I feel like a RIFTS(tm)(c) thread. Who else plays this masterpiece of clever rules...

I feel like a RIFTS(tm)(c) thread. Who else plays this masterpiece of clever rules, class balance and elegant world design?

So what parts of the lore are the most stupid?

Vampire Lore in general. Squirt guns filled with ordinary water being vampire slaying weapons. The whole "the water is in motion therefore it is technically running water" is so retarded it makes my head hurt. Not being subject to the purifying power of flame. And actually being tentacle monsters from beyond. It all is just so dumb.

So are there two people back to back in every glitter boy suit or does the pilot have another face on the back of his head?

>And actually being tentacle monsters from beyond
That's the big one for me.

))((

Glitter Boys are always piloted by the DiFacial race, which is also its own RCC.

They are amazingly perceptive, but since there's no Perception/Senses attribute, nor any skills for Searching or Awareness, it's mechanically meaningless.

Reminder that Uncle Kev scammed people out of 1.4 mil so he could go bang traps in Thailand.

It is a good thing there are like six horseback riding rules right? Everybody knows we need to know the difference between a Cowboy, Cossack, Cyber-Knight, in addition to regular and Exotic.

>snarky storygaming hipsters shit on RIFTS because they saw an ironic lelsorandumxD rifts twitch stream

wow, so cool. i bet you think dungeon world is poetic and sophisticated.

DW is shit and so are the Rifts rules. People can laugh at more than one thing at a time, idiot.

But seriously, who doesn't love alien slavers with tentacles and amazon-warrior-women armies?

I cracked open my old RIFTS book today yup that cover.

It's a fun game, but for fucks sake Kev needs to get off the IP and let someone organize the shit out of the books and tie them together in a way that isn't absolute ass. Savage RIFTS isn't a bad direction to take it either, but if the rest of the game played as well as Combat (ideally) works then the game would be great. As it is, it has real ups and downs.

But BOOM cannoning shit is never going to NOT be fun.

It's a fun setting that was always killed for my the disparity between art and gameplay (you will basically never see player characters in anything but EBA due to megadamage and hazy called shot rules).

yeah, it does have some great art... but then pretty much everyone starts running around in the same "Fallout" costume with the same stuff because you will be paste in 5 seconds if you don't wear mega-damage armor

>I feel like a RIFTS(tm)(c) thread.
So you feel salty, unbalanced, and primitive?

Reading this sentence must be what having a stroke feels like.

I don't see an actual issue with it.

>Glitter Boys are always piloted by the DiFacial race, which is also its own RCC.

It establishes that DiFacials pilot glitterboys when not doing bukkake, RCC is "racial character class", aka "you get levels and skills in Black People instead of Cyber-Knight".

>They are amazingly perceptive, but since there's no Perception/Senses attribute, nor any skills for Searching or Awareness, it's mechanically meaningless.

A mechanically sound sentence, establishing how (as is often the fucking case in RIFTS) something with interesting flavor text has meaningless in-game effect. Like, "I can see 10,000 feet and read the fine print" is great, but since the game has no real mechanic for using vision at such length it is really a meaningless bit of flavor. Or like if I said humans had "fly" as an ability, but didn't stat it or mention it at any other point in the rule book.

I only got to play one game, but what I did play was fun.

>GM owns every physical book
>lots of options
>decide to play a baby dragon
>6 months old, fuck yeah
>only caster is this necromancer chick who gets all motherly over my newly hatched and easily influenced mind
>yes momma
>GM goes over this huge town made by his old PC
>typical power trip stuff, but I am loving being a dragon too much
>first town we get to has a library
>decide my baby dragon really likes books
>first thing to happen when the baby dragon comes into town is the local militia mobilizes
>they don't want baby dragon near the books
>humans decide that shooting at the baby is much safer than having it free roam
>mega damage rife instantly takes out a baby dragon eye
>no hope for regeneration apparently
>GM tells me that this place is also claimed by a much older dragon
>apparently an ExPC as well

Stopped playing shortly after when the GMPC tries to get the lady necromancer over to his side. Talks a lot about how many slave children he had. I know he was shit but I actually got to play something with some real potential. Kinda wish we did more.

Why do people always capitalize "Rifts"
It's just a word, not an abbreviation

Kevin has nothing and is in his mid 60s. He squandered the profits of TMNT, Rifts and 1990s Robotech VHS tapes sales on stupid comics and toys. He will go down with the ship out of financial necessity. He would be amiable to a cash buy out but like many orginal creators with long term ownership vastly over values his IPs worth. Palladium’s IPs are his only means of making a living. He feels responsible for Julius, Alex, Wayne and Chuck who are his full time employees. Any buy out would have to cover them as well. There just isn’t enough value in these IPs to justify the price Kevin would want. Someone will just make a not-Rifts instead.

Because it’s basic English grammar to capitalize titles you contrarian retard.

>you will basically never see player characters in anything but EBA due to megadamage and hazy called shot rules.

Not true. Either eliminate MDC and just run a straight SDC game with Armor Ratings (Rules forvthis are in Conversion Book 1) or Change the MDC scale from 1 MDC = 100 SDC to 1:10.

