot?

No, user. They're trying to get you to take a hint. It's not like the intervention worked.

no, that's not why.

It's what level of spells can be cast.

The first two points spent are effectively a 1st level spell, and then it scales linearly from there, otherwise it's really hard to dispell or counter.

>sexual tyrannosaurs

Okay fags I appreciate the feedback, how about this instead.

Focused Mind
Prerequisites: Character Level 9th, Intelligence 15, Wisdom 15
• For 1 minute or until you lose concentration, you are able to maintain spells that require you to concentrate up to an amount equal to half your proficiency bonus, you may not use this feature again until you finish a long rest.

Alright, lads, claims your waifus

Have you taken a look at the spell points variant in the DMG yet?

>Alright, lads, claims your waifus
All of them.

Don't be greedy, you can only pick one.

First look through was quick but it seems like you have way too few Sorcery Points to do anything.

You cast and metamagic from the pool and it's simply not enough to do much. Spending HD instead to get SP instead of HP is absolutely trash and will never let you heal. Bump up the Sorcery Points to a reasonable amount.

I am still just imagining a bard taking this and having 2 or 3 auras of vitality going at once

Still breaks the game. Just concentrate on one spell at a time.

>Focused Mind
>Prerequisites: Character Level 9th, Intelligence 15, Wisdom 15
>• Annihilate one encounter, you may not use this feature again until you finish a long rest.
Fixed it.

Fuck you, nigga. I claim them all.

>requires spellcasting, level 12 (this really does nothing) Wis 17, Int 17 and Cha 17

I don't know if anyone can get a 17 in three stats with any ease or without magic items.

>You can now concentrate on two spells at once, as long as you do so you have disadvantage on concentration saving throws made to maintain either spell.

Still not a fan see , War Caster makes it so you are now at a neutral d20 roll, or if the caster got the Lucky Feat they are able to make that Disadvantage work for them in their favor.

user don't do it, you will regret this feat regardless of how high the Pre Requirements are. There are just too many OP things that can come out of a feature like this.

>Wall of Force + Any DOT concentration spell
>Wall of Force + Any Buff Spell
>Hold Monster/Hold Person + ANY DOT AOE spell
>Haste + Fly
>All of this can be twinned by a Sorcerer.

You've basically just redone spells without really gaining much flexibility. Either simplify it down to a handful of very broad powers or just use the Spell Point variant and keep spells.

Except the idea of you being able to REALLY do nothing in future fights because you blew through all your spells casting non-concentration stuff.
This is just life for a caster though.
Playing a Bard my combats tend to go
Rd1: AoE or strong single target concentration debuff.
Rd2+: Viscious mockery I guess?

Thank God I also have cutting words or I'd probably shoot myself from boredom.

Still broken.
Stop trying to break the game, you're not supposed to cheat concentration.

Concentration is a very core mechanic to keep casters in check, don't fuck with it.

If anything this should be a wizard capstone (level 20) but personally I'd just not. No.

>Only rolling 5
You were clearly fucking weak as shit, this is like an old man with a butter krnife
Also, 5 is enough to kill you or me instantly according to D&D world. So even though he fucked up big time, he still managed to kill a mundne person.
What's the problem?

Quick question, /5eg/. As near as I can tell, the highest possible modifier to a skill check in 5e is a 17-20th level Bard or Rogue with 30 Dexterity and Expertise in Stealth under the effects of Pass Without Trace:

+6 Proficiency
+6 Expertise
+10 Dexterity
+10 Pass Without Trace

For a total of +32.

Does this map out, or can anyone think of anything higher?

Could be balanced if it was a Metamagic instead of a feat, and required that the combined level of the spells couldn't exceed your maximum spell level. That way, the best you could get is a wall of force and a wall of fire at level 17, and couldn't stack with Twin.

How are you getting 30 Dex?

Just leveled up, what are some good 3rd level wizard spells? I'm considering Animate Dead, but I am a little worried about social repercussions.

So my GM is letting me play a Revised ranger using the No-Spells combat superiority rules in the Ravenloft setting.

