Comfy art that takes you back to those days

comfy fantasy art/music that takes you back to the first days when you were just discovering the genre.

youtube.com/watch?v=_kl6a-l-XEo&t

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TbRlIHfZ7Xs&list=PLB816812DAFD41430
youtube.com/watch?v=aEqDtbC3bL8
youtube.com/watch?v=1-QO3WJqe0E
youtube.com/watch?v=6KiMclu8fqY
youtube.com/watch?v=8jgIJgBFocY
youtube.com/watch?v=5LyjpuAGaF4
youtube.com/watch?v=v_f8UFv_Ytc
youtube.com/watch?v=9o-7rPnZhXo
youtube.com/watch?v=y77SeeHT0jM&t=257s
youtube.com/watch?v=VRcprUCjwDc
youtube.com/watch?v=xKgPmfApdeI
youtube.com/watch?v=gbU5zl0nnXM
youtube.com/watch?v=ZP7vWiaxw7Y
youtube.com/watch?v=jYGA_bk6P0I
youtube.com/watch?v=UMaYDMrkGgg
youtube.com/watch?v=jM8EaL1Zm6w
youtube.com/watch?v=gz98MWnvyM0
youtube.com/watch?v=J50uD0CE7JI
youtube.com/watch?v=9FBuxs6oxZ4
youtube.com/watch?v=mP0vmLm4nGI
youtu.be/jQxOTh6sX9w?t=3m43s
youtu.be/Yis2SN4okbA
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

This game was approximately 20% of my entire childhood.

Forgot the soundtrack!

youtube.com/watch?v=TbRlIHfZ7Xs&list=PLB816812DAFD41430

Oh god, it's been ages since Age of Wonders. Although, I got it because it was billed as "The Next Master of Magic", and while it was good, it wasn't that good.

I still have a glowing little memory about summoning zephyr falcons or whatever they're called to protect the allied mages in that last level. Slows them down enormously, since those Lords have no anti-air abilities.

That dragon is ripped

remember this picture in an old tolkien art book we had. one of the main things that got me interested in fantasy

very evocative

youtube.com/watch?v=aEqDtbC3bL8

Yes!!! I love this game!

I still play Shadow Magic to this day. I just remember buying it randomly from one of those street CD sellers (3rd world shit) as a pirate game and I was completely fascinated by it. This was AoW 2. Then I found about Shadow Magic. I was also ver HYPE'd over the AoW 3 that came out a few years ago and I also play that but the artwork and the spirit of the AoW 2 is really special to me. I love everything in that game from portraits to units to map to songs.

youtube.com/watch?v=1-QO3WJqe0E

0:34 - 1:20

youtube.com/watch?v=6KiMclu8fqY

Justin Sweet's work for IWD series impressed me lots back in the day...

This and Heroes of Might and Magic 2 and 3 were approximately my entire childhood.

oh man

age of wonders

that was something special.

Campaign path Keepers->Lizardmen->High Men best most bittersweet path.

Loved this graphic novel of the Hobbit

It's a shame Disciples series doesn't get mention more often

youtube.com/watch?v=8jgIJgBFocY

I WAS JUST ABOUT TO BRING IT UP

I mean, less for 'comfiness' but more for nostalgia. Had gorgeous art.

I was so thrilled to see a redux on steam.

I"M MELTIIIIIING

First Disciples was better. Sequel was just way too fucking grimdark to care at all. No matter what you did, world was fucked, so why even bother?

youtube.com/watch?v=5LyjpuAGaF4
boys...

and then there was the third game...

That picture feels good

Too buggy to even try. It gives you blue-screen once per 2-5 turns, not worth it.

This one always takes me back

Even outside of the bugs, it just was lame.

youtube.com/watch?v=v_f8UFv_Ytc

>IM ALIVEE
>ZUG ZUG
>FLOOR DOOK
>WE'RE READY
>.. I'M NOT READY!