This makes 20th century slug throwers relevant again whilst still making MDC deadly. Also most town and cities ban MDC armor and weaponry.

That one cover makes up for a LOT of incoherent rules in this user’s view.

Yes that cover! RIP Keith Parkinson

The rules aren’t that bad. They are bloated and poorly organized. At its core “Palladium’s Megaversal System” (dumb name) is AD&D 1E with a D100 based skills system and some poorly thought out modern gun rules.

Rifts was a big part of the rpg scene in the 1990s. Much nostalgia. The art and setting have many shining gems. The rules and book layout are dated relics to a more amateur time.

Kevin isn’t into traps. He is a cuck. He literally raised another man’s kids when he married Mary Anne who divorced him after the kids were grown.

I'm actually down with the tentacle monster thing, but the water thing and wooden railgun rounds have always bugged me.

You don't write CALL OF DUTY, WARHAMMER 40000 or THE LORD OF THE RINGS, you write Call Of Duty, Warhammer 40000 or Lord of the Rings.

As someone who grew up on palladium I feel comfortable shit talking it.

No standardized character sheet meant all of my stuff had to be done on fucking notepad files. Arbitrary starting skill values and various percentage raises usually left me guessing on the fly whether or not I could succeed at anything. Trying to play "midrange" characters meant that challenges balanced for the asshole who just had to play a dragon left my ass on the ground for most of an encounter.

They have like one good artist for robots and shit, which is why I haven't burnt all my books yet, but aside from that this franchise and system is objectively worthless.

>Someone will just make a not-Rifts instead.

One of Kevin's freelancers tried, and failed dismally. It was called "Breachworld", I think? Writing was mediocre, art was high-school-level bad. It's not as easy as it seems to make an "everything and the kitchen sink" RPG. Rifts had some amazing artists bring it to life at a time when there were very few RPGs of this kind on the market and the barrier to entry was moderately high. And the RPG-nerd market was larger.

hey, you! what movie is that?

Narratively the setting is designed to randomly mash idiots together and then force them to do work for totalitarian dickbags. The one location that was obviously written up to be appealing to players was destroyed and they tried to sell you like 6 books to detail how it happened. There are massive gaps in the details of rifts earth that will never be filled because their writers are idiots/Kevin the cuck is too scared to do it. Want rules for traditional Christianity magic stuff since it's established gods are real? Fuck off, the best you're getting is some Russian folk magic bullshit. Rifts middle East/India/central Asia never ever.

Thats always sad to hear. Savage Worlds may be the only way to revive it, and it's so far been well recieved. That may be the ultimate eulogy of RIFTS: the setting sold to another IP

We did this in a campaign, it was great. Theres an alien invasion setting that does this, with ayys that teleport via telephone lines, all their stuff is SDC

The fatal flaw is that it never had an update that made an attempt to trim the fat and organize things in a more logical fashion

Eh moving water doesnt bother me, ive heard it outside Rifts. Old supernatural monsters used to have weird weaknesses anyway

All you need to do to make this game worth playing is to hire a FUCKING editor and put together a halfway decent core book.

Why is this so fucking hard? Why is it that only Wizards and Paizo can put together a book that doesn't shit the bed halfway through? Why the fuck are there four different sections with classes and features? Why is the character creation the last thing in the book? This isn't hard, fuck.

Running water is fine if it is immersion in a stream, river, or hell even the ocean. But the herpaderp throw a bucket of water on a vampire to kill it is as dumb as the bucket of water killing the Wicked Witch of the West.

Because Kevin has terminal autism, hence his prose. He often writes like this. With periods instead of commas. Like he has a tenuous grasp of English. And writing in general.

Even FFG would be a serious step up, and EotE isnt super well done. But at least they have it as Race=>Skills=>Class=>Gear=>Combat=>Ships and ship combat=>Setting=>Monsters=>Adventure=>Index

Even if it isnt always great within those chunks, it at least makes sense and flows

What is really sad about Kevin's later years is believes that his comics and toys have enough value to see him through retirement. And then he doesn't keep track of his shit and a bunch of it gets stolen during his yearly Palladium Open House.

A normal person buys stocks, bonds, and maybe some precious metals to make their retirement portfolio, not fucking anime cels, comic books, and crappy lithographs. And the physical items they have for retirement they keep in a safe deposit box, not in their fucking office.

At least he wasnt banking on the value of the company I guess... or if he did, that ship sailed a LONG time ago.

>Someone starts a Rifts thread.
>No discusion abput the game, just shitposting about the creator.

Sounds about right.

What's funny is that the original Rifts core laid it out like that, then Rifts UE shit the bed massively.

There are several posts about the game and setting specifically but ok.

So Rifts has pretty over-the-top stuff, from plasma sword stuff to Boom cannons. Im kinda surprised that a Mega Damage style thing didnt show up in other settings. Like 40K. Savage Worlds sorta has a dialed down version of it, but most worlds dont have a "Noisey Cricket" as part of standard character creation.

