Big stronk warrior race that runs around pillaging, burning villages, and eating people

>Big stronk warrior race that runs around pillaging, burning villages, and eating people
>Just another boring cardboard cutout orc

>Big stronk warrior race that's actually pretty structured and proud as a society
>Muh noble savages meme

Is there a way to do a primitive race that's inherently larger and stronger than any others in a way that isn't kind of overused and bland by now?

How about if they're all not exactly the same?

Perhaps taking from warriors cultures that actually existed and then taking a logical conclusion of how they would adapt to the setting you put them in? Might work.

My campaign includes a faction that is mainly run by half orcs with a minority of humans who have full citizenship. They are made to be more like Rome that combines barbaric practices like slavery and constant wars of aggression, with some sophistication like a professional army with ranks that are determined by merit, roads, walls, art and entertainment, etc.

basically this.

Yes, you go all the way. Make them much bigger and much stronger and make them giants. Make them gentle, semi-solitary beings who live in small family units instead of in full-fledged tribes/hordes/armies/etc.

By understanding antithesis and thinking about something for just a bit.

The irony of big animals is that they're fragile. It's why natural selection weeded most of them out. A race of "big stronk dudes" would be comically prone to injury. They'd have no choice but to be pacifists, else their bodies would be so hyper-evolved to support themselves they'd basically be immobile.

The Mongol!

Actually most mega fauna have been weeded out by humam encroachment, once earth recovers animals will fill the niche agaon

Copying an irl culture and pasting orc/lizard/whatever heads onto them is just as lazy. I'd rather muh noble savages than the 20th iteration of not!aztecs or not!mongols or some shit.

>Is there a way to do a primitive race that's inherently larger and stronger than any others in a way that isn't kind of overused and bland by now?

Pretty much everything has been done to death by this point. Trying to go too deep into the "originality" meme usually winds up with you creating something that doesn't resemble the original creature (be it orc, dwarf, elf, etc.) at all.

Being overly concerned with Veeky Forums memes (ex: noble savage) will destroy any worldbuilding project you're working on.

don't mind me just pulling this shit off flawlessly

That's why you don't fucking carbon copy. You draw inspiration from various sources and combine them with your own unique ideas.

>A noble savage is a literary stock character who embodies the concept of the indigene, outsider, wild human, or "other" who has not been "corrupted" by civilization

just don't push the whole black and white "civilization bad" anarcho-primmie shit. Keep in mind that traditional tribal cultures have both their upsides and downsides.

That sounds like too much work for the typical fa/tg/uy

MUSCULAR ORC WAIFU WHEN

People don't know how to do that

Most people here are probably some kind of autistic, who have issues with anything outside binary thought process

>me on the right

Do both, have multiple factions of the same race who follow different ideals while being culturally pretty similar. Make an effort to give the 'pillage' faction some positive traits, like maybe full tribe membership for conquered peoples as long as they'rte down to keep the pillage train a rollin'. Then have the 'noble savage' faction some real impactful negative traits, like maybe institutional speciesism against all non 'Orcs'.

It's about finding a balance, without abandoning what makes those races interesting to play.

>big stronk warrior race that runs around fucking anything it can and talking shit to smoller races, but always has their backs
Orcs should be a race of Chads and Lady-Chads(not Stacies)

>that isn't kind of overused and bland by now
Originality is overrated. It's good but not as great and important as many people say it is. Just do stuff you enjoy and maybe others would enjoy it too. If you create muh noble savage race at least make them act nobly.

>The virgin Moria-dweller
>The chad Draenor native

Alright, mainly because I'm goaded into it because I so thoroughly fucking hate the defeatism epitomised by .

Off the top of my head, lets have a look at how we can do this while avoiding well tread territory.

What I think is "samey" about these ideas is that the barbarian savages are "rising up" from an even more primal state. When the major distinguishing feature of these dudes is that they are savage, strong, and relatively primitive, you should allow them a history that means that their schtick is not going to go away with time. In a traditional tale, eventually the age of the honorable, proud warrior is doomed to eventually end, and the primitives will eventually be crushed by industrialisation.

What if instead, the BIG STRONK WARRIOR RACE used to be a reedy and frail people? Their jealousy of the might of other races, of even the beasts, rather than causing them to develop technology to render it irrelevant, drove them to uncover a new understanding of nature and beat it at its own game. Over generations of selective breeding and scholarly investigation they found new ways to exercise more effectively, and with each passing generation assimilated only the most ideal traits into their children.

As their success mounted, they sought to prove themselves, honouring the efforts of their much weaker ancestors through displays of strength. By slaying the mightiest beasts they could find with greater and greater handicaps (more primitive weapons). By invading nearby nations and settlements purely to provoke and crush the retaliation.

