First time on Veeky Forums so no bully. How does one start playing d&d (or any other table top)...

First time on Veeky Forums so no bully. How does one start playing d&d (or any other table top)? It seems like no one is willing to work with new players and it's impossible to find a group to play with, especially if you're new. I don't have any friends who play so am I doomed?

Other urls found in this thread:

goblinoidgames.com/index.php/downloads/
d20srd.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Go to your local gaming store. They almost always have open groups/newbie groups.

Well, you could probably start with the Adventurer's League - I don't care which bumfuck town you live in, there is one in there.
But it's only a start. After a while, it's time to put on your big boy pants and either find a group, or start your own.

Go make nerdy friends. Gaming is much better with people you like and can get along with.

Do you not have friends with the same sort of interests as you?

pretty much what everyone else has said
also be patient and keep trying, finding good people can take a while but they are out there.

Lurk around Veeky Forums for a Looking for Group thread.

OP what you want is Dungeon World. It's fast, with a strong core mechanic built to enhance the story, not restrict it like the shitty D&D mechanics. Failure in Dungeon World is actually interesting, and all of the abilities are codified into the core mechanic to make it fast, fun, and easy to use. The combat is also much, much better. A dragon doesn't need 300 hit points to be challenging like it does in D&D, it can do stuff that's actually terrifying, like rip a character's arm off. Also, armor is damage reduction so no more of this "less likely to hit, but still does full damage if it does hit" bullshit. The monster stats are incredibly light, character creation is extremely fast and fluid, with just as many options as D&D when you consider that most of D&D is trap options. There is no powergaming in Dungeon World, just a fast story-based game that still has the mechanics from D&D that you love (hit points, classes, etc) but with much stronger mechanics that lead to a more fulfilling roleplaying experience.

My last session of Dungeon World, my human fighter wrapped a vampire in a bear hug and wrestled him out a window into the castle moat. That is real roleplaying, not babby D&D shit where you have to make two different rolls and then have some autist look up how far you can move about while grappling. Dungeon World is about fun and good story, not rules and combat bullshit.

www.dungeonworldsrd.com

Just a little bully?

You don't need friends to play. Acquaintances with common interest will do. They can become friends later, if they are overall decent people. But considering we're talking D&D crowd, it's not very likely.

Yeah I figured the best way was at comic stores. The closest to me is an hour away and the two times I've been there they were rude as fuck.
I know one person who may be interested in playing but I don't know him that well. There aren't many "nerds" where I live and I'm awkward as fuck.
Thanks for the tips though fellas. Bretty gomfy board it seems.

While true, an open LGS group will contain awful people, one of whom may be the GM, in which case the game will be awful too.

Better idea. Even if you start a game with online friends or something, gaming is waaay better when you know everyone beforehand not due to the context of joining a game. Hell, even workmates could be a valid if tenuous start.

Holy fucking shit sit back and look at yourself for a second you fucking scarecrow

Roll20 and other sites have terrible communities, but if you have no face-to-face options, they might be your only options.

RPG.net forums sometimes have game recruiting posts, which are probably on par with Roll20, but there you go.

>RPG.net
Don't go there. It has draconian mods and is full of "progressive" hypocrites that have sexual harassment allegations against them.

>Not ERPing with the RPG.net mods

Fuck off shill.

If you're lucky you can find some smaller online communities. I've done that a couple times. It's actually possible to get to know people. I've been to conventions with friends I made on one and game with the same 4 people pretty consistently online. Yeah, roll20 can suck, but if you get lucky you can make friends with the less shitty players and build an online group.

I speak from experience having done it twice.

WOAH HELL NO
OP ?! Disreguard that thing. It's pure shit ! SHIT !

>RPG.net

The one experience I have with RPG.net is subbing into a Dominions 4 game for one of their players.

I can safely say there is precious little intelligent life on the site.

First, you find some meatspace friends. Then you all try to play together, or get taught how to play by one of the more experienced members.

You do have friends, don't you?

Storytime?

OP, have you tried Dungeon World? It's a rules light ttrpg that is easy to pick up and play and it's more heavily focused on the narrative and fiction.
There's a lot of troglodytes on this board who like to shit on anything that's not their precious DnD. 99%of the people on Veeky Forums are degenerate shit stains who can't even find a game on roll20 because they lack basic human social skills. Check out Dungeon World and you won't spend your night scouring random d20 tables to see how many chickens you can carry when moving 20ft in splint mail.