Rifts is great, I've been DM'ing a federation of magic game where my players were tasked with infiltrating a coalition research base to break out a captured spy and do what they could to gather information on Coalition military projects. It turned in to them getting the spy out and uncovering a coalition secret weapon. The weapon was a space alien that appeared to be human but had supernatural mental and physical characteristics. The alien was then experimented on by the coalition until he was able to breathe in PPE from all living things around him, the player group found him and accidentally broke him out (none of them had any computer skills lol).

Prior to this the players aggro'd a major water elemental and couldn't kill it, but they decided to use the elemental to distract the coalition. They tasked a headhunter in the party who had a suit of terrain hopper power armor to aggro it and bring it to the military base. The plan worked (barely, since the coalition identified the headhunter as a UFO and dispatched sky cycles to shoot him down) but once the elemental got to the research facility it, being a creature of magic was absorbed by the Alien experiment. The group saw this happen and stole a jeep, pedal to the metal they escaped the military base only to have the entire base be destroyed minutes after they escaped in a giant explosion of blue energy.

Some more happened afterwards but uhh... yeah man rifts is fucking awesome if you just like to have fun and don't throw a fit every time things get hard in a game.

Rifts is fucking great, you have to have the right group for it though, if they're a bunch of rule crunching "Actually's" no one will have fun. The game is fun when you do your best to make things reasonable and not conform entirely to the rules because a lot of them are optional anyways.

Yeah that change fixes a lot of issues, once I implemented it things got much better.

This. If you have a rules-loose group it's pretty great. If you have rule naz-- rule dead boys it gets shitty, because then you have to page hunt...

Absolute tosh, as notes
Idiots write "RIFTS" because they think it's like GURPS or something but no, it's just a fucking word

Savage rifts is really good, like fucking good, as in I learned Savage to play it.

That being said, I wish to christ paladium would nut the fuck up and sell PDFs, its 2017 I shouldnt have to haul a backpack of books on me anymore.

I always played it with 10:1 and some other stuff that made MD gear better than just 20th century heavy weapons, and it worked a lot better

I always get the impression that Kevin writes his books stream of consciousness style. And since he doesn't have an editor to fix stuff the books always are disjointed and until you get used to it and kinda understand his thought processes are a pain in the ass to find anything in.

Also he always complains about page count issues but does stuff like this where breaks off on a lecture about peer pressure and imitating movie stunts.

Savage RIFTS really kind of pissed me off. The amount of fucking condescension actually hurts to someone who enjoys palladium itself.

It's almost like modern rpg fans were like "hey check out this crusty obscure 90s game lets gawk at it" and then they got interested enough to want to play it but not to play a system that's been so memed and derided that it's gone from cool to jokingly bad in the public eye.

It's almost like slumming it but you decide to sleep in your BMW and bring your macbook because you don't want to get THAT close.

Not to mention what is denoted by people basically saying "uck, you have a cool game but your ad&d bullshit is passé, let me cure you with my modern storygaming system"

People don't realize palladium doesn't need a savior, it doesn't need a hipster to come onto the scene and tell everybody what's wrong and how he can fix it. It's fun already. I'm sure Savage RIFTS is fun but people shilling it as the future of rifts really rustle me

Dude, I liked Rifts but the original Palladium rules were so horrifyingly bad that I could only stand it in small doses: One-shots or short campaigns.

If that is what you're preaching, that the bad rules was part of the "RIFTS experience", you can keep that and I'll happily cope with Savage Rifts.

Getting rid of MDC and re-adding AR would makes Rifts 100x more fun.

Megaversal SYstem is a hot mess, but most of that is because of MDC, all the DSC games always just seem to play so much smoother.

I'm inclined to mostly agree with this for sevreal reasons, MDC made sense in first ed Robotech. But it lost all meaning in Rifts at this point.

If your not MDC your basicly dead.

Methhead Jake swears by it.

Yeah the RMB is way better laid out than the RUE, it's just too bad they forgot to include half the rules in it.

Yeah Savage Worlds is the only other system I know that has something similar.

"Rulings, not rules" GM mindset is more important in Rifts than most games, that's for sure.

Yeah Rifts is fun, and sure there are a handful of us than genuinely like it rules and all, but it's pretty obvious the majority think the rules were garbage, and Savage Worlds was probably one of the better choices for an alternate rules-line for the game since it had a lot of the features as Rifts right out of the box.

Fair, but Savage Worlds is the closest arguably, and it keeps the setting alive. And as people play the setting, maybe we'll see revived interest in Rifts

FFG star wars and D6 have "vehicle scale" damage, where 1 point of vehicle damage is like 10 regular. Thats sorta close, and could feasibly work.

If only a show like Stranger Things played stuff other than D&D to show the world that TTRPGs isnt just wizards, knights, and theives

It's never fun when the whole world hates the game you love. I poke fun at Rifts but it's a love-hate thing; I really do love the setting and get all nostalgic about it. And just because something is badly-designed doesn't mean you can't have great fun with it. Which I have. With Rifts, I mean.

I'm just gonna do a mini-dump of cool Rifts pix.

I always liked skelebots.

>This faggot doesn't love brandishing squirt guns in a serious vampire hunting scene in response to a Coalition's laser gun