Their society still has more vestigial trappings of higher civilisation. They know, academically speaking, how to make nice clothes. But isn't it a better display of strength to weather the winter with only shitty ones? They are perfectly capable of using trebuchets to lay siege to a castle, but they would vastly prefer to level its gate into a pile of wooden splinters with their fists alone if possible.

>Noble Savage as an intentional cultural choice.
I like this and am stealing it now.

No, you have to instead temper your expectations

Civilization IS bad. The neolithic revolution was a mistake.

They retain the use of more civilised agricultural techniques because of two reasons:
a) It allows a relatively small number of farmers to feed their people, which in turn allows their farmers to prove their strength (farmers probably employ a minimum of beasts of burden where they can get away with it)

b) It gives everyone more time to focus on their blood duty of exercising constantly. They are still of only somewhat above average strength by blood. Their nation of jacked super-warriors is primarily maintained by the near universal spending of literally hours of every day dedicated to exercise by every single citizen. Their intellectuals ponder their theories while they work on their arms, and record their thoughts while they work on their legs. The town smith takes a rest from the forge to do his squats. Children are taught to count so they can keep track of how many pull-ups they can do.

A half-breed of their race, or even a full blood raised outside their society isn't even recognisable as the same species.

steam punk orcs that never saw a point in phasing out coal while other races moved on to cleaner energy PERFECT.

>JRRT orcs

>no females

Make the savages actually savage.
They might be noble but they are primitive because that's what they are. Not because their culture they don't want to part with, they are literally incapable of anything more.
Give them strong tribal instinct and territoriality. Not just "muh tribe, muh culture" but they evolved/created in such a way they get an strong bloodthirst and adrenaline rush when around non-tribe members of their species.
They don't necessarily going around raiding people not of their own species ( but towards their own species they are brutal and have frequent attempts at genocide ). They value strength and honor because that's what is needed to survive when too many weak tribe members means your entire tribe gets wiped out by other tribes.

primmie spotted, don't leave this guy in charge of your orcs

>Civilization IS bad. The neolithic revolution was a mistake.

Then why aren't you off living off the land in the woods instead of using all this technological convenience to argue with strangers?

Based user

He said they must have existed but didn't write at length about them or bring them up in important works so people just bought the vat born stuff. Orcs as a whole were never in some concrete form with him though, since he struggled to fit them to his world and he had very little that came before them to guide him on their features unlike elves and dwarves. They were also no great stroke of genius, as with hobbits. They were a slow made idea that caught on in fantasy, like the balrogs did, though it had to have it's name changed to balor in D&D.

Because civilization is like drug. Once you're hooked you can't stop until the death spiral is complete. When our oceans are coated in a thick film of plastic waste, when all the woodlands have been burned to make way for farmland the poisoned soil and polluted air can no longer even support, when 90% of all life has gone extinct and mankind itself has been reduced to near catatonic lumps of fat, so autistic the very idea of social contact triggers cold sweats, when even the almighty dollar can no longer hide the fact our dependence on fossil fuels has flooded our cities and left us with underdeveloped alternatives, then we will collectively kick the habit.

Or maybe I'm just trolling. Maybe.

>Or maybe I'm just trolling. Maybe.
We can't be certain. Either way, I'm forced to counter-troll with the worst fucking HFY in my folder.

we know we can civilly coexist with nature in theory, dont give up just yet user we can still salvage this shit fight still yet.

user, mankind would go extinct long before the damage got that bad.

250 million years ago or so, the planet hurt itself even worse in what might be described as an attempted suicide by volcano. Even that didn't get everything - 5% of the prior biota made it through, and from there we got everything that came for the next few eons until that giant rock slammed into Mexico and killed a good 70% of those.

And from the 30% left over from that, we got everything that lives and breathes today, and some things that don't anymore.

The biosphere is actually very resilient, which is why the cosmos feels no guilt over repeatedly bludgeoning it to near-death.

Yes.

A race of large humanoids (add your own flavor, whether straight up human or reptilian or draconic or whatever) that aren't particularly bright or technologically advanced.

They are slow breeders and their size means that they need way more food than a human. That leads to close knit societal groups and heavy emphasis on non-fatal ceremonial combat (either hilarious lucha wrestling or dulled weapons). Because a loss of one or more able bodied giants will heavily compromise their existence and likely lead to starvation, they are rather pacifist despite their great strength unless influenced by other races.

Giants led astray from their natural ways are among the scariest foes one could face.