OP don't listen to this user. Dungeon World is complete trash.

No...

Dungeon World is fucking awesome.

Dungeon World is the Big Bang Theory of trpgs.

Everybody here shits on D&D. Even the general board does it.

>If you have a group of friends with a similar interest in gaming try bringing the subject up to them. If you're looking for a cheap way to get started and you're worried about piracy, there is one D&D clone that gives free access to its rule book. Its essentially and older version of D&D and I recommend it as a starter for getting introduced to the game without having to actually spend any money on it. If you're interested in a more updated version of the game after that you can buy latest rule books from most bookstores.

Link to free versions of older D&D

goblinoidgames.com/index.php/downloads/

I didn't know it was possible for there to be dungeon world shills. It's a shit system with no depth other than hurr durr I rolled a 10 on 2d6 so I'm gonna shit fireballs! LOLOL

D&D is kinda shit, but it's common. Especially since critical role and shit have become more popular

>No-one is allowed to like things I don't like!
Grow up you fucking children.

I started tabletop games with this link
d20srd.org/
I hope it serves you well

You must be lonely up there on your tower.

You can like bad things, there's nothing wrong with that. However, you can't recommend them to someone who doesn't know any better.

Man, it was a while back.

It was a 10-province Ur that had a Shedu that was E1S1A9 or something along those lines. He was recruiting primarily indie troops, was engaged in no wars, and had no thrones.

I ended up joining a joint war with Suaromatia against TC, and managed to take a fort, a few provinces, and two armies before I was unable to sustain my casualties or hold off more than one army at a time.

It's not bad though. You're just a random user saying that it's bad. Name one thing that is objectively "bad" about DW.

Dungeon World is probably the best game to be created in the past 25 years. I'm including video games in this, by the way. See whereas in D&D a dragon is a 300 hp monster that takes up hours of combat slogging through its hit points in a boring tit-for-tat battle, a dragon in Dungeon World has only 16 hit points. Why? Because the dungeon master can do so much more with it: have it melt the character's armor, have it bite a characters arm off, or hook a character in its talons and fly off. You can't do that in D&D....Not without referencing a bunch of tables and doing ten different checks. Dungeon World is fast because it doesn't care about grapple checks and critical hits. And that's a good thing. Because it focuses on the important thing: the story. It's a game meant for real roleplayers, not autistic wargaming "realism" preferred only by virgins who will probably never see a real vagina. Or a good role-playing game, if they keep playing D&D instead of Dungeon World which is the superior option.

>It's a shit system with no depth other than hurr durr I rolled a 10 on 2d6 so I'm gonna shit fireballs! LOLOL
t. D&D virgin that will never experience vaginal sex or real role-playing. Not that he would want to because he has the creativity of a rock. Dungeon World gives the fast, powerful, flexible mechanics for a group that wants to tell a REAL story, not spend 2 hours fighting three advanced golems and a level 8 dragonborn warlock. Or take hours poring over splatbooks to make then most optimized wizard possible. Dungeon World skips that shut and focuses on what is important: the fiction. My girlfriend and I play Dungeon World every weekend and sometimes when we go to the FLGS in my city we snicker at the fat greasy neckbeards playing Manganese and D&D 5e, autistically arguing over how to open a door and how many hit points a wall has. Whereas in Dungeon World, if your fighter wants to be a bad ass and smash through a wall? Roll for it. It's. That. Fucking. Simple.

>I'm just one random user
And what about ?

>name something objectively bad about it
2d6 with modifiers of only +1 or +2 is a terrible system for rules-lite. It's swingy when you want it to be consistent and consistent when you want it to be swingy.

God, you're pathetic. The only thing you can say about Dungeon World is that it's not DnD. AKA, you're saying that your apples are good because they're not (albeit sour) oranges.
But lets conveniently ignore all the other rules-lite systems on the market that kick the shit out of Dungeon World. Lets forget about FATE and Savage Worlds and GURPS lite and even fucking pic related that blow Dungeon World out of the fucking water.

This is bait, right? Instantlly going to virgin, bragging about your girlfriend, you "snicker" at neckbeards at an LGS of all places?

Doesn't make dungeon world not shit, though. You might as well get a magic eight ball and ask it how the story goes for all you can do with the system. Or better yet, play a good system. Which changes on what you want out of it.

I like D&D5 cause it's pretty mechanics light and I can tell cool stories and have easy combats. I like Shadowrun cause it's great for tense heists. Blades In The Dark is okay for setting, but I hate a lot of the rules.