And nobody gives a single fuck about ripped naked lizardman storming battle babes' tower or giant and dragon right in front of the palace

just downloaded the game and played this map. I am this guy but played the aow 1 for the first time. damn its even MORE comfy. the music is awesome. sieges are so hard. I love it!

Age of Wonders 1 is so...I don't know. Fairy tale? Classic generic fantasy? I love it. It's just a nice soothing simple battle of good vs evil with all the beautiful art and wonderful music. It's a treat.

LotR is probably the only reason I gave a shit about fantasy as a kid.

The next closest thing would probably be watching my dad playing the Might and Magic series on our shitty old PC.

>Just another day in this fuckville. Somebody kill me already.

Keep it comin'

The best part? There are only four tracks to it!

You were not the fuck taking up an hour to take your turn because you refused to do anything before checking every single unit and artefact you had, were you?

Age of Wonders 1 was my favorite.
That and HoM&M3 defined fantasy for me more than Tolkein

It was one of the Book of Unfinished tales, the centenary edition art on all the books was absolutely mindblowing to me

Your post is pure /C O M F Y/ and nostalgia to me.

youtube.com/watch?v=9o-7rPnZhXo
Title and Clouds and Feuds are my favorite.

youtube.com/watch?v=y77SeeHT0jM&t=257s

>Go onto Veeky Forums after a long day of playing AoW
>Se this:
This is a good thread.
Although, as nice as AoW is, Heroes II will always be The comfy fantasy for me:
youtube.com/watch?v=VRcprUCjwDc

i want it back bros

i want to be lost in those young days again

Don't we all.

That's a real diverse cast of portraits there.

Anyone else remembers warlords?
youtube.com/watch?v=xKgPmfApdeI

Hell yeah motherfucker. Minotaurs for life.

And it was totally unremarkable in its day.

My Nubian comrades-in-arms.

> there are people on this board who weren't alive when you first delved into Durlag's Tower, conquered the land of Urak, brought the Highfather glory in Nevendaar, or restored Erathia to greatness.

Let me tell you of the days of high adventure.

youtube.com/watch?v=gbU5zl0nnXM
youtube.com/watch?v=ZP7vWiaxw7Y
youtube.com/watch?v=jYGA_bk6P0I

I never actually played this game. I just remember watching it over my brothers shoulders a lot when I was really, really young.
A few years back I found a copy at a thrift store. A complete Big Box, as video games used to be sold, with instruction manual, map and all. I don't even have a functioning CD-player, but I just had to get it anyway.

youtube.com/watch?v=UMaYDMrkGgg

>not linking the real daggerfall theme
youtube.com/watch?v=jM8EaL1Zm6w

Eddings books played a large role in defining fantasy for me when. No idea how they hold up, haven't picked one up in... a decade?

this reminds me an important question to ask

>recommend me a comfy fantasy novel/series. bonus if its non-shared world and original work.

from the d&d FR novels I would say Azure Bonds series and darkwalker on moonshae kind of old stuff are really comfy books.

youtube.com/watch?v=gz98MWnvyM0

>Aww, fuck; nostalgia thread got me.

Old Lego catalogs were very comfy.

here. these cards were super comfy.

I should continue my HP quest soon.

I agree.

Gorram it.

Minotaurs from Enroth says hi.

youtube.com/watch?v=J50uD0CE7JI

The Might and Magic series is one of the shining gems of my childhood and it completely set the tone for fantasy and adventure in my mind. Every adventure I've ever tried to run ends up being like MM in some (usually obvious) way.

Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra was the first real video game I ever played. As a small child, my parents got it for me as part of a discount bundle of games. Me being an idiot kid in the pre-internet era with no clue what I was doing, I spent months trying to work out all the puzzles and secrets before I finally beat it. I still remember the feeling of accomplishment.

It wasn't until years later that I found out there were other games in the series. I saw 6 in the game store and got all light headed. I shortly thereafter found out about the other games in the series went about gradually played through the entire thing.