The earth always recovers. I suspect we are not so resilient. It would be really embarassing to be the one species that ran screaming to it's own end where much dumber creatures have lasted millions of years.

On the other hand, you can spin this as ending on your own terms rather than waiting for a giant flaming rock to fall on your head.

Either way, mankind was doomed to die no matter what it did. If nothing else, it would have no recourse once the final red dwarf finally sputtered out and went dark.

>why are we here, on Earth? What is our purpose?
Plastic. Assholes!

>implying we won't be able to create pocket universes by then

Wouldn't that just use up the available energy even faster, meaning those pocket universes would be incredibly short-lived?

Only if entropy works the same in other universes. But what if it doesn't?
So yeah

If it doesn't, we have bigger questions, such as "does time exist here?" I vaguely recall something about entropy enabling time.

Created a race that basically was kinda stone-lobster dudes that could straight up kick anyone's ass in hand-to-hand and were pretty technologically proficient. At the same time they were EXTREMELY cautious and isolationist. Imagine meeting someone else's cat, that kind of skittish. They were TERRIFIED of death, so tried to avoid it like no ones business, but the second they were willing to fight you were basically fucked.

As a result they had a small but terrifying empire that no one power wanted to really fuck with. Several could win, but no single one could make it worth the cost, and none of them would be willing to work together just to crush some weird-ass rock dudes.

Look up black hole farming by isaac arthur on YouTube for a particularly futuristic approach if you want. I don't think sheer quantity is equal to quality through, when it comes to life in general.

That hammer is stupider than a Stormcast Eternal hammer, and that's saying something.

Only if time also works the same. A pocket universe could conceivably be fed energy (and be fed time itself) by eating its parent universe, with no losses.

>user, mankind would go extinct long before the damage got that bad.
user, it is that bad. There's a two mile wide island of plastic garbage in the carribean right now. It's an actual government advisory to wear a mask when going outside on certain days in china. Several coastal cities are virtually guaranteed to be underwater in 50 years. Construction has already begun in some to raise elevation or somehow divert the coming waters acid rain is a thing architects actually have to account for in modern construction. We've continually lose thousands of species from deforestations. Our actions have risen the ph of the oceans, shrinking fish and bizarrely raising jellyfish populations. The end has already started. I for one welcome our new invertebrate overlords.

You realize entropy is a meme, right? The universe is so infinitely large, that your puny brain cannot even comprehend it. Your musings are just as brash and nihilistic as the 'scientist', or should I say poet, who spouted the idea.

The people in charge merely do not want to cause alarm, but we have such a tiny spectrum on the universe, that we could merely be on a tiny tendril of a much larger cosmic plane, where stars are dying and older, but within the middle, like a galaxy, is an order of magnitude stronger and held together. This force could be so great that it would be tangibly *impossible* to extinguish.

Such a concept is just as plausible as the silly 'as the last dwarf planet burns out' meme. Such a timeline would be trillions of years from now. You really do not think we would have no way to recycle matter, as it is never destroyed, and recreate stars? or planets? That we will just never be able to expend an equal amount of force to create? Or even we could expand to such a point where we endlessly recycle the matter that is required for us to function and survive, in an endless cycle that does not allow for outside deviations.

I don't know what you are smoking, but whatever it is, get that faggy ass shit out of here.

The user I was replying to described Permian-Triassic levels of damage, 90% of all life dead. Even a global nuclear holocaust couldn't do that much damage - the Everest-sized space rock still outpaces it.

>the people in charge
Lol. The only conspiracy out there are soulless capitalists trying to cash out while the world burns. US government literally forbids collecting information on rising sea levels on coasts, because within 50 years Florida will be underwater.

Everything should be on the spectrum of Order and Chaos, not Evil vs Good. Evil vs Good makes no sense conceptually except to fully sentient humans. It should actually be Chaos vs Order, and the different species having different relations for this.

I have no troubles Orcs fully embracing Chaos, this just means their levels of threat waver from non-existent to continent-threatening, depending on the year.

He does make a good point.

>OP asks how to make a savage warrior race right
>this sperg stats talking about his lobster OC do not steal race that doesn't fit the description at all

Did you even read the OP?

>garbage patch
Irrelevant, mostly. the only reason the garbage patch formed is because it's in one of the dead-zones in the pacific without currents. i.e. there aren't any nearby ecosystems being completely fucked by it.
>china
China's too cheap and it's economy is too strong to care one dint about inefficient concepts like human happiness and wellbeing. Best not to compare the rest of the world to it.
>costal cities being underwater
How does that relate to anything? I thought we were talking about the literal end of the world; you're just describing billions of dollars of damages.
>acid rain
ibid
>ocean acidification
Biggest thing on your list, you shouldn't have left it for last. A problem, but not a world ending one. Coral species will become less populous, while (most) plankton species will become more populous. Far from an end; It'd be a new begining at worst

Now begone, treehugger!

but its the DOOMhammer

He makes a good point specifically about the fakey, racist aliens written into that movie to gain cheap sympathy from racists. Apply those points to any real culture and it all just feels a jingoistic power fantasy.