What advice would you give someone trying to go full Good Hoonter? I was thinking of being a filthy dexfag and going full Belmont, using a whip and crossbow once feats get online, but I wonder if it would be more efficient for the slaying of beasts to just bully them with athletics and big swords. Colossus Slayer seems like the best option since most creatures will probably be stronger but not necessarily bigger, and favored enemy: Humanoids since that's what werewolves clock in as.

Not sure what to do for combat maneuvers, though, since they're somewhat limited and I'm not too familiar with them. Menacing Strike to spook puppers sounds like fun but I'm not sure what's the most efficient, feinting to get advantage? Parry to limit how much damage you take?

>30 dex
h-how?

Reading a book of stat increase 5 times, I assume

there's a feat in mercer's Taldorei campaign book that lets you focus on 2 things at once but at a risk.
worth a consideration, although your gonna want Con save prof if you dont already have it, and Warcaster is pretty much mandatory

Dual-focused
Prerequisite: The ability to cast at least one spell

Countless hours have been spent training your mind to maintain focus on concurrent incantations, taxing as the process may be.
• If you attempt to cast a spell that requires concentration while already concentrating on an existing spell, you can maintain concentration on both spells simultaneously.
• If you take damage during this time, you must make a concentration check for each spell individually.
• At the end of each turn where you have two spells you are concentrating on, you must make a Constitution saving throw (DC equals 8 + both spells’ levels combined). On a success, you maintain concentration on both spells. On a
failure, you lose concentration on both spells.

Laaaaaaaaaaame

>blew through all your spells
I usually only ever use one spell a combat (for offense, I'll use others for healing) with my druid, which is usually call lightning or sunbeam, maybe heat metal if I'm feeling saucy

>REALLY do nothing in future fights because you blew through all your spells casting non-concentration
That's what we can "Resource Management", user, every character has to deal with it.

How about you just ask your DM if you can trade an ASI to remove concentration from one to two spells in your spell list, DM approved, with the caveat that you can't cast them together. Whether you get one or two depends on how good they are at fucking with balance.
Don't try to make it a modular rule that other people can use.

Get Guidance for another 1d4.

>we can
call*, fuck.

Use Guidance on Guidance to add 1d4 d4s to your d4 roll.

In lieu of scythes in 5e, what's the spookiest weapon to weild as a specter summoning, curse bringing warlock?

Okay so two threads ago I posted some homebrew Eldrtich Invocations and said I would tell the brewer about the issues you guys had. This was his response.

Greataxe refluffed as scythe

book of stat increase caps stats at 22
only Barb can reach 24 in a stat without other outside abilities/dm tricks

A new player is coming to my table, I told him he could have one uncommon magic item since he's not starting at level 1 but he doesn't want to pick anything from the DMG. He wants me to make something up for him. What are some fun but not technically useful ideas?

Bardic Inspiration will work too, right?

Glaive refluffed as scythe

Shovel.

Yup. So another 1d12.

I dunno, tell us anything about his character?

Is it me or are the metallic dragons especially Gold, Silver and Bronze just flat out more powerful than their Chromatic counterparts?

Show me on the books of stat increase where it says they cap at one use

Greataxe of healing
>+1 magic greataxe
>heals the victims of its attacks for somewhere between 1hp and 1d12 hp

Same, Hypnotic Pattern, Pyrotechnics, or even a Faeri Fire (a team favorite) tends to be my one combat spells
Little different since most get their things back on a short rest.
About to hit 7th and I'm feeling the grip a bit less, but seeing as how we actually do the 6-8 combats between long rests there are still times I'm hesitant to cast more than one.
At 7th I have a total of 11 slots. If we have eight combats then I can cast one each, and two on three. If you go over even once and cast two on four encounters you've effectively taken yourself out of a combat for one of the combats.
Like I said, at 7th its much less an issue but I'm way more used to lower 3rd level games. And on those you get 6 slots for eight combats. Pretty harsh if you ever need to spend two slots in one combat. Hope you like casting cantrips

The other Pact of The Blade Invocations I missed.

I mean with their affinity to not be evil I'm not complaining