Would an epic poem inspired setting alike to Tolkien's works work in DnD?

Would an epic poem inspired setting alike to Tolkien's works work in DnD?

Nope. Sorry. That sort of thing is just impossible.

only if your players are understanding and cooperative enough to follow the tone of the setting.
So no, it's completely impossible.

Are your players really this autist that they cannot cooperate with DM and fellow players?

What do you think players are like?

It was more a stupid answer to a stupid question.

This sentence doesn't mean anything. Other than heroes accomplishing great feats, nothing about epic poem's settings are shared, and that's already in D&D.

i meant that the dnd settings are too lame, too on the ground, i like my settings with great godlike heroes.

Mythic Pathfinder, any narrative system, Scion (though admittedly its combat is rough), Mythender (indie game where you kill gods), Godlike, Fall of the Gods, Exalted.

Exalted is too hindu for me

The pandemia books of dave Duncan are based on 2 poems,one for 4 of the 8.

Stay out of the South?

>Would an epic poem inspired setting alike to Tolkien's works work in DnD?
Basically any D&D campaign that goes on long enough becomes pretty similar to epic poetry, user, at least in scope if not form, and provided it's not just dungeon crawlan. Could you be more specific?

Listening to people trying to emulate Tolkien dialogue in realtime would be extremely painful

If they were belt buckles instead of rings Isildur would have just had to wrestle Sauron into submission.

Ding Ding Ding we have winners.
honorable answer.
It unfortunately depends on group. D&D has enough flexibility in tone (arguably one of its strong points) that you can do what OP wants easily enough that the thread was instantly shitposts. A game is not the details of its settings, the tone and broad strokes are what evoke that epic I believe OP is looking for. It just would require some skillful DMing, or at least a willingness to ham it the fuck up. But then again my epic poem knowledge is Beowulf, Iliad, and Odyssey; pretty entry level stuff but all very D&D able.
All that said high level 5th edition characters get pretty goddamn gross in terms of feats. Its fun as fuck.

For you.

only if you return race as class

>D&D has enough flexibility in tone (arguably one of its strong points)
I fail to see how D&D is more flexible in tone that litteraly any other game with rules that are not made for a specific setting.

Like Forgotten Realms?
nibba just start at the higher level

Yo Sauron. Do you smell what Isildur is cooking??? This friday, at the mount doom arena I will bodyslam you so hard that you will be flatter than the very ground we will wrassle on!