What is your opinon on duo characters? Have you ever played a a PC Duo? If yes, worked it out? Do you want it...

What is your opinon on duo characters? Have you ever played a a PC Duo? If yes, worked it out? Do you want it, but have no partner or no idea? Had you one in your group? Tell your ideas experiences and storys, teegee.

For example, I allways liked the idea of these two, but would it change it up a bit. So my basic idea is currently, two exiled princes/nobles who where both abadoned by their family and stripped of their claim to the throne, because both of them were crippled. While the younger brother is highly intellegent and a talented mage, he is weak and frail and his legs are crippled, the older brother is a strong and fearsome warrior but really really dumb and naive. The travel trough the lands, the older brother carrying the younger on his back nearly all the time and protecting him, while the younger brother functions as the brains and face, doing the speaking and trading and helping him with his problems.

All these "Hurr durr Bert & Ernie are a gay couple" jokes piss me off. Not because they ruin childhood icons, I'm on Veeky Forums so that shit is as natural to me as breathing, but because it's such low hanging fruit. Aren't there more creative ways where you can play with that formula?

>Bert & Ernie are running a secret drug lab
>Bert pursued a serious degree while Ernie wasted his time banging bitches in college and convinced Bert to let him move in
>Ernie has some serious dirt on Bert, forcing him to tolerate whatever Ernie does
Try SOMETHING. Yes, I'm complaining that you're not raping my childhood hard enough.

yeah, i was part of a duo for a whole 2 sessions, then the other half got killed in one hit. it was not worth the effort.

I'm currently in a game where one of the other players has an airheaded warlock elf and also plays her possibly demonic wiseass raven who never stops berating her and everyone while being one of the more competent members of the party.

The raven's entirely the more fun part of the duo.

I did once in some module campaign that was some super hard dungeon crawl. Everyone rolled two characters so I made a pair of fighters named rock and roll and took as many teamwork feats as I could for them. Another guy in the group had a druid with a huge praying mantis for an animal companion or something that he had take all the teamwork feats too. That was a fun game

My ideal game would involve me and a friend playing bard and rogue based on Miguel and Tulio from The Road to El Dorado running Tomb of Annihilation

Paladin/Bard combo would be fun to play along the veins of Don Quixote and Sancho Panza

Currently playing a pair of adventuring peasants with my twin brother named Cain and Abel Wahl, just looking to make enough cash to start up their own farm and retire from adventuring but they keep getting themselves into more important quests each time they try and do so. I love these two.
Cain wall is a Barbarian, he's loud, obnoxious, straight forward, drunken, passionate, and overtly friendly when he needs to be while his brother, Abel, is an Undead Light Cleric who continues believing in the light after death claiming that "it never did no harm or nuthing to him even after all this". He's otherwise the more serious, fraternal, polite, and reasonable of the two.
Their basic story is that their town was attacked by a very powerful, yet inexperienced necromancer. And that by the time Cain, had escaped, Abel had fallen to the Necromancer. Eventually, Abel broke free of his servitude as did a few other of the Necromancer's servants and he met back up with Cain at this old, hallowed out tree that the two used to play in when they were children. Reunited, they set off on a simple adventure to earn themselves a respectable amount of gold and earn themselves a farm to settle down in.

>Virgin Farmer vs Chad Laborer

I was in a Call of Cthulhu one-shot at a con that was based on the Tintin book Red Rackham's Treasure, and the GM had had Thomson and Thompson statted as one character with some special rules and altered stats.

Not sure if that's what you mean by a duo but it was pretty entertaining (since his player was one of the 3 people who already knew the series, the other two being myself and the GM.)

My current character is a ninja buttler to the crazy gambler noble my friend is playing. I'm a highly optimized build to kill and criple enemies, but boss won't let me do it. Whenever i break his rules i'm honor bound to punish myself, but he has forbiden me from doing so.

One of my first times playing DnD my friend and I made two characters, and were the only 2 playing in this campaign.
I was a Half-Ifreet noble trying to prove to his Family he deserved to rule by conquering a region of his own, and my friend made a Half-Dao Outlander who was hired by my character to be his body guard, but stayed with him because it was the first time he ever met another half-genie (Genasi from Elemental Evil).
Ended up after my Character conquered Yartar and became the Waterbaron the other guy killed him before he could go full Ivan the Terrible.
10/10 would duo again.