Dungeonworld-fags BTFO

Keep shilling for DnD you critical role watching plebs. Dungeon World requires more creativity and thought.
>rolls d20
>HURR NAT 20 GUIZE
>OMG NAT 20
kys

Ah, I see. You're baiting. Now it makes sense.

>I like D&D5 cause it's pretty mechanics light
No it's not. Also it's designed based on a 45 year old war game. It's not designed as an RPG. It's all legacy mechanics. Dungeon World was designed from the ground up to be a fast fun groundbreaking experience.

This

This thread helped me, a relatively new user. Thank you all for teaching me the evils that roam Veeky Forums. I shall remember to never follow the footsteps of these heretics that preach of cloister realms.

Glad I could help, user. Remember, there's nothing wrong with liking bad systems, but that doesn't mean they're not bad.

>This is bait, right?
You're cute, I like 'em fresh.

>Dungeon World requires more creativity and thought.

That's the problem. Not everyone cares to put in so much thought. In D&D, one player can focus on making a creatively roleplayed character while another in the same party plays it like a tactical wargame and a third player tries to find the silliest but feasible way to accomplish something. D&D doesn't have an explicit narrative focus, but it can work for people coming from both RP and from video games

Shitposts exist in all forms on Veeky Forums. Keep your wits about you.

Buy a self serve ad

I've had a similar experience actually. I want to start playing DnD (trying to get a few friends to join in but only one seems legitimately interested), but it's so off putting visiting comic stores or hobby shops in search of advice or other players. I'm not into capeshit or toys, but I try my best to remain respectful when I'm in that kind of space. It just seems like most of the people interested in these sorts of hobbies have a chip on their shoulder or a condescending attitude. I know I'm new to this and I don't mean to disrespect anybody, but I really would just like to find a decent group who can relax a bit.

I run a GURPS campaign online over discord voice+maptool that's friendly to new players, if you're interested. Bog standard fantasy hack and slash (because I've never actually gotten a chance to experience the cliches of tabletop).

Friendly reminder that this is virtualoptim's shitpasta to make everyone hate DW and its players. Not that DW is particularly great, but it's virtualoptim, so you know.

What's up newfriend?
All I can say that hasn't been said already is Baby Steps. Keep things nice and simple at first and then go hog wild once you've gotten a good grasp of things.
But remember that tabletop gaming is an intensely social activity, and so how you and your fellows conduct themselves will be the biggest factors in enjoying yourself bar none.

I'm in the same predicament OP.
Why is it so damn hard to find frens after Highschool?

You don't need friends who already know how to play, really. Just explain what it's about and try to get them on board with it.

However, you're gonna have issues if you don't intend to DM. People who want to play D&D and try to foist the DM role on other people to accommodate that tend to have a bad time. If somebody volunteers, great, but otherwise you're probably going to need to do some searching.

Try your gaming stores, look for advertisements. Phone some people, explain to them that you're a new players but you're willing to learn, and away you go. Most of all, just be reasonable. Everybody is basically there to have fun, if you're not comfortable around new people, staying in the background for a few sessions to learn group dynamics is never a bad thing, just be sure to tell the host in advance so he doesn't worry.

Also, sometimes the game will be bad. You're a new player, so you might not know what a bad game looks like until you actually play a good one, but keep on trying. As long as everybody is having fun and it's not at the expense of anybody else, it's good times.

>tfw you've got friends that want to try playing tabletop games but no one wants to bother spending hours of time reading literally hundreds of pages of rules just to make a character

I'll just stick to MtG I guess, no roleplaying for me.

>Go make nerdy friends.
Oh, yeah, w-why didnt i think of this... Y-yeah, ill just do this...

What system are you using if you need hundreds of pages just to play?

buy the starter set and ask your friends to play with you.

maybe buy some dice

Bribe someone.

No, seriously. This is the easiest fucking way. Pay a GM in food, books, sex, or whatever else they may wish, with the understanding that they will run for you. Do it and you will get a game with very little effort. Might not be a great game, but then again, you get what you pay for.

Second, make friends with a person who does run. Usually by talking about said things. Once you let on that you don't know much, but are interested in learning more, they will practically beg to run a game for you. Nothing like sharing a hobby with a friend.

And the most stupid way, ask people on the internet. They fucking lie, cheat, and steal with no remorse. Always stick to real people in front of you. They can at least be hit if they do something really shitty.

That person you don't know that well? Ask them to play.