But that's really what HFY is in a nutshell.

>Biggest thing on your list, you shouldn't have left it for last
Well I was taught it's always good to finish on your strongest note.

Can't go wrong with Luxans. Proud, noble heritage as warriors. But they don't disparage those who AREN'T warriors. Hell, pic related dreamed of being a simple farmer.

Hyper Rage tends to pigeonhole your professional choices, however.

That sounds dumb as hell.

LOL that weapon

>costal cities being underwater
>How does that relate to anything?
We...live there? Like half of the most populous cities are on coastal estuaries. Which will be ocean in decades. The displacement is going to be huge, and most certainly delayed until it can no longer be held off and becomes an organizational nightmare. It's not doomsday but it's not a minor problem.

>loling
>at a Hyper Rager
GG guy.

I've had this dumb idea for a long time.

Neanderthal orcs. It's unmined gold vein I tell you. This relies on the idea of the neanderthals actually having a bigger brain and thus potentially being smarter than modern humans while contemporary to them. However, all signs point to neanderthals being very static technologically and having little to no art or spiritual/abstract items compared to homo sapien. - and all around being the evolutionary losers in the long term.

Basically neanderthal/orcs are spock like autists that have amazing brain computational ability and memory, but are notably deficient in more abstract, creative, and symbolic thought - as well as being significantly stronger than than the average human. They also have a smaller dunbar number of peers they can get along with. Humans being around 150 - 300 tribesmen and being able to function more or less in larger empires, while neanderthal/orc capping out at around 40 (basically extended family) before major distrust/dehumanization/grudges starts setting in. They are basically over genetically engineered to their environment but lack adaptivity. Nor can they unify easily. Apex hunter-gatherers that can't adapt to a new world easily. They are in natural biological competition to humans representing a high investment (calories, territory need, etc) evolution strategy in a pre-civlization lifestyle that resists post-agrarian human expansion.

It would explain why orc like savage races are such good fighters, but aren't dominating the world. They would make amazing engineers or blacksmiths, if trained properly, but horrible inventors or poets. Supreme athletes and decent tacticians on home turf, but mediocre to incompetent field marshals.

This doesn't mean they're any less emotional or loving of their in group. Just that their group is much smaller and their mindset literally somewhat alien to a human. I would think, in examples, the Wendol from 13th Warrior with shades of Sten from Dragon Age.

Neanderthals are clearly dwarves: shorter, hairier, physically sturdier and severely autistic.

Why not combine both?

They commit all sorts of atrocities and take joy in killing people but they do it because they believe it shows their superiority to others, particularly those of other races. Outside of battle they can be proud of the culture that they believe to be superior to all others and conduct themselves with dignity to reflect that pride. They are not opposed to meeting with other races under peaceful conditions but the orcs will most likely treat them like shit unless they somehow proved themselves worthy of respect.

What in the fuck is a hyper rager

Here's what I'm doing in my setting, tell me how you like it
>Orcs are the big, stronk warrior race that are being manipulated by demons
>Against their will, they're forced to fight against the civilized races
>Hoping that the party is driven by the "muh noble savages" meme (the bard really likes OG Warcraft), they fight the demons and liberate the orcs
>Turns out the only reason why the orcs were subsceptible to demonic influence is how destructive they were in the first place
>At least all of their tribes arre now in conflict again, making them slightly less dangerous

How about instead of being a race of hats, there are multiple orc cultures, making space for both "noble savage" types and rampaging warrior types, and maybe some "We have been fighting off demonic invasions since when your race wasn't even a thing, and have became exceedingly good at it, but sure, human paladin, try to tell me how to do the thing my ancestors have been doing for multiple millennia"

>How about instead of being a race of hats, there are multiple orc cultures, making space for both "noble savage" types and rampaging warrior types

I agree with this. You could even throw in a group of Orcs who are like the Ondonti from FR.

I should preempt my thing about Orcs with the fact that Elves in my setting aren't a playable race, being highly secretive, inscrutable, and generally killing anyone who wanders too deep into their territory (which is pretty much anywhere in the deep woods and literally anywhere within ten miles of Elven Ruins. Humans are bigger underdogs in this setting than the "standard") they are also truly immortal, as in you can trace the actions of a single elf back thousands of years, and no one has ever seen an elven child. Half elves are a completely different creature, but I won't go into that here.