The one thing that I remember most vividly is the maps. The maps for these games were out of this world. I didn't have the physical ones for the earlier games so I actually printed them out out on my shitty black and white printer over the course of several pages and then taped them together so I could stick them on my wall.

I've always been disappointed that more people apparently haven't played the core games. I always see people talking about the HoMM series, and man, HoMM is great, but in my mind none of them ever stood a candle to, say, World of Xeen.

So if I wanted to play one of these, with very limited time, what's the best one?

I like pretty graphics and fewer numbers.

The two guards just standing there on the hill like "We're not paid for this shit"

Is that a computer in the background?

So it is!

That's a tricky question. They're older games so they're not super pretty, and they're usually anything but short, especially the first time you play them. That said, they're great games.

The best game in the classic series is World of Xeen, which is generally just considered one game these days. It was a product of an era with good 2D graphics, so it has some lovely art, especially in its stills, but the resolution is... well... not great. Its not as number happy as 1-3, but there's still some occasionally tedious inventory management while you work out which sword does the most damage. The first half - Clouds of Xeen - also happens to be one of the shorter installments of that era.

If you're looking for something that's pretty by contemporary standards (and relatively light on math), you could also look into Might and Magic X, which was published quite recently. Its not really a true Might and Magic game since it was made by none of the same people and is only tangentially part of the same setting, but it actively tries to evokes nostalgia for the earlier games and does quite well in that regard. Consider it a Might and Magic-style experience for people who prefer Steam to Dosbox.

>tfw you will never play a DnD campaign with these guys
>tfw you will never hear them break out into song during the final battle

Someday I'll lose a fight, but not today.

Ah, fuckin classic. I didn't find the sequel as fun nor colorful.

Dude, the portraits for IWD1 and 2 were flat-out amazing. Makes me sad that they didn't put the same amount of care into the BG1 and 2 portraits, they're just not as slick looking. The BG games are still my entire childhood in a nutshell though, absolutely my favorite games even unto today.

These knight Legos are so much better than the new ones they have rolling now.

I played Disciples 2 mostly for atmosphere. Gameplay was bearable but nothing fantastic. Graphics, small touches and details, music is what I loved about it.

Part and parcel of living in an MMO

Age of Wonders II's artstyle still looks so damn good. All I want to do is grab a boat and chill out on that lake, as long as the dragon didn't mind.

Yeah, Lego pretty much peaked 1990-1995, and I've held fast to this opinion since I was twelve. What I really liked about older lego sets (other than hugely preferring the older aesthetic) was how little it gave you to work with, plot wise. There were a bunch of factions in an mostly unspecified conflict, and named characters didn't really exist outside "The Wizard", "The King", "The Ghost", or similar.
Nowadays Lego have a heavy tendency towards clearly coded Good and Evil factions, with with color-coded hero characters cast as the protagonists for you. With something as creativity-focused as Lego, this hurts the product in my opinion.

That said, some of the new Creator sets are pretty cool

youtube.com/watch?v=9FBuxs6oxZ4

>ripped naked lizardman storming battle babes' tower
Think they're compensating for something?

Did any of you guys play Moonstone? To me it's the definitive questing knights game.
youtube.com/watch?v=mP0vmLm4nGI

Jeremy Soule can do no wrong.

Oh man why did they stop painting like that, everything's so bland, streamlined, boring and homogenic now.

youtu.be/jQxOTh6sX9w?t=3m43s

>The Sphinxes are quite one of the biggest embarassments of the film. They are full bosomed strippers who sit there in the desert.

There will never be anything quite as special to me as the Pre-Searing was.
>That comfy scenery
>That god tier music
>That self contained economy
>That sense of adventure as you found new skills
>That feeling of loss when those furry dindus toasted the entire landscape

oh those age of sigmar maps are SHIT!
nothing like the creative maps of old!

youtu.be/Yis2SN4okbA