Like this?

So, Raistlin and Caramon, only worse?

I've always wanted to run a dragon-riding campaign for PF. There' just so much content to choose from for making different dragons. I'd have the players flesh out their dragon's personality just as much as their PC, but there exists three possible problems. One, if players RP'd for their own dragons, there could just be long bouts of players literally talking to themselves. Two, if I as the DM RP'd for their dragons then I could probably fuck up the player's intended personalities and that may cause a little friction. Three, if I had players play either a dragon or a rider only, then there would be serious problems if we had an uneven number or someone had to miss a session, plus the players wouldn't be able to really get the dragon bro they wanted.

I dunno, which way sounds the best to you guys?

I am in a Pathfinder Campaign, and following a near total party wipe, everyone but the ranger had to re-roll characters.
In a spontaneous decision I decided to play a Gnome Paladin obsessed with home-making and cleanliness, whilst my friend played a Human Swashbuckler who is a nobleman in a foreign land, idea being I'm his manservant on his irresponsible adventures, and when he goes home or settles down, I get knighted.
Though to tell the truth I am a homebrew CG Paladin of The Drunk Hero who's an idiot and irresponsible, and he's a CN dick-waffle who is somewhat smarter but just as irresponsible, so instead of having a straight guy-wacky guy routine it boils down to.
"Hey, that wasn't very 'Noble' of you! Letting the whorehouse burn down after you forgot to pay."
"You think? Well I didn't see you rushing into the flames to extinguish them, you 'shining knight' of virtue you."
Rinse and repeat, going well so far, I just aim for it to be sad when one of us dies.

>All these "Hurr durr Bert & Ernie are a gay couple" jokes
Disregard the characters, think about the people behind them. Could man possibly remain straight when his daily job is spending hours and hours again elbow deep in somebody?

Personally I'd say let them play as both since usually people feel like a jackass talking to themselves and not being a GM. Which could be another problem entirely but it depends on what you want really.
Also, it never hurts to ask your player's opinion on the matter. Even have a couple one-shots to test each options.

Every time someone has attempted a duo, it has fallen apart because only one of the duo ever attends the game. The rest of the party stays stable, but there's some kind of curse on games I'm in that prevent duos from happening.

It's fucking uncanny, something always comes up to prevent it from working. One of them will get married, or their house will burn down, or they'll get promoted at work and their schedule will change, or their dog will burn down, or his wife forbids him from playing (for some reason, it's never the other way around), or some other contrived bullshit just swoops right in and ruins it.

He means a duo as in a true duo, with one player playing two characters simultaneously.

That seems like more work than it's worth.

They are a gay couple though, just like oscar the grouch is a mentally unstable homeless man, big bird is mentally retarded, and other stuff like that. That's literally the purpose of those characters. I can appreciate you being tired of it as a joke in the same sense that someone declaring professional wrestling is fake though (I mean they have soap opera tier stuff between matches)

Me and my brother played 12-year-old twin psychics for a while. It was pretty nice.

>their house will burn down
That's an oddly specific example you give there, friend. Care to regale us with the story of your friend's house burning down?

No story behind it, just an example of some bullshit swooping in from nowhere to take away a player.

>>Bert & Ernie are running a secret drug lab
Ernie, it's time to cook.

I've wanted to play the glassiest of glass canons, a physically handicapped gnome wizard that has to be carried around by members of the party and or an animal companion

I mean, two players playing two characters, that are build up, be it from their backstory, their character or their skills to act as a duo. For example, two silblings that only have each other left, two twin brothers that are agents/thieves and use their same looks alpha legion style, a rider and his dragon, where one plays the rider, one the dragon, just two PCs from two players, that are meaned to play as a duo, and logically both players should have planned how they want to play them

I've been thinking about playing a duo of tortles for a 5e game. Their names are Slow and Steady, Slow is a Monk with the Mobile feat, and Steady is a dual wielding Swashbuckler Rogue

My friend and I have not-Robocop and not-Inspector Gadget warforged planned

Sound pretty rad.