Here's the thing. Everything I just said above applies to orcs. A single orc can be traced back through history for ages and ages. They never die, they never breed, and for the most part, nobody can identify gender in either race. Elves are shockingly beautiful to the point that it's impossible to tell if you're dealing with a man or woman, and Orcs are so warped and monstrous that you end up in the same situation.

The only differences are thus: Orcs don't have "homes" they stick to. They wander around seemingly aimless, almost exclusively by night (Orcs aren't sensitive to bright light, people have tried that, and the sun doesn't burn them. The closest we can gather is that every single Orc ever seen in daylight was hiding from the sunlight out of fear. They are unanimously terrified of the sun, for some reason.)

Orcs are known for their feral might and ruthlessness, but the truth is, if you don't get between them and where they're going, they're more than likely just going to leave you alone, unless something has them stirred up. You have better odds of surviving an Orc wandering through town than, say, walking into the woods where you know elves live. The problem is that orcs tend to attract followers. Goblins worship them, and tend to flock to their side in what they view as holy pilgrimages. continued.

continued.

So goblins flock to Orcs and, when an Orc decides that village is the best route to wherever it's going, the goblins sack the village. Attacking the goblins isn't guaranteed to draw the Orc's ire, but it definitely putting yourself in more danger than if you'd stayed in the cellar, so most small villages without a wall or dedicated guardians from the local lord usually just swallow their pride and offer the Orc tribute, and ask it to go around. Orcs not in the middle of ravening or slaughtering are absent-minded, almost in a trance, and nature aside they are still sapient, so attempts to appeal to the creature's pride and strength and offerings of valuables or fresh meat will usually convince the Orc to simply wander around. As for the Goblins, they take it as a sign of supplication to their literal walking God, so if the Orc doesn't take offense, neither will they.

The green orc clearly skipped leg day.

I thought I wouldn't like it but this is actually pretty cool

Just give them the old Vikings twist, but use the more obscure tales this time.
Like that time Vikings became the elite house gaurd of the sultans
Or that time they were recruited into the Army's of the Keivan Rus.
Actually, just do them as a race of mercenarys, that's not over done yet.

You could stop playing with people who scream cliche at the first sign of anything even slightly unoriginal.

Those are kinda the most likely ways such a race would play out. Either they'd become bullies or they'd try to discipline themselves so they don't end up in a state of perpetual conflict.

Sounds a lot like Scandinavian trolls, with some of the folklore aspects removed (eating children, changing shape, etc)

This. What kind of shit people do you play with if you feel the need to tiptoe around their tantrum triggers when presenting them with a game environment?

you could attempt to mix both memes but then you would be getting a Not!Vikings race.

>Big stronk warrior race that runs around pillaging, burning villages, and eating people
>Just another boring cardboard cutout orc

>Gorillas are fragile
You what son?

There's no big = fragile law mate

gorillas are fucking manlets, he meant more like dinosaur-big

Pretty sure most big stronk warrior races are gorilla-big, not dinosaur-big

Completely off topic but the way this shot is framed looks like someone in the background is carrying an anime bodypillow into battle

Turns out the overly large gruff and strong barbarian race are actually a highly advanced and technologically advance species, how ever it is largely populated with individuals who prefer to life a more rustic lifestyle as using technology or permanent structures is playing on easy mode.

Those who follow the pursuit of technology are considered weak for trying to pamper themselves and are politely asked to camp somewhere else.

>However, all signs point to neanderthals being very static technologically and having little to no art or spiritual/abstract items compared to homo sapien.
Absolutely wrong. Also, neanderthals were homo sapiens too

>going into battle without your Waifu

Its like you don't understand the importance of keeping up Moral

>neanderthals were homo sapiens too
still up for debate

>It's not doomsday
Well then why bring it up in a conversation about doomsday?

>Is there a way to do a primitive race that's inherently larger and stronger than any others in a way that isn't kind of overused and bland by now?
Swedes are one of the tallest ethnicities around, make your race like them, but with less technology

Breeding and having fertile offspring wouldn't have been possible if they were another species

You're an idiot. Civilization isn't a drug. It's a disease, and we are it's symptoms. One day we'll infect a new planet and wear away its immune system. Maybe many. Earth isn't a planet, it's patient zero.

HFY shit aside, I really like how in an unused scene in the script, when generalguy walks outside, literally all wildlife in the area focuses solely on killing him, because he's just that much of a threat.

two miles. Ha, two miles!

It's the size of texas. And it's in the